UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 11:31 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,098 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Westbeld transferring..

...headed to Indiana.

She may have graduated from UD since she is in her 4th yr.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-09-2020), Glen Clark (01-09-2020)
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2020, 10:15 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Becky, how big of a loss is Westbeld?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:53 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
That’s a question that has multiple layers to the answer. Let’s start with her best season as a Flyer...the 2018 season. She played 6 rotations. She split the setting duties with Bridget Doherty, both setting from the 3 backrow rotations. But Brooke also played the 3 front row rotations as the Rightside hitter. Those duties resulted in record setting triple-doubles. (Assists, kills, Digs). She earned Honorable Mention All-American honors after that season. Unfortunately, that is her highlight reel as a Flyer.

She came to Dayton as the #23 ranked recruit in her class in 2016. But as a freshman she was redshirted because she wasn’t ready to play at this level. The next year, she again could not beat out Jane Emmenecker for the setting job. She did contribute some that year at Setter in a few matches we used 2-setters. But her placement of the set to hitters was off and needed work. She was better than her true freshman year, but not where the team needed her to be. Emmenecker could deliver better sets to the hitters. So Brooke played some Rightside OH her redshirt freshman year - her 2nd year with the team in 2017. I remeber after that season posting in the off-season Brooke needed to find a higher gear and play with more urgency and aggressiveness. I never really saw Brooke crush the ball. Her arm swing seemed slow. She didn’t seem to go after balls - both swinging and blocking - with an urgency.

Following her 2018 AA season, I expected continued growth this last season. That didn’t seem to come. It’s hard to say too much because so many of the pre-conference matches were not streamed, so I only saw her play about 5-6 matches in 2019. Then she suffered some injury issues and could never get back into the starting rotation. I heard...not confirmed...her shoulder off-season work was not 100% healed. I heard she broke a finger. And I heard she was under concussion protocol towards the end of the season.

At the same time, Josie Vondran came in and started playing great taking over the 3 front row rotations and Bridget continued to set from the backrow. Because of that, I expected Josie and Bridget to be our setters next year. I expected Brooke to finish her career as out Rightside OH. She would replace Pla who graduated.

At Setter, we are in great shape. Josie brings an aggressive attack mentality. She is left-handed which allows her to attack when she sees holes across the net. She is also quicker that Brooke and her placement is better. She will be a junior next season. She will probably be named the most improved player this past year, and I expect even greater improvement next year.

So where are we at Rightside OH? Horsmon used Brooke’s scholarship to bring in grad transfer Mahalia Swing from Alabama. I don’t know a lot about her. She took an injury redshirt year last year. I believe it was a shoulder issue. She has played both left and right OH spots. Her blocking stats were around .75 and .65 and those are great numbers for the OH positions. You need a great blocker at right OH. She appears to be a better blocker than Brooke was. But the biggest advantage Swink can bring to next year’s team is if she can play 6 rotations. That will give us 4 hitters on the court at all times and two of those hitters can hit from anywhere on the court - both front and back rows. We would not have had that with Brooke. And defenses will not be able to cheat over to Jamie Peterson when we are out of system, because that will leave Mihalia open from the back row.

I’ve never seen Swink play, so time will tell if she can win the right pin job and go 6 rotations. But if that happens, we will be better. Spring matches just took on greater importance. Hopefully we can have a strong spring schedule to get tested.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-10-2020), jack72 (01-10-2020), Radar (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 07:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
how big of a loss is Westbeld?
About 6'2"

bada bing. sorry, long day
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:01 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
About 6'2"

bada bing. sorry, long day
Swing is 6’1”’ so we do lose an inch. But if a player has all the shots and can get up on blocks and penetrate over the net, you don’t need that inch.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
I was really surprised she didn't play this year because I thought she was great in 2018. But I think her success was because she was a great 6 rotation player, rather than the setter we needed. It seems like she didn't fit Horsmon's preferred offense.

In the absence of Jaime Peterson being the best 6 rotation player, Brooke filled that role and filled it surprisingly well since its normally the OH that fills that role. Neither Bruns as the OH1 or Papesh as the OH2 played in the back row, so Brooke played all 6. She became a true weapon attacking from the Right Side while Bridget was in the back row. She also had 294 digs. She clearly was very coach-able and willing to take on any task.

Brooke had arguably her best match in the 2018 A-10 Championship match against VCU. 12 kills (including the Championship winning kill) with only 2 errors. 4 service aces (a personal best) and 16 digs.

Its a big loss to lose someone who can do so many things as well as she can. It hurts our depth and its a loss to leadership.
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 11:09 AM

Agree Brooke’s best season by far was 2018. No one was more surprise to see TH changed the offense this season than me. I was expecting Brooke to lead the nation in triple doubles last year since she finished tied for second in 2018. We still used a 2-Setter offense last year, but it was different. In 2018, Bridget played 3 rotations - all in the back row setting. Brooke played 3 rotations in the front row as the right side OH when Bridget was in the game. They played opposite each other. So when Bridget came out, Brooke rotated into the backrow and played setter for her 3 backrow rotations.

This year, they both played only 3 backrow rotations - basically subbing in and out at the same time with two other players. Both only set.

As fans we don’t have the benefit of going back to watch video of matches from two years ago, nor do we get passing grades or see players in practice. So I have to trust the coaching staff decision to make this change. And to be fair, it might not have had anything to do with Brooke. It very well could have to do with serve receive more than anything.

In 2018, with our setters both setting from the backrow, they would be “hidden” in serve receive because you do not want them taking the first touch. Your setter needs to be available to take the second touch. So in 2018 we used two OHs (for 3 rotations each) to be our third player in serve receive. This season, we basically only had JPete to drop back in serve receive when Bridget was in the back row and we had to hide her so she could take the second touch. And to be honest, Serve receive is the hardest thing to do on a volleyball court, and JPete struggled at times. For her second year on the court, her serve receive performance was probably ok, but teams went after her because she was our weakest receiver. I’m sure it’s an area she will be looking to improve in the off-season.

So I don’t think the loss of Westbeld is a setter “loss” question. I think it’s a question about what skills/talents Brooke would have brought to the team this coming year vs. what skills/talents does the grad transfer Swink bring and which fit our needs the most. I believe both would have been/are pencilled in to play right side OH.

Here is what Swink brings. First, in the press announcement, TH said she played 2 years with a shoulder injury. She took an injury redshirt last year. My assumption is it was to heal her shoulder. Her sophomore and junior years she blocked at .75 and .64 per set. Solid blocking numbers for an OH. The middle blocker has to do her job too, but I think she can get her block number close to .90. Brooke’s 2018 blocking stats - all as the right OH - .52 per set. I think Swink is a better blocker than Brooke. TH noted she was a good blocker in the announcement.

It is correct that Brooke had good dig numbers in 2018. She averaged 2.49 per set. It was second behind our Libero Margo Wolf that year. Clearly teams targeted Brooke when she was in the back row playing setter. But you don’t want your setter taking the first touch. You can hide her in serve receive and drop an OH back to have three players handle the serve. But you can’t hide her when the other team is attacking. She has to cover/defend part of the court - which was the back right zone. On those plays, she took the first touch which meant someone else had to set - putting us in out-of-System. Not were we want to be.
And neither setter in 2018 took serve receive as discussion above.

Swink will take serve receive and we need another front row player that can receive to help take some of the pressure off JPete. We don’t know Brooke’s passing grade because that stat isn’t reported. We don’t know if Brooke can serve receive. We know she hasn’t serve received in college and it’s difficult. And we can probably assume if she could serve receive, TH would have used her as the right OH last year instead of Pla, and dropped her back to receive. That didn’t happen. In Swink’s announcement, TH said she can play the “whole game” meaning 6 rotations, and will help our “side out offense”. That means serve receive. When the other team serves, if you can handle that serve and pass it to the setter accurately, you have a very high percentage chance to score off their serve - limiting them to one serve and not letting them go on runs. This team needs that skill. Swink has it.

Finally, Brooke is a better hitter than Swink based on stats. How much of that was Swink playing with a shoulder not 100%? Who knows? How much of it was the setter delivering the ball putting the hitter in a good position to complete a kill? Who knows? How much of it was the back row players delivering good passes to the setter so she could make a good set? Who knows?

We do know Dayton was the better offensive team. As a team, Dayton hit .252 and .272 the last two years. Alabama was horrible, hitting .219 and .182. Time will tell if Swink is as good offensively as Brooke. But, next year’s team needs Swinks other skills more than needing her to be a hitter. She will be probably be 4th or maybe even 5th in attempts. JPete, Allie and Amelia will get more swings than whoever plays right OH. Freshman MB Laney Yates is the 51st ranked recruit. She might get more. Our setters take way above average number of swings because they are great at it. We need a good serve receiver and solid blocker more than a hitter. TH & Co went out and got those skills. It isn’t a matter of which player is the better player, it’s a matter of what do we need to be better and what player has those skills. I wish Brooke all the best at Indiana, but for Dayton, this could be a blessing and a opportunity to address needs.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Indiana's announcement https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/1/1...20-roster.aspx

They refer to her as a 5th Yr Senior, rather than a grad transfer. Can she play immediately if Dayton agrees or does she have to sit a year? Seem to remember that in VB you can play without sitting if releasing school agrees.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:35 PM

She can play immediately. She has not graduated from UD. But that might mean she will graduate this spring or she has the cr3fits but is picking up another degree before she actually graduates? I had heard she would finish her undergrad at UI.