User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Davidson Post Game Thoughts

We made just enough plays, including a valiant effort by Josh and a 9 for 10 performance from the line. If Josh is ailing something, he left it in Dayton cuz he had some decent pep in his step(s) tonight.
It's a game of runs, as us Flyer fans understand all too well. On the road, we answered Davidson's big run with some clutch plays down the stretch, biggest one's by Toppin on the stick back to take the lead and then Crutcher with a nifty pass to Josh with 3 seconds to play.
We continue to be very efficient on the offensive end of the court, usually getting good looks and we seemed to avoid too many last second shot clock chucks.
"Nice to see you again, Mr. Three Pointer." says Jordan Davis. Welcome back, let's get some consistency and confidence with that stroke now.
Toppin is a matchup nightmare. He can take almost any frontcourt player in the A10 one on one. And he adjusts/reads most double teams so well for a kid in his first year of D1 play. Surround him with some decent shooters and he'll be able to distribute with a lot of success out of the post as well.
Chip with another solid effort tonight, nothing spectacular, but a very lunch pail-like game for him.
Landers will be fine. He got stuck with a couple cheap fouls that limited his minutes, but he'll be fine and needed during the home stretch.
Our offensive rebounding (giving them up) almost cost us again. Not sure this can really improve until off season.
We won a tough game on the road with our PG playing fairly poorly. Yes, he made some plays. But he couldn't throw in the ocean tonight on several wide open looks and he couldn't defend my mother tonight.
Gudmundson must be quicker than he looks or Crutcher really tired and lazy tonight, cuz he was getting in the paint EVERY possession in the second half.
He did get called for a crappy foul on Gudmundson's AND 1 with 97 seconds to play. He got bumped/pushed into Gudmundson by an illegal moving screen by #43 from Davidson. He had his back turned and kept sliding to create space for Gudmindson around the rim/paint and then gave Crutch a little hip check that created the foul.
Bench production was paltry, but what should we expect with this lineup? Combined for 1-6 from the field, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 7 fouls and 2 points in 27 minutes.
Again, I'm not seeing it with Cohill, but am willing to give it time. He plays hard and brings some energy, but he still seems uncomfortable out there. He almost always takes his eyes off the ball on defense when his man doesn't have the ball. Off the ball, his rotations and adjustments/reads are either off or late. Some have suggested he's a solid on the ball defender. If so, why not give him some possessions guarding Gudmundson down the stretch?
We were better from the foul line. I wish our PG was a more consistent free throw shooter.
We've yet to figure out how to play with a cushion. Better rebounding and more defensive intensity with a big lead are critical factors to stemming other team's runs when our offense is stalling.
My only criticism of the coaching tonight is in the 2nd half, I would have tried some things differently on defense when Gudmundson started to get into the paint for like 10th straight possession. Maybe a few sets of zone or switch Crutcher off of him a few times.
We gave up A LOT of uncontested layups in the 2nd half, more that I recall in a long, long time.
PLEASE drop a beat down on the Billikens this weekend. I won't be able to handle getting swept by them.
I remain bullish on this Flyer team. I will double down on them in Brooklyn if I see some consistency over the next 5 games. Short bench with a double bye gives us a legit chance, as we've proven there's not anybody in this league we can't beat, and beat handily with a solid 40 minute performance.

Last edited by SLUFLYER; 02-20-2019 at 12:06 AM..
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-19-2019)
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2019, 12:22 AM
Captain

Clear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud of
It was inevitable that 1st place Davidson was going to show up and play well at some point, especially at their place... Thank goodness it was the last 7 minutes of the game. If we were tired, then they had to be just as spent, maybe even more.
Mad Props to Clear Prop For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
nice win on the road right here.... now lets end the season strong and blow that (no more than 18 win) prediction out of the flooking water....

I hold by what I said very early: they will, I hope, end the season strong...won't win the regular season, but will win the A10 tournament.

it still can go either way, but my gosh it is so nice to have Josh back..... we can still do this... those who have said NIT, hang on... the book has not been completely written yet..get your popcorn and sit the heck back down the show is not over yet..

patiently waiting for our Debbie Downers....

Last edited by steverino015; 02-20-2019 at 12:44 AM..
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Was only half-watching the game, as I had to work tonight. Who was covering Gudmundsson for most of the 2nd Half? If it wasn’t Davis, then my thought on that is, maybe AG wanted JD to get untracked on offense, and giving him a lesser defensive assignment was a way to loosen him up a bit. Not saying that was definitely AG’s strategy. But it would be interesting to consider (especially when we’ve been struggling as a team from outside the arc).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 AM
Just off the Jet

VCUFan is on a distinguished road
Thank you!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to VCUFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (02-20-2019), Runnin' Rebel (02-20-2019), springborofan (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:33 AM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Was only half-watching the game, as I had to work tonight. Who was covering Gudmundsson for most of the 2nd Half? If it wasn’t Davis, then my thought on that is, maybe AG wanted JD to get untracked on offense, and giving him a lesser defensive assignment was a way to loosen him up a bit. Not saying that was definitely AG’s strategy. But it would be interesting to consider (especially when we’ve been struggling as a team from outside the arc).
Posted via Mobile Device
From my observation and recollection, it was usually Crutcher.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Clear Prop View Post
It was inevitable that 1st place Davidson was going to show up and play well at some point, especially at their place... Thank goodness it was the last 7 minutes of the game. If we were tired, then they had to be just as spent, maybe even more.
I have watched Davidson a couple of times this year and I knew the run was coming.
I don't think they were quite as spent though. They had an extra day (played last Fri at home, we played Sat) and they didn't have to travel.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Pick your poison. Would you rather have Crutcher guarding Grady?
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-20-2019), Flyer 86 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's worth noting that when Gudmundsson was driving the ball to the hoop in the second half, our "bigs" were spending heavy minutes on the bench with foul trouble, as well as playing softer to avoid further fouls. The foul trouble prevented the help we were getting inside in the first half of the game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 AM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
I think it's worth noting that when Gudmundsson was driving the ball to the hoop in the second half, our "bigs" were spending heavy minutes on the bench with foul trouble, as well as playing softer to avoid further fouls. The foul trouble prevented the help we were getting inside in the first half of the game.
Posted via Mobile Device
One more example of why it’ll be nice next year to have up to 7 guys we can rotate into the 4 and 5 slots, with Jordy, Obi, and Moulaye all capable of manning the middle, and Obi, Ryan, Trey, Frankie, and Chase all capable of handling the 4 (depending on the opponent), at least for a few minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
AG probably feared a big mismatch if Crutcher had to defend Grady. He probably would have taken him into the post with the size difference (height and strength).
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
AG probably feared a big mismatch if Crutcher had to defend Grady. He probably would have taken him into the post with the size difference (height and strength).
Fair enough. I wasn't thinking about WHO Crutcher would have to switch on to, but he'd have to match up with someone. That's why CAG is the coach and I'm not. I still think I would/should have mixed up something. CR posted something on Facebook about this, but Davidosn scored on EVERY possession from the 9:38 mark on to end the game, until the miss at the buzzer. 15 straight possessions. That is inconceivable to me. And 70% of them were dunks and/or uncontested layups. Mixed in with a couple treys and a bunch of free throws.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
15 straight possessions was a result of several things.
1. UD could not stop dribble drive penetration. They found a mismatch with Gudmundsson. No one could stop him. They isolated him and sent him to the basket. They did not isolate him in the first half, so they changed their game plan completely at half time. Davidson normally takes up to 48% of their shots from 3 point area. Last night was 35%. They took very few 3s in the second half. They morphed.
2. UD bigs and others with foul trouble. This made Davidson more aggressive
3. UD defense did not rotate and help quick enough. But a number of those plays were isolates.
4. UD legs got tired. Davidson rotated more players. It is true Gudmundsson played 38 minutes, but for all he did on the offensive end, he did nothing defensively. I think he allowed Jalen to blow by him on the game winner pass to Josh. I might be wrong on that play.
5. The crowd got amped, UD went flat on offense for a stretch and it fire dup Davidson.

These are reasons, not excuses. Giving up points 15 straight possessions was terrible and almost lost the game for UD.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
so, after a tremendous effort following a heart breaking loss to VCU,
one day (Sun) of rest,
travel on Monday,
play at the first place teams location at 6 pm on Tuesday
AND win, win, win, the majority of post here is to rag on Crutcher.
I don't get it. It was a team effort that all of the above circumstances
show the CHARACTER, CHARACTER, CHARACTER of this team.
Yea, we had a 19 pt second half lead,
so did U of L when they lost to Duke last week,
so did Villanova when they lost to St. Johns on Sunday......
I'd say we are traveling in pretty good company!
It all points to the fact that when two good college teams
play each other, it is almost impossible to keep one team down for 40 minutes.
I have never been more impressed with the Flyers and their 72 hour (Sat to Tues)
TURN AROUND performance.

AG=CHARACTER=FLYERS

GO UD!
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (02-20-2019), cj (02-20-2019), CJ2etc (02-20-2019), Clear Prop (02-20-2019), Flyer 86 (02-20-2019), NYCFLYER (02-20-2019), Radar (02-20-2019), rollo (02-20-2019), Runnin' Rebel (02-20-2019), UD62 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
oh yea, so did VCU (19 pt lead) on Sat.
That's 4 teams losing 19+ pt leads.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:39 AM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VCUFan View Post
Thank you!

Your message board owes our message board a beer!

Flyer 86 (02-20-2019), NYCFLYER (02-20-2019), Radar (02-20-2019), SeasonTicketFan (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
CR posted something on Facebook about this, but Davidosn scored on EVERY possession from the 9:38 mark on to end the game, until the miss at the buzzer. 15 straight possessions. That is inconceivable to me. And 70% of them were dunks and/or uncontested layups. Mixed in with a couple treys and a bunch of free throws.
From the inbound possession of the second half until the end of the game I could swear Davidson scored or had a missed layup on every possession. It felt like we never stopped them once.

To me the big difference wasn't that our bigs were in foul trouble, they got lazy on defense. Everything we did right in the first half, we did wrong in the second half. When Davidson set a screen in the first half our bigs were hedging BIG. In the second half, Josh and Obi both stayed small. They didn't jump out with energy, get their hands up, and square up to the driver. They had their hands down, shoulders turned allowing a driving lane, moved slow, and bit on ball fakes.

Mikesell played OK but in the first half he literally made the same mistake on every play on defense, dropping too far on the screen and giving up the 3. He kept slapping his hands together and saying "dang it" but then did the same thing the next time down.

Having said that, Mikesell did a good job on-ball defending Gudmundsson. He gave that guy fits, and since no one else could even give him a mild sense of irritation AG should have made the switch when he scored on about 37 straight possessions. (My math might be off a little.)

Trey needs to understand he's Shaq. It's not fair. Get over it. You're going to get hit harder than other players and get no call because you're strong as a bull. Plan accordingly. Develop a floater.

I have real fears that Obi will be gone after this year.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
sheg (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Obi only had 1 foul, while Josh had 3. They weren't in foul trouble when Davidson made their run.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Davidson ran a completely different offense in the second half. In the first half, they looked to set up the 3. UD took it away from them. In the second half, Davidson drove to the basket on every play and barely ever looked for a 3 point shot. Brilliant coaching move by Davidson in the second half. Brilliant coaching move by Anthony in the first half.

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
From the inbound possession of the second half until the end of the game I could swear Davidson scored or had a missed layup on every possession. It felt like we never stopped them once.

To me the big difference wasn't that our bigs were in foul trouble, they got lazy on defense. Everything we did right in the first half, we did wrong in the second half. When Davidson set a screen in the first half our bigs were hedging BIG. In the second half, Josh and Obi both stayed small. They didn't jump out with energy, get their hands up, and square up to the driver. They had their hands down, shoulders turned allowing a driving lane, moved slow, and bit on ball fakes.

Mikesell played OK but in the first half he literally made the same mistake on every play on defense, dropping too far on the screen and giving up the 3. He kept slapping his hands together and saying "dang it" but then did the same thing the next time down.

Having said that, Mikesell did a good job on-ball defending Gudmundsson. He gave that guy fits, and since no one else could even give him a mild sense of irritation AG should have made the switch when he scored on about 37 straight possessions. (My math might be off a little.)

Trey needs to understand he's Shaq. It's not fair. Get over it. You're going to get hit harder than other players and get no call because you're strong as a bull. Plan accordingly. Develop a floater.

Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
so, after a tremendous effort following a heart breaking loss to VCU,
one day (Sun) of rest,
travel on Monday,
play at the first place teams location at 6 pm on Tuesday
AND win, win, win, the majority of post here is to rag on Crutcher.
I don't get it. It was a team effort that all of the above circumstances
show the CHARACTER, CHARACTER, CHARACTER of this team.
Yea, we had a 19 pt second half lead,
so did U of L when they lost to Duke last week,
so did Villanova when they lost to St. Johns on Sunday......
I'd say we are traveling in pretty good company!
It all points to the fact that when two good college teams
play each other, it is almost impossible to keep one team down for 40 minutes.
I have never been more impressed with the Flyers and their 72 hour (Sat to Tues)
TURN AROUND performance.

AG=CHARACTER=FLYERS

GO UD!
I don't see anyone "ragging" on Crutcher. Given the circumstances (scoring on 15 straight possessions to end the game, Gudmundson 21 2nd half points), I think most, myself included, are questioning/speculating why we didn't make an adjustment, as well as commenting on how easy it was for their guards to get into the paint.

Specifically related to Crutch, no he didn't play very well. He made some big plays, no question about it. But he shot the ball poorly, missed a couple of free throws, had just 4 assists to 3 TO's and his defense was very poor. That's not ragging, that's just an accurate assessment/description.

I love the kid. And we found a way to win a tough road game despite our most critical player not at his best (frankly below average) in several facets of the game. That's a silver lining and huge sign for optimism going forward with this team.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:06 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Just enjoy it guys, AG and staff put a pretty good team on the court and they're having a great year that I'm convinced they can build from. A few tweaks, more time, more confidence and the Flyers will be a formidable force. They've still got plenty of time to create a March surprise this year.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (02-20-2019), Flyer 86 (02-20-2019), Glen Clark (02-20-2019), sheg (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post

While I know they went to see Kostas play in the G league to support him, I'm thinking there might have been an ulterior motive: this is the crowd you'll see if you leave before you're ready. I love watching Obi, but he's not ready. A UD crowd would be more fun than a G league crowd while improving your game.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Obi with some swag!

He may not be ready, but with some more performances like last night the scouts will pick up the scent. He showed diversity last night. Defense, hustle, crazy buckets that most wouldn't even try. He was a highlight reel. And he showed well against a top team, at their full arena, in a big game, on tv.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-20-2019), Gazoo (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
The single thing that stood out to me about Obi last night was that he finally focused on making points instead of looking for any chance to dunk. He played a much more fundamental game than normal and it paid off.

I want more of that than I do highlight reel jams!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-21-2019), UDGutter2 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
While I know they went to see Kostas play in the G league to support him, I'm thinking there might have been an ulterior motive: this is the crowd you'll see if you leave before you're ready. I love watching Obi, but he's not ready. A UD crowd would be more fun than a G league crowd while improving your game.
Exactly..Unless you're a very high 2nd round pick (top 40 overall and that's not guaranteed) you're not guaranteed a roster spot. Why not improve whatever weaknesses (strength going against bigger players, guarding players, defensive positioning/rebounding ) you have and/or showcase further some of the talents you do have (his 3 point ability ) and work your way into a 1st round pick.

He's obviously got good length and alot of skills but another year gets him physically stronger with the ability to face the basket more on both 3's and mid-level shooting.....
Old 02-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
It doesn't matter if he's ready. It only matters if he can be a first round draft pick. If he is, he should leave and more power to him.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-20-2019), mikeymo85 (02-20-2019), OSU Flyer (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:59 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think that was dominate offensive post play for Dayton I've seen the days of Finn/Waleskowski

Trey deserves a lot of credit for playing last night

Jordan Davis brought it last night and when he's playing well on offense it just makes things so much easier
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-20-2019), CvilleFlyer (02-20-2019), Flyer 86 (02-21-2019), UDTradition (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
With our past bad luck, when that last second shot by Davidson went up and it looked on target, my heart sank. No, this can't happen. Only later a different angle showed that it was off line.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (02-20-2019), rollo (02-20-2019), San Diego Flyer (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:38 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought Grant coached a perfect game for about 35 minutes. The offense they ran and the help defense they ran in that time frame was awesome in design an execution. As several mentioned, we needed to switch the defense in the second half. Grant is still shell shocked from Saturday over that zone meltdown, but get over it. Anything would have been better than Gudmundsson driving in for baskets or foul shots every time.

We got a break with Grady being a big slump. He usually makes lots of threes, but not lately. Last night 0-2 on threes, to make him 2-17 lately. Read that Jordan critics.

Last edited by jack72; 02-21-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
45 minutes?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (02-20-2019), Glen Clark (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
45 minutes?

He coached the 6th graders who took the floor at halftime.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (02-21-2019), Flyer 86 (02-21-2019), SLUFLYER (02-20-2019), UD62 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:44 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I think that was dominate offensive post play for Dayton I've seen the days of Finn/Waleskowski

Trey deserves a lot of credit for playing last night
Yes, but 4 fouls in 9 minutes eclipsed any evil Kostas did on defense. I can't figure what was up with that.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by steve View Post
Exactly..Unless you're a very high 2nd round pick (top 40 overall and that's not guaranteed) you're not guaranteed a roster spot. Why not improve whatever weaknesses (strength going against bigger players, guarding players, defensive positioning/rebounding ) you have and/or showcase further some of the talents you do have (his 3 point ability ) and work your way into a 1st round pick.

He's obviously got good length and alot of skills but another year gets him physically stronger with the ability to face the basket more on both 3's and mid-level shooting.....
I think there’s a good chance he’ll leave early, but I don’t think it’ll be after this season. He has some great skills, but at 6’9” and 220, he’d be assigned to guard guys like Paul George, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, etc. I think the pros probably want to see another year of growth and development before they draft him. That way, they’ll have a better idea of his “fit” (long 3 vs. agile 4) at the next level.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-21-2019), UDGutter2 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 AM

When looking at Obi's actual size vs what he gets out of it, he plays more like 6'10+". I recall Matt Kavanaugh played like the smallest 6'10" I've ever seen. He played effectively more like 6'7" with short arms. Flat footed opponents could block his flat footed shot.

Obi has the reach, step and range of a taller player. He also has a man's shoulder size.
Some incredible skills will be apparent in NBA pre-draft camps.

Where all that goes, who knows?
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (02-21-2019)