UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2019 Match Threads

2019 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Marquette Match

Get Flyered-up, Christmas came early. Sweet 16 is back in play ladies and gentlemen.

Flyers running on the court after winning the A10 Championship was just shown on ESPN show.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-06-2019)
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2019, 09:50 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers play at 430 on Friday. If they win, they play winner on Saturday at 7pm.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-02-2019), Glen Clark (12-02-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-01-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
175 miles to West Lafayette. NCAA allows 15 players to suit up and a total party of 25 on the bench, staff, etc paid by NCAA. Any above that UD picks up the tab, but I’m sure every player will travel. Program probably has to buy the tickets for all above 25 too. UD has a large roster of 18. We will eat up that 25 fast.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:39 PM

There is a link on the website schedule page that has coverage by BTN+.
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:51 PM

I just chatted with BTN+. No subscription is needed to see this streaming coverage. Woo hoo. I still haven’t cancelled my tOSU subscription from that match earlier in the season. I should stop and do it now. I won’t. Love donating money.
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-04-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 07:53 AM

Heads up to all fans headed to West Lafayette this weekend. They have a clear bag policy for safety. No purses, seat cushions, fanny-packs, diaper bags, back packs ,etc. you can only carry in a clear plastic bag/small tote no more that 12” x 12” x 6”. Hope this saves all the husbands from having to run back to the car with your wife’s purse.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:08 AM

First a fun fact about Marquette against the other three teams...all-time records...7-21 against Dayton, 0-2 against Purdue, and 1-3 against Wright State.

Breaking down the different positions/players between Dayton and Marquette, since our schedule is much weaker than the Golden Eagles, (31 to 78 per figstats on Friday morning) and it’s where you are today, not back on Labor Day, I looked at the last two matches. UD beat RPIs 47 and 115. Marquette went 1-1 against RPIs 61 and 62. SLU was 115’ and played their best match of the year going 5 sets against UD. The Flyers are at 44 and Marquette’s at 14 Friday morning.

Middle Blockers:
Amelia - 250 Recruit - 6’5”, rFR, 1.06 Blk/s, .333 H%
Olivia - NR - 6’4”, rJR, 1.21 Blk/s, .167 H%

Orf - 39 Recruit - 6’3”, JR, .92 Blk/s, .167 H%
Jones - 100 Recruit - 6’3”, SR, .62 Blk/s, .054 H%

Marquette has more experience and higher recruits at this position, but Dayton’s MBs are playing better. Advantage: DAYTON

Right OH:
Sierra - 125 Recruit - 6’3” SR, .78 Blk/s, .381 H%

Marquette uses a two Right OH Offense, so I combined their stats.
Vander Berg - 250 Recruit - 6’2” FR
Koontz - 250 Recruit - 6’1”, SO - .38 Blk/s, .159 H%

UD will need to pass well so they can feed the ball to Sierra, and she will need to play at the level of the last two matches. She will also be hitting against Marquette’s tallest and best player. Sierra and our MBs will be responsible for stopping Barber and another good OH. . On the flip side, their Right OHs will have to find a way to stop JPete and Alli. We are better blockers on this side, but they are probably better hitters at the left OH position. This is a critical battle in the war. Sierra is better than their two Right sides, but can she beat their left OHs both offensively and defensively? If she can continue her play from the A10 tourney, the answer is “ yes”. Advantage: DAYTON

Left Outside Hitters:
Jamie Peterson - 73 Recruit - 6’4”, rSO, .78 Blk/s, .178 H%
Alli Papesh - 66 Recruit - 6’1”, SO, .56 Blk/s, .266 H%

Barber - 45 Recruit - 6’5”, SR, .50 Blk/s, .223 H%
Werch - 78 Recruit - 6’1”, SR, .38 Blk/s, .261 H%

This one is very close. Our left OHs are better blockers and that will play into stopping Marquette’s two right side hitters. Barber and Werch will have to stop Sierra. They are more effective hitters. What tips the scale is they are both seniors. Advantage: MARQUTTE

Setters:
Both teams use a two setter offense, but they are different. Marquette’s setters both come out of the back row to set, which means they can not play above the net. Theat limits their ability to attack on the second touch. Bridget also sets out of the back row, so it limits her attack efforts, but she is good at dumping the ball. Josie sets out of the front row and can attack and block above the net, which she does very well. I combined the setter stats.

Bridget - 250 Recruit - 5’10”, JR - 11.37 Asst/s, .366 H%, 2.63 Digs/s
Josie - NR - 6’, SO - .246 Team H%

Speckman - 75 Recruit - 5’9”, SR - 11.0 Asst/s, 0.00 H%, 3.75 Digs/s
Rose - NR - 5’7”, SO - .317 Team H%

You don’t want your setter digging the ball. That’s a first touch. You want your setter taking the second touch, so Dayton wins that stat. But Marquette’s Team H% is outstanding the last two matches, and it didn’t come from their left OHs. However, it was driven by the Villanova match. Our setters are as good as I’ve seen in attacking. Back in 2010, we played UNI up in Minnesota and they had a setter, Bre Peyton, that could attack like Josie does. Peyton ended her career as a 2X second team AA. Josie is close to that level with her attacks. Adavatage: EVEN

LIbero/DS:
Maura - 250 Recruit - SO - 13.11 Digs/s
Liz - NR - SO
Jordan -NR - SR
JPete - 78 Recruit - rSO

Konovodoff - 250 Recruit - JR - 8.88 Digs/s
Werch - 78 Recruit - SR
Vander Berg - 250 Recruit - FR

Marquette has two OHs that go 6-rotations, we only have JPete, so we use more DSs. Because of that I also looked at Digs/s for the teams as a whole. It wasn’t close. UD - 16.7 to 14.0. The most noted thing here is we are also a better blocking team than Marquette - 2.43 to 1.60 per set. 1.60 is not good. When you’re not a good blocking team you have more dig opportunities. I was surprised by this stat. I have also seen over on volleytalk several comments on Marquette after their conference tournament saying they are not a good passing team. Advantage: DAYTON

EXPERIENCE:

This one is easy to look up. More Elite recruits on the floor. More juniors and seniors. Advantage: MARQUETTE

Coaching Staff:

I’d say the head coaches are even, but Dayton is the only team in this pod that has anyone with a championship ring and Alyssa D’Errico has FOUR. Advantage: DAYTON

Dayton wins this match. Blocking and our ability to dig up their attacks as well as our serving pressure will be the difference. Early in the year, we were learning to keep the ball in play while serving tough. We had a lot of service errors early in the year. Then we got into the A10 season and the service errors dropped off, but they came back a little at the end of the season against the tougher teams. I think we have learned to balance that out when it’s so important to get an aggressive serve in. On the flip side, we have to handle their serves and pass really well. Maura will lead that charge by example and by leadership from the back row. Her performances the last two matches have been on a whole new level.

FLYERS WIN 3-1

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-06-2019 at 09:46 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (12-06-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-06-2019), Radar (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Marquette preview

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2019/...-dayton-flyers
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Columbia Blue For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-06-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Marquette preview

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2019/...-dayton-flyers
This is a pretty good review from looking at stats. They don’t have everything right, but I understand you have to guess at some things with stats. I tried to get a video of a late season Marquette Match to figure out who was really playing right side OH for them. I couldn’t find anything. I knew it wasn’t Barber, but had to go with the number of attack attempts off stats to use the most likely probability. They have done the same.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:18 PM

Wanted to add, Purdue has never lost a first round match. That’s pretty impressive. WSU has generated some firsts this year, so maybe they have one more in their pocket. If I had had more time, I would have looked at if they played and taller and stronger teams to get a gage how their speed will play out against Purdue.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:34 PM

I tried to look at ncaa stats yesterday for a couple matches. Their stat package is terrible. They have a video above it so it’s hard to access the links/segments. Plus I don’t like the options to view. I like split Box with play by play rolling on the same page. I do not know what package/software have. Sidearm is better.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:38 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
I tried to look at ncaa stats yesterday for a couple matches. Their stat package is terrible. They have a video above it so it’s hard to access the links/segments. Plus I don’t like the options to view. I like split Box with play by play rolling on the same page. I do not know what package/software have. Sidearm is better.
Don't get me started on Genius Sports.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:39 PM

Marquette had all their players introduced and go out on the floor. Dayton non-starters didn’t go out. It’s because it’s Marquettes last match this season.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:52 PM

Media timeout. Marquette up 15-14 but UD has been leading. We can take this set. Our serve is causing them problems.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Don't get me started on Genius Sports.
We have no stats.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:57 PM

TO UD. Just made a couple errors after getting it to 17-17. It’s 19-17 Mar. time to take it to another level. Down the line is open - we’ve scored 4 points going there.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:00 PM

Great diving save bu JPete and then a Maura ace. We’ve had 3 this set. TO Mar up 21-20. UD serving.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:04 PM

2 errors - back row attack foot-fault and and ace at I think Brooke who came into serve 3 points ago.
Set point Mar 24-21
Old 12-06-2019, 05:06 PM

UD kill and an ace by Alli off the tape. 23-24 Mar - TO. Fight back girls! This would be huge to win this set.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:10 PM

Mar block - there first one - gives them the set 25-23.

They had 3 three point runs. We had no more than 2-point runs. That was the difference.

Also, we’ve had several block-touches on Barber and one block on her. We need to stuff her a couple times this set.

We can win this. Need to jump on them early and push out to 5-6 point lead. Keep the pressure on.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Ask and you shall receive. UD up 6-1. And we won a challenge review - Alli down the line and they had a touch.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Dayton is now challenging something on a long rally we lost. I have no sound either. Whatever it was we lost the challenge. 3-6 UD.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:30 PM

UD has 4 service errors sine 8-8. Mar up 13-17. TO Flyers. Our first. Need a run starting with a good pass.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:37 PM

UD fought back to 19-20, but last two points go to Mar. TO UD at 19-22.
Bring it. Down the line is open.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:40 PM

Marquette scores the last 5 points to win 25-19 and go up 2-0. Gotta dig deep and take it to another level. I don’t know how many pancake saves Mar has had, but some of these have got to start finding the floor.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:40 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
25-19 Marquette second set - after Flyers led 6-1. Not good.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Peterson May be having the worst match of her career.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2019, 06:02 PM

UD up 17-16 after two JPete kills and a total miss hit by Amelia that dropped. TO Mar.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:08 PM

Two blocks and a kill and Mar is up 20-19. TO Flyers.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:11 PM

23-21 Mar. UD takes their final TO
Old 12-06-2019, 06:12 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Too much Ali Barber. Peterson comes close to her, but Barber is a stud.

I thought Papish played really well tonight.

Great season, just missing a few pieces.

Last edited by jack72; 12-06-2019 at 06:15 PM..
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 PM

22-25 Mar sweeps. Horsmon was right, they are a good side out team. We never had more than a 3point run and only a few of those. They went on several 4-point runs and one 5-pointer.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Marquette takes set 3 and match - 25-22 - after Flyers led 19-17. Just too many mistakes.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:23 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
If I can provide a tennis analogy. We are the dangerous singles player with a wicked forehand. But we double-fault at least once a game and run around our forehand so much that opponents know to hit to our backhand because its just not nearly as reliable.

We got beat by a better team. And pretty much every loss this year was to a better team. That was the reality. It was a large sample size too so there's no real getting around where our ceiling was -- good bad or indifferent we basically reached it. Might be disappointing but it is what it is.

Marquette, like most of the teams we lost to, did not necessarily excel at making plays. They excelled at minimizing mistakes/unforced errors. Fewer hands in the net, fewer feet on the 10ft line, fewer double hits, fewer receive bonks. Each match they just added up and in each set today they ultimately cost us. When this team got a good receive and set, we were about on par with all of them from Florida to A&M to Marquette. It was getting there that proved a struggle and too often we got in the way of ourselves.

We should be better next year. We lose some talent, but we also bring a lot back and add another sequoia to go with Moore. Speaking of Moore. She got better as the year went on. If we can keep improving her slide she can take more heat off JPete.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".