UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
https://www.mavs.com/92058-2/
If you are a Debbie Downer on Kostas, don't read this article. It will spoil your day. Rick Carlisle knows where every player is re development in the Mavs organization. He would NEVER bring Kostas up SOLELY for the press.

It would be a disservice to the player to be called up and not deserve it.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (01-21-2019)
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
A thread too crazy for words.

Originally Posted by sheg View Post
For crying out loud. "The family doesn't understand how things are supposed to work?!?"

The guy has height and athletic ability that cannot be taught. He has transcendental athletic ability for his height. He is destined to be a professional basketball player. He is best served by developing his game and his body, and college basketball pales in comparison to the G league or Europe or as the 12th man on an NBA roster for development. He needs to eat sleep and dream basketball for a few years.

Will he ever be a great, or even good, NBA player? Maybe not. But you don't need to achieve that to have a lucrative career in basketball and it's time to start finding out. Worst case he plays in Europe for ten years.
I had to dig in this thread to find an objective outlook on Kostas' future in the NBA. sheg wins the award. So many posts in this thread lacked common sense. As of TODAY he is on an NBA roster sitting right next to Dirk Nowitzki. The Past and the Future sitting together. Probably hoping the game is a rout so he can get a shot at Giannis' expense. Kostas has a long way to go, but he has also come a long way. Give him a break.

And there is not enough crow in the world for the narrow minded posts in this thread.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer68 (01-22-2019), FlyerBob (01-21-2019), Glen Clark (01-21-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-21-2019), sheg (01-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I had to dig in this thread to find an objective outlook on Kostas' future in the NBA. sheg wins the award. So many posts in this thread lacked common sense. As of TODAY he is on an NBA roster sitting right next to Dirk Nowitzki. The Past and the Future sitting together. Probably hoping the game is a rout so he can get a shot at Giannis' expense. Kostas has a long way to go, but he has also come a long way. Give him a break.

And there is not enough crow in the world for the narrow minded posts in this thread.
OK, I see myself in your comments, and I'm starting to slowly come around...
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Bucks win 116-106 as Giannis goes for 31 pts. and 15 rebounds! Kostas was a DNP-coaches decision! Giannis posterized Luka Doncic' on a dunk. I wonder if he would have dunked on his brother had he played! Have to wait and see what the future holds for Kostas.

All of us should want him to succeed even though his collegiate career here was short and uneventful because any mention of the University of Dayton may help in recruiting etc.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-22-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-22-2019), San Diego Flyer (01-22-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the kind words, SDF. And bookmark this thread, because we'll be saying the same things about another player sooner than many on here would hope. And they'll say the same things about him.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Kostas’s call-up to the NBA is perfect timing. He gets in a little practice before the Milwaukee game. It is timed for additional ticket sales. It is timed to give the news media a chance to get that perfect photo and give both the Milwaukee Bucks and Dallas Mavericks some publicity.

And there is nothing wrong with this staging. The NBA is all about the entertainment value. It is about self promotion. This is fully understandable. The family being cohesive card is also being played. The hope is that someday it is a Venus vs Serena rivalry?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm just curious... how many extra tickets do you think were sold? Extra subscriptions to the NBA package?

i'm sure the NBA would love a Williams level deal but bringing Kostas up now does nothing to foster that. Kostas is a two way player. Venus was at one time number 1. Mark Cuban is probably hoping for a Greg Maddux-Mike Maddux deal.

I'm on record earlier in this thread being in Kostas' corner and will remain so unless he does something to embarrass UD. But the Greek Freak is a story. Kostas does nothing at this point to advance that story. I don't see anyone not invested already caring any more because Kostas is there.

Well... unless they post on here.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-23-2019), Gazoo (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
I'm just curious... how many extra tickets do you think were sold? Extra subscriptions to the NBA package?

i'm sure the NBA would love a Williams level deal but bringing Kostas up now does nothing to foster that. Kostas is a two way player. Venus was at one time number 1. Mark Cuban is probably hoping for a Greg Maddux-Mike Maddux deal.

I'm on record earlier in this thread being in Kostas' corner and will remain so unless he does something to embarrass UD. But the Greek Freak is a story. Kostas does nothing at this point to advance that story. I don't see anyone not invested already caring any more because Kostas is there.

Well... unless they post on here.
Having attended the Mav game last night, I can assure everyone that not one ticket extra was sold due to Kostas presence. Mainly because they are sold out, but also because his name was never highlighted or promoted. Sold out at $139 ave ticket. With parking and food, call it a couples night out for a cool $350. Kostas who?

Kostas' main competition right now is himself and Ray Spalding from Louisville. Which reminds me the following universities are listed on the Mavs roster in the game program:

Arkansas
Dayton
Florida
Louisville
Marquette
North Carolina
NC State
Northeastern
Stanford
Texas A&M
Valparaiso
Villanova
Wisconsin

That validates the notion that Kostas will be forever branded in the NBA with UD, and it had to have his concurrence.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (01-23-2019), Gazoo (01-23-2019), jack72 (01-23-2019), Justin (01-23-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-23-2019), rollo (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:41 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Having attended the Mav game last night, I can assure everyone that not one ticket extra was sold due to Kostas presence. Mainly because they are sold out, but also because his name was never highlighted or promoted. Sold out at $139 ave ticket. With parking and food, call it a couples night out for a cool $350. Kostas who?

Kostas' main competition right now is himself and Ray Spalding from Louisville. Which reminds me the following universities are listed on the Mavs roster in the game program:

Arkansas
Dayton
Florida
Louisville
Marquette
North Carolina
NC State
Northeastern
Stanford
Texas A&M
Valparaiso
Villanova
Wisconsin

That validates the notion that Kostas will be forever branded in the NBA with UD, and it had to have his concurrence.
The Bucks have a new arena this year and are playing well. They don't need anything to boost sales. On the other hand the Cleveland Cavaliers have a "Greek night" when the Bucks are in town.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute

Arkansas
Dayton
Florida
Louisville
Marquette
North Carolina
NC State
Northeastern
Stanford
Texas A&M
Valparaiso
Villanova
Wisconsin

Ah, ah, ah. Not so fast. Would you have attended the game if Kostas wasn't suiting up?

I agree that no one outside of this group is interested in the Kostas story, but just investigating a tiny crack in your theory.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Thumbs up Ah hah. Actually we were booked months ago

Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Ah, ah, ah. Not so fast. Would you have attended the game if Kostas wasn't suiting up?

I agree that no one outside of this group is interested in the Kostas story, but just investigating a tiny crack in your theory.
Good thoughts. But the tickets were a Xmas present from my wife before Kostas was on the parent Mavs radar. Also I'm 20 miles from the Texas Legends G-League so I can watch Kostas for a $10 ticket. I'm fairly confident I'll see him there again. And they are periodically on tv, so there's that.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:14 PM

Here's another thought that is unlikely to happen. If Dallas traded Kostas + the entire Mavs franchise for Giannis the ticket scalping prices would top the already outrageous unlimited ceiling they reach now. The markets clearly understand the financial dynamics between the two brothers.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:06 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Alex Kennedy

Verified account

@AlexKennedyNBA
19h19 hours ago
More
Kostas Antetokounmpo, who has yet to play a single minute in the NBA, received three All-Star starter votes from fellow players.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Alex Kennedy

Verified account

@AlexKennedyNBA
19h19 hours ago
More
Kostas Antetokounmpo, who has yet to play a single minute in the NBA, received three All-Star starter votes from fellow players.
Yesterday I changed my name to Jack Antetokounmpo. Today I got two votes.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Yesterday I changed my name to Jack Antetokounmpo. Today I got two votes.
I did the same thing with my last name and entered the draft next year.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:49 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Alex Kennedy

Verified account

@AlexKennedyNBA
19h19 hours ago
More
Can’t help but wonder if these votes weren’t from players who took Kostas for his big brother.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-27-2019), UDTradition (01-28-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 05:52 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Gotta figure one was Giannis
Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Can’t help but wonder if these votes weren’t from players who took Kostas for his big brother.
Posted via Mobile Device
So how many votes did Seth get because of Steph?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:37 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I did the same thing with my last name and entered the draft next year.
You'll never get drafted. You should have waited another year.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-27-2019), mikeymo85 (01-27-2019), MNFats (01-28-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-27-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:36 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
1 vote by Giannis
+ 1 vote by Kostas
+ 1 vote by any of the hundreds of the NBA Players who don't read so good
________
3 votes
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 04:12 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
It appears that the Mavs have added the Unicorn to their roster:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/k...jr-per-report/

Likely won't leave much playing time behind him and Doncic; that should be a fun tandem to watch the next few seasons. I'm not sure if Porzingis will play at all this year, but it may open up some minutes this season for "somebody"; go grab them brother of Giannis

Last edited by Medford; 01-31-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Old 01-31-2019, 05:54 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
The Mavs trade with the Knicks leaves Dallas short 3 players for tonight's game vs. the Pistons. Kostas should get his first NBA burn tonight:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/01/...gis-trade.html
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
The Mavs trade with the Knicks leaves Dallas short 3 players for tonight's game vs. the Pistons. Kostas should get his first NBA burn tonight:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/01/...gis-trade.html
Unless you're not with the team.
ud69 (01-31-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
As you attend a Texas Legends game (G league team for the Dallas Mavericks), you see the below poster of Kostas. The poster stands to the right of the escalator that you take up to your seats in the Star Center arena in Frisco Texas (near Dallas Texas).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtrJ0IrF...=1m594b67hn27x
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2019, 04:45 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
When Dallas played at Milwaukee, Kostas traveled with them for a photo op.

When Milwaukee played at Dallas last night, Kostas was nowhere to be found.

Makes me wonder if he'll get more than a minute or two with Dallas this season, probably at the end of the season.
BeckysTXA (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
As you attend a Texas Legends game (G league team for the Dallas Mavericks), you see the below poster of Kostas. The poster stands to the right of the escalator that you take up to your seats in the Star Center arena in Frisco Texas (near Dallas Texas).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtrJ0IrF...=1m594b67hn27x
Posted via Mobile Device
UGH! "Dayton University". We are ... DU!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
UGH! "Dayton University". We are ... DU!
Figgie123: Good catch. I didn’t notice that inscription at the bottom of the Kostas poster.

The whole point that there is a poster of Kostas amazed me. The Dallas Mavericks picked several other players in the draft before selecting Kostas and a higher draft pick by the name of Ray Spalding (Louisville) also plays in the G league Texas Legends and there is no poster of him, only Kostas.

Coincidentally, near the time that Kostas (picked 60) was elevated to the Dallas Mavericks roster, the Mavs waived Ray Spalding (picked 56).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
Has to be because his brother is the frontrunner to win MVP this year
Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM

For 2018-19, 55 players are on 2-way contracts with their NBA teams.

Of those 55, only 8 haven't played a 2018-19 NBA minute, including Kostas. Of those 8, 2 earned 2017-18 minutes.

If Kostas can't get into a game with Dallas this season, I wonder if he has a future with them. Porzingas (sp?) should be healthy next season so one more roster spot is gone...is Kostas trade bait? or will he be in Europe? Time will tell.

Most glaring stat: Kostas is 51st in scoring of the 2-way contract players.

Last edited by rollo; 02-13-2019 at 09:08 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-13-2019), Radar (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

Of those 55, only 8 haven't played a 2018-19 NBA minute, including Kostas. Of those 8, 2 earned 2017-18 minutes.

If Kostas can't get into a game with Dallas this season, I wonder if he has a future with them. Porzingas (sp?) should be healthy next season so one more roster spot is gone...is Kostas trade bait? or will he be in Europe? Time will tell.

I'm not going to say he definitely made a bad decision by refusing to attend to his job of passing classes for 1 more year, but imagine how many dunks he'd have on SportsCenter between him and Obi. We might lead the nation in dunks. 2 guys 6'10" flying around the rim would be the excitement story of the A10. Scouts would be salivating at KA's potential by averaging only 10 points plus 3 blocks per game.

Or, you could go play for the Texas Legends in front of literally dozens of people and average 10 PPG while not starting.

He definitely made the wrong decision.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (02-13-2019), MikeFlyer (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 AM
General of the Air Force

I am kind of over the Kostas decision. Whatever happens, happens. If he could have gotten over the whole school thing, I think someone like him - that is very athletic but short on games playing organized bball, could have used an extra year to better understand how playing in an organized system works. I'm not sure that is the kind of coaching one can get at the G league level.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I am kind of over the Kostas decision. Whatever happens, happens. If he could have gotten over the whole school thing, I think someone like him - that is very athletic but short on games playing organized bball, could have used an extra year to better understand how playing in an organized system works. I'm not sure that is the kind of coaching one can get at the G league level.
When he got “called up” he wasn’t even starting on the G league team. He was getting pretty solid minutes, but not starting. At the time I said it was nice of Dallas to bring him up so he could go see his family and nice he got to spend some time in practice at that level. Nothing wrong with that but he’s got a long way to go. He is a work in progress, no more. It will be nice for Dayton if he can move into a leading player in the G League sometime in the next 1-2 years. That’s the next step. We’ll see where it goes if he can reach this next level - starting and being a leading player at the G League level.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (02-14-2019), CvilleFlyer (02-13-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-13-2019), rollo (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I'm not going to say he definitely made a bad decision by refusing to attend to his job of passing classes for 1 more year, but imagine how many dunks he'd have on SportsCenter between him and Obi. We might lead the nation in dunks. 2 guys 6'10" flying around the rim would be the excitement story of the A10. Scouts would be salivating at KA's potential by averaging only 10 points plus 3 blocks per game.

Or, you could go play for the Texas Legends in front of literally dozens of people and average 10 PPG while not starting.
He definitely made the wrong decision.
I think we will get a good indication of his value by summer. He will either earn a spot on the Mavs roster (not likely, since they are now officially swinging for the $$$fences). Or he will be "cut bait". Not much trade value actually. He just can't gain weight fast enough. Still no where good enough to press the top 12-14 players on most rosters. Obi has passed him.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Kostas was 80% running from college, 20% running to the pros.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:42 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Thing is, Kostas may have been fine not getting drafted, and been happy to return to Greece or elsewhere to play for pay. Not sure how much his oldest brother makes overseas, but if he didn't want to school, both are better off having parted.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Colonel

Kostas is on the Dallas Mavericks roster but not playing due to illness. The illness isn’t specified on web articles that I am reading.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Kostas is on the Dallas Mavericks roster but not playing due to illness. The illness isn’t specified on web articles that I am reading.
Posted via Mobile Device
He played 30 min last night for the G-League team.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Anthony spoke this summer about Kostas. He was much more understanding and conciliatory.

First, he said Kostas was the first member in the family to go to college. His brother never attended college. With family legacy, he believed that college was a difficult challenge for Kostas.

Next, he said that Kostas had a summer injury followed by a family tragedy. He explained that Kostas was behind, had to learn a new system and then try to figure out who he is. Kostas was still learning what kind of player he is and can be. He has a unique build and set of athletic talents that make him and his brother not traditional position players. His brother plays and runs the floor like a 6'11" guard.

The Bucks were heavily criticized for drafting Giannis. His first year or two were so so...

Lots of brother of NBA players don't make. The Mavs gambled on his family talents. I think they need 1-2 more years yet to see if that gamble will pay off.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 02-14-2019 at 02:04 PM..
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-14-2019), fuz_forward (02-14-2019), Gazoo (02-15-2019), Glen Clark (02-14-2019), Justin (02-14-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-14-2019), MNFats (02-14-2019), San Diego Flyer (02-14-2019), THirt (02-14-2019), TXFlyerFan (02-14-2019), zmz723 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute

Stats are a funny thing. If you have already reached a conclusion and go looking for data to support it, you will find it.

One of my favorite examples of that is in this article (starts at the 4th paragraph).

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/football...er-2018-season

For Kostas, while he is 51st in scoring, he is also 3rd in blocks. That paints a different picture.

And let's be honest - had he stayed at UD another year, he would probably be our 4th or 5th scorer. Probably in that 10 ppg range. That's because he isn't a scorer. The Mavericks don't see him as a scorer. His potential is in his defensive abilities - and he has the defensive stats to back that up.

Mentally he still has a long way to go to be ready. He still has too many missed assignments. Give him time to work that out and he can join a long list of NBA big men who are defensive assets to their team while providing little in the way of scoring.

So I'm not sure hitting him on his ppg is a fair assessment.

Don't confuse this post as me saying he is NBA ready or anything - and please don't throw me in the royal dungeon.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:13 AM

don't confuse blocked shots with defense.

Interim Wannabe Sir MN, while I agree with the idea that some NBA prospects are prospects because of their defensive intensity and ability (Chris Wright had that potential), Kostas sees himself as an offensive player...defense is the least of his worries.

Last edited by rollo; 02-14-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Colonel

MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Interim Wannabe Sir MN, while I agree with the idea that some NBA prospects are prospects because of their defensive intensity and ability (Chris Wright had that potential), Kostas sees himself as an offensive player...defense is the least of his worries.
Oh I don't disagree that he sees himself that way. I'm just saying that if he is to have any NBA success it will have to be at the defensive end. Like I said, he isn't ready for it mentally yet.

I don't think there is any doubt that any potential NBA teams see for him is defensive while his offensive output would have to be low volume/high efficiency.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Kostas sighting, courtside at the dunk contest right next to the contestants!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-17-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 AM

*2 others haven't played due to surgeries and are excused

And then there were 2...

Of all the 2-way players on NBA rosters* this season, only Kostas and RJ Hunter haven't seen a minute of NBA action this season. RJ, of course, was a former 1st round pick with 2 years of semi-action so it can be stated that Kostas is the only 2-way player not to have any NBA action.

With Dallas tanking (1-9 in their last 10) I expect him to get a late call-up, but there are no guarantees. So let's wait and see...but I'm not holding my royal breath.

Last edited by rollo; 03-12-2019 at 09:46 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (03-12-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Kostas got about 5 1/2 minutes of playing time last night for the Mavs and made 1/2 free throws, had a rebound, 2 steals, and a turnover. 0/2 from the floor so he hasn’t gotten a bucket in the NBA yet, but he has scored a point!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by THirt; 03-21-2019 at 08:19 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-21-2019), Radar (03-21-2019), rollo (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Despite throwing up a little bit in my mouth, I am happy for the UD program for putting another player into the NBA...and happy that Kostas fulfilled his NBA dreams.
BeckysTXA (03-21-2019), JimBo (03-21-2019), Radar (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Despite throwing up a little bit in my mouth, I am happy for the UD program for putting another player into the NBA...and happy that Kostas fulfilled his NBA dreams.
you took the vomit...er...words right out of my mouth
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-21-2019), rollo (03-21-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:25 PM

With 10 games left, Kostas needs to show improvement. It is no secret the Mavs roster will be greatly improved next season and he is going to be up against another talented draft class. Probably another "now or never" year for him. Hope he steps up.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:39 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Everyone is critical of ud scott posting about AG b it’s ok to bad mouth a former flyer? Good to understand the rules around here
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TX Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (03-24-2019), zmz723 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:58 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
Everyone is critical of ud scott posting about AG b it’s ok to bad mouth a former flyer? Good to understand the rules around here
Not as simple as you make. First, UDscott makes only critical and often half baked comments. It causes people on the board to defend Grant. It does not mean they are Grant lovers but unwilling to hold Grant to a totally unrealistic standard. They are tired of someone who blames every game issue on the coach as if the players have no impact on the game.

For many, the jury is out still on Grant.

With respect to Kostas, the person, I heard most complimentary was Grant. His comments made sense to me. Grant said that a Kostas was the first and only person in his family to go to college. He also mentioned the injuries and the death of his father created a difficult year and adjustment for Kostas. Grant also said that Kostas was finally beginning to find himself at year end.

Given that, I think it was logical for Kostas to leave. The draft proved that NBA teams believe he has potential.

Personally, I hope Kostas makes it in the NBA and is successful.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-23-2019), flyerfanatic86 (03-25-2019), GoFlyer (03-24-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-24-2019), Ready Action (03-24-2019), udflyerhoops2 (03-24-2019), UDGutter2 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
From every report I’ve heard from people inside the program Kostas loved UD but not the schoolwork. Can’t blame a guy who had a multi millionaire brother and a chance, even if a higher ceiling by staying in school longer, leaves early.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 AM
General of the Air Force

From every report I’ve heard from people inside the program Kostas loved UD but not the schoolwork. Can’t blame a guy who had a multi millionaire brother and a chance, even if a higher ceiling by staying in school longer, leaves early.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is why there needs to be good alternatives for “kids” that don’t have either the aptitude or the desire to go to college.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
This is why there needs to be good alternatives for “kids” that don’t have either the aptitude or the desire to go to college.
Posted via Mobile Device
The whole post-high-school situation needs to be re-thought. It’s not as simple as it was back in 1969, when you had guys playing 4 years in college (1 year on the Freshman team and 3 years on the Varsity) and then going on to the pros, if they were good enough. Now, you have prep school, G-League, and overseas as options other than college and pros. The “one-and-done” rule should probably be abolished, and then guys leaving high school or prep school who think they’re ready for professional ball can get right to it. And maybe, in the process, there could be some sort of “amnesty” clause, whereby if a kid spends 1 season in G-League and finds he’s not ready for the pros, he can go back to college to play for 2-4 years and pursue a degree? Just a few random thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Colonel

I'm with you on this one. udscott takes every small misstep by AG as evidence he's been right about AG all along. But as a UD fan he hopes AG succeeds.

Same for Kostas - everyone on here hopes he succeeds, but they are quick to call him out when things don't go his way as evidence that they were right that he should have stayed.

I have no problems admitting that I was in the camp that was supportive of him leaving, but did not think he was NBA ready. I didn't think he needed to be. This was always destined to be a G League developmental year. And as some on here wanted to point out his failures relative to his two-way contract peers, I was just thrilled he was enjoying some success at the G League level.

The fact that he got any NBA time this year exceeded my expectations. Happy for him.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-24-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Good news on Kostas in the G League

With 10 games left, Kostas needs to continue to show improvement. It is no secret the Mavs roster will be greatly improved next season and he is going to be up against another talented draft class. Probably another "now or never" year for him. Hope he steps up.
A comprehensive review of the Mavs prospects and players was published in the Dallas Morning news on Easter. Here's the part we might be interested in about Kostas:

"A year away from getting consistent NBA minutes, BUT A KEEPER if possible".

The "if possible" refers to the cap balancing that the Mavs face with the contracts of Porzingis and others looming. I seriously doubt if KA's contract is more than a mere speed bump with $38M in cap space available to the Mavs. Kostas has but up some nice numbers in the G League with the Frisco Legends team, 10/6. He also beat out Ray Spalding, formerly with Louisville, for a spot on the Legends and Mavs, who appeared to be much stronger 6 months ago in the G League, but was released by the Mavs and picked up by Phoenix.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-22-2019), Justin (04-23-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-22-2019), MNFats (04-22-2019), Runnin' Rebel (04-22-2019), The Fly (04-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:19 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
A comprehensive review of the Mavs prospects and players was published in the Dallas Morning news on Easter. Here's the part we might be interested in about Kostas:

"A year away from getting consistent NBA minutes, BUT A KEEPER if possible".

The "if possible" refers to the cap balancing that the Mavs face with the contracts of Porzingis and others looming. I seriously doubt if KA's contract is more than a mere speed bump with $38M in cap space available to the Mavs. Kostas has but up some nice numbers in the G League with the Frisco Legends team, 10/6. He also beat out Ray Spalding, formerly with Louisville, for a spot on the Legends and Mavs, who appeared to be much stronger 6 months ago in the G League, but was released by the Mavs and picked up by Phoenix.

That's nice to hear for Kostas, though it's interesting to me that he's #116 in scoring, shot under 25% from 3, #48 in rebounding, #66 in steals, and an efficiency rating (PIE) of #312, though I don't claim to know exactly what that means but it does not appear to be great. Nothing there really stands out as "consistent NBA minutes" but I guess it could happen. Not everyone is 6'10".

He was #13 in blocks which is pretty darn good. #10 was at 1.5 BPG and #50 was at 0.8 BPG, Kostas was at 1.3. So not a huge game-changing kind of distribution on blocks, it's not like the blocks really stand out as a gaudy must-have kind of skill. But again, who knows.

Last edited by Gazoo; 04-23-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 03:55 PM

Kostas' progress likely will continue with the Texas Legends (Mavs) for next season. He is the only drafted 6'10" forward in the Mav's pipeline. I don't know if it's luck or a product of having Porzingis, Doncic, and other tall pieces now on the Mavs. I was a bit taken back by his main competition, Ray Spalding, having been released. But he is one of only two players on the roster with a Two Way contract.

His lack of eye opening stats seems to not derail the Mavs commitment to develop him.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 AM

An interesting twist to the Mavs taking Kostas late in the second round has surfaced. Back in the 2013 draft the Mavericks had the 13th pick in the first round. GM Donnie Nelson lobbied the club hard to take Giannis, but in the end, Owner Mark Cuban was not swayed and saw no available player that excited him. So the Mavs TRADED DOWN to #18 and took Shane Larkin. Giannis went to Milwaukee at number 15.

Needless to say, Cuban has taken serious gas from the fan base and his own staff for not listening to Nelson about Giannis.

Now flash forward to the 2018 draft and who is still on the Mav's draft board late in the second round with a throw-away pick in their pocket? None other than Kostas. Once again Nelson approaches Cuban. How could he possibly say no?

And that's how stuff happens.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-14-2019), fuz_forward (05-14-2019), Gazoo (05-14-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Off topic - I was privileged to hear Don Donoher speak last week (what a treat). He said Don Nelson Sr. in a fairly recent conversation with Hank Finkel, told Finkel that he must be the dumbest guy to ever play in the NBA. The reason being he turned down the draft not once, but twice, and thus lost two years of credit to his NBA pension. Finkel defended his decision and said that his years at UD were the best years of his life. Donoher said he talks with Finkel regularly.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (05-14-2019), BeckysTXA (05-14-2019), Figgie123 (05-15-2019), jack72 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 PM
General

An interesting twist to the Mavs taking Kostas late in the second round has surfaced. Back in the 2013 draft the Mavericks had the 13th pick in the first round. GM Donnie Nelson lobbied the club hard to take Giannis, but in the end, Owner Mark Cuban was not swayed and saw no available player that excited him. So the Mavs TRADED DOWN to #18 and took Shane Larkin. Giannis went to Milwaukee at number 15.

Needless to say, Cuban has taken serious gas from the fan base and his own staff for not listening to Nelson about Giannis.

Now flash forward to the 2018 draft and who is still on the Mav's draft board late in the second round with a throw-away pick in their pocket? None other than Kostas. Once again Nelson approaches Cuban. How could he possibly say no?

If that's true, it's the best explanation I've seen yet of what happened.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Off topic - I was privileged to hear Don Donoher speak last week (what a treat). He said Don Nelson Sr. in a fairly recent conversation with Hank Finkel, told Finkel that he must be the dumbest guy to ever play in the NBA. The reason being he turned down the draft not once, but twice, and thus lost two years of credit to his NBA pension. Finkel defended his decision and said that his years at UD were the best years of his life. Donoher said he talks with Finkel regularly.
I used to see Hank at some UD at UMass games but it has been a few years since I've seen him....and he's hard to miss.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM

DMN headline "More Miss Than Hit" in today's paper

Part of an extensive 32 year history well-chronicled by the Dallas Morning News today, of poor draft decisions roasting the Mavs, Dirk being the obvious exception.

Not much in the Dallas sports landscape gets overlooked by the news hounds here.
Gazoo (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM

Ummmm, the 76ers drafted Kostas. Dallas traded for him.

King Rollo the Clarifier...OUT!

Speaking of the 76ers...

Last edited by rollo; 05-14-2019 at 03:25 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (05-14-2019), CT Flyer (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Speaking of the 76ers...

I knew that but it was irrelevant to the point. King Rollo the nitpicker.

But a love the pic so it was worth the post.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2019), rollo (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:52 PM
Colonel

Sort of. Technically, yes, 76ers picked him. But at the time the pick was made, it had already been sent to the Mavs and the 76ers picked Kostas because that's who that Mavs told them to take.

So the Mavs chose the player, the 76ers made the pick.

It's one of the oddities of the NBA draft. None of the trades are official in the moment. So teams end up drafting guys under the instructions of other teams.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM

I knew that but it was irrelevant to the point. King Rollo the nitpicker.

But a love the pic so it was worth the post.
Dallas isn't bad, either.

CT Flyer (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Oh my, this is more exciting than a Flyers game!!!!
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Suddenly I am becoming an NBA fan!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Suddenly I am becoming an NBA fan!
NBA....and Oregon!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 PM

Talking Well, halter top this one.

[QUOTE=rollo;585652] Dallas isn't bad, either.

Not to worry, but the Mavs just fired all their dancers ! Too much skin. I did not know there was such a concept.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 AM
General of the Air Force

[QUOTE=San Diego Flyer;585851]

Not to worry, but the Mavs just fired all their dancers ! Too much skin. I did not know there was such a concept.
So do you think Kostas will come back to UD?
Old 05-18-2019, 07:24 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=CE80;585859]

So do you think Kostas will come back to UD?
No, but he might tryout for one of the dancer spots. It might pay better than his current gig.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (05-18-2019), San Diego Flyer (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Colonel

[QUOTE=BeckysTXA;585862]

No, but he might tryout for one of the dancer spots. It might pay better than his current gig.
Dude made close to $80k. It's not millions, but that's a hell of a salary coming out of college.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=MNFats;585868]
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post

Dude made close to $80k. It's not millions, but that's a hell of a salary coming out of college.
For the P5 stars $80k/yr is a salary cut.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-18-2019), Chris R (05-19-2019), Gazoo (05-20-2019), MNFats (05-18-2019), ud69 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Giannis Antetokounmpo and Brother Kostas Star in Touching New Commercial

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/19/gi...mmercial-video
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (05-23-2019), jack72 (05-19-2019), Justin (06-24-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-19-2019), Lowd&ProUD (05-20-2019), Runnin' Rebel (05-21-2019), San Diego Flyer (05-20-2019), SC_Flyer (05-19-2019), The Fly (05-19-2019), ud69 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:31 PM

Good for Kostas. He probably made more on the commercial than playing basketball.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-20-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 10:20 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Always believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (05-19-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Lieutenant General

Cool commercial...may be a bit premature on one end but only time will tell.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Steph Curry 'only' makes $19,913/pt

Originally Posted by MNFats View Post

At roughly $40k/point, he's the highest paid player in the NBA...
BeckysTXA (05-20-2019), CT Flyer (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
The $80k/yr is just his G League salary, he gets paid a prorated amount of the $840k/yr rookie minimum when he's with the NBA team. Not a bad gig.
Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
That’s a fun ad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2019, 10:35 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
That commercial is awesome. Chill bumps.

Best line of the ad: “I see us travelling a lot.”
Old 06-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Colonel

According to Dallas Morning News, Josh “Reaves, other free agents, and perhaps (Isaiah) Roby will be a part of the Mavericks Las Vegas summer league team, which begins play July 5 with a 6pm game against Brooklyn.”

“...Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said ...he believes Kostas Antetokounmpo and Daryl Macon would play.”
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM

Carlisle was quoted earlier in the draft as saying the Mavs were pleased with Kostas' progress this season.
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 10:51 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD View Post
That commercial is awesome. Chill bumps.

Best line of the ad: “I see us travelling a lot.”
For me, the best line of the ad is when young Kostas tells young Giannis “You’ll be alright, I guess.” I’m sure that was inserted for comic effect, given where Giannis is at this point in his career. Hopefully, that joke wasn’t intended to be at Kostas’s expense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Shawnee2 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 02:03 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Had Giannis and his girlfriend on a flight to Fresno a couple of weeks ago. Sat in first class, but his knees were literally at his chin. After we deplaned, we wondered where he had gone. I commented that he likely had a limo pick him up and a handler get his bags from the carousel. As we were waiting for our transportation, we see Giannis & his girlfriend come strolling out of baggage claim and get into an old Pontiac Grand Am. Totally the antithesis of what one would have expected.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (06-24-2019), Justin (06-24-2019), MNFats (06-22-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
At roughly $40k/point, he's the highest paid player in the NBA...
Zhaire Smith.
40pts
$2,611,800 salary
$65,295 per point

But there are probably worse examples than that.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Had Giannis and his girlfriend on a flight to Fresno a couple of weeks ago. Sat in first class, but his knees were literally at his chin. After we deplaned, we wondered where he had gone. I commented that he likely had a limo pick him up and a handler get his bags from the carousel. As we were waiting for our transportation, we see Giannis & his girlfriend come strolling out of baggage claim and get into an old Pontiac Grand Am. Totally the antithesis of what one would have expected.
This should amuse you too.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ner/541106002/
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Giannis took his entire family to the NBA Award Ceremony (tonight).
nice video https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1143318184180817920
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (06-25-2019), Justin (06-25-2019), Viperstick (06-24-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Giannis is the Bob Ross/Mr Rogers of the NBA
Old 06-25-2019, 04:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Viperstick and Justin, You will enjoy this if you haven't seen it. Giannis' MVP acceptance speech.
https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1143540351136935937
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (06-25-2019), Justin (06-26-2019), Viperstick (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:45 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Viperstick and Justin, You will enjoy this if you haven't seen it. Giannis' MVP acceptance speech.
https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1143540351136935937
Shoot. Now I wish I would have spoken with him and wished Kostas well.