Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Top 5 Questions For Flyer FB as Camp Begins

As camp begins, and in no particular order, here are my top 5 questions that the Flyers will have to answer leading up to Central State. Feel free to comment or add your own.

1. Safeties: Having lost 2 experienced starters, who will step up to fill these important positions? Hopefully, there will be a spirited competition for these spots.

2. Flyer: See No. 1 above. It would seem that Chris Hagan is in the driver's seat given his experience the past couple of years. I'm sure the young guys will push him during camp.

3. Starting OG: The foursome of Vogel, Luallen, Toub and Gauthier are all returning and have great experience. Since my understanding is that Luallen likely will be moving to OT, that leaves an OG spot open. Wes Hegemann was moved from DL in the spring, so he may be the answer. Obviously, the underclassmen will also need to provide depth across the O-line.

4. DT Depth: The likely 3 man rotation at DT will be: Ashleman, Carfagna and Scott. After those three, however, there is very little experience. Camp will be a great opportunity for the underclassmen to establish themselves.

5. Back-up QB: While I don't love thinking about this one, it will be important for the 2 RS-Fr QBs to really compete in camp. Just like last year, they will both need to be mentally ready to step-in at any moment.
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
PIONEER 8 (08-10-2016)
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Captain

PittsburghFlyer is on a distinguished road
Camp Competition

Originally Posted by FlyerIllini View Post
As camp begins, and in no particular order, here are my top 5 questions that the Flyers will have to answer leading up to Central State. Feel free to comment or add your own.

1. Safeties: Having lost 2 experienced starters, who will step up to fill these important positions? Hopefully, there will be a spirited competition for these spots.
Safety is a key position in our defense and we need this group to come through for us to be successful. That said, we have two R-Sr in Welsh and Nees. Nees played some last year and I believe Welsh was out last year. I have heard a lot of good things about Welsh.

2. Flyer: See No. 1 above. It would seem that Chris Hagan is in the driver's seat given his experience the past couple of years. I'm sure the young guys will push him during camp.
Hagan definitely the man here.

3. Starting OG: The foursome of Vogel, Luallen, Toub and Gauthier are all returning and have great experience. Since my understanding is that Luallen likely will be moving to OT, that leaves an OG spot open. Wes Hegemann was moved from DL in the spring, so he may be the answer. Obviously, the underclassmen will also need to provide depth across the O-line.
We have four very experienced guys to protect the QB and open holes for the RBs. It will be interesting to see who fills the 5th spot on the line.

4. DT Depth: The likely 3 man rotation at DT will be: Ashleman, Carfagna and Scott. After those three, however, there is very little experience. Camp will be a great opportunity for the underclassmen to establish themselves.
Agree with above. There is going to be a lot of competition in camp for the fourth spot.

5. Back-up QB: While I don't love thinking about this one, it will be important for the 2 RS-Fr QBs to really compete in camp. Just like last year, they will both need to be mentally ready to step-in at any moment.
This was definitely also on my list FI, as tough as it is for you! Though I heard from my sources that Jeske has gotten bigger, stronger, and faster in the off-season. Kudos to him.

In terms of some of the other positions, I think we are looking really good. We have a gaggle of very good RBs and TEs (led by Yinger and Captain Palin, respectively). At the CB position, we also look very good in terms of starters (obviously) and the backups. The LB core is stacked with experienced, very good players. The only other question I would have is at WR. Our starters, Euritt and Tumpane, are excellant players. I know Forcucci has some game experience and looks like he is going to contribute. Past that, I know some of the younger guys are talented, but have not seen them play.

Overall, I think with our starting players we are in really good shape and have a lot of experience returning. The question marks are at the backup slots and a couple positions that were mentioned above. Like every season, we need to stay healthy to compete at our highest possible level. Here's hoping for a healthy, productive season by all.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Pitt: I can definitely attest to the "bigger and stronger" improvement by the (now) RS-So. QB. I've heard tell of the "faster" part as well and look forward to seeing it on the field.

As for WR, the presumptive starters heading into camp are: Euritt, Tumpane and Forcucci. With his height and leaping ability, I think Euritt is poised to have a big year. I've heard Jared Ruffing has been moved to slot WR as well. Seems like he was in a logjam at RB, but he is too good an athlete not to get him on the field somehow. Another name to watch for is Adam Trautman; big and I'm told very fast. He looks to be the receiving TE and likely will line-up all over and/or be in motion frequently. Some very fast incoming FR may also work themselves into the mix to help stretch the field.

Looking forward to camp reports over the next couple of weeks. Go Flyers.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't see QB Blake Bir on the roster, assume he left the team.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Captain

UD62: Unfortunately, he did.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Captain

Some insight/confirmation on Question No. 2 (above): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTUd...E097B88F629C44
Old 08-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Captain

Following up on my comment above regarding some speedy FR WRs, I'm told that a couple of them posted 40 times in the mid to low 4.4 range. Good stuff.