User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 771 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
James Madison thread

Definitely winnable tonight against this 5-1 team, they did beat George Washington at home in their opener 50-37 and are plus ten in rebounding margin this year. A guard, Smalls leads three in double figures at 19 ppg and she had 30 in the last game against Liberty. She's also the CAA preseason player of the year and JM is picked to win that conference. By the way, we remember Northeastern, they are preseason picked fifth. The JM loss was to Hampton.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-03-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-03-2018)
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
From what I saw the last 7 minutes of the second quarter, we have no chance of winning. Scaife is all we have and every foul call appeared to be going against us.

No boxing out on rebounds, smallest player on the floor driving inside with no business being in there, Chandler in foul trouble again...I really want to remain optimistic, but they give me no reason to be.

If we don't win the A-10, we won't even be considered for the WNIT at this point. Horrible display of basketball again tonight.

I just don't understand why we won't play Skeens and Davidson. They can't be any worse.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
I am a huge fan, but that is painful to watch. Hope that turning it off helps them, because watching it is not helping my blood pressure.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cardsflyer View Post
I am a huge fan, but that is painful to watch. Hope that turning it off helps them, because watching it is not helping my blood pressure.

I was going to use the exact same words "painful to watch".
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Major

I guess misery loves company
Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Hey, let’s be positive. Scored twice as many points in the 4th quarter as last game. We got 9. Saw this coming but got shouted down. Need to make wholesale changes, fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2018, 09:57 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
From what I can see it all starts at PG and our only guards are severely undersized. There is no other option. That size is felt on both O and D. At that size you cant be a halfcourt team. To mitigate it, we must push tempo and try to get the game into the mid-80s so our size becomes a weapon rather than liability.

When they penetrate they cannot finish because of their height and inability to use the off hand. They use their dominant hand no matter which side of the glass they are on.

Didnt help that we got abused on the glass, missed FTs, and matadored the D. JMU was a better club with more talent, but I thought we could have stolen this one on the road. Their guards and bigs were just more athletic and physical.

Still, I think PG is where it all rolls downhill from. I doubt any other DI school plays two shorter PGs. You better be Shawnta Rogers good if you want to play at that height and get away with it. Loss of Burdette will take some time retool.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:37 AM
Major

I could not agree more with what Chris said about our guards. It drives me crazy that they drive and when stopped force something up hoping to get fouled.

There was a play last night where Cannatelli drove from the baseline got stopped and kicked it to Scaife for a wide open 3...shot rimmed in and out, but the decision to quickly pass back out was smart and didn't force a shot to get blocked or miss woefully.

Neither of our guards do this at all. Fowler drove the middle got stopped and Cannetelli was wide open behind her, all she had to do was pivot and kick...nope took a poor shot which was blocked and the ball came back the other way.

I know I am gonna catch it, but I would honestly rather see Cannatelli run the point switching with Scaife and let Skeens or another wing that can shoot, play. Or let Giacone play more at the wing.

That guard play is so hard to watch and I sure hope Shauna is out recruiting a decent PG.

We have a Buffalo team coming in next...no clue as to which Dayton team shows up.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Brigadier General

Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
I think we knew this was going to be a "transitional" season especially with the non conference schedule. The rebounding has been a major issue as expected, the guards haven't performed as consistently as I thought they would and all these first year players haven't jelled. We'll see a burst from Whitehead and Chandler here and there then games where they don't contribute much. The next problem is the defensive strategy on Cierra Dillard the nation's leading scorer at 27 ppg.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Brigadier General

What a change from one year to the next, I was looking at last year's result vs JM a game that Dayton won 82-54.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:33 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Our guards are a disaster, but no help in sight, as our bench, is dismal. Very hard to watch. The really tough part is that other than Whitehead, Scaife and Chandler, none of them look like high level D1 starters, now or ever. Green has got to cut some loose and start recruiting.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Brigadier General

Cut some loose? This isn't the NBA, they don't get put on waivers. All we can hope is that more games, more practice time and they get better. It's not a sinking ship, there's no drowning. It's rough waters yes.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barney Sentner View Post
Cut some loose? This isn't the NBA, they don't get put on waivers. All we can hope is that more games, more practice time and they get better. It's not a sinking ship, there's no drowning. It's rough waters yes.
See last year's men's team. This is not 1980. 60% of men's D1 players do not finish at their school. Not sure what the women's percentage is. Do you realize that 7 on our roster did not start at UD. That's 7 of 15. Some got the message to leave, some were mutual and some just did not like their coach/school. There are ways to handle it, and it is part of today's game.

It pains me to say it, because I am maybe UD women's greatest fan. We are sinking this year. A great leader will straighten this out. Our present roster will not.