User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 771 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
Grand Valley State Exhibition

For those of you not attending Sunday nor watching on line, radio airtime is 1:30 with the link below - the 20 minute interview with Coach Green will air and halftime will include an interview with the men's cross country coach.

www.1610.info
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (11-04-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-04-2016), tirebiter (11-05-2016)
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
There is no charge for admission to this game.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I received an email about parking changes for this game. I believe it was only sent to WBB season ticket holders so I am sharing the link to the parking map.
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co...43827_51580799
Old 11-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Brigadier General

Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
I have to take a shot at the Dayton Daily News. NOTHING in the sports today about the game and when you go to the calendar in the back it mentions Quinnipiac next week. That's sad and an insult to the program. I'd love someone associated with Cox Media to respond to this snub.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
jabo911 (11-06-2016), jaburr91 (11-06-2016), Sid Louick (11-06-2016), tirebiter (11-06-2016), Tony T 71 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Brigadier General

I don't know that I learned a lot today. Scaife and Giacone will be contributors and the defensive intensity was good in the first half. Austria looked fine. Macioce was in street clothes on the bench. Only 826 which is disappointing so need more promotion.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
I thought Harris played well too -- has quite a nose for the rebound.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Brigadier General

True and I didn't mention her because I think we know what she can do. I do think it's interesting Dennis started over Canatelli.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Question

I've asked this before but I don't recall an answer. Why did SG leave UD for my other alma mater, NU? She must have been highly thought of considering what has transpired since.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Brigadier General

jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I've asked this before but I don't recall an answer. Why did SG leave UD for my other alma mater, NU? She must have been highly thought of considering what has transpired since.
See #4

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...una-gre/nsXDF/
Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Brigadier General

My take is she wanted an additional perspective to learn under and relished the opportunity to do so under Joe Mc Ewen.
Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Lieutenant General

I thought Javonna played very well. She was disruptive on defense and only had 2 fouls which I thought was good considering how aggressive she played.She scored 10 points in 19 minutes, no turnovers and 6 rebounds.

Regarding Lauren not starting... I remember Shauna saying she was going to monitor the playing time for Jenna and Lauren because of the shin splints they both suffered last year from having to be on the floor almost all the time. She also said she was going to be careful with Kelley's minutes. I assumed she didn't want to start all 3 so that she could alternate and give them all rest. Jenna played 28, Kelley 20, Lauren 15. Jayla added 23 and Jenna G 16.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Lieutenant General

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...q7YDas4o0p4JJ/
Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Brigadier General

After reading the brief article in the DDN, the only comment that mystified me is when Jenna Burdette said the team's highs are real high and lows are real low. I didn't think it was that drastic yesterday since I thought the team was consistent throughout on the offensive and defensive end. I did want to say the play with 10 seconds left with Lauren diving on the floor for a loose ball had to bring smiles to the coaching staff when you consider the score and circumstances,
Old 11-07-2016, 10:18 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A very good sign....

Originally Posted by Barney Sentner View Post
.... I did want to say the play with 10 seconds left with Lauren diving on the floor for a loose ball had to bring smiles to the coaching staff when you consider the score and circumstances,
Something that always amazed me about Geno Auriemma's teams was exactly that. UConn can be up by 40 with under a minute to play and players will dive under/over the scorer's table after a loose ball. Not wise usually....but indicative of the fire instilled in the players. If the Flyers are doing that I think it's a good sign.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Barney Sentner View Post
Macioce was in street clothes on the bench.
Any info on what kept Macioce out?
Old 11-08-2016, 12:07 AM

Another question...

Why is AD playing for Indiana and not Dayton?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:00 AM
Brigadier General

No open scholarship at the time.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:00 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
She was injured during her senior year and ud didn't have a scholarship to give her this year
Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Don't understand...

Originally Posted by jaburr91 View Post
No open scholarship at the time.
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
She was injured during her senior year and ud didn't have a scholarship to give her this year
She was on scholarship. Do we take scholarships away from injured players?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Lieutenant General

She was a senior last year and the 3 available scholarships had been taken by the the signed commits by the time she was injured. Her scholarship was "available" at the time they signed. UD worked hard to get her another year of eligibility, and as late as one or two weeks before graduation thought she would be on this years team (according to someone affiliated with WBB). Perhaps a player was thinking of transferring and then changed their mind. Next thing I hear she has visited Indiana and signed. Something changed. Some on here believed she didn't want to stay at Dayton. I don't think that's the case, but I don't know.

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 11-08-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Nope. See Gainey and Edwards as examples. Carried Gainey for all 4 years and Edwards for 3.

Last edited by ud69; 11-08-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:25 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
She was a Senior and had used her 4 years of ships. Dayton did not take a ship away from her she used all 4 of them. In her specific case when she got injured it was very doubtful she would get a medical redshirt.

So UACFlyer since we didn't have any open ships left whom on the team would you have taken a ship away from to give AD a 5th year ship.

As it turned out a ship came available late when Blais decided to go home to recuperate. By then it was too late as AD chose to play for Indiana instead of waiting to see if a ship would become available. There were a few rumors that two flyers might transfer out but that didn't happen.

There was way too much ambiguity regarding if AD would even get a redshirt and if she did would a ship open up via transfer rumors so AD went for the sure thing. Can't blame her, but she sure would have been a welcomed addition to this years team.

So in the end we lose Coach Jabir, Amber Deane and Blais and now have an open ship. The stars just didn't line up right for Dayton, or did they in finding Shauna Green as a perfect last minuted replacement.

And now we will find out the rest of the story as it unfolds. Best wishes for Coach Jabir, Amber Deane in her new role and last but not least for a speedy recovery for Madeline Blais. For Blais health supersedes everything else.

Go Flyers! Its a new day.... (to be continued)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-12-2016), jaburr91 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:31 AM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Nope. See Gainey and Edwards as examples.
In Gainey's situation we had ships available as Jabir usually only used 13 of the available ships. This time around with the success of the elite 8 run Jabir got interest from several transfers and he used his full allotment of ships.

Since Austria's injury came earlier in the season it was fairly certain she would get a medical redshirt, not so for Amber as her injury came a little later after what some considered over the limit amount of time played.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:37 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
She was a senior last year and the 3 available scholarships had been taken by the the signed commits by the time she was injured. Her scholarship was "available" at the time they signed. UD worked hard to get her another year of eligibility, and as late as one or two weeks before graduation thought she would be on this years team (according to someone affiliated with WBB). Perhaps a player was thinking of transferring and then changed their mind. Next thing I hear she has visited Indiana and signed. Something changed. Some on here believed she didn't want to stay at Dayton. I don't think that's the case, but I don't know.
Yes there were rumors that she didn't want to stay at Dayton which I agree wasn't true. More likely with the transfers and highly rated incoming freshman class she may have viewed her playing time as diminished. When Jenna Burdette came in Amber became the 6th man off the bench. Probably didn't want that role again. Indiana looked like a starting position so she took it. Again can't blame her, go for the sure thing and not wait out to see if a ship comes available.

Hopefully it all works out the best for everyone. Go Flyers!
Old 11-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Ok,....

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
She was a Senior and had used her 4 years of ships. Dayton did not take a ship away from her she used all 4 of them. In her specific case when she got injured it was very doubtful she would get a medical redshirt.

So UACFlyer since we didn't have any open ships left whom on the team would you have taken a ship away from to give AD a 5th year ship.

As it turned out a ship came available late when Blais decided to go home to recuperate. By then it was too late as AD chose to play for Indiana instead of waiting to see if a ship would become available. There were a few rumors that two flyers might transfer out but that didn't happen.

There was way too much ambiguity regarding if AD would even get a redshirt and if she did would a ship open up via transfer rumors so AD went for the sure thing. Can't blame her, but she sure would have been a welcomed addition to this years team.

So in the end we lose Coach Jabir, Amber Deane and Blais and now have an open ship. The stars just didn't line up right for Dayton, or did they in finding Shauna Green as a perfect last minuted replacement.

And now we will find out the rest of the story as it unfolds. Best wishes for Coach Jabir, Amber Deane in her new role and last but not least for a speedy recovery for Madeline Blais. For Blais health supersedes everything else.

Go Flyers! Its a new day.... (to be continued)
....just asking, Avid. I don't have any of these details.

Another question: How does the team shape up compared to last year, for example? I'm thinking ahead to the Nov 22 game against UConn. I'm hoping for at least a satisfying experience. Every other time the Flyers have played at UConn was far less than "satisfying".

Go Flyers!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:58 PM
General of the Air Force

I thought the team looked pretty good via streaming. Harris will add a dimension we lacked in the post. She is a fighter and not a finesse player. Our back court should be strong and stable. Three experienced guards should handle UConn pressure. Couple freshmen looked good for first time on D1 court. Macioce didn't dress but should be good for a few relief minutes, if only she could play defense and rebound.

We will be stronger in the post when Harris is on the court but otherwise we will be suspect. Expecting more out of Andi and Dennis, so far not meeting my expectations.

Better than last years team but less than the elite 8 game. Without Stewart we would seem to have a better chance than in the elite 8 game but haven't seen the new faces on the UConn team yet.

Overall the ladies should represent Dayton well, do better than most teams who visit Storr's but shy of a "W".

Thought Shauna did well on court and player management. She looked like a D1 coach. Think we are in good hands.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
A major mistake IMHO not to keep AD arguably our best player and one of the best we've ever had.. Dennis or Macioce should have been shown the future of little to no playing time and encouraged to consider their options.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
A major mistake IMHO not to keep AD arguably our best player and one of the best we've ever had.. Dennis or Macioce should have been shown the future of little to no playing time and encouraged to consider their options.
Apparently, that is not how Jabir did things.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:17 PM

Comment

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Originally Posted by Sid Louick View Post
I recall that part of JJ's recruitment pitch was telling parents that "If your daughter chooses Dayton I will treat her as if she were my own daughter". If I was the parent hearing that I would be impressed.

Players should not have to be "encouraged" to consider other options. If they've been sitting on the bench for one or two years and see good recruits coming in they should be able to figure things out themselves without "encouragement" from the head coach.

If that is not happening occasionally at UD I don't understand why. Kids want to play basketball; not sit on the bench.

It might not be a bad idea to always leave one scholarship open for contingencies.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Well, Jabir did leave one open and Kelley, who was injured first, had not played many games and was sure to get the RS, took the one that was open.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:56 PM

Bad luck...

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Well, Jabir did leave one open and Kelley, who was injured first, had not played many games and was sure to get the RS, took the one that was open.
Really bad luck! So our unfortunate situation last year was having two key players...the two best,...injured and close to being in the same situation. That's pretty unusual, that is, not one, but two of the team's best players going down.

Hopefully that will not happen again any time soon.

Thanks for providing the "color" everyone. I'm far removed from the details.

Go Flyers!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sid Louick View Post
And, more importantly, that is not how Dayton does things.
Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-12-2016)