UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Different wavelenght, TA,...

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
I think you are overreacting.... A lot. Come on it is hardly "one of the most significant developments in the history" of UD. As I've stated countless times the U should decide the severity of any punishment and the associated penalty which includes whether to rejoin the team. Larry is a lot closer to the situation than anyone on this board so he probably has info we don't. There will be no "muddy" waters.
TA, I was not referring to the MK situation. Becoming a member of the C7+ conference, or not, will be one of the most significant developments in the history of UD athletics.

Please re-read my post. Re the C7+ issue, I am not over reacting. This is very important.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
This conference scenario is a roller coaster, and not one of those fun smooth rides like Millennium Force. This feels more like the Mean Streak where you get off the ride feeling like someone beat you up.
Mad Props to MikeF For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
I find it interesting that Creighton is a "lock" for the Big East. Sure they have made the tournament more than UD recently, but they also play in an inferior league which gives them a better shot at getting in via the automatic conference tournament bid.

Creighton has not been to the sweet 16 since 1974. I wouldn't consider Omaha Nebraska to be an overly desirable TV market for an East Coast League. Throw in the travel issues for all the other sports now having to go to Nebraska, it just don't seem like they fit well.

If they were a dominant basketball program sure, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as Gonzaga/Butler/Xavier.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
They have a determined sponsor.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hoch21 View Post
Don't believe everything espn is reporting, there's a reason FS1 and Fox are keeping quiet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Since we are just speculating here - Would it be a stretch for ESPN to leak half truths in an attempt to derail the C7 conference expansion process???

After all Fox is creating a new station that will compete with ESPN. The source trail leads back to ESPN.

Not saying..... Just speculating.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD90 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-07-2013), MrFlyerFanatic (03-06-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Captain

hoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to behold
^exactly, making espn look like they were wrong I'm sure FS1 would love that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 View Post
Have you read Outliers? It's on my list, most likely for this summer.

Regardless, the luck component should not be downplayed. Each of those schools had an initial Tournament run that really put it on the map and helped propel it to the next level.
1984?

1974?

1967?

Why didn't we capitalize on ours?
Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
And, according to some, two of the three got where they are partly due to taking risks on recruits with academic and/or character issues. And some on here who want to replicate their success don't want to give MK a second chance. I received my Flyer Connection in the mail today and there is a very interesting article by Larry Hansgen stating why he feels MK deserves a second chance to finish his degree and playing career at UD.
I would not be surprised if UD is using this article to see how people react. If there is uproar and a lot of negative reaction then he won't be back. If they receive what they believe is acceptable negative reaction then he will be back. We all know UD is very calculated in the things they do. This could be one of those calculated steps.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-06-2013), shocka43 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
TA, I was not referring to the MK situation. Becoming a member of the C7+ conference, or not, will be one of the most significant developments in the history of UD athletics.

Please re-read my post. Re the C7+ issue, I am not over reacting. This is very important.
OK. I agree with the new conference affiliation being significant. The MK situation has no bearing upon any of it imo.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
Since we are just speculating here - Would it be a stretch for ESPN to leak half truths in an attempt to derail the C7 conference expansion process???

After all Fox is creating a new station that will compete with ESPN. The source trail leads back to ESPN.

Not saying..... Just speculating.
I won't speculate. I will say that ESPN has owned college basketball for years now. The Fox Threat is real, and one that takes away their Monday Night stronghold. A Marquette vs Georgetown match would garner some ratings for Fox.

In addition, Fox has very little on their website relative to the Catholic 7.

Finally, I'm sure schools in the negotiating process have signed strict confidentiality agreements. I would like to think Curran has his pulse on this. He's kept basketball front and center for the school which leads me to believe He's pushing hard for UD to join,
Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
I won't speculate. I will say that ESPN has owned college basketball for years now. The Fox Threat is real, and one that takes away their Monday Night stronghold. A Marquette vs Georgetown match would garner some ratings for Fox.

In addition, Fox has very little on their website relative to the Catholic 7.

Finally, I'm sure schools in the negotiating process have signed strict confidentiality agreements. I would like to think Curran has his pulse on this. He's kept basketball front and center for the school which leads me to believe He's pushing hard for UD to join,
think at this point the schools being included have been decided. either we're in or we're not.

but like you i would agree the schools were prob told to keep their mouths shut. especially considering the big east/C7 haven't officially split yet.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5519

The latest article
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Captain

flyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
1984?

1974?

1967?

Why didn't we capitalize on ours?
My opinion is that UD was hot at the wrong times, i.e., pre-ESPN. Gonzaga is largely an ESPN-creature -- get hot one year, become media darling, starts to snowball. Why it would have been really, really nice to have 2 NCAA runs in the past 15 years in order to be an "it" team.
Mad Props to flyer2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClevelandFlyer05 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I would not be surprised if UD is using this article to see how people react. If there is uproar and a lot of negative reaction then he won't be back. If they receive what they believe is acceptable negative reaction then he will be back. We all know UD is very calculated in the things they do. This could be one of those calculated steps.
oooooh...conspiracy theorist!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Competition with other candidates...

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5519

The latest article
Posted via Mobile Device
I have yet to read anything that convinces me or evem makes me confident that UD will be selected in Phase II of the C7+ expansion. There may be only three additional slots with four or more candidates.

That reminds me of the one slot the ACC had when Maryland announced it would join the Big Ten. Only UConn and UC were ever mentioned as serious candidates. UConn had plenty of advantages and the UConn president had strong ACC connections.

Yet UL was selected.

The CT media did a post mortem a few weeks after the fact and discovered that the ACC decision in favor of UL was a no-brainer, a slam dunk for UL. Prominent among the discoveries by the CT media was the fact that UL's AD, Tom Jurich, put together a pitch/proposal for the ACC that was so outstanding, so persuasive, as to account for the "slam dunk" win over UConn.

Now the UConn leadership is not inexperienced. In fact, the president and AD are first rate. But, they were trumped by Tom Jurich's savy and expertise.

That is what I am looking for from Curran and Wabler. We all hear about the wonders of Dayton basketball,...all the many pluses that set us apart from practically all peers.

I don't want to hear any more of that....no more red and blue kool aid. What I want and am hoping is happening, or has happened, is a formal, knock-your-socks-off pitch to the C7 that makes including Dayton a no-brainer.

Talk is cheap....UD needs a lot more than that. And it's entirely possible that one or more of our competitors is doing a lot more than just talking. I have no way of knowing that.

Nonetheless, the one thing that would truly disappoint after the fact if we are unsuccessful, is to read that XYZ U out foxed us with a thorough, dazzling pitch to the C7 that carried the day.

Curran and Wabler should be doing the work for the C7...making it easy for the C7 to understand why the University of Dayton is the right choice.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Academy Doolie

UDMARK will become famous soon enoughUDMARK will become famous soon enough
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...ugh-job/nWjNs/
Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, if FOX winds up being the reason we don't get into the new league, I may have to start watching MSNBC (Gawd, we better get in now!) If we don't make the "cut", we'll just have to dominate the new A-10 and whoop some C7+ butt in the Dance. Wake me when there is a decision....over and out.
Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Captain

FSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really nice
I have yet to read anything that convinces me or evem makes me confident that UD will be selected in Phase II of the C7+ expansion. There may be only three additional slots with four or more candidates.

That reminds me of the one slot the ACC had when Maryland announced it would join the Big Ten. Only UConn and UC were ever mentioned as serious candidates. UConn had plenty of advantages and the UConn president had strong ACC connections.

Yet UL was selected.

The CT media did a post mortem a few weeks after the fact and discovered that the ACC decision in favor of UL was a no-brainer, a slam dunk for UL. Prominent among the discoveries by the CT media was the fact that UL's AD, Tom Jurich, put together a pitch/proposal for the ACC that was so outstanding, so persuasive, as to account for the "slam dunk" win over UConn.
It's very simple. It pretty much had to do with UL proving they can be very good at football, liberally investing their money into new facilities and upgrades and having a large athletic budget.

UC plays in a small stadium and has a small budget. UConn doesn't even have an on-campus stadium and doesn't have a large budget. UConn is also in the northeast and southern and mid-Atlantic folks that care about football would've been appalled if UConn were added.

Once the ACC was aware that UL wanted to join and once that knowledge went public it was all over. By no means do I think it was a slam dunk or unanimous decision. But the ACC HAD to add UL to keep member schools from abandoning ship. The ACC chose the best of 3 mediocre options in the hopes it'd keep its own ship afloat. It's the same reason the ACC raided Pitt and Cuse a year or two ago: self-preservation.

UConn can join with WVU and UC when schools start leaving for the Big Ten and SEC.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
The statements of Curran don't make me feel very warm and fuzzy.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-06-2013), Viperstick (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM

Well informed...

Originally Posted by FSUFlyer View Post
It's very simple. It pretty much had to do with UL proving they can be very good at football, liberally investing their money into new facilities and upgrades and having a large athletic budget.

UC plays in a small stadium and has a small budget. UConn doesn't even have an on-campus stadium and doesn't have a large budget. UConn is also in the northeast and southern and mid-Atlantic folks that care about football would've been appalled if UConn were added.

Once the ACC was aware that UL wanted to join and once that knowledge went public it was all over. By no means do I think it was a slam dunk or unanimous decision. But the ACC HAD to add UL to keep member schools from abandoning ship. The ACC chose the best of 3 mediocre options in the hopes it'd keep its own ship afloat. It's the same reason the ACC raided Pitt and Cuse a year or two ago: self-preservation.

UConn can join with WVU and UC when schools start leaving for the Big Ten and SEC.
Pretty good analysis, FSU. Being an astute observer, I'll even bet that FSU stands for Florida State U.

So let's get to your last sentence. First, I don't suppose you think that WVU would jump from ite new home in the Big 12 to the ACC, do you? I know the geography would be better. But, WVU moved heaven and earth to get into the Big 12.

More important, do you really think that the ACC is going to lose schools to the SEC and/or Big Ten. Who? When? What about the $50 million exit fee? I know UM will negotiate down from $50 million...but the fee will still be mighty large, e.g., $20-$25 million.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
1st Lieutenant

PinehurstFlyer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I was thinking along those lines too. His comments seem to indicate that 1. We have not been told we are in (that alone is worrisome), and 2. The decision is not only out of our hands, it's really not even in the hands of the other schools - the TV money will drive the decison. I don't see, for example, a University President going to his board and saying something to the effect of "I voted for Dayton because (insert any reason in the world you want to besides money) even though it dimishes our payout from the TV revenue".
Mad Props to PinehurstFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty good analysis, FSU. Being an astute observer, I'll even bet that FSU stands for Florida State U.

So let's get to your last sentence. First, I don't suppose you think that WVU would jump from ite new home in the Big 12 to the ACC, do you? I know the geography would be better. But, WVU moved heaven and earth to get into the Big 12.

More important, do you really think that the ACC is going to lose schools to the SEC and/or Big Ten. Who? When? What about the $50 million exit fee? I know UM will negotiate down from $50 million...but the fee will still be mighty large, e.g., $20-$25 million.
Didn't we have a thread that has like 25,000 hits and over 1000 posts relating to the FB schools and their movements? I suggest talking about UConn and leaving the ACC go to that thread. Let's keep this one solely focused on UD's attempts to join with the C7 before this gets to 1000 posts as well...
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Thanked 1,170 Times in 508 Posts
MD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond repute
I agree. This appears to be the start of damage control. I hope that is not the case, obviously.
Mad Props to MD Flyer Pride For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PinehurstFlyer View Post
I was thinking along those lines too. His comments seem to indicate that 1. We have not been told we are in (that alone is worrisome), and 2. The decision is not only out of our hands, it's really not even in the hands of the other schools - the TV money will drive the decison. I don't see, for example, a University President going to his board and saying something to the effect of "I voted for Dayton because (insert any reason in the world you want to besides money) even though it dimishes our payout from the TV revenue".
I just read it again. Add the part, "...the fact that we are in the A10, and it is a strong conference - we're blessed with that"

Forget about all the speculation from the friend of a friend and Jersey Guy and everyone else, reading that article makes me think we aren't going to be in the new Big East.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
I don't find those comments all that discomforting. If nothing else, it confirms the university has been proactive in "communicating" its qualities to the C7. I'm marginally pessimistic as to how this will play out for the Flyers, but I don't believe it will be for lack of administrative effort.

Frankly, if we're left in the dust, better it be because of Fox than because of disdain from our peers. At least then we can call it a "business" decision and not so much a performance issue.

Fox may have its own arguments pro/con when comparing Dayton, Richmond and assorted other competitors. I continue to think the real wrench in all of this is Notre Dame. Fox is more than willing to sit back and give the Irish all the time in the world to determine whether they want in -- for just a year or for something more.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-06-2013), jpk4ud (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
Is it as simple as City (market) Size?

2011 Rank
43 Omaha Nebraska 415,068

177 Dayton Ohio 142,148
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MD Flyer Pride View Post
I agree. This appears to be the start of damage control. I hope that is not the case, obviously.
I am not saying any means justify the ends. However, this is all about the result Curran and Wabler drive. They should be evaluated on the result whether we receive an invite to the new Big East, not the process. We tried really hard and did everything professionally, but it was out of our control will not cut it for me. We have known this day would be coming for 10 years and Curran/Wabler should be measured on the success of their 10 year campaign. If they succeed, big bonuses are due as this will materially impact athletics, reputation, and yes academics. If not, ...
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (03-06-2013), MD Flyer Pride (03-06-2013), UACFlyer (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt that the president of the university would be deemed a failure if we didn't get into the BE. There is a bit more to the university than basketball, although is is hard to tell that when one visits a sports board.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-06-2013), rollo (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,430 Times in 755 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
i'm with you, fly. folks need to ask who is the intended recipient of his words. it goes without saying that it's meant to placate concerns in the ud community. he's telling people to wait and see. he warns that it could be a while before a decision is made regarding the final members. it's almost like he's saying, "we're on it. you can relax as we'll do everything we need to do." i actually appreciate his candor. however, i don't think his words were meant only for the ud community. i believe that he's also telling the c7 that ud understands the process. curran shows a tremendous amount of respect for the new conference and the member institutions. remember, we're not the only people that have heard about the overwhelmingly negative perspectives of marquette and georgetown. curran doesn't lose sight of them with his remarks. i like it...good politics. last, curran makes it clear to the a10 that ud's gone if it gets an invite. i'm sure that it was well known, but this is the first public statement from ud announcing it's prospective intentions. again, i like it...good politics.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
"But Fox TV, which is negotiating with the new Big East, likely will decide where it wants to go and how big a footprint it wants to have."

I'v thought this from the start. Fox holds all the cards. The money they are offering is too big for them not to get what they want.

I like the comments made by Curran that they've had very professional and quality conversations on why Dayton?

Unfortunately, it may not be about the best conference for all sports and the schools. It may be about what Fox wants and sees as important.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-06-2013), Flyer 86 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
Is it as simple as City (market) Size?

2011 Rank
43 Omaha Nebraska 415,068

177 Dayton Ohio 142,148
you clearly have not been to nebraska. the 415,068 makes up a much larger portion of the omaha metro market than what dayton does in its metro market. there is nowhere near the suburban growth and rural population in nebraska that we have in southwest ohio. dayton was the 61st largest metro market in the 2010 census, and i believe that omaha was 60th. it's a wash.
Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Brigadier General

for what it's worth, the omaha metro market had 865,350 and the dayton metro market had 841,502 in the 2010 census. the dayton metro market population includes dayton-greenville-springfield. it does not overlap with cincinnati. however, the next census will be the first that combines the dayton and cincinnati metro market populations. it will be comparable in size to the baltimore-washington, d.c. metro area. i doubt that the c7 think that they can cover the market with only x, and i'm sure they understand the value of having a strong presence in a top 20 metro area.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM

50-50

I have re-read the DDN article....carefully.

I think it can be interpreted either way. He surely doesn't sound like a guy that knows he has been selected for Phase II. But, he doesn't sound like a guy that knows he's out.

Sometimes (often?) when reading between the lines you miss what's "on the lines". Curran remarks sound like those of a guy who really doesn't know how this will play out.

Thus, I give us a 50-50 chance.

If "footprint" is a Fox driver we're done. If filling programing time with quality stuff is very important, we have a shot. If guaranteeing a great BB atmosphere for TV 100% of the time matters...that helps a lot.....can't beat UD for that.

I think our biggest drawback is proximity to X and BU.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
you clearly have not been to nebraska. the 415,068 makes up a much larger portion of the omaha metro market than what dayton does in its metro market. there is nowhere near the suburban growth and rural population in nebraska that we have in southwest ohio. dayton was the 61st largest metro market in the 2010 census, and i believe that omaha was 60th. it's a wash.
And a lot fewer D1 basketball schools as well. If you are a college BBall fan from Middletown or Franklin for example, who is your team? OSU, UC, X, Miami, UD or _________?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Some of you may have missed this story back at the end of November last year. I, for one, do not believe it was coincidence that it was published - or that the information has not been shared with interested parties.

http://daytonflyers.com/mens/basketb...rticle_id=9398
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (03-07-2013), FlyerinChicago (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Well, if we are left out it will be:
Jesuits 3
Baptists 1
Marianists 0.

Last edited by bobber; 03-06-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Brigadier General

i don't have the numbers, but i have to believe that the dayton metro area has many more tv's tuned in on ud games than omaha. if you're worried about other schools, you have to consider that lincoln is only 52 miles from omaha. i'll take the flyers in that battle for tv's. does anyone really watch uc, x or miami (miami...really?) in the dayton-greenville-springfield area?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Brigadier General

so, i looked up the numbers. for the 2011-12 season, dayton was #8 in basketball tv rankings. omaha didn't make the top 25. going back to the idea that the cincinnati-dayton metro area is an asset worth pursuing, cincinnati was ranked #7.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-07-2013), Flyer Dave (03-06-2013), TA111 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I just read it again. Add the part, "...the fact that we are in the A10, and it is a strong conference - we're blessed with that"

Forget about all the speculation from the friend of a friend and Jersey Guy and everyone else, reading that article makes me think we aren't going to be in the new Big East.
Heck, this is the same thing Butler said just the other day. Are you saying Butler's not going over? This is University speak. You never diss the current conference.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Some of you may have missed this story back at the end of November last year. I, for one, do not believe it was coincidence that it was published - or that the information has not been shared with interested parties.

Why over the last couple of years have I had to try and watch many games via a crappy internet stream on my **** computer? Or on the pathetic coverage (picture and sound quality of WHIO TV) yes it has been better this year, but still not true HD.
I'm in Kettering and I do have cable. But I'm not paying any more money for NBC, CBS, Fox or whomever sports channel.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
2nd Lieutenant

purpieschu is on a distinguished road
I believe any of us who can read that DDN article and remain optimistic are very naive. This is a done deal and President Curran knows the decision. We are not getting into the NBE. It is hard to over estimate how much of a negative impact this will have on the program. I would believe it is safe for AM to buy a very nice house in the Dayton area if he has not already done so. He will be here for a long time to come. I will continue to follow the Flyers with equal vigilance regardless so for those who always do, please refrain from the expected invitation to follow another team; it's so annoying. Here's hoping to eat crow but I am not so naive to think I ever will.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM

For sure,...

Agree, `69, info like this must have been made available to Fox/C7.

Have the C7 presidents turned the decision making over to Fox entirely? Sad, if they have.

Right now UD olympic sports are at or close to a high water mark.....and women's BB could not have picked a better time to be on the national stage.

The Marquette AD was quoted not long ago saying how important m/w soccer and volleyball were to the decision process. My gosh, by just about any standard UD athletics excels. (Except for one.)

But, to read the posts on this board lately, as well as the numerous media reports, one would think that the only thing that matters is what Fox wants.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant General

I am trying to figure out the motivation for making the statements to the DDN now. There's been absolute silence up to this point. Why say something now?

I just don't like it.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-06-2013), rollo (03-06-2013), UACFlyer (03-06-2013), Viperstick (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Many considerations...

Originally Posted by purpieschu View Post
I believe any of us who can read that DDN article and remain optimistic are very naive. This is a done deal and President Curran knows the decision. We are not getting into the NBE. It is hard to over estimate how much of a negative impact this will have on the program. I would believe it is safe for AM to buy a very nice house in the Dayton area if he has not already done so. He will be here for a long time to come. I will continue to follow the Flyers with equal vigilance regardless so for those who always do, please refrain from the expected invitation to follow another team; it's so annoying. Here's hoping to eat crow but I am not so naive to think I ever will.
I share your pessimism. But, it is a fact that Butler and Gonzaga got where they are today by playing in weak conferences that they could dominate. Thus, a UD in the A10 is not doomed to mediocrity.

I think the adverse impact of not making the Big East will be greater on the U's reputation than on BB. You are judged by the company you keep. And UD very much wanted to be associated with elites like Villanova and Georgetown.
Even the likes of SLU and Marquette enjoy academic reputations better than Dayton. That can change...but rubbing elbows with VU and GU would have jump-started the change.

Creighton's being selected is good in the sense that it means one less A10 school lost. But, with X, BU, SLU all leaving, UD is dangling alone in the mid-west. Thus, how the A10 backfills matters a lot to Dayton...to put it mildly. Bradley is a great fit for a number of reasons. Would BU feel the A10 is a step up?...enough to overcome the geographical disadvantage? I haven't a clue.

For awhile Valpo was riding pretty high....in recent years, not so much. Good fit otherwise though.

The A10 seemed to hit it big with the addition of BU and VCU...that was short lived. But, hopefully the A10 can land on its feet and add a few really attractive schools.

The remaining A10 schools aren't Georgetown or Marquette. But UD has been no better than average in the A10 for a decade...our self-assessment is more than a little better than the reality.

It will be a relief when all this is settled so that the A10 and UD at least know where they stand and can take steps to fix the holes and improve.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
for what it's worth, the omaha metro market had 865,350 and the dayton metro market had 841,502 in the 2010 census. the dayton metro market population includes dayton-greenville-springfield. it does not overlap with cincinnati. however, the next census will be the first that combines the dayton and cincinnati metro market populations. it will be comparable in size to the baltimore-washington, d.c. metro area. i doubt that the c7 think that they can cover the market with only x, and i'm sure they understand the value of having a strong presence in a top 20 metro area.
When you say size, you're talking geography, correct? Because the new Cincinnati-Dayton combined metro area will have nowhere near as many people as Baltimore-Washington.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future

Maybe UD should start it's own cable sports network.
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
MD Flyer Pride (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
Based on reading the DDN story, I think we're in!! I would say the probability of us being in is 89.28%.

I have no basis for that conclusion, but everyone else is making ridiculous assumptions after reading newspaper article so I thought I would join in on the fun...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
a guy on holyland of hoops says we are in in 2014 and its a done deal

http://holylandofhoops.com/viewtopic...a4a58a296db2b4
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Lieutenant General

This was posted within the hour.

http://ajerseyguy.com/
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Brigadier General

When you say size, you're talking geography, correct? Because the new Cincinnati-Dayton combined metro area will have nowhere near as many people as Baltimore-Washington.
i encourage you to research it. the 2 metro markets compare favorably with the combined dayton-cincinnati area having a larger population. baltimore-washington is 2.7 million. dayton-cincinnati is just under 3 million.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
What matters to Fox is the TV DMA. Not the census. They don't sell the census when they sell advertising.

The Dayton TV DMA is about the same as Omaha. Ratings for UD games in the Dayton DMA are better than for Creighton games in the Omaha DMA. And in terms of eyeballs watching they are higher than X games in the Cincy DMA and Butler in Indy. Fox know this.

The question they (Fox) will wrestle with is viewership in the DMA versus footprint. They have to decide if the wider footprint means more ad dollars than a smaller footprint with more viewers. They know few watch X outside the Cincy DMA and that for TV Butler is a nonentity in Indiana. Now. They have to decide if the C7 changes that. Those two are going to be in because of on court success, where the real decision comes in is Creighton, SLU, Richmond and UD. Dayton attracts more eyeballs now. Richmond likely never will. SLU might. And Creighton in the C7 might be comparable to UD.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigred (03-06-2013), bobber (03-06-2013), Viperstick (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Just off the Jet

dcflyer will become famous soon enough
i encourage you to research it. the 2 metro markets compare favorably with the combined dayton-cincinnati area having a larger population. baltimore-washington is 2.7 million. dayton-cincinnati is just under 3 million.
The DC MSA alone is almost twice as large - 5.7 million people. If you include Baltimore, it's even larger.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metropolitan
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
2nd Lieutenant

I share your pessimism. But, it is a fact that Butler and Gonzaga got where they are today by playing in weak conferences that they could dominate. Thus, a UD in the A10 is not doomed to mediocrity.

I think the adverse impact of not making the Big East will be greater on the U's reputation than on BB. You are judged by the company you keep. And UD very much wanted to be associated with elites like Villanova and Georgetown.
Even the likes of SLU and Marquette enjoy academic reputations better than Dayton. That can change...but rubbing elbows with VU and GU would have jump-started the change.

Creighton's being selected is good in the sense that it means one less A10 school lost. But, with X, BU, SLU all leaving, UD is dangling alone in the mid-west. Thus, how the A10 backfills matters a lot to Dayton...to put it mildly. Bradley is a great fit for a number of reasons. Would BU feel the A10 is a step up?...enough to overcome the geographical disadvantage? I haven't a clue.

For awhile Valpo was riding pretty high....in recent years, not so much. Good fit otherwise though.

The A10 seemed to hit it big with the addition of BU and VCU...that was short lived. But, hopefully the A10 can land on its feet and add a few really attractive schools.

The remaining A10 schools aren't Georgetown or Marquette. But UD has been no better than average in the A10 for a decade...our self-assessment is more than a little better than the reality.

It will be a relief when all this is settled so that the A10 and UD at least know where they stand and can take steps to fix the holes and improve.
I hope you are right. I freely admit I have a tendency to see the glass half empty. I just think it will be a very difficult task to climb out of the hole of mediocrity if we are left in a much weaker A10. Is it plausible that Curran remained in the dark when those statements were made? I would love to believe that were true. I just having a very difficult time believing that. If we do get left behind I will try to catch some of your optimism.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Just off the Jet

dcflyer will become famous soon enough
What about the possibility that Curran's statement reflects the fact that UD's entry into the Big East will be delayed for a year (2014 season as ESPN and CNNSI reported last week) so he wants to make nice with the A-10 for a year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to dcflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I have a hard time believing that we will dominate the depleted A-10. I hope we do, but it's not at all obvious. Remove St. Louis, Butler, Xavier, and Richmond. What are we left with? A perennial punching bag (Fordham), a few teams that are generally pretty strong (SJU, VCU, UDayton), and a whole bunch of teams where each year 2 or 3 of them are pretty good (Duquesne, SBU, La Salle, GW, Rhode Island). I hope that group manages 2-3 bids per year even if we aren't part of it. But if we are, take the perennial contenders plus 2 or 3 of the 'sometimes good' teams that are good each year, and that 5-6 teams each year legitimately competing for just 2-3 NCAA spots. Staying in the A-10 isn't going to automatically get us a better shot at an NCAA berth. We might tick up a couple spots in the standings on average, but the weaker league also means fewer bids.

* (We don't always live up to the hype, but we've always been competitive.)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
The combined metro area does not mean the Dayton and Cincinnati TV markets will be merging. Dayton is and will remain a separate TV market from Cincinnati. I don't know a single TV market that has more than one network affiliate for the same network. The only way Dayton and Cincinnati ever get combined is if the local broadcasters agree to shut down. Not going to happen.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by dcflyer View Post
The DC MSA alone is almost twice as large - 5.7 million people. If you include Baltimore, it's even larger.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metropolitan
Posted via Mobile Device
you are right about the dc metro area, which includes parts of maryland, virginia, west virginia and dc. however, i was talking about the baltimore-washington metro area. they are distinct and separate. i think the problem is the name of the metro area. it's actually the baltimore-towson msa, but it's considered the washington-baltimore-virginia csa.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:58 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Promising

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...er-sources-say
Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
CBS Sports says the C-7 will pay the football schools 110 million, for the BE name and to have tourney at MSG
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 AM

MD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
Maybe UD should start it's own cable sports network.
That would go over like a fart in church. We can't even get streaming video right.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MD Flyer Pride For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-07-2013), The Gem (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Major

westchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to all
Posted on SI.com:

The Big East conference will announce an agreement with seven of its Catholic school members to separate on Thursday, according to a report on ESPN.com.

According to the report, the seven schools – DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s, and Villanova – will retain the Big East name and begin administration of the league on July 1. The new Big East is expected to add Butler, Xavier, and Creighton before the 2013-2014 season, with Dayton and St. Louis prime candidates to expand the league the following season.

The Catholic schools’ departure leaves 10 remaining teams from the old Big East, who will have to determine a new name for their conference by July 1.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Where there's smoke, there's fire. They keep reporting we are in, so I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that we are in. I'm not going to relax until it''s official, but I am certainly not joining the "let's blame TW and Curran for their failure" group that surprisingly exists already.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-07-2013), jpk4ud (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
Where there's smoke, there's fire. They keep reporting we are in, so I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that we are in. I'm not going to relax until it''s official, but I am certainly not joining the "let's blame TW and Curran for their failure" group that surprisingly exists already.
Posted via Mobile Device
I mostly agree except with the "pretty comfortable" comment. I'm uncomfortable. In fact, I have very little trust in the reports that say we are a leading candidate for 2014-15. Heck, at one time, weren't Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul, Herman Cain, and Newt Gingrich all leading candidates for the 2012 Republican nomination for President? A lot can happen in a short period of time.

Last edited by jumpin' joe; 03-07-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM

AustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
Except most places aren't really reporting that we're in. They're saying we're "prime candidates" or similar.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...ill-alive.html

The words on the banner were simple: “BASKETBALL IS OUR RELIGION.” The turn of phrase was not lost on anyone, whether Jesuit or Augustinian.

It’s true that the crowd at the Wells Fargo Center on Wednesday wasn’t as big as it could have been. It’s spring break on the Main Line, and there was a threat of bad weather. Had the game been on a Saturday, the crowd surely would have been bigger.

But one thing that I wrote still holds true: games like Villanova-Georgetown generate outsized interest relative to their institutions. For many years, crowds at NBA arenas throughout the Big East have been larger than the combined enrollments of the schools involved.

It’s been true for not just the Hoyas and Wildcats, but also St. John’s and Marquette. Even Seton Hall and Providence have significant histories, even if their recent pasts haven’t measured up. We know that Xavier and Butler will bring fan bases, histories and traditions when they come to the new Big East. So will Creighton and Dayton if they join in.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
Next year: Xavier, Creighton, Butler. Dayton and St. Louis to follow in 2014.

Fox is the broadcast partner. Announcement soon.

http://holylandofhoops.com/viewtopic...ad9f74377e4aae
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
1st Lieutenant

udflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the rough
UD Earl: The Holyland of hoops post is two days old.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Flyer11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by udflyerfan View Post
UD Earl: The Holyland of hoops post is two days old.
It was last night
Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
there's "confirmation" on the back end of that thread from some other "random internet message board poster" if you can believe such a person.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Why are power FBS conferences going to 14, 16?

The SEC, Big Ten, ACC already have expanded to 14 schools and are looking toward 16. This involves travel issues, breaking rivalries, etc.

Why are they doing it? Why are these conferences continuing their growth? Isn't it all about TV money? I'm asking...isn't the primary reason because of expanded TV markets?

If more knowledgeable Priders say, "Of course, dufus, why do you think it is?",...then why doesn't the same logic apply to the new Big East?

It appears that the BE will, in Phase I, add two, maybe three schools,...X, BU and possibly CU. Then there is talk of a second phase the next season in which UD and SLU are ususally mentioned, bringing the BE to 12 schools.

But, given the logic of the FBS FB schools,...why would the Big East stop at 12 if there was more money to be made by going to 14, assuming that there were desirable schools to be had?

I am suggesting that even if UD doesn't make Phase II, why does that mean we are forever locked out of the Big East?

Back to the tone of Curran's DDN interview and his solicitous comments re the difficult job of the BE presidents and how well they are handling the situation,..and his understanding of their difficult task: Dr. Dan may well know UD won't make the second phase, as one Prider has suggested. But, he's a smart guy...and he may aleady be thinking beyond a Phase II expansion to 12 teams, recognizing that with TV driving the bus, there is no reason to conclude that the Big East will stop at 12 schools.

Whatever the outcome of Phases I and II, Dr, Dan wants to be sure that the BE presidents are impressed with UD and think highly of us.

Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM

wes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to behold
I asked Mike Kelly if UD was going to the Big East and he said "Dayton is very happy being in the A-10".
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I asked Mike Kelly if UD was going to the Big East and he said "Dayton is very happy being in the A-10".
That's about as standard non-answer answer as you'll find.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
well that's a classic "no answer" answer right there.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

ud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ague-on-july-1

No mention of UD. I am nervous.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
...Back to the tone of Curran's DDN interview and his solicitous comments re the difficult job of the BE presidents and how well they are handling the situation,..and his understanding of their difficult task: Dr. Dan may well know UD won't make the second phase, as one Prider has suggested. But, he's a smart guy...and he may aleady be thinking beyond a Phase II expansion to 12 teams, recognizing that with TV driving the bus, there is no reason to conclude that the Big East will stop at 12 schools.

Whatever the outcome of Phases I and II, Dr, Dan wants to be sure that the BE presidents are impressed with UD and think highly of us.

Just a thought.
I agree that Dr. Dan is trying to "toe the party line" in re what he says about the situation. But what I took from his comments is that we stand a very good chance of being part of the 2014-15 expansion, if we don't muddy the waters before the split is even formally announced.

To think of it in terms that old Fraternity guys can appreciate, UD cannot take-on the role of "entitled legacy", just because it is a Catholic institution. We'd only be a "legacy" if we had maintained a sports-based relationship with a number of the C7 schools. While that's not necessarily UD's fault, we have not. Instead, UD must assume the role of "humble pledge", and can only promise to work to become the kind of program deserving of inclusion in that "fraternity".

What will it take to become part of that "fraternity"? Some things that UD can control (on-court success, tournament appearances, and keeping an identity as a "dignified institution", a la many within the C7), and some things that UD can't control (size of the local TV market and the population base in general; proximity to other schools being considered; etc.). Only the C7 schools and their network partner know for sure, and they haven't publicly divulged that criteria yet.

Oh - and maybe Dr. Dan!

LET'S GO, FLYERS!!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
I agree that Dr. Dan is trying to "toe the party line" in re what he says about the situation. But what I took from his comments is that we stand a very good chance of being part of the 2014-15 expansion, if we don't muddy the waters before the split is even formally announced.

To think of it in terms that old Fraternity guys can appreciate, UD cannot take-on the role of "entitled legacy", just because it is a Catholic institution. We'd only be a "legacy" if we had maintained a sports-based relationship with a number of the C7 schools. While that's not necessarily UD's fault, we have not. Instead, UD must assume the role of "humble pledge", and can only promise to work to become the kind of program deserving of inclusion in that "fraternity".

What will it take to become part of that "fraternity"? Some things that UD can control (on-court success, tournament appearances, and keeping an identity as a "dignified institution", a la many within the C7), and some things that UD can't control (size of the local TV market and the population base in general; proximity to other schools being considered; etc.). Only the C7 schools and their network partner know for sure, and they haven't publicly divulged that criteria yet.

Oh - and maybe Dr. Dan!

LET'S GO, FLYERS!!
Thank you sir. May I have another.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
Or, UAC, "Dr. Dan", being a very smart guy, is simply covering his arse if things fall through and laying it all at FOX's doorstep. In other words, UD did it's best; TW did a great job (i.e. "I" did a great job), the C7 folks are great but have to do what's best for their respective institutions (i.e. maximize the cash flow from broadcast rights), but FOX may want a larger "footprint" for the money they're willing to spend and, you know, that would leave us out (i.e. the problem really lies with FOX and our geographic location.) BTW, that all could be true...it's quite possible DC and TW did a great job, that the C7 folks really wanted us, but FOX wanted a larger footprint and that nixed our chances. I just think, DC's comments were a little too self serving; in other words, instead of giving everybody and their brother (except FOX) a pat on the back, all he had to do was say that UD was in touch with those involve with forming the new league, that the process is on-going and he just didn't know how things would pan out. The timing of all this, given what was said, was a little worrisome.

As far as the SEC, Big Ten, etc. going to 16 teams and spreading their footprint, once again, the dynamics in FB driven leagues is different than BB leagues. The major conferences , due to the viewing dynamics of FB, have developed their own cable stations (i.e. The Big Ten Network, etc.) and can get them carried on cable systems that will pay them based on the number of customers within their systems, not necessarily on the number of subscribers to the specific station. While having a slate of BB, baseball, volleyball, etc. games help fill out the programming on Conference stations, the driving force in demand is FB. It is highly unlikely the new Big East or A-10 can achieve that, so their lone revenue source is securing broadcast rights from the Networks so expansion beyond 12 teams may actually mean less revenue per school.

Last edited by Bat'71; 03-07-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud86 View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ague-on-july-1

No mention of UD. I am nervous.
It's just the initial start up teams, at either 9 or 10 league members. They don't discuss at all expanding to 12 in the future.

If the C7 doesn't go to 12 and stays pat at 9 or 10, then UD is almost assuredly in the A10 for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM
General

http://creighton.rivals.com/content....0524&PT=4&PR=2

The above contains a link to something from SBnation which seems to indicate what everyone else is saying, that SLU & UD are likely to join in 2014.

FWIW, the guy that I mentioned confirmed the report on the holylandofhoops board, was backed up by a guy on that board, that says he is from the providence board and has been both in front, and accurate on everything he's said to date, in other words that his sources are great and he only shares when he knows things are looked up.

take if for whatever its worth, the one thing that seems to be lacking in all reports the last day or two is the mention of Richmond. The ESPN piece a week or so back, originally excluded Richmond, then was edited a short while later to include them as a possibility, now they appear to be no where in the conversation. I guess the question is, who is every one's "source" is it all from the ESPN piece and people are inserting the word "source" as a mask that they have no real insider knowledge and are stealing them from somewhere else, or are the 5-6 sites that have been repeating UD & SLU in 2014 getting their info from different sources, all equally knowledgable.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
one thing that no one has adequately explained is why 10 now and 12 a year later.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
seems like the same information is just continually being rehashed. we should have all probably given this topic up for lent....

on a side note, i still, for the life of me, cannot figure out the creighton inclusion. I know it is only a few hundred miles farther than Marquette, Depaul and St Louis, but at what point is it too far? 1500 miles (from Providence) is a long way. No big deal,but it is a head scratcher for me.
Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Captain

flyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the rough
I've been wondering the same throughout -- impossible to discern when names being tossed around in these "news reports" are based on actual knowledge, or whether it is the reporter tossing around his own speculation as to who is in the mix based on all the same internet chatter that we're all seeing.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

ud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of lightud86 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
one thing that no one has adequately explained is why 10 now and 12 a year later.
The only thing I can think of is that the new BigEast doesn't want to put the A10 in a position that they can't handle in such short notice of so many teams leaving at once. (and thus, not get sued by the A10).

But it does seem odd to have 2 phases in their expansion.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
I am convinced it is a combination of minimizing early exit fees and not completely screwing the A10...not that the BE cares, but i believe X, Butler, UD and St Louis (if thats the way it shakes out) are sensitive to that. the conference had already been losin UNCC and Temple after this season. 4 more schools at once and at this late stage would completely screw the A10.
Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:33 AM

How can you tell when some people are lying? Their lips are moving.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Exit fees?

Sea Bass, another Prider offered the following explanation:

1. The exit fee from the BE is a few million and lots of months (which can be degotiated.)

2. The "new" BE wants to start next season and is willing to add two BE schools and help them with the exit fee.....but why spend another few milion adding two more A10 schools and helping eat their exit fees, when you only need 10 schools to get started?

3. Waiting to add two more A10 schools gives those schools time to inform the A10 of their intention to leave a year+ in advance, which drops the exit fee by millions.

I'm not sure if I have all the facts/details right.....but the essence of this explanation is that the new BE wants 12 but doesn't need 12 to start play. And, by waiting a year to add the last two or three, several million in exit fees is saved.

How's that sound?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by AC91 View Post
I am convinced it is a combination of minimizing early exit fees and not completely screwing the A10...not that the BE cares, but i believe X, Butler, UD and St Louis (if thats the way it shakes out) are sensitive to that. the conference had already been losin UNCC and Temple after this season. 4 more schools at once and at this late stage would completely screw the A10.
I buy into the not screwing the A10 arguement. I also wouldn't be surprised that both UD and SLU wouldn't mind waiting a year if they knew they were in for sure. Archie could use another year to get his guys in place and SLU is going to have major rebuilding to do after this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-07-2013), Flyer69ers (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Captain

oRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant future
scheduling on short term notice...Big East currently plays 18 league games...9 team league or 12 team league will be 16 league games. Creighton being the 10th seems stupid from a scheduling standpoint but not everything in this is going to make sense from a casual first take and not knowing all the under currents.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
General

I posted it on here a while back, but read somewhere that Fox was willing to allow them to start up w/ less than 12, and pay them the full amount to help w/ getting the naming rights, start up fees, etc...

Don't know if that's true or not, but worth considering, depending on how the TV package breaks out. Another thought, the logistics behind getting everything up and ready for the fall sports season has to be tough, holding back 2 teams a year allows them to iron out the wrinkles on a slightly smaller scale.

Of course, there was also the thought that ND may be a member for a season.

Who knows the truth, but if they are indeed going to 12 for 2014/15 then I doubt they're going to wait long to announce who those 2 teams are. They'll want that taken care of by the end of that academic calander, which is quickly approaching for many schools.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
General

I buy into the not screwing the A10 arguement. I also wouldn't be surprised that both UD and SLU wouldn't mind waiting a year if they knew they were in for sure. Archie could use another year to get his guys in place and SLU is going to have major rebuilding to do after this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
If the altered join date is true and plays out that way, I doubt its because it was up to UD or SLU. Simple math (worst case) 300k in TV money from the A-10 is less than the the difference of 3 mil tv money from the Big East - minus 2 mil exit fees from the A10.

No one would voluntary sit out a year in this situation thinking it was a benefit to them.

The 18-16 game schedule issues make sense. At this point I doubt its easy to replace two Big East caliber games on your schedule for next season.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:29 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you this would be the ideal way for this to play out for UD. I just can't get myself to believe it will come to fruition.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Just curious, but what is your definition of major rebuilding? They only graduate 3 players. They return 4 of their top 6 scorers, 4 of their top 5 rebounders, 4 of their top 6 minutes guys (all playing 23 or more min/game), and 5 of their top 6 assist leaders.

And with the way the season has gone, it's doubtful that there's a major change on the sidelines. I don't know for sure, maybe Crews passes on the full-time job. But with the nucleus returning, I'd think he'd be on board. SLU will be in very good shape next year.

Their challenge will be the following year (2015) and making sure they get incoming recruits that can contribute almost immediately, since there's very little contributions coming from freshmen and sophmores.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Captain

axehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really nice
Again as has been mentioned, normally leagues are given much more than a few months notice of departure. Another thought could be the C7 does not want to many "outsiders" involved in the decisions being made for the new league. They will take a minimum number to have a legitimate league and eliminate a new group of 5 trying to have much of an impact on new league policy (which I cannot fault).
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Sea Bass, another Prider offered the following explanation:

1. The exit fee from the BE is a few million and lots of months (which can be degotiated.)

2. The "new" BE wants to start next season and is willing to add two BE schools and help them with the exit fee.....but why spend another few milion adding two more A10 schools and helping eat their exit fees, when you only need 10 schools to get started?

3. Waiting to add two more A10 schools gives those schools time to inform the A10 of their intention to leave a year+ in advance, which drops the exit fee by millions.

I'm not sure if I have all the facts/details right.....but the essence of this explanation is that the new BE wants 12 but doesn't need 12 to start play. And, by waiting a year to add the last two or three, several million in exit fees is saved.

How's that sound?
it is an explanation but IMO not an adequate one. The C7 cares nothing about the A10 or not screwing them over. Any exit fees will be made up by the immediate increase in revenue.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by axehandle View Post
Again as has been mentioned, normally leagues are given much more than a few months notice of departure. Another thought could be the C7 does not want to many "outsiders" involved in the decisions being made for the new league. They will take a minimum number to have a legitimate league and eliminate a new group of 5 trying to have much of an impact on new league policy (which I cannot fault).
This makes the most sense. The league might not be able to exist (and form league rules) without a full voting body. They'd prefer to keep the newcomers to a minimum so that 1 or 2 of the C7 can't join with the newbies and run over everyone else.

The latecomers may very well have to come in with a lower cut of the money for a certain number of years. I'd be okay with that as long as there is a sunset provision and Dayton would eventually be considered a normal full-member on equal footing with the rest of the league.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
Has there been any actual time and place confirmed for an announcement?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Fox wanted the new conference up quick and dirty, and to do it they promissed to help with, among other things, exit/entry fees. Creighton has no exit fee from the MVC at all. And it will cost 2 million each to have X and Butler leave the A10 without a year's notice. So, there you have a 10 team league ready to go this fall. And Fox is happy.

The year after, UD and SLU buy out of the A10 at 1 million each. Now Fox has a 12 team league and the "inventory" they need.

Seems reasonable. This is all supposition on my part, but it makes sense.

I hope I am right.

As for Dr. Dan's statement to the DDN, I have no explanation. If things are OK for UD he should have just done what Mike Kelly did and say, "We're happy in the A10." That is standard boiler plate and no one would think anything of it. But the "we've been treated well" stuff is a head-scratcher. Why say that unless you're anticipating a disappointment?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Just curious, but what is your definition of major rebuilding? They only graduate 3 players. They return 4 of their top 6 scorers, 4 of their top 5 rebounders, 4 of their top 6 minutes guys (all playing 23 or more min/game), and 5 of their top 6 assist leaders.

And with the way the season has gone, it's doubtful that there's a major change on the sidelines. I don't know for sure, maybe Crews passes on the full-time job. But with the nucleus returning, I'd think he'd be on board. SLU will be in very good shape next year.

Their challenge will be the following year (2015) and making sure they get incoming recruits that can contribute almost immediately, since there's very little contributions coming from freshmen and sophmores.

Upon further review, you are right. I have a SLU graduate, buddy he was lamenting a lack of recruiting. That may be the case but they will be strong next year. I thought Jett and Loe were seniors.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

udflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the rough
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colle...ouncement.html
Mad Props to udflyerfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant General

The Sun-Times article seems definite....announcement tomorrow. X, Butler and Creighton mentioned by name. Possible further expansion but no teams named.

Meh.