Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
What is your problem, I never seen you knock anyone elses highlight reels before, so why start now. We all know what a person did before coming to UD carries only so much weight; some pan out while others don't. But I don't get this sudden urge to be a Debbie downer on a prospect.

I've been watching recruits come in to UD for over fifty years and have never knocked any of them but have held my opinion (to myself) till I see what they do in the UD games.
And I did not see him "knock" this kid's video either.. Just a general statement other than Chris couldn't make a highlight reel unless the rim was at 7 feet...lol

I know guys that rate HS football players and never get out of their living room to do so. They watch "highlight" tapes......I rely on people who watch a kid during live action and during dead balls to see how he takes to his teammates, coaches, head in the game, pouting, etc........Like to watch how a kid plays the "further" away he is from the ball in all sports....
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,430 Times in 755 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It appears that UM has a mission of trying to spoil UD's recruiting efforts. UM is now in on Huff, and they are one of his 5 favorites. Like with Dawkins, they're late to the game. Late or not, they're making a quick impression...and a favorable one. Check this out: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...4_targets.html.

I also liked the nugget about Dawkins. He's at UD until this afternoon. There has been some confusion here about how long he is/was on campus. My hope is that we hear something from Dawkins later today.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
It appears that UM has a mission of trying to spoil UD's recruiting efforts.
Sounds like they're copying Huggy's tactics.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD Sam (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
LMAO.....I only wish schools were trying to spoil UD's recruits. Be a wonderful problem to have. Nope, bottom line is AM is recruiting hard and recruiting very good players....Players other schools want and will probably get more of (not all) as AM is building UD into a far more solid and excellent program than we've seen..

The play-in game was great, the 1st/2nd round games are greater, and put UD far more on the map. but the NCAA tourney success is in it's own world. Another one of those or maybe more success and UD could/will be leaving more of of the UM's of the world as bridesmaids..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (04-24-2014), TA111 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
What is your problem, I never seen you knock anyone elses highlight reels before, so why start now. We all know what a person did before coming to UD carries only so much weight; some pan out while others don't. But I don't get this sudden urge to be a Debbie downer on a prospect.

I've been watching recruits come in to UD for over fifty years and have never knocked any of them but have held my opinion (to myself) till I see what they do in the UD games.
I'll knock the highlight reel. Not the player, just the highlight reel.

It's almost all dunks and almost all from good passes from a guard. And mostly without a defender to go around/through. He did the right thing on every play - put the ball in the basket. So no complaints about what he did, but the highlight reel doesn't show if he has anything beyond athleticism. Can he drive? Can he post up? Hook shot? 10 foot jumper? The blocks were the best part of the highlight film, and that seems to be what people have latched onto. They probably should have put a lot more blocks into the film.

Contrast it with Ja'Mill Powell's highlight video:
http://verbalcommits.com/players/ja-mill-powell

There, you see him drive, create his own shot, throw down ally-oops, shoot the 3, exhibit several different moves/skills. Of course, it doesn't answer the question of how consistent he is. Based on the low-ish offers he has, my guess is he isn't that consistent, but the highlight video shows more of what he is capable of. (Edit - I checked his stats and confirmed: 37% FG, 31% 3pt. Not great.)

Last edited by FlyingArrow; 04-24-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
LMAO.....I only wish schools were trying to spoil UD's recruits. Be a wonderful problem to have. Nope
I can think of two situations in which Huggy swooped in late and took recruits that we wanted, Jacob Pullen and Eron Harris. He wasn't in on them early which indicates they were not at the top of his list.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,430 Times in 755 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Steve, perhaps you missed the obvious exaggeration. No one actually believes that UM's recruiting plan is to follow UD and jump in on our recruits. Instead, it is a reflection of the fact that we're in on some better recruits lately. UM got LeVert 2 years ago. Now, they're going after Huff and Dawkins.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Bottom line is we have been recruiting against the best programs for a couple of years now and this recent run can only help our cause.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-25-2014), westchesterflyer (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Contrast it with Ja'Mill Powell's highlight video
Speaking of Powell, here's a fun fact: Detwon and Ja'Mill were teammates at one time.
http://www.boccdreamcenter.com/index_333_3356062525.pdf
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (04-24-2014), OSU Flyer (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I can think of two situations in which Huggy swooped in late and took recruits that we wanted, Jacob Pullen and Eron Harris. He wasn't in on them early which indicates they were not at the top of his list.
But he wanted them and if he would have gotten the original guys he wanted then they don't get offered..And you have NO clue what happens along the way with schools. There are a boatload of players UD has pegged/ numbered high on their board that other schools have listed much farther down. The way recruiting works is when your top guys don't commit to you you scratch them off and go to the next.

LOL.If you think Huggins or any school is just taking a kid for spite to play games or get back at someone without a real desire or need for that kid in a sport where you simply CANNOT go wrong in recruiting if you want success and in a sport you might only have 2-3 spots a year than you simply don't follow recruiting very hard. Hugs OFFERED those guys because they're very good players and for one reason or another things did not pan out with others. The last thing he's worried about is UD.

And rather than take this insecure attitude maybe it's a real reflection of the high-caliber kids UD has been going after the past few years...

Last edited by steve; 04-24-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant General

FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Speaking of Powell, here's a fun fact: Detwon and Ja'Mill were teammates at one time.
http://www.boccdreamcenter.com/index_333_3356062525.pdf
Wow - random! How did you learn that? I just saw Ja'Mill Powell because we were listed as "interested, no offer" on his Verbal Commits page.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I read that Detwon had a short-lived post grad swim through that now defunct school so I looked it up, came across the roster, and noticed Powell's name because he was discussed here.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow - random! How did you learn that? I just saw Ja'Mill Powell because we were listed as "interested, no offer" on his Verbal Commits page.
You can't get anything past Figgie on the numbers.
You can't get anything past DallasFlyer on the recruiting front.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-25-2014), FLYER5 (04-25-2014), San Diego Flyer (04-24-2014), UD Sam (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Lieutenant General

I read that Detwon had a short-lived post grad swim through that now defunct school so I looked it up, came across the roster, and noticed Powell's name because he was discussed here.
Well as long as we're talking about him, two things I really liked on that video is his handle in traffic and his range. His drives are not just getting past someone but dribbling through/around traffic to the basket. It's impressive, but you have to wonder how many of those wound up as turnovers instead. And the range is not just at the line. He's often several steps back, and he's given the green light there. Granted, it's only 31% out there, though.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,053 Times in 471 Posts
UD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE= LOL.If you think Huggins or any school is just taking a kid for spite to play games or get back at someone without a real desire or need for that kid in a sport where you simply CANNOT go wrong in recruiting if you want success and in a sport you might only have 2-3 spots a year than you simply don't follow recruiting very hard. Hugs OFFERED those guys because they're very good players and for one reason or another things did not pan out with others. The last thing he's worried about is UD.

And rather than take this insecure attitude maybe it's a real reflection of the high-caliber kids UD has been going after the past few years...[/QUOTE]

I don't believe Huggy has recruited players the Flyers are pursuing for spite. I believe that when he wasn't able to sign his first picks and noticed that AM has been recruiting high caliber kids, he respected AM's recruiting choices and went after them. Just my opinion.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by UD Sam View Post
I don't believe Huggy has recruited players the Flyers are pursuing for spite. I believe that when he wasn't able to sign his first picks and noticed that AM has been recruiting high caliber kids, he respected AM's recruiting choices and went after them. Just my opinion.
tough to make a call like that. most coaches have seen almost all of the same players. mainly because the the AAU summer tourneys. every coach is in the building watching those.

i don't think huggins or whoever is saying to themselves "well i didn't get player #1 but i saw dayton was interested in player #2 so let me go make a pitch at em"

if you're in a top conference you have the luxury of offering the top prospects gauging their interest and then later being able to scoop up talents that were your 3rd, 4th, 5th option. a lot of times those are mid to high majors #1 or #2 options.

just how the system is. thats why NCAA success is important and for archie to make a really great pitch early and often to get the player who does blossom and gets BCS suitors late to say i'm sticking with who was interested in me from the beginning.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Highlights are just that. I could put together an incredible mix tape of myself in the driveway that would make Dude Perfect look bad.
Wait a second. Can you put together a highlight reel of yourself ferociously dunking and blocking shots against kids who are at least good enough to play basketball at the HS and/or junior college level? I don't think you can.

Flyer fans have clamored for a physical presence since Chris Wright left, and have been clamoring for a good "big man" (6'10 or taller, etc) for even longer.

I see this offer as a great development. This guy has all the physical tools, seems to have decent defensive timing, and plays with a bit of a mean streak. What's not to like? I can't imagine Sean Finn's highlight tape showed him hitting face up jumpers or beating guys off the dribble. He worked out all right. While this guy may never have an array of post moves, he appears to have the coordination and quickness to be a nightmare in a pick and roll scenario (keep in mind Scoochie will be pulling the strings, and I have no doubt that he would be able to find this guy if he pops open on a roll to the hoop).

I frankly hate seeing highlight tapes of big guys shooting midrange jumpers and handling the ball. That is not your role! Especially at the lower levels (HS, Juco) when you can simply physically dominate the opposition. I like the types of bigs who WANT to dominate the paint, not the types that are trying to turn themselves into stretch power forwards because they think that's where they will play at the "next level."
Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
When my son was a senior in HS we put together a football highlight film of his past accomplishments. Needless to say, we left out when he went left instead of right. However, we really tried to show how he hustled and knew how to anticipate plays. The highlight film is more about athletic ability than if a kid can hit a jump shot. You can find enough of those to fool people in a 2 minute highlight.

Not sure what there is not to like about this kid. He can jump, seems to have a good motor from what you can tell and he can block shots. Did I mention that he was 6'10"? How many of those kids have we had in the last 30 years?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
found this post on a North Carolina Greensboro board about Dime

His name is Malick Dime. He played at Walnut Ridge in columbus Ohio where his team played against Jordan Potts' Northland team. This year he played at New Hope Christian Academy in NC. Here are both of the MaxPrep sites:
http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/V8W...malik-dime.htm
http://www.maxpreps.com/local/team/r...6-967fb4bfa632
As you can see there is confusion whether it's Malik or Malick, but from what I've seen it's with a 'c". Here is a clip of him dunking on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYBA-bw7s8
and here's one showing highlights from this season:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_YTF8q9LM

He oviously is an athletic big man with potential. He seems like someone who fit well into coach Miller's system. I don't know if there has been any movement in his recruitiment other than he visited though. But at least now you guys can take a look and see for yourself.

http://uncgfans.freeforums.org/2013-...-t737-240.html
Not sure if he's a legitimate 6'10" (at least, not until you count the hair ), but he's definitely an agile BIG with pretty good defensive instincts. Could make for an interesting 1-2 punch with Big Steve (thunder & lightning). If Arch & the staff are interested, that's good enough for me.
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Major General

The one thing I was pretty sure about was that Dayton wasn't pursuing a transfer PG. Then I read this...

@Therecruitscoop Iowa St, Davidson, Auburn, Dayton, Butler, GTech, Minnesota, URI, Creighton, Rutgers & more inquired about Oregon St transfer Hallice Cooke.

The kid is good and has 3 years of eligibility but a little surprising to hear. Hmm...
Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
How do Junior Colleges work?

I see that Rogers spent 2 years at the College of Southern Idaho, but Dime only spent a year at Indian Hills Community College. Why the discrepancy regarding 1 year vs. 2 years spent in Junior College? Is that because Rogers injured his ankle in his first year in Junior College? Or did Dime make academic progress at New Hope Christian Academy, so he only needed a year in Junior College to qualify?

Last edited by ud2; 04-24-2014 at 10:51 PM..
Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
You can transfer out of JUCO anytime you want without penalty. You don't have to get a degree or graduate as a precondition
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW, Iowa State has also offered Dime. As of April 11, Iowa State was in his top 3 along with 2 other regional schools. Those 2 other schools would be regional to IHCC I guess. IHCC is located in Iowa.

Obviously, adding Dime would help solidify the frontcourt for next year.

http://iowastate.scout.com/a.z?s=171...2f1392981.html

Last edited by ud2; 04-24-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Would he be coming next year? That would be great! I hope he comes here.

(Don't take my criticism of the highlight video as an indication that I don't want him here.)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 PM

Would he be coming next year? That would be great! I hope he comes here.

(Don't take my criticism of the highlight video as an indication that I don't want him here.)
I was wrong, I got confused, LHSgolf's post said that he is a 2015 prospect, my mistake. I guess you have to spend 2 years at Junior College no matter what if you don't qualify out of high school. Dime might not pick a school for a while in that case.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:07 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Dime.....wouldn't that be a great name for a point guard?

Anyway, fun with his name aside, it is always great to have a shot blocker lurking back there in the lane just waiting for some slasher to come heading for the basket. I have always envied the teams who have such a player.

It must make the defensive end of the game so much easier for everyone concerned knowing that they can gamble a bit, and if they screw up and their man blows by them...instead of an easy layup the guy still has the big eraser to deal with.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The one thing I was pretty sure about was that Dayton wasn't pursuing a transfer PG. Then I read this...

@Therecruitscoop Iowa St, Davidson, Auburn, Dayton, Butler, GTech, Minnesota, URI, Creighton, Rutgers & more inquired about Oregon St transfer Hallice Cooke.

The kid is good and has 3 years of eligibility but a little surprising to hear. Hmm...
Cooke played Danny Hurley's dad in New Jersey for High School so that could give them an advantage.

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
How do Junior Colleges work?

I see that Rogers spent 2 years at the College of Southern Idaho, but Dime only spent a year at Indian Hills Community College. Why the discrepancy regarding 1 year vs. 2 years spent in Junior College? Is that because Rogers injured his ankle in his first year in Junior College? Or did Dime make academic progress at New Hope Christian Academy, so he only needed a year in Junior College to qualify?
If you're a full qualifier out of high school you can transfer after your freshman year.

If you're a partial/non qualifier you've got to go two years and get a degree.

You can always redshirt a year a JUCO but that doesn't happen often
Old 04-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Freep article on Cole Huff:

http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...ball-cody-huff

I like how they conveniently neglect to mention Huff's visit to UD slated for May 9th.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
The NBA draft makes it real tough on Spring signings. Think about it. McGary's draft status hangs out there affecting a guy like Huff. It even goes deeper than this. When the 4 UK underclassman in Poythress, Cauley-Stein, Johnson, Lee all decided to stay, it really impacted where McGary might land in draft. In the end, McGary's stock in the draft may have risen with the four UK teammates electing to stay. McGary's back injury also comes into play as he has slipped from a lottery pick to now somewhere in the mid to late first round. Beilein has probably told him, the scholarship is yours if and when McGary declares for the draft.
Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDFLIES (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Archie has certianly given the impression he's not holding schollies for anybody that doens't have Dayton #1 on their list.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Freep article on Cole Huff:

http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...ball-cody-huff

I like how they conveniently neglect to mention Huff's visit to UD slated for May 9th.
Coach Huff has a man-crush on U-M. He talks like he has a job waiting for him.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Major General

I was wrong, I got confused, LHSgolf's post said that he is a 2015 prospect, my mistake. I guess you have to spend 2 years at Junior College no matter what if you don't qualify out of high school. Dime might not pick a school for a while in that case.
I only really follow Dayton recruiting and since Dayton has not been much of a player in the JUCO world I could be off base but it seems like you rarely see a JUCO commit early like a HS guy would. So it might be that Archie has offered knowing that if he gets his primary targets, he won't have the schollie when it comes time for Dime to decide. But as we have all seen, you never know who will transfer so it seems like a good idea to be recruiting a guy in this situation to me.

Regarding Huff, I saw a quote that he is basically transfering out of Nevada because he doesn't want to play the 4. He wants to be more or a perimeter guy and playmaker. I would take him in a heartbeat but when he looks at the situation in Dayton, I am not so sure he's going to see that as his likely role. With everything I have read about how much he likes Michigan and Iowa plus his positional desire, I don't see him choosing Dayton.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM

If you're a full qualifier out of high school you can transfer after your freshman year.
Ok, well then if you are a full qualifier coming out of high school, then why would you go to Junior College at all? Why wouldn't you go straight to a 4 year school?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, well then if you are a full qualifier coming out of high school, then why would you go to Junior College at all? Why wouldn't you go straight to a 4 year school?
To hold out for a better scholarship offer and not have to wait a year to play when you transfer. I have seen kids who were injured their senior years and schools pull their scholarships and they go this route as well.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Major General

Most seem to go to a prep school in this situation. But do prep schools offer something like a scholarship or financial aid for athletics? I suspect they do. If not, then JUCO would seem an option for a guy who qualified but didn't have the offer they wanted coming out of high school.
ud2 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Mitch McGary didn't have much choice in declaring for the NBA Draft as he was going to be suspended for a year by the NCAA for rockin' the ganj:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mitch-m...073833742.html

So now UM has two scholarships open and like UD, they are chasing Dawkins and Huff.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
To hold out for a better scholarship offer and not have to wait a year to play when you transfer. I have seen kids who were injured their senior years and schools pull their scholarships and they go this route as well.
Happens more with football players. Also, I know there have been QBs get stuck behind elite talents and not get to play that much who light it up in JUCO for a year. Doesn't seem to happen that way with basketball players as often.
ud2 (05-04-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Mitch McGary didn't have much choice in declaring for the NBA Draft as he was going to be suspended for a year by the NCAA for rockin' the ganj:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mitch-m...073833742.html

So now UM has two scholarships open and like UD, they are chasing Dawkins and Huff.
That sucks. So had McGary failed any one of his 8 drug tests administered by Michigan, he would have got 3 games. But instead he failed an NCAA test so he would have to be suspended an entire year. Honestly, what I don't get is how more college kids aren't facing year or half-year (NCAA revised policy) suspensions. Seems like more would fail...

No reason to doubt McGary's account of what happened, but he could have just have easily blamed his back trouble, and said he made a bad decision in choosing a method of pain relief that was not legal in the state of Michigan or approved by the NCAA. But if he did that, I guess he might risk NBA folks being more concerned about how bad his back really is. So it's the old one-time bad decision after a few drinks route.

For a guy who was projected to be a lottery pick, the season couldn't have gone any worse for Mitch. Failed drug test and injuries are a recipe for a plummeting draft status. He may be lucky to get a guaranteed first round contract now.

Anyway to bring this back to UD, if Dawkins and Huff choose Michigan, we can officially blame it on McGary's pot, right?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:59 AM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA Bylaw 18..4.1.5.1

What a stupid rule....

http://www.ncaa.org/compliance/reins...nce-ncaa-bylaw
Old 04-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Can he transfer to the U of Colorado?
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-25-2014), Flyer 86 (04-25-2014), ud2 (05-04-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Can he transfer to the U of Colorado?
Posted via Mobile Device
Imagine the recruiting advantage if they were exempt from testing for marijuana. It reminds me of something I once heard St. Johns was able to pull off. I was told or I read that they didn't have a large number of dorms or something so what they were able to do is provide money to cover off-campus housing. What they'd do is recruit local NYC kids who lived at home or on friend's coaches, and then these kids could just keep that money which was a pretty huge chunk of change because of the astronomical cost of living in NYC. May be urban legend or a loophole that was closed or never existed really. Not entirely sure...
Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
Back to Dawkins, so now that he's had both visits and holds both offers, anyone have a guess on how long until he makes his decision? I'm hoping that we hear something today or at least by the weekend. I don't really know why he would drag this out any longer. Also does McGary going to the draft give Michigan an edge now that there's more PT to go around?
Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UDFlyer23 View Post
Back to Dawkins, so now that he's had both visits and holds both offers, anyone have a guess on how long until he makes his decision? I'm hoping that we hear something today or at least by the weekend. I don't really know why he would drag this out any longer. Also does McGary going to the draft give Michigan an edge now that there's more PT to go around?
I can't imagine him waiting past Monday. If he does, he's likely to find the decision made for him when one school or the other finds someone else.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:16 PM
Major General

I was thinking we'd hear today. Maybe not.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like him to choose our Flyers, but either way, I just want to know...! The suspense is killing me!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:37 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Imagine the recruiting advantage if they were exempt from testing for marijuana. It reminds me of something I once heard St. Johns was able to pull off. I was told or I read that they didn't have a large number of dorms or something so what they were able to do is provide money to cover off-campus housing. What they'd do is recruit local NYC kids who lived at home or on friend's coaches, and then these kids could just keep that money which was a pretty huge chunk of change because of the astronomical cost of living in NYC. May be urban legend or a loophole that was closed or never existed really. Not entirely sure...
I think it was true and my understanding was that since no dorms were available so St Johns could give kids the equivalent $s (NYC $s) to find there own housing. If they lived at home they could pocket it. But St. Johns built dorms and now they have to live there, thus losing that advantage.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Major General

Maybe Dawkins is just sleeping in. Of course Scoochie taught us that you don't have to get out of bed to make a big announcement. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vR5_qj2qP8E
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM
1st Lieutenant

funeralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to all
I think the visit went really well. They just left this morning. I would be very surprised if he didn't choose UD.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to funeralplanner For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (04-25-2014), FLYER5 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Academy Doolie

Santa Claus will become famous soon enoughSanta Claus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by udflyerhoops2 View Post
I'd like him to choose our Flyers, but either way, I just want to know...! The suspense is killing me!
What udflyerhoops2 says!

Aubrey Dawkins, C'MON MAN!

Last edited by Santa Claus; 04-25-2014 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: vernacular
Old 04-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by funeralplanner View Post
I think the visit went really well. They just left this morning. I would be very surprised if he didn't choose UD.
I thought Dawkins was leaving yesterday afternoon. Did he stay an extra day?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Was CW there to seal the deal?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:27 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I only really follow Dayton recruiting and since Dayton has not been much of a player in the JUCO world I could be off base but it seems like you rarely see a JUCO commit early like a HS guy would. So it might be that Archie has offered knowing that if he gets his primary targets, he won't have the schollie when it comes time for Dime to decide. But as we have all seen, you never know who will transfer so it seems like a good idea to be recruiting a guy in this situation to me.
Most JUCOs from what I've seen decide in spring of their sophomore year like Rogers. With Dime I would guess offering him now is trying to get him locked up in the fall signing period. Maybe if he stuck it out to the spring he'd blow up and have BCS/power 5 offers on the table.

Injuries like someone mentioned. Another is if someone is under the radar or a late bloomer. I read an article about Julian Edleman of the Patriots. No one recruited him out of high school and he ended up at a California JUCO for his freshman year before doing well enough to get a scholarship to play QB at Kent St his last 3 years
Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Academy Doolie

Santa Claus will become famous soon enoughSanta Claus will become famous soon enough
The forum seems FROZEN in time, until... Ho, Ho, Ho...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Santa Claus For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (04-27-2014), ud2 (05-04-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
On flyerhoops.net, Matt Schwade posted an article about Dawkins being " pleasantly surprised" by his visit.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
On flyerhoops.net, Matt Schwade posted an article about Dawkins being " pleasantly surprised" by his visit.
I was hoping for something more along the lines of it felt like home or I did not want to leave but I understand that not everybody displays their enthusiasm the same and he does have a decision to make.

I hope he makes the right one. Go Flyers! I would really like to see AM land this one I think he is right for out city!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cralford For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (04-26-2014), FLYER5 (04-26-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Captain

LI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to all
St John's in NYC was the only Division 1 college in the US that did not have dorms well in the 1980's. The allowed "stipend" to live off campus covered an entire family's expenses. Today they have dorms and are the "bottom feeder" of the NBE.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to LI2UD2PA For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (04-25-2014), westchesterflyer (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by cralford View Post
I was hoping for something more along the lines of it felt like home or I did not want to leave but I understand that not everybody displays their enthusiasm the same and he does have a decision to make.

I hope he makes the right one. Go Flyers! I would really like to see AM land this one I think he is right for out city!
Yeah, you'd think he would be going in with pretty high expectations if Dayton was one of two finalists. Maybe he was really high on the basketball situation and coaching but didn't know what to expect otherwise and was pleasantly surprised in that regard.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:01 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
On a positive note Dawkins did stay an extra day leaving Friday instead of Thursday as originally planned.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (04-26-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 PM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Those of us who attended UD are probably spoiled, but the campus layout and the ghetto separates the school from most others. Over the years I have shown the campus to several folks who were awed by the ghetto area, they had never seen anything like it. The big schools just don't have that homey feel like UD. I think this also exlains why when kids get here on recruiting trips they are surprised by the campus.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (04-26-2014), flyerfanatic86 (04-26-2014), Fudd (04-26-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, you'd think he would be going in with pretty high expectations if Dayton was one of two finalists. Maybe he was really high on the basketball situation and coaching but didn't know what to expect otherwise and was pleasantly surprised in that regard.
If one has never seen the Donoher Center you can't help but to be impressed! Each player has a personal wooden locker. There is a lounge area with a large flat screen TV and plush couches. There is a training room and a state of the art weight room with all the equipment necessary for strength and conditioning not to mention a small theater that seats about 20 for meetings, film study etc.

The fact that he decided to stay an extra day is an indication that he probably was impressed with the whole package. Academics, coaches and facilities.
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-26-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
If one has never seen the Donoher Center you can't help but to be impressed! Each player has a personal wooden locker. There is a lounge area with a large flat screen TV and plush couches. There is a training room and a state of the art weight room with all the equipment necessary for strength and conditioning not to mention a small theater that seats about 20 for meetings, film study etc.
The fact that he decided to stay an extra day is an indication that he probably was impressed with the whole package. Academics, coaches and facilities.
Not trying to take anything away from UD...I love UD. But many schools have this for players. Maybe not as nice as UD, but on par. And to be honest, many of the bigger basketball schools have this and more.
Flyer 86 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Not trying to take anything away from UD...I love UD. But many schools have this for players. Maybe not as nice as UD, but on par. And to be honest, many of the bigger basketball schools have this and more.
I also think academically Mich has UD hands down. His father went to Duke and coaches at Stanford. Tough for UD to compete when compared to all those.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (04-27-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The Donoher Center is a little behind the times when it come to amenities at the highest level. It is enough to out UD in the ball game, but it is far from an advantage vs high majors and even many mid majors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not doubting you, but for those of us thousands of miles away, could you be more specific about what is lacking in Donoher Center?
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 AM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Probably should be viewed a bit differently...

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post

True, the big time programs BB buildings are larger and have more features than the Donoher Center. But, UD's facilities are split. One should consider the Donoher Center, Cronin Center,..and now Reichard Hall together.

The Cronin Center is only a few years old and features the "Fieldhouse Gym" and "Bockhorn Court" as well as coaches offices. And recently it was announced that 10,000 sq ft Reichard Hall would be converter into a training facility with the transfer of some activities that were previously at Donoher, freeing up space at the latter for other purposes.

When all three facilities are considered as a whole, seems to me that UD is in pretty good shape.

If all the facilities were in a single building they might appear more impressive. But, maybe not. Taking a recruit from location to location and showing him/her the totality of UD basketball facilities may be even more impressive.

And then there is the Arena itself...

For more detail see the following:

http://www.udayton.edu/news/articles...s_upgrades.php

Last edited by UACFlyer; 04-26-2014 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: added article
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
sheg (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Major

bout an hour ago per @samwebb77 on Twitter

"Spoke to 2015 New Hampton Prep wing Aubrey Dawkins briefly yesterday. Confirmed Dayton was last visit. Decision within the week. More later"
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udflyerhoops2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-28-2014), FLYER5 (04-26-2014), San Diego Flyer (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
That is great news that we're his last visit, imo. I like our chances better..
Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Tariq Owens, who originally committed to Ohio U, was finally released from his LOI this week and reportedly lists Dayton in his list of schools under consideration. He is a 4-star forward.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (04-26-2014), OSU Flyer (04-26-2014), San Diego Flyer (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Major General

He would be a huge get. I was hoping we would be in on him when he was released from OU.
Flyer 86 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I'm not doubting you, but for those of us thousands of miles away, could you be more specific about what is lacking in Donoher Center?
It's just like anything approaching 10 plus years old and there's lots of investing by high majors in facilities during that time. There are technologies and amenities in the new faciliteis that aren't in the older ones unless you keep replacing everything. Video editing and technology has improved, like anything else.

Is Dayton way behind in those type of things, no. But the combination of the Cronin/Donoher/Arena complexes and facilities isn't something that gives UD a recruiting edge over many schools it recruits against when going after players attracting higher profile interest.

They are in the ball game. But the wow factor we may get if we see the facilities, isn't such a wow factor to those recruits. They see it everywhere they go, and in several cases they see more modern, more lavish and more up to date amenities.
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 10:06 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
It's just like anything approaching 10 plus years old and there's lots of investing by high majors in facilities during that time. There are technologies and amenities in the new faciliteis that aren't in the older ones unless you keep replacing everything. Video editing and technology has improved, like anything else.

Is Dayton way behind in those type of things, no. But the combination of the Cronin/Donoher/Arena complexes and facilities isn't something that gives UD a recruiting edge over many schools it recruits against when going after players attracting higher profile interest.

They are in the ball game. But the wow factor we may get if we see the facilities, isn't such a wow factor to those recruits. They see it everywhere they go, and in several cases they see more modern, more lavish and more up to date amenities.
how do the facilities compare to the A10/Big East competitors?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:43 AM
Major General

Dayton looks like they may be in on a few top F/C prospects for the '15 class. But stiff competition. If Aubrey did commit and Tariq says he wants to go to Dayton, no chance in heck Archie decides he's rolling our last schollie into the '15 class. Get him.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
@Brotherhood05
Cole Huff has 2 visits Set in stone with Iowa May 2 and Dayton May 9 figuring out dates with Creighton and Vanderbilt

Also, I picked up on some interesting info on the Michigan board. Someone there claims to work with Huff's father at a high school in Inglewood and got the impression that he would love to go to UCLA (they are no longer a restricted school) but UCLA may not offer. Of the schools that definitely want him, he really likes Iowa. Source: http://forum.umhoops.com/discussion/...014-targets/p2

Agree that he would be a fantastic addition.
UCLA just had a scholarship open up. I hope that doesn't hurt our chances with Cole Huff:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...2014-nba-draft
Mad Props to Iguomaniac For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 12:58 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Why?

Originally Posted by Iguomaniac View Post
UCLA just had a scholarship open up. I hope that doesn't hurt our chances with Cole Huff:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...2014-nba-draft
Why would a guy even consider UCLA if he has a chance to become a Flyer?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-28-2014), Flyer69ers (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
One google image search of "UCLA cheerleader" is probably enough to get a recruit to sign on the dotted line.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
If you enjoy the weather and lifestyle of Connecticut, then you would not understand why a kid would choose CA, the beaches and nice weather,
Old 04-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
If you enjoy the weather and lifestyle of Connecticut, then you would not understand why a kid would choose CA, the beaches and nice weather,
agreed . . .

because there are no fans like Flyer fans.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 PM

how do the facilities compare to the A10/Big East competitors?
I haven't seen all of the A10 or NBE. But there are NBE schools with more amenities, and there are some A10 schools on par. I am fairly confident in saying that UD's facilities are superior to LaSalle, St Bonaventure, Fordham, DePaul...
Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM

runnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to all
So is there any word on Dawkins?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
So is there any word on Dawkins?
Dunno. Is today D-Day for Dawkins to decide to end his deliberation?

Does Dawkins dream of dominating with Dayshon, Dyshawn, Detwon, Devon, the Double Davises and Dayton's other dudes?

As the drama drives to denouement, does Dawkins delight in Dayton?
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (04-28-2014), Jack D (04-28-2014), runnerup (04-28-2014), UDGutter2 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM
General

Josh Stirn ‏@Josh_Stirn 18h

2014 6'8 F Elijah Minnie (Dejuan Blair All-Stars) picked up interest from Tennessee, Memphis, Kansas State and Dayton over the weekend.

#5 Elijah Minnie - Lincoln Park - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDlMP...ature=youtu.be

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/elijah-minnie

Pittsburgh area kid so maybe Archie has a connection
Old 04-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Major General

I actually saw something about that Minnie kid the other day and looked him up. Tennessee fans are pretty excited about him and seem to think he's there's to lock up. Tenn will be one to watch moving forward as they have schollies to give as their recruits were all released following Cuonzo's departure, and specifically because they're in on two of the bigs Dayton is now rumored to have interest in - Elijah Minnie and 4 star Ohio decommit Tariq Owens.

Here is a 3 page thread on the Vols forum on Minnie: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenne...-minnie-3.html

In anticipation of the next question, "If he's any good, why is he available?" The answer is because of academics. He somehow managed to not pass a single class his freshman year of high school! If he's eligible he's probably good enough to play just about anywhere. If he's eligible.

Source: http://triblive.com/sports/hssports/...#axzz30CAdEcdp
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-28-2014), rollo (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Major General

Dawkins (and Huff) update:

Aubrey Dawkins took his visit to Dayton and came back asserting that he was done taking visits($) and that he'd have a decision between the Flyers and M within a week. No offense to Dayton, but this quote seems to favor Michigan:

"It’ll really be academics… which is better from that standpoint? Which degree carries more weight?”

Some guys talk about academics and they mean having a support system that will guide them through; Dawkins talking about prestige seems like a good indicator for Michigan and its shiny rankings. Dawkins also dropped a quote about being "pleasantly surprised($)" by his visit to Dayton, which is a backhanded compliment that gives you an idea of where his mind was going into that trip. Dawkins did give a different decision criteria to the Dayton site:

"The most important thing I'm looking for is opportunity and how I can come in and contribute. Not necessarily start, but carving out a role on the team."

If Michigan can convince Dawkins of that they'll probably land him.

Article with more on Huff too: http://mgoblog.com/content/monday-recruitin-diversifies
udflyerfan (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:29 PM

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
I really believe that the longer it takes the better for UD. On the surface, it is simple. Michigan is in the Big 10, has won anational championship and will be on TV and in the top 25 the entire time he is there. And to make things even better, they have very highly rated academics.

So why hasn't he made a decision?

Dayton has a very different feel as a university. Much smaller and more homey. When I went there I was impressed with the fact that I was in smaller classes and I was more than a number. In addition, he has a better opportunity to contibute at Dayton earlier. I know every kid thinks he is bound for the NBA, But Dawkins is a smart kid and can probably realize tghat although he is good, he didn't get any calls from McDonalds to be on their team.

The fact that he is still thinking bodes well for us. Saying Michigan would have been easy. Saying Dayton would be a surprise to the uneducated and thus more difficult.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-28-2014), rollo (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Flyers beating the Buckeyes on the court followed by UD being chosen over U of Michigan based on academics. Don't wake me up from this dream.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the next 18-24 months in recruiting may be the most important recruiting window of the last 30 years. It could mean the difference between falling back to our mean, or finally getting over the hump and becoming the program we've always strived to be at a national level. At no time before this have we been able to sell who we are with such reverberation. We cannot afford to waste this chance. We may have one opportunity to get it right.

Once you're over the hump, its much easier to maintain. But getting to the top of the crest is the key to the whole thing.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-28-2014), westchesterflyer (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Major General

I believe the next 18-24 months in recruiting may be the most important recruiting window of the last 30 years. It could mean the difference between falling back to our mean, or finally getting over the hump and becoming the program we've always strived to be at a national level. At no time before this have we been able to sell who we are with such reverberation. We cannot afford to waste this chance. We may have one opportunity to get it right.

Once you're over the hump, its much easier to maintain. But getting to the top of the crest is the key to the whole thing.
I agree. Part of me hopes Dayton capitalizes right now adding 2 more guys they really want vs rolling scholarships into 2015. Chances are we'll wish we had more to give in 2015, but if Archie did bolt after the next season, its ideal to transition when there's not a big recruiting class tied to your departing coach. Hopefully Archie stays for a long while, but just putting it out there as it relates to keeping the momentum going with recruiting.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Captain

axehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really nice
"I agree. Part of me hopes Dayton capitalizes right now adding 2 more guys they really want vs rolling scholarships into 2015. Chances are we'll wish we had more to give in 2015, but if Archie did bolt after the next season, its ideal to transition when there's not a big recruiting class tied to your departing coach. Hopefully Archie stays for a long while, but just putting it out there as it relates to keeping the momentum going with recruiting."

Dallas makes a lot of sense. Anymore, a change of coaches can cost you most of your committed players. I know if you have an in house coach ready helps, but I think players are more eager to check for greener pastures.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Major

westchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to all

I agree. Critical to this is keeping Archie. I think TW should hitch his wagon to Archie. We got a small taste of what it CAN be like. I don't want to go back!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that this year and next year's recruting class are abasolutely key. Archie has said that he wouldn't settle for recruits that wouldn't help the program. Right now he cannot settle for recruits that cannot help UD back into the elite eight. LOL, please forgive me english majors!

Dawkins at the guard spot just seems like he has great great potential and Archie can help him maximize that potential. too good to pass up.

The rest of the guys archie recruits for this year are simply going to need to be 'too good to pass up' or he will close the books on this year and concentrate on next year.

I sure would like for a certain stud from Springboro/Franklin to change his mind

Last edited by UDBrian; 04-28-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 03:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
With Aubrey off the list who are we really after from this class? I am guessing that the current list is the recruit who previously committed to Ohio University and a possible big man transfer. Otherwise we keep the ship unless it is someone from Europe or Canada. This is pure speculation from someone who doesn't follow recruiting as much as many on this board.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
My guess it that there are looking more at transfers. Either of the Cooke boys, Huff, etc. I am sure they will recruit Owens or Minnis but IMO they are longshots at best.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
So what's the scoop on Tariq Owens? I've seen a couple sites that say he has interest in Dayton, Temple, Seton Hall, Miami (FL), VCU, South Florida, and some others. Most of these schools offered Tariq, anyone know if we are now targeting him/trying to schedule a visit and offer? He's a 3-4 star guy depending on the website and technically considered a top-150 recruit in the 130-170 range. He's 6'9" but skinny listed at 200 lbs, sounds like a guy we could desperately use at the 4, someone I would trade for Dawkins any day.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:23 PM

wes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to behold
I remember an interview with Don Dohoher in which he said that he didn't think NCAA wins helped his recruiting all that much. That was years ago but I am interested to find out if that is still true.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by wes View Post
I remember an interview with Don Dohoher in which he said that he didn't think NCAA wins helped his recruiting all that much. That was years ago but I am interested to find out if that is still true.
I would agree that 30 years ago it might not have meant much, but we now live in the instant info age of ESPN. When you win in the tourney now you are all over the TV. In fact, Detwon indicated that the NCAA run had alot to do with his decision.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:53 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDFlyer23 View Post
So what's the scoop on Tariq Owens? I've seen a couple sites that say he has interest in Dayton, Temple, Seton Hall, Miami (FL), VCU, South Florida, and some others. Most of these schools offered Tariq, anyone know if we are now targeting him/trying to schedule a visit and offer? He's a 3-4 star guy depending on the website and technically considered a top-150 recruit in the 130-170 range. He's 6'9" but skinny listed at 200 lbs, sounds like a guy we could desperately use at the 4, someone I would trade for Dawkins any day.
he just recently got his release out of his LOI from Oohio and I got the impression he's still early in the process
Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 PM

"Watch the NBA Draft"

That's what I once heard an asst coach explain to a reporter that his school sometimes instructs coveted recruits to do. He went on to say that winning the national championship (which the school had just done) didn't seem to resonate all that much with recruits....but after the draft the "phone was ringing off the hook".

No doubt this depends on the school and the recruits. A few years ago toward the end of the BG era I recall a "friendly" debate among Priders whether or not UD was in the "national conversation". At the time we were a bubble team that did not make the Dance.

Well, that was then and this is now. By way of our sentsational March/April run Dayton most definitely is in the "national conversation". It's up to AM and his gang to make that pay off. The future is at stake. Basketball is a sport where a single recruit can make a world of difference. It's been a long time since we had that "single recruit".

During our run I recall reading a column (ESPN maybe) in which the writer said that Dayton doesn't have any "A" players or any "C" players...but it has an inordinate number of "B" players". "As AM subtitutes one after another there is no drop off in team play.."..something like that. It worked this year...no reason it won't in future years. Nonetheless, it would be nice to land an "A" player every once in a while. We should have their attention.

Go Flyers!
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 PM

I think we have to attach some years to these statements. In my era in the '50s and '60s the NCAA was just getting a foothold and the NIT still had a great deal of appeal. That and Blackburn recruited the east heavily which was NIT oriented.

Don had quite an NCAA run from 1965 to 1971. It's hard to believe that all those NCAA appearances didn't have an effect on his recruits. Like "wes" above, I would like to hear from some of the stars of those teams as to the impact of UD's NCAA tourney success on their decision to attend UD.

One thing supporting Donoher's point is from 1969 to 1971 we had 3 straight one-and-dones in the NCAA's. Marginal and fleeting success. Then our NCAA appearances went in the tank for the next twelve years with only 1 NCAA bid.

So we went from 6/7 years having a bid to the NCAA (throwing in an NIT Championship in the middle), to having 1/12 NCAA bids after that.

So it's a little like a play on an old saying, "If you think the NCAA appearances don't help recruiting, try a dozen years without it".

One thing for sure, when a program loses momentum, it's twice as tough to get it back.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 04-28-2014 at 08:09 PM..
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
westchesterflyer (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Major General

Hallice Cooke (Oregon State transfer) is supposed to be narrowing his list this week. I can see using a schollie on a guy that good regardless of position. The thing you might be concerned about is how Scoochie would feel about the situation, but it looks like he knows Cooke (a NJ kid) from his high school days and may even be leading the recruitment. It looks like Scoochie tweeted to Hallice a couple days ago that he was waiting for him. Hmmm....
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (04-28-2014), FLYER5 (04-30-2014), Glen Clark (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 11:25 PM
General

Hallice Cooke (Oregon State transfer) is supposed to be narrowing his list this week. I can see using a schollie on a guy that good regardless of position. The thing you might be concerned about is how Scoochie would feel about the situation, but it looks like he knows Cooke (a NJ kid) from his high school days and may even be leading the recruitment. It looks like Scoochie tweeted to Hallice a couple days ago that he was waiting for him. Hmmm....
Cooke I think could play at shooting guard
Closed Thread