Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
The Black with Red and Blue Trim Game
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
10-24-2010

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- I know, I know -- it’s supposed to be the Red and Blue Game. However, the color scheme that has stuck in my brain since the end of last year’s scintillating NIT Championship run was the killer black unis with the red and blue piping. Here’s hoping we haven’t seen the last of those bad boys, eh?

Listened to the Football Flyers beat Campbell on the way down I-75. The key play in the 4th quarter was turned in by DB James Vercammen, a graduate of Birmingham Grove HS where the Swampettes both went. My old WVUD buddy Chris Cage and his wife Amy were in town for the game and I caught up with them at the Sub House on Brown Street afterwards. We mostly talked about our kids which is what you do when you reach a “certain age” like we have.

I mentioned that play by Vercammen to UD SID Doug Hauschild when I got to the Arena and he told me about a play that James made vs. Butler, wherein he blocked a pass with his face! Doug said the video of it is surreal.

The Flyers volleyball team made short work of UNC Charlotte in three sets. Man, those ladies are powerful! Undefeated in A-10 play, nationally ranked and they face that school from down south next…and they host the NCAA Regional Tournament this year!

Jim Jabir has the ladies scrimmaging against a squad of “men’s practice players.” Do these guys play the Flyers all the time? One of them got low bridged on a box-out by Olivia Applewhite and they both went ass over tea kettle on the floor and the guy helped Olivia up. Don’t think that would happen in an A-10 game, do you? The practice guys were actually pretty good -- they beat the ladies 36-23.

I ran into the latest member of Pride Plus in the stands, the one and only John R. Like all Flyer fans he is looking forward to a great hoops season and promises that he is gonna behave himself and avoid confronting those posters who try and bait him on the MB. Also had a chance to talk with frequent MB poster Figgie and another gentleman whose handle I didn’t recognize. Also chatted with Doug Harris of the DDN and Matt Schwade of FlyerHoops.net. His son Chase just turned 1 year old. Chris Wright’s mom was sitting right behind us. Swapped recruiting prospect names with Ron Driesen, frequent MB poster on Matt’s site. Nice to see all of you folks!

CW: Guess what? He didn’t forget how to dunk over the summer. Stroked a couple threes and had a killer breakaway power slam. In one sequence CW hit a layup, stole the inbound pass and fed to Josh Benson for a score. He’s ready.

CJ: Looks more ripped than ever. Started off slow but got into the rhythm of the game. He made an excellent pass to Ralph Hill off of a faked shot.

PW: I read somewhere he sprained his ankle and wasn’t gonna play. Guess again. He kept passing up shots to make the extra pass.

DS: Hit a couple of nice turnaround jumpers. Devin is shooting them straight up rather than falling away like he has in the past. Had several nice offensive rebounds

JS: He has got some guns! Hit a nice three and another long jumper early. Driesen cracked that those 2 were more jumpers than he took all of last year at Oak Hill. He did make a freshman mistake on an attempted pass to CW.

JP: Solid PG play. Defended well against Dillard. He has nice FT form. He stripped Josh Benson of the ball to start a fast break.

LF: He took three 3s and missed them all. Spent a lot of time working in the blocks. Speaking of blocks, he got a turnaround jumper snuffed by Benson. He was also crashing the boards on occasion.

KD: Sportin’ #99 and the Jacob Pullen beard – I like it! He has a very nice handle. He’s a take charge kinda guy. KD will push the 2 PGs every day in practice.

JB: Very active on both ends. Very soft touch on FTs. Looks to be stronger and slightly thicker.

MK: Started slow but got into the offensive flow in the 2nd half. He made all 4 of his shots, including an up and under move and later a nice turn and fire vs. Luke

BS: This kid is strong. You will hear Bucky say this a lot when BS is in the game: “Spearman takes it to the rack with authority.” Excellent defender. Nice form on his three point shot.

RH: Had a couple of nice layups on passes from KD. He can really stroke the three.

DMO: The word ‘redshirt’ is not in his vocabulary. He can do everything well, including bringing the ball up court. Best moment of the night was when DMO complained about a call and the ref took him aside and explained it to him.

Notes:

-- The attendance was announced as 5,200 but we have no idea how they came up with that number.

-- One of the refs was former Flyer Edwin “The Blanket” Young, who got a nice hand from the crowd when he was announced.

-- Alter’s Jaaron Simmons was in the house as was Roosevelt Chapman. I spoke to Velvet after the game and he said he was in town from New York and heard the Red and Blue game was tonight and had to come by and watch.

BG: Chris Wright “had a good week of practice” and guess what -– he had the best game. UD “can’t forget who we are.” Kevin Dillard has been great; on some days he’s one of the best players in practice. He will push the other PGs. Brandon Spearman is “an energy guy.” Josh Parker has looked good, but he bruised his knee and so they limited his minutes. Right now, the team is “not very good on defense” and it will be a key. The team has “the size, length and athletic ability – they have to find the grit.” Juwan learning to play Division I PG “is a process.” BG will be patient with him “and he needs to be patient with himself.”

JS: “It went great.” He said his dad told him that “college basketball is a different sport.” Things he got away with in HS aren’t going to work here. I told him what BG said about being patient and he totally agreed.

JP: It’s tough to sit, listen and watch like he had to do last year and KD has to endure this season. He played some PG but mostly SG at Drake. He wanted to play more at PG, but will play anywhere that BG wants him to at UD. The biggest eye opener: “It’s fast” but Josh said that’s the way he likes to play.

CW: He said the last time he had a T called on him was on a dunk in HS because "the ref didn’t know what else to do." He’s been working on his handle, as evidenced by one sequence where he brought the ball up the length of the court himself. Chris said BG doesn’t have a problem with the bigs taking off with the ball.

This team is 12 deep, guys and gals. Get ready for a fun ride!

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Chris R on 10-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Great report Swamp! I missed the memo that you were going to be in town, or else I would have bought you a Schlitz.
By John R on 10-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks Swamp and as usual a great report on everything from today.

Attendance LOL how and who came up with those numbers?
By C-time on 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure the mens practice team that the women played last night practice against them all the time. One of the youtube videos that was posted from a womens practice had the same guys playing against them.
By AQUDXU on 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Not to be picky, but I believe Edwin Young was "The Blanket."
By Swampy Meadows on 10-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by AQUDXU View Post
Not to be picky, but I believe Edwin Young was "The Blanket."
Duly noted and edited.
By frankstflyer on 10-24-2010, 08:14 PM
For what it's worth, Bull Uhl Sr and Jr. were also at the scrimmage. Bill Uhl Sr was looking good and strong.
By SideshowBob on 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Good work Swampy.
By Swampy Meadows on 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Here's the video of James Vercammen giving the pass attempt by the Butler QB a facial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCnuG...layer_embedded
Comment

Article Tools