» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Mr. Gibson Goes to Lansing
Published by Swampy Meadows
03-22-2011

DETROIT (MI) -- Percy Gibson and his Detroit Southeastern Jungaleer teammates faced off against Devin Searcy’s alma mater Romulus HS tonight at Calihan Hall on the campus of the University Detroit Mercy, with a trip to the Michigan HS Final Four in Lansing at stake. UD Associate Head Coach Billy Schmidt was in attendance to see the future Flyer five man in action, as was his counterpart from MSU, Mark Montgomery to watch Percy’s buddy 6’6” wing man Brandan Kearney. Also in attendance were UDM head coach Ray Ziegler, his cousin Tasaun Ziegler (my hoops buddy from the Seaholm HS playground) an assistant coach at Marygrove College down the road on Six Mile and seated next to me on press row -- Johnny Davis’ uncle! His eyes started rolling back in his head after my fifth or sixth JD story, so I stopped telling them.

When I spoke to Billy, he chose his words very carefully when talking about the transfer situation. He said Kevin Dillard will step in for Juwan onto the roster of guys coming back. For the other open roster spot they would like to address ball handling and wing defense, two areas that definitely need improvement. As for the transfers he said “it’s the business we’re in and they are part of it” sounding for all the world like Hyman Roth in “The Godfather.” He’s got a point and I feel a lot better about the whole situation than I did before I talked to Billy. BG and the staff definitely have a plan -- let’s give them a chance to execute it.

Percy gave a sly nod to PG Edward Brown before the opening tip and guess who ended up with the ball? Edward Brown. It took both teams some time to work out the nerves, as is witnessed by the 14-11 score in favor of Southeastern after one period, one in which neither Percy nor Brandan scored! The Jungaleer guard play is what kept them in the game, with Brown bombing threes and Daryl Flemister driving to the rack. Coach George Ward subbed freely for Southeastern and that kept everybody fresh for the second half. Our man Percy came out in the 3rd quarter playing with a purpose as he went for 12 of his 14 points, had 4 boards, 2 blocks and a steal and Southeastern finished the period with a 51-43 lead. That would change quickly as the Jungaleer guards again asserted themselves and Percy and his mates secured a 73-51 victory.

Percy finished by my count with 14 points, 11 boards, 8 blocks and 3 steals. He got my vote for “Player of the Game” and for his efforts PG got interviewed by the blonde honey from “State Champs” the local weekly TV high school sports program. When I talked to him Percy was really excited for the chance to go to States. He said he was hoping that his future Flyer teammate LaDontae Henton and Lansing Eastern would have made it there, too, but that was not to be.

Coach George Ward praised his total team effort, especially his backcourt. Romulus figured to have the advantage there with D-1 prospect Ray Lee, but Brown, Flemister, Kearney and company won that battle. He said that his charges were “disciplined, structured and cerebral” and that is what made the difference.

Of Percy, Coach Ward stated matter-of-factly “with his back to the basket he’s the best big man I’ve seen” and in the last 4 or 5 weeks Gibson has taken his game to another level. Flyer fans have gotta love hearing that!

Percy Gibson will be taking his game to Lansing on Friday afternoon at 2:50PM with a chance to bring the Class A State Championship back to Detroit.

You can watch him here: http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/pages/streaming_mhsaa1

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By UDBrian on 03-23-2011, 02:18 AM
I really like the fact that when the games are bigger he has performed at a higher level. Who cares what a recruit does against scrubs
By San Diego Flyer on 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks Swampy. We definitely needed a dose of Percy after yesterday.
By jack72 on 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the positive news!
Comment

Article Tools