UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
2017 UD Men's Soccer Season Preview

Link: http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31134

Its one of those seasons where we never had a chance to personally evaluate in the preseason. The loss of Abubakar was huge, but also the defections of Nwabia and others is not making things easier. Huge new class, many internationals as usual.

I think this team will be challenged most nights. Schedule is soft so there are some Ws, but the margin is thin. If we can keep score down we have a shot.

The larger issue for me is the overall trajectory of the program and the constant roster turnover. Seems like we're never building for anything and instead fielding a new team every year. Im not sure this has proven to be successful.

In the last decade are we happy and content with where we are at. Thats the question. Yes we've won many more games than we lost, but so many of those wins are over the worst teams in college soccer. What are our signature wins in the last 10 years? Any regular season win ever ring a national bell? The 2 NCAAs and 2 A10 titles are good -- and firsts for the program. But are we COMPETITIVELY better off than 10-12 years ago? Im not sure we are. You have to look at it from a different angle. Were Schureck still coaching, would we have reached a couple NCAAs by now? My guess is yes. Eventually it was going to happen. His teams were in the Top-25 a couple times. Tough losses in A10 semis in shootouts. But those were good teams. Brought in good players that went MLS. League was arguably better back then.

Just saying if this is who we've become, are we content with this. 13-4-3 seasons with occasional .500 year but never anything bigger than what we do in the A10. If we're content, then there is nothing to do. If we're not content, I think we have to start asking if the pieces are in place to change that. After a decade, I thought we'd be much further along but thats just one man's opinion. I would rather be 10-7-2 every year and win some Top-25 games and earn some at-larges.

We won the A10 in 2015. Hasnt been that long. But two seasons later we were under .500. Far more winning years than losing for sure. But Im just not seeing a sustained climb where a good year changes recruiting and we have an even better year, schedule better, and change the fish pond we're in. I feel like we're in the exact same fish pond as year 2000 and in 2000 Baujan was half as good as it is now, the lockers were atrocious, practice fields atrocious, and we issued fewer scholarships.

Not blaming any person, player, or administrator. Everybody with fingers in the pot has a hand in this. Just asking the tough questions.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-23-2017), The Fly (08-23-2017)
Advertisement