UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 02:23 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Redhawks were ranked 4th on 3-23-15. Got upset in the NCAA tourney by our friends, the Providence Friars, or is that Cryers
Providence was playing at home despite being the #4 seed whereas Miami was the #1 seed. Providence had the advantage in more power plays. Did not hear a peep from Miami about home ice and referees ....
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,166 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
Kind of unrelated, but just hypothetically speaking, what if three or four games on everyone's schedule were set aside to be assigned by the selection committee??
I've wondered if there should be 6 games set aside, and scheduled by the NCAA. Basically, you break the RPI teams into 6 sets, and you play one team in each set, with a home-away swapping as you go through the sets.

For instance, let's round to 360 (I know it's 353 or so), for 60 teams per group. RPI Top 60 play 1 game against a top 60, 61-120, 121-180, 181-240, 241-300, 301-360. Have it like the NFL where the "matchups" are known in advance, and at the end of the season (either on Selection Sunday, or April 10th), the games could be publicized.

And if there is an issue with the money going into it, consider these "revenue-sharing" games and the lower level team is able to request the higher level team to host, or agree to a home-and-home or something. Therefore, if Duke is slated to play at Grambling State, Grambling can request Duke host the game, rather than "sharing revenue with Duke", Duke would be "sharing revenue" with Grambling.

But, I can't see anyone going for that...
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-14-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe it's time to ask for a home-and-home with Texas?
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (05-28-2015), Bucketnight (04-03-2015), ClaytonFlyerFan (04-03-2015), Flyer 86 (04-06-2015), rollo (04-03-2015), ruechalgrin (04-04-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
Not buying that! The power 5 coaches are calling the shots, and if the non-power 5 coaches don't go along with it, then they will be ostracized. The "good old boy" network is very powerful.
The people on the committee are not coaches.

I certainly wouldn't want to do anything to make scheduling good and compelling OOC games more difficult. I mean, I guess it's just so easy for good teams from weaker leagues to do that now because so many coaches want to play those types of games, so why mess with it?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:27 AM

Thanked 6,168 Times in 4,198 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Probably, but Colorado State and Temple thought they were getting at-large bids too. Temple had an SOS of 60 - a lot of good that did them. They scheduled up but lost too many games. The same could happen to us. (Richmond had an SOS of 32 but also lost too many games.) Of course, you and I have both said we would be willing to have one more road/neutral game to make it 15/15. I just wouldn't want to go any further than that. The key is making sure the home-and-homes we get are good ones, which UD attempts to do every year. We had bad luck this year because the exempt tourney teams were weaker than last year and our A-10 POD was terrible. As you said, I just don't see any reason to make major changes to a scheduling philosophy that has worked simply because the committee members had their heads up their butts this year.

Ok, I was not aware of you wanting a 15/15 setup, I thought you were arguing for no changes at all to the current scheduling philosophy. I can totally live with 15/15, as a matter of fact, I think I'm on your side regarding anything beyond 15/15, when you start playing more away/neutral than home, things do get a little tougher.

I thought you said above that a 15/15 setup is risky.

15/15 would involve 6 total away or neutral games every year, I can live with that.

If I'm not mistaken, UD has never played a 15/15 setup, or at least not recently.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
What does Dance Card say about a 15/15 split? Does Dance Card consider this past year a 16/14 split, or does Dance Card consider it a 16/17 split with the 3 games in Brooklyn? These questions need to be asked.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
The people on the committee are not coaches.

I certainly wouldn't want to do anything to make scheduling good and compelling OOC games more difficult. I mean, I guess it's just so easy for good teams from weaker leagues to do that now because so many coaches want to play those types of games, so why mess with it?
You miss the point Xboo, it is a moving target and you will never hit it.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2
15/15 would involve 6 total away or neutral games every year, I can live with that.
This year we had 5 and I suspect next year will be the same - which is probably as close as we'll get
Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

The important thing here is that the University administrators can rest easy, knowing the best minds on UD Pride are hard at work solving these scheduling problems . . .

6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (04-03-2015), CE80 (04-03-2015), Figgie123 (04-03-2015), San Diego Flyer (04-03-2015), springborofan (04-03-2015), The Gem (05-29-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
You miss the point Xboo, it is a moving target and you will never hit it.
Huh??

Let me start over. The majority of OOC games suck, and even the teams that want to play good OOC games are unable to do so because there are so few teams that really want to.

So, let's try and do something that facilitates having to at least play a few good OOC games.

If you took the top eighty teams (or whatever number you wanted to take), and created ten bracketed tournaments of eight teams each similar to early season exempt tournaments, then at least the good teams from outside the major conferences would get three good OOC games. Murray State, Iona, Wofford, Valpo, LA Tech and even Green Bay were all pretty solidly in anyone's top eighty, I think. Have ten #1 seeds, ten #2 seeds, and so on, and just create ten different tournaments.

Opportunities for teams like that to build their tournament resumes are a plus, but that's not even the biggest reason for doing it. More interesting games equals more people who are interested in the sport. In case you haven't noticed, interest in college basketball's regular season is rapidly declining. This would help, because it would generate more interesting games that many teams would otherwise not play because they feel they have "nothing to gain."

If not the selection committee, then who?? The NIT Committee?? What if we have the NCAA, NIT and CIT (screw the CBI) committees all submit rankings as to who the top eighty teams are, then do a cross country tally and have that determine the seeds??

I'm not defending the selection committee, but I do want to put pressure on them. You don't even seem to want to do that. If they're going to leave teams out for not winning big games despite them having so few opportunities to play in big games when big teams wouldn't play them, then here is a chance to create some big games. Now, they can't plausibly hold that against them quite so easily.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (04-03-2015), ruechalgrin (04-04-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IAFlyer View Post
Not if it means Georgia Tech...
To the anonymous poster who took this as an attack on the former coach. I would have included Boston College in this if that game was not part of the exempt tournament. G-Tech was our only ACC game that we scheduled.

From a scheduling strength perspective - we can't afford to schedule ACC, B1G, etc. bottom feeders - and G-Tech is an ACC bottom feeder - we need to schedule games that are going to boost our SOS and RPI.

The G-Tech game did neither.
Mad Props to IAFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:33 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute

If not the selection committee, then who??
A committee made up by 1 message board poster from each division 1 school that finishes with a above .500 record the previous year.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
A committee made up by 1 message board poster from each division 1 school that finishes with a above .500 record the previous year.
Okay, we'll do that. That may sound crazy, but hell. Fans pick the All Star team in baseball, and this would help assure that the match ups being created are the ones the fans want to see.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:30 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Probably, but Colorado State and Temple thought they were getting at-large bids too. Temple had an SOS of 60 - a lot of good that did them. They scheduled up but lost too many games. The same could happen to us. (Richmond had an SOS of 32 but also lost too many games.) Of course, you and I have both said we would be willing to have one more road/neutral game to make it 15/15. I just wouldn't want to go any further than that. The key is making sure the home-and-homes we get are good ones, which UD attempts to do every year. We had bad luck this year because the exempt tourney teams were weaker than last year and our A-10 POD was terrible. As you said, I just don't see any reason to make major changes to a scheduling philosophy that has worked simply because the committee members had their heads up their butts this year.
Yes, there is always downside risk with trying to toughen the schedule, but UD's SOS was in the 30's a couple of times under BG, just like Richmond this year, and UD did just fine in the OOC schedule those years, UD was done in by the A10 schedule those years, not the OOC schedule.

Dayton Flyers RPI History

Season Record RPI Rank SOS Rank
2009-2010 20-12 0.5769 54 0.5661 33. 8-8 A10 record
2007-2008 21-10 0.5906 32 0.5645 33. 8-8 A10 record

But look at the upside, if you schedule tougher and kick butt, you get a better rpi, a better seed, and a better chance of advancing in the tournament. Plus, no more sweating it out on Selection Sunday if you are comfortably in the field.

Colorado State's SOS at #111 was weak this year, worse than UD's, that is why they got snubbed.

I'm just not happy with the SOS, it is my opinion that the SOS nearly cost UD a bid this year, I'd like to see some changes to the scheduling philosophy at UD.

The committee is looking for any way to job you, they don't treat non p5 schools fairly. You can't give them any reasons to exclude you from the tournament.

Last edited by ud2; 04-04-2015 at 12:51 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (04-04-2015), ruechalgrin (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 12:55 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I can totally live with 15/15, as a matter of fact, I think I'm on your side regarding anything beyond 15/15, when you start playing more away/neutral than home, things do get a little tougher.

Yes, there is always downside risk with trying to toughen the schedule, but UD's SOS was in the 30's a couple of times under BG, just like Richmond this year, and UD did just fine in the OOC schedule those years, UD was done in by the A10 schedule those years, not the OOC schedule.

2009-2010 20-12 0.5769 54 0.5661 33
2007-2008 21-10 0.5906 32 0.5645 33

Colorado State's SOS at #111 was weak this year, worse than UD's, that is why they got snubbed.

I'm just not happy with the SOS, it is my opinion that the SOS nearly cost UD a bid this year, I'd like to see some changes to the scheduling philosophy at UD.
These two posts don't seem to be consistent, and they are replying to the same post. I can't tell if you would be happy with 15/15 or if you want to change the scheduling philosophy. It's like you went all the way around the barn and then came back to where you started. Also, you mention Colorado State's SOS (apparently because it was not good) but not Temple's (apparently because it was very good).
Old 04-04-2015, 01:31 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IAFlyer View Post
To the anonymous poster who took this as an attack on the former coach. I would have included Boston College in this if that game was not part of the exempt tournament. G-Tech was our only ACC game that we scheduled.

From a scheduling strength perspective - we can't afford to schedule ACC, B1G, etc. bottom feeders - and G-Tech is an ACC bottom feeder - we need to schedule games that are going to boost our SOS and RPI.

The G-Tech game did neither.
So I guess you are saying we should have turned down the opportunity to have a home-and-home with an ACC team. There was no way of knowing they would be as bad as they were - kind of similar to the SMU and USC series. They looked pretty good on paper but didn't turn out so well. Sometimes you just can't predict these things. (By the way, I am not the anonymous poster you refer to.)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (04-06-2015), UACFlyer (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 01:54 PM

ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like Cincinnati now has home and home with Xavier, VCU, San Diego State, and Butler -- I would love 4 OOC h/h like this. Arkansas is our 1 series like this and possibly Ole Miss.

P5 + BE tough to schedule, but plenty of other top 50/100 teams to schedule: San Diego State, Cincy, Witicha St., BYU, Gonzaga, Boise St., Uconn, SMU, N Iowa, SF Austin (1 buy-game), Temple, Bufalo, Old Dominion, Harvard, UNLV, etc.
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
So I guess you are saying we should have turned down the opportunity to have a home-and-home with an ACC team. There was no way of knowing they would be as bad as they were - kind of similar to the SMU and USC series. They looked pretty good on paper but didn't turn out so well. Sometimes you just can't predict these things. (By the way, I am not the anonymous poster you refer to.)
True, but I would not want to start it up again, knowing what we know. We really need to target the upper middle of the P5 or top-notch teams from other conferences. Northern Iowa comes to mind...
Old 04-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Major General

UNI will likely be at the bottom of their talent cycle next year. This was kind of their year in the sun, and it sucks they went out so early.

Evansville, on the other hand, may be next year's UNI.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 01:55 PM
General

Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
UNI will likely be at the bottom of their talent cycle next year. This was kind of their year in the sun, and it sucks they went out so early.

Evansville, on the other hand, may be next year's UNI.
I've seen rumors on other boards that Egidijus Mockevicius is out of there which would really set them back

http://www.indystar.com/story/butler...year/70502904/

I'm not sure how feasible it is but I'd fine with playing a one off game at the home court or a neutral site with a national power like a Duke, Kansas, Kentucky if there was good TV exposure.

Kansas I know plays an OOC game the Sprint Center in KC every year
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (04-06-2015), IAFlyer (04-06-2015), xubrew (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
This Year's POD Helped

There has been some bashing of our POD this year on this thread. As I have posted a few times this season, UD had the easiest POD in the entire A-10 (by a pretty good margin). Does anyone think that with our depleted roster we could have been anywhere near as successful if we had the hardest POD?

I re-crunched the numbers as of today:

Code:

2015-04-06
--------|----------------|---------------|
TEAM       Ave POD RPI     A-10 Standing
--------|----------------|---------------|
FOR            91.8              12
GM             96.2              12 
UR             99.2               4
DUQ           110.4              11
SLU           111.8              14
GW            115.0               6  
SBU           115.8               6
LAS           118.6               9
DAV           122.8               1 
SJU           123.4              10 
VCU           137.0               4
UM            142.8               6
URI           176.4               2
DAY           193.8               2  
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (04-14-2015), Flyer 86 (04-06-2015), ruechalgrin (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 02:30 PM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

2009-2010 20-12 0.5769 54 0.5661 33. 8-8 A10 record
2007-2008 21-10 0.5906 32 0.5645 33. 8-8 A10 record

But look at the upside, if you schedule tougher and kick butt, you get a better rpi, a better seed, and a better chance of advancing in the tournament. Plus, no more sweating it out on Selection Sunday if you are comfortably in the field.

The committee is looking for any way to job you, they don't treat non p5 schools fairly. You can't give them any reasons to exclude you from the tournament.
I wonder, what would our SOS / RPI have been if we didn't play our weakest home buy game this year, and instead went on the road for a true road game against a top 10 RPI team--and lost? How much would that have boosted us?
Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
How much would that have boosted us?
Boosted us in the RPI and SOS calculation?
Or in the 'eye test'?
Old 04-06-2015, 03:13 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
If you looked at the committee and what they did it seemed that playing the games against top 50/100 teams was as important as anything. You didn't need to even win many of them (Texas, etc) but you did need to play a lot of those games or it was a detriment.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-07-2015), ruechalgrin (04-06-2015), San Diego Flyer (04-06-2015), xubrew (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 05:48 PM
1st Lieutenant

Dillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Looks like Cincinnati now has home and home with Xavier, VCU, San Diego State, and Butler -- I would love 4 OOC h/h like this. Arkansas is our 1 series like this and possibly Ole Miss.

P5 + BE tough to schedule, but plenty of other top 50/100 teams to schedule: San Diego State, Cincy, Witicha St., BYU, Gonzaga, Boise St., Uconn, SMU, N Iowa, SF Austin (1 buy-game), Temple, Bufalo, Old Dominion, Harvard, UNLV, etc.
Being raised in a UC family, I can explain what they are doing and how their situation is very similar to UD's.

First, let me clarify a minor discrepancy that you mentioned that is inaccurate. UC does not have a home and home with SDSU. The Basketball game this past season was meant to be a make up for SDSU's football team bailing out of a football game months before it was supposed to happen at UC. This was SDSU's payment to UC for said action.

Now that I got that out of the way, what UC is trying to accomplish is to have one of the top OOC schedules in the country due to the AAC being a so so conference. As has been mentioned earlier, UC has a home and home with X for another 9 years, VCU, and Butler. To add to this, they have a double home and home with Michigan starting this upcoming year along with talks with Murray State home and home and another "quality opponent" along the way. Also, they are in A tournament with GW, Tennessee, and Nebraska, definitely not as strong as UD's tourney this year but better than single bid schools. Also, there when scheduling schools from single bid conferences, UC makes sure that they regularly compete for their respective conference so they don't get a school that bogs down their OOC schedule. This is especially emphasized this year because of next year's UC team is likely to be "special" with all 5 starters returning along with them only losing one player who only gave them a basket a game.

I think that this needs to be the philosophy UD needs to adopt when scheduling OOC because like UC, UD has a conference that is not fantastic in terms of providing a lot of resume building games for the tournament. Despite the selection committee being inconsistent this year in terms of seeding, one thing that was consistent was evaluating the amount of quality opponents that you played. If you don't have this in your scheduling, in order to get a top 4 seed, you will probably have to win almost every game with a schedule like Dayton's this year. I personally like the Exempt tournaments each year but if you lose the first game, you are lining yourself with lackluster opponents which is why UD needs to get on the ball with scheduling home and homes more often.

Sorry for the long wall of text.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Dillomernda For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-06-2015), Gazoo (04-07-2015), ruechalgrin (04-06-2015), ud2 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
If you looked at the committee and what they did it seemed that playing the games against top 50/100 teams was as important as anything. You didn't need to even win many of them (Texas, etc) but you did need to play a lot of those games or it was a detriment.
Unfortunatley, the committee has been pretty consistent last 5-10 years in over-valuing top 25 and 50 wins key and top 100 to a lesser extent. When you play 15 top 50 and 12 top 25 with half of the games at home, you will win at least 20% of the games basically just by showing up.

Texas is the poster child. 6-14 top 100; 3-12 top 50; and 2-10 top 25. Give Dayton 12 top 25 games with 6 at home and worst case 4-8. Give Dayton 15 top 50 games with half at home and worst case is 6-9. Xavier also ton of top 100 wins at 12-9; top 50 at 9-6; and top 25 at 4-5. Committee ignored Xavier's 5 BAD Loses and focused on 9 top 50 wins.

Committee will continue to overvalue top 25/50 wins so UD needs to schedule a lot more top 25/50 games. Much easier said than done OOC and this is where a weak A-10 kills UD.

Please UD demand (again realize easier said than done) a pod of VCU, Davidson, GW, Rhode Island, and Richmomd. Would guarantee 10 top 100 games and likely 6 top 50. Even a split of 5-5 top 100 and 3-3 top 5 (winning home and losing on the road) would pave the way for a NCAA bid.

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 04-06-2015 at 06:02 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (05-09-2015), Dillomernda (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'd love to know what thinking led to Dayton being put in a pod with Fordham and Duquesne
Old 04-06-2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I'd love to know what thinking led to Dayton being put in a pod with Fordham and Duquesne
Total guess -- Dayton has large # alum in New York, Pittsburgh, and Philly. St Louis "traditional rival" and no idea on St Bonnie's.

To maximize NCAA bids, A-10 may want to look at pods based upon predicted strength. Have-nots and near-misses would not like it.
Flyer 86 (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 06:36 PM
General

LaSalle and the Bonnies I could live with if say GW, VCU, Davidson, Richmond was swapped in for Fordham/

The A10 is basically burying Fordham and hurting us
Old 04-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,532 Times in 780 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
So, what it the mindset for scheduling OOC games for next season? I am going under the assumption that VCU and Davidson will not be as good next year, and we will be the preseason favorite to win the A10.
Do we try to play more higher RPI away games and risk the chance of losses -or- do we schedule as we have in the past, assuming in both cases that we think we can win the A10 next year and get the automatic berth? I know that nothing is guaranteed, but do we take a calculated risk and schedule tougher away games that may not be home and home?
Old 04-07-2015, 05:40 PM

Thanked 10,168 Times in 5,896 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
So, what it the mindset for scheduling OOC games for next season? I am going under the assumption that VCU and Davidson will not be as good next year, and we will be the preseason favorite to win the A10.
Do we try to play more higher RPI away games and risk the chance of losses -or- do we schedule as we have in the past, assuming in both cases that we think we can win the A10 next year and get the automatic berth? I know that nothing is guaranteed, but do we take a calculated risk and schedule tougher away games that may not be home and home?
Davidson will be loaded next year, and VCU has several good players back. Of course VCU may lose some recruits, and who knows how the new coach will work out.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dillomernda View Post
Being raised in a UC family, I can explain what they are doing and how their situation is very similar to UD's.
Too bad they won't give UD a home-and-home.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Return game from Arkansas will be on Wednesday December 30.
Posted via Mobile Device
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (04-14-2015), Figgie123 (04-14-2015), Flyer 86 (04-14-2015), flyerfanatic86 (04-14-2015), Iguomaniac (04-14-2015), ruechalgrin (04-15-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,588 Times in 3,713 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe the A-10 office was being sympathetic to our Flyers and tired of hearing complaints on Udpride about how we had been in the toughest pod with X & St. Louis in previous seasons.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (04-14-2015), bhflyer5 (04-14-2015), Figgie123 (04-14-2015), Flyer 86 (04-14-2015), Garson (04-14-2015), redbengal (04-14-2015), rollo (04-14-2015), ud2 (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Captain

flyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
Return game from Arkansas will be on Wednesday December 30.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wonder if Arkansas requested this date since the Red Scare will be on Christmas break?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM

Thanked 15,913 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyhi524 View Post
I wonder if Arkansas requested this date since the Red Scare will be on Christmas break?
As Chris R has documented, the Red Scare doesn't intimidate anyone.

Pollard, yes! Red Scare...
bhflyer5 (04-14-2015), College B-Ball Fan (04-14-2015), IAFlyer (05-19-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
We've been in a pod with Duquesne for a while. They think that we are geographic rivals. Which I guess we are, but there is zero heat to this rivalry. None.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Major

BOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really nice
It was a rivalry in the old days. Going on memory here- Back in 65/66 there was a scuffle under the basket in a Duke/Flyers game in Pittsburgh. I think that the teams didn't play the next year to have a "cooling off period".
Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
We've been in a pod with Duquesne for a while. They think that we are geographic rivals. Which I guess we are, but there is zero heat to this rivalry. None.

What's unfortunate is that UD doesn't really have a conference rival. The closest might be St. Louis, but even then there just isn't the same juice as when UD played X. When your "geographic rivals" are 4 & 6 hours away, it just doesn't make from compelling rivals.

That being said, I don't want anyone to think I'm advocating for the A-10 to try and get *groan* Miami or *double groan* Wright State.
Mad Props to Widget For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Better chance that the seats will be filled.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (04-14-2015), Fudd (04-14-2015), rollo (04-14-2015), UD62 (04-14-2015), ud69 (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,430 Times in 680 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
As Chris R has documented, the Red Scare doesn't intimidate anyone.

Pollard, yes! Red Scare...
The Arena was pretty juiced with Red Scare gone for Boise. More seats for the diehards to be close.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
While I don't think it has much if anything to do with an Arkansas request, it seems more than coincidental that the host game of our last Home and Home with Ol' Miss, Ga Tech, USC and Seton Hall were all over break.

There could be a variety of reasons: Travel Schedule, Front loading lower level conferences for earlier wins, Prep for Conference, Financially advantageous (attendance), Opponent request (as you suggested). Probably more.

It would be interesting to hear the actual reason.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Arkansas center Bobby Portis anannounced he is going to the NBA today. Strength of schedule already taking a hit. He'll be difficult to replace.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Arkansas center Bobby Portis anannounced he is going to the NBA today. Strength of schedule already taking a hit. He'll be difficult to replace.
Smart move by him, projected mid first rounder, get the guaranteed first round contract.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

Last edited by ud2; 04-14-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
While I don't think it has much if anything to do with an Arkansas request, it seems more than coincidental that the host game of our last Home and Home with Ol' Miss, Ga Tech, USC and Seton Hall were all over break.

There could be a variety of reasons: Travel Schedule, Front loading lower level conferences for earlier wins, Prep for Conference, Financially advantageous (attendance), Opponent request (as you suggested). Probably more.

It would be interesting to hear the actual reason.
They want to play their home games when the students are there.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:16 PM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Portis was a heck of challenge for us, but the Hogs will still be tough. They have a good thing going there right now.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Portis was a heck of challenge for us, but the Hogs will still be tough. They have a good thing going there right now.
Little do they know that grits up here are made from hog meat. Sooie sooie sooie.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Maybe the A-10 office was being sympathetic to our Flyers and tired of hearing complaints on Udpride about how we had been in the toughest pod with X & St. Louis in previous seasons.
I feel like this quote was targeted at me. In good years or bad, PODs will always suck to me.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,588 Times in 3,713 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SC_Flyer View Post
I feel like this quote was targeted at me. In good years or bad, PODs will always suck to me.
It was targeted at no one, unless of course the shoe fits

Was just trying to lighten the mood and joke a bit.

I agree 100% pods suck. I would much rather see a two division type set up if we ever had the right number of A-10 teams to do such a thing.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:46 PM
General

I think PODS are fine so long as the A10 actually takes competitiveness into setting them up. One fixed rival like St. Louis is fine but it's criminal that we played Fordham twice.

Arkansas I think is gonna take a step back next. They don't bring in any big time recruits and in addition to Portis, Rashad Madden who was their 3rd leading scorer and lead the team in assists is gone along with Alandise Harris.

There's a write up from an Arkansas paper about the Hawgs heading into next year

http://www.uatrav.com/sports/article...0cf2196e3.html
Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I agree 100% pods suck. I would much rather see a two division type set up if we ever had the right number of A-10 teams to do such a thing.
Divisions are really no different than PODs. In the division setup you play everyone in your division twice (your "POD"), and everyone in the other division once. You would still have a weak "POD" if your division is weak. The only difference with divisions is that your "POD" could/would not change from year to year. If you are in a weak division you would always have a weak "POD." PODs are actually better if set up properly because they can be adjusted for the strength of teams from year to year.

Last edited by longtimefan; 04-15-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Old 04-15-2015, 04:05 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Divisions are really no different than PODs. In the division setup you play everyone in your division twice (your "POD"), and everyone in the other division once. You would still have a weak "POD" if your division is weak. The only difference with divisions is that your "POD" could/would not change from year to year. If you are in a weak division you would always have a weak "POD." PODs are actually better if set up properly because they can be adjusted for the strength of teams from year to year.
Also have an imbalance with the teams you only play once - where do you play them? Home or away?

The 10 team conference playing all teams home and away is the best.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Arkansas I think is gonna take a step back next. They don't bring in any big time recruits and in addition to Portis, Rashad Madden who was their 3rd leading scorer and lead the team in assists is gone along with Alandise Harris.

There's a write up from an Arkansas paper about the Hawgs heading into next year

http://www.uatrav.com/sports/article...0cf2196e3.html
UPDATE: Arkansas will be losing it's three top scorers as Michael Qualls is also forgoing his senior season to turn pro. They're going to struggle.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM

Thanked 3,157 Times in 800 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
If we did divisions, played our fellow division twice and the other division once, we would be up to 19 games in conference. Not sure I like 18 let alone more.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:24 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
UPDATE: Arkansas will be losing it's three top scorers as Michael Qualls is also forgoing his senior season to turn pro. They're going to struggle.
That changes everything with the Hogs. Did not see that coming.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-09-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,772 Times in 935 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Updated:

Orlando Classic (Iowa, ND, Wichita St., X, Alabama, Monmouth, Southern Cal)
Orlando Classic
Orlando Classic
Miami (OH)
Arkansas
@Vanderbilt

6 of 13 possible OOC games.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:37 PM
General

I really hope we pick up two more road games in OOC play
Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 AM

I really hope we pick up two more road games in OOC play
They played 30 games last year:

16 home-9 league, 5 buy games, 2 tougher OOC games(GT and Ole Miss)

14 away/neutral-9 league, 3 neutral, 2 away(Arkansas and Miami)

Right now:

Home: 9 league, Miami, Arkansas, assume 5 buy games, 16 games

Away/neutral: 9 league, Vanderbilt, 3 in Orlando, 13 games

That's 29 games, 1 or 2 spots left.

You can play up to 31 games if you squeeze in an extra game, a 4th game, as part of Orlando, that 4th game is optional.

Assuming they do the same thing as last year, which they unfortunately probably will do, they will play 5 buy games, I am hoping for 2 or 3 more away/or tougher home games.

16 home/15 away or an even 15/15 split is what I want.

Having an even 15/15 split every other year would even be an improvement over the current setup IMO.

Every other year, if they did 15/15 every other year, it would be 16 home/14 away, like I think they usually do.

Having an even 15/15 split every year would be ideal IMO.

I want around 8 total tough home/away/neutral games every year. Right now they are at 6, I'm including Miami in that total since it is a home and home series. No more than 4 buy games.

9 tough home/away/neutral games with no more than 3 buy games might be better IMO. Maybe 4 buy games if they play 31 games instead of 30.

I'm not exactly sure about the 8/4 or 9/3 thing. Ever since they went to 18 league games last year, that has changed the dynamic.

Experiment with doing 8/4 or 9/3 and see if that toughens the SOS enough. At least try to do 8/4 this year. They did 7/5 last year.

Last edited by ud2; 05-08-2015 at 05:07 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-09-2015), San Diego Flyer (05-09-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone remember the website where you could see the schools advertising for Buy games and Home and Home series? It was linked in threads on here from time to time in the past.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
Does anyone remember the website where you could see the schools advertising for Buy games and Home and Home series? It was linked in threads on here from time to time in the past.
The site is called Basketball Travelers. It used to be open to the public, but now you need an account linked to a .edu email address to see the postings.
Mad Props to Iguomaniac For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 PM

Cincy with home and home versus Iowa State. I respect Cincy, but don't understand how they keep getting these great home and home series.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ens-basketball
Flyer 86 (05-09-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Iguomaniac View Post
The site is called Basketball Travelers. It used to be open to the public, but now you need an account linked to a .edu email address to see the postings.
I checked it out, they have 5 dates, 4 in November and 1 in December, where they are looking for buy games. That ad is from last week.

They also have an ad from the end of March looking for at least two home and home series, they are open to starting at home or on the road, and they are looking for a BCS opponent or a consistent top 75 rpi opponent.

I assume Vandy fills one of those openings, I hope they get the other opening filled, and I hope they are open to trying to land a third home and home series to get the OOC schedule to be 4 buy games and 8 non-buy games. Right now they have 6 non-buy games scheduled with 6 or 7 games(depending on if they play 30 or 31 games)still available.

3 in Orlando, Miami, Arkansas, and at Vandy. 6 or 7 games available. 12 or 13 OOC games along with 18 conference games, for 30 or 31 total games.

Last edited by ud2; 05-08-2015 at 07:14 PM..
Old 05-09-2015, 09:51 AM
General

from Jon Rothstein

5. Scheduling is the most underrated part of any college basketball program.

Recruiting is and always will be the most important facet for any college basketball coach that wants to be successful. But scheduling isn't too far behind. Having the right nonconference slate is paramount for teams that aren't bluebloods, but yearn to play in the NCAA Tournament. Scheduling the right mid-major in a guarantee game so it helps your overall RPI and strength of schedule can be the difference in whether your program hears its name called on Selection Sunday. This area of running a program has become a science in some ways and it's only become more important with realignment. Programs in the American, Atlantic 10, and the Big East aren't getting the same types of quality opportunities in league play as programs that play in a power-five conference and that's made their nonconference slate beyond vital. There are coaches all over America right now scrambling to put together a quality schedule. If they don't, it could be the difference between whether he eventually gets a contract extension.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...rom-cal-oregon
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (05-30-2015), Dillomernda (05-11-2015), San Diego Flyer (05-09-2015), ud2 (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Archie really shined in close-game management

In that same article Rothstein gave us this as well:

•Georgia Tech's Brian Gregory is entering a critical year following a 12-19 season, but the Yellow Jackets may not be as far off as people think. This team lost 13 games last season in ACC play by seven points or fewer, including four games by a single point. Georgia Tech returns everyone of significance aside from big man Demarco Cox while adding two key rotation players in a pair of transfers -- Nick Jacobs (Alabama) and Adam Smith (Virginia Tech).

-------------------------------------------

Wins in close games are just as critical for Arch and UD. Someone posted that in games of 4 points or less we were 9-3. A lot of that success was Archie. Our schedule does not allow too many whiffs in ooc, and especially buy games.

But if you look back at Dayton's 09/10 season we lost 10 games of 4 points or less. Gregory had a lot to do with that. Thinking Georgia Tech can reverse their close game track record just might be fools gold. Brian had some strengths, but close game management was not one of them.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Cincy with home and home versus Iowa State. I respect Cincy, but don't understand how they keep getting these great home and home series.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ens-basketball
There is a lot that goes into scheduling a home and home game. Before the game is formally agreed on, TV coverage is agreed on. If ESPN can't commit to picking up the game, the deal can fall through.

One major problem we have is that a Dayton - Iowa State matchup is less likely to be picked up by ESPN than a Cincinnati - Iowa State game. ESPN wants viewers when it comes time for conference play -- so it is more likely to pick up these non-conference matchups as well if it carries the conference games. Hopefully our recent NCAA success will start changing this dynamic.

Last edited by bigred; 05-09-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Old 05-09-2015, 01:20 PM

Wins in close games are just as critical for Arch and UD. Someone posted that in games of 4 points or less we were 9-3. A lot of that success was Archie. Our schedule does not allow too many whiffs in ooc, and especially buy games.

But if you look back at Dayton's 09/10 season we lost 10 games of 4 points or less. Gregory had a lot to do with that. Thinking Georgia Tech can reverse their close game track record just might be fools gold. Brian had some strengths, but close game management was not one of them.
BG was 8-1 in games decided by 4 points or fewer in 08-09, and 11-1 in games decided by 5 points or fewer.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:54 PM

I can buy that many BCS schools simply won't play UD in a home and home series, so I am very sympathetic to UD's plight.

Here's a list of non-BCS teams that have been rpi Top 75 or better for at least four out of the last five years, I didn't include Big East teams, I'm pretty sure that they won't play UD, and I didn't include A10 teams:

Belmont
BYU
Cincinnati
Colorado State
Connecticut
Gonzaga
Harvard
Iona
Memphis
New Mexico
San Diego State
Southern Mississippi-NCAA violations under Coach Donnie Tyndall?
St. Mary's
Temple
UNLV
Valparaiso-made an exception for them since they were very close to being Top 75 or better for 4 out of the last 5 years. Last 5 Valpo rpi's: 67, 184, 58, 95, 71
Wichita State

Expanding the list out to Top 75 or better at least 3 out of the last 5 years:

Akron
Boise State
New Mexico State
Northern Iowa
Stephen F. Austin

Tulsa-made an exception, real close to meeting the criteria
UTEP-made an exception, real close to meeting the criteria

Last edited by ud2; 05-09-2015 at 02:55 PM..
Old 05-09-2015, 01:57 PM

Gregory couldn't carry Archies lunch sack when it comes to end of game management.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-09-2015), Flyer 86 (05-11-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
I can buy that many BCS schools simply won't play UD in a home and home series, so I am very sympathetic to UD's plight.

Here's a list of non-BCS teams that have been rpi Top 75 or better for at least four out of the last five years, I didn't include Big East teams, I'm pretty sure that they won't play UD, and I didn't include A10 teams:

Belmont
BYU
Cincinnati
Colorado State
Connecticut
Gonzaga
Harvard
Iona
Memphis
New Mexico
San Diego State
St. Mary's
Temple
UNLV
Valparaiso-made an exception for them since they were very close to being Top 75 or better for 4 out of the last 5 years. Last 5 Valpo rpi's: 67, 184, 58, 95, 71
Wichita State

Akron
Boise State
New Mexico State
Northern Iowa
Stephen F. Austin

Interesting. Of those schools listed, I would think the below schools would be interesting and realistic home/home:

BYU
Colorado State
Memphis
New Mexico
San Diego State
St. Mary's
Temple
UNLV
Boise State
Northern Iowa
Tulsa
UTEP

These are schools I would love to see UD target for a home/home.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (05-09-2015), UDGutter2 (05-10-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 03:17 PM
General of the Air Force

Belmont
BYU
Cincinnati
Colorado State
Connecticut
Gonzaga
Harvard
Iona
Memphis
New Mexico
San Diego State
St. Mary's
Temple
UNLV
Wichita State

Akron
Boise State
New Mexico State
Northern Iowa
Stephen F. Austin

To me that list is not that long.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I wish we could renew that series with Murray State.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
More than half of the committee come from outside the Power Five, and even if you don't trust them it can't be any harder for those teams to get good games on equal terms that what it already is.
I'm sure that the power five conferences would like to eliminate everyone else from the ncaa tournament so they would make more money. I seriously wonder if these guys realize that the ncaa tournament is so popular because so many fans love watching upstarts beat the 'big name' teams. They probably think everyone tunes in to watch the power five teams win, LOL
Old 05-10-2015, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
To me that list is not that long.
Posted via Mobile Device
I may have missed a few teams, but I think I got almost all of them...UD wouldn't make the cut for the first list, UD has only been Top 75 or better 3 out of the last 5 years...there was a 5 year stretch, 4 under OP and 1 under BG, of being 75 or better...BG also had a 5 year stretch of being 75 or better.

This is a real good run right now though, hope next year is a three-peat...UD hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament three years in a row since the mid to late 60's...UD hadn't won NCAA tourney games in back to back years, before this year and last year, since the mid to late 60's.

Last edited by ud2; 05-10-2015 at 12:46 AM..
Old 05-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
I wish we could renew that series with Murray State.
I wouldn't complain about that, but I do have my doubts that Prohm will still be the head coach in 2 years. He has been a pretty hot name as the carousel has turned.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
BG was 8-1 in games decided by 4 points or fewer in 08-09, and 11-1 in games decided by 5 points or fewer.
I don't think it counts in your favor if you blow leads and mismanage a game into a 4 point victory that should have been a 10 point win. Weave 30 seconds, bad shot. Weave 30 seconds, bad shot. Cross your fingers that we make the FTs. . . victory.

Maybe it's just perception but under BG those wins always seemed to leave me asking "how did we only win by 4?!" Under AM I am often left thinking "how did AM ever figure out a way to beat that team?!"

We should not be left with that feeling from this year forward now that AM has his feet under him and his players established.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-11-2015), m21eagle45 (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 08:57 AM

I wouldn't complain about that, but I do have my doubts that Prohm will still be the head coach in 2 years. He has been a pretty hot name as the carousel has turned.
I wouldn't complain either, so long as the number of buy games is reduced.

Add Louisiana Tech to the above list of teams that have been Top 75 at least 3 out of the last 5 years, LT might be in for some rough waters with White gone now though.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:28 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
In that same article Rothstein gave us this as well:

•Georgia Tech's Brian Gregory is entering a critical year following a 12-19 season, but the Yellow Jackets may not be as far off as people think. This team lost 13 games last season in ACC play by seven points or fewer, including four games by a single point. Georgia Tech returns everyone of significance aside from big man Demarco Cox while adding two key rotation players in a pair of transfers -- Nick Jacobs (Alabama) and Adam Smith (Virginia Tech).

-------------------------------------------

Gregory couldn't carry Archies lunch sack when it comes to end of game management.
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I don't think it counts in your favor if you blow leads and mismanage a game into a 4 point victory that should have been a 10 point win. Weave 30 seconds, bad shot. Weave 30 seconds, bad shot. Cross your fingers that we make the FTs. . . victory.

Maybe it's just perception but under BG those wins always seemed to leave me asking "how did we only win by 4?!" Under AM I am often left thinking "how did AM ever figure out a way to beat that team?!"

We should not be left with that feeling from this year forward now that AM has his feet under him and his players established.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (05-13-2015), hawkoooo (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Major General

Maybe Dayton can get a game against someone (hopefully Wright State) in Shanghai?

http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com/...hanghai-china/
Old 05-13-2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
My apologies. Guilty as charged.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (05-18-2015), Glen Clark (05-14-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 05:20 PM
General

Write up from CollegeBasketballTalk next year on the SEC & a Vandy mention. They have them 2nd in the SEC behind Kentucky. Arkansas is 11th

2. Vanderbilt: The nation will get a chance to see how good Damian Jones and Riley LaChance are as Kevin Stallings adds another solid recruiting class.

PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE PREDICTIONS
Damian Jones, Vanderbilt (Player of the Year)
Old 05-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Write up from CollegeBasketballTalk next year on the SEC & a Vandy mention. They have them 2nd in the SEC behind Kentucky. Arkansas is 11th
Great find!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,114 Times in 2,611 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein

Dayton will host Chattanooga on Saturday 12/12/15 as part of its non-conference schedule, source told @CBSSports.

Will Wade's, new VCU Coach, former team... Billy Donovan's FL asst Matt McCall has taken over... Solid OOC game
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (05-28-2015), shapanud (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,430 Times in 680 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein

Dayton will host Chattanooga on Saturday 12/12/15 as part of its non-conference schedule, source told @CBSSports.

Will Wade's, new VCU Coach, former team... Billy Donovan's FL asst Matt McCall has taken over... Solid OOC game
Seems like a very solid buy game.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
Seems like a very solid buy game.
Agreed. Mocs completed 2014-15 with a 22-10 record, 15-3 in the Southern Conference. The squad returns four starters and five reserves with 78.4 percent of its scoring and 85.5 percent of the rebounding back in 2015-16.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Brigadier General

Updated (not chronological):

Orlando Classic (Iowa, ND, Wichita St., X, Alabama, Monmouth, Southern Cal)
Orlando Classic
Orlando Classic
Miami (OH)
Arkansas
@Vanderbilt
Chattanooga

7 of 13 possible OOC games.

Mocs finished with an RPI just outside the top-100.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-28-2015), flyer016 (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up Good job Tim!

Both the RI h-n-home A10 games and the Chatt addition to the schedule speaks volumes for our AD working the SOS issue.

I know what you're thinking. Now we have to win those games. Yup, that's what it's all about.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:08 PM
General

I know what you're thinking. Now we have to win those games. Yup, that's what it's all about.
The way I look at it: if you don't win 'em, you weren't that good. When you have a good team, you would rather have a chance to prove you belong. I think we have a good team.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:59 PM

We'll see...hopefully last year was not an aberration...last year was the second time since 1994 that they have been sub 100 in the rpi.

Will Wade was the coach there last year and the year before.

Chattanooga Mocs RPI History

2014-2015 20-9 0.5361 99 0.4763 220
2013-2014 15-14 0.4606 243 0.4295 329
2012-2013 11-19 0.4255 292 0.4540 288
2011-2012 8-21 0.4041 310 0.4680 239
2010-2011 14-16 0.4811 199 0.4821 198
2009-2010 13-18 0.4551 238 0.4750 222
2008-2009 16-16 0.4933 174 0.4886 177
2007-2008 16-13 0.5151 146 0.5079 136
2006-2007 12-18 0.4637 219 0.4887 177
2005-2006 15-13 0.4927 169 0.4764 209
2004-2005 17-10 0.5150 135 0.4691 226
2003-2004 16-11 0.5168 122 0.4915 168
2002-2003 19-9 0.5284 108 0.4783 211
2001-2002 14-14 0.5144 121 0.5192 109
2000-2001 15-13 0.5005 149 0.4888 166
1999-2000 9-18 0.4459 242 0.4834 181
1998-1999 14-12 0.5003 142 0.4875 156
1997-1998 10-14 0.4582 208 0.4721 202
1996-1997 18-10 0.5056 131 0.4598 236
1995-1996 13-12 0.4613 208 0.4417 276
1994-1995 17-10 0.4957 149 0.4510 249
1993-1994 21-6 0.5677 51 0.4977 134
© 1994-2011 by Palm Sports Resources, Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited by ud2; 05-28-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Old 05-28-2015, 04:41 PM
2nd Lieutenant

The Worker has a spectacular aura aboutThe Worker has a spectacular aura aboutThe Worker has a spectacular aura about
Here's a SoCon preview from April. Looks like the Mocs will be about as good as last season. I don't know if they lost any recent transfers or recruits due to the coaching change though.

http://basketballpredictions.blogspo...s_1.html#SoCon
Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 AM

Didn't Chattanooga beat us about 25 years ago?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:56 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
More like 40 years ago.

2/7/76 - Chattanooga 65, Flyers 63

(Flyers won the last 2 in the set in '77 and '78. 29 pt victory in '78. Flyers are 8-2 since the 49-50 season against Chattanooga.)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (05-29-2015), jack72 (05-29-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Chattanooga. THESE are the kind of "buy" games we need. Well done Timmy W.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (05-30-2015), Flyer 86 (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
It is easy to get those directional Tennessee schools confused and mixed up. My first thought was to the 2002 NIT where we lost to Tennessee Tech. Not one of our more memorable performances.
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-03-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 03:45 PM

Thumbs up We have progressed since Tenn Tech

When I think of Tennessee, I think of the Memphis Regional. Sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs along the way.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:41 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Field of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of light
Sort of a random question, but here goes:

Could UD and another top A-10 school (not part of their pod) choose to play each other a second time during the season? It would not count in the conference standings but would obviously help strength of schedule for both teams. As an example, UD could schedule a two-year deal with VCU--playing the non-conference game at the location opposite to the conference game.

Seems like an easy way to help two schools constantly saying they can't schedule quality home/home series.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Field of 64 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (06-03-2015), hawkoooo (06-04-2015), jack72 (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 02:52 PM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Good question, Butler & X decided to maintain their OOC, previously scheduled game the year Butler was in the A10; game didn't count in the standings. Now, that game was agreed to prior to Butler's inclusion, so if there is a by-law in the conference offices against that, it could have been waived due to the circumstances.

With that said, I'm guessing the A10 would frown upon such an arrangement. If both schools really, really wanted to play each other, I'm sure they could raise a big enough stink to make it happen in conference play. The reason I'm guessing it doesn't is because the TV rights would then go to the home school vs the conference and the A10 would see less money. Truthfully, in the grand scheme, its probably not a lot of TV money, but it would look like a chicken salad maneuver and a big ol' "up yours" to the A10.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Field of 64 (06-04-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Field of 64 View Post
Sort of a random question, but here goes:

Could UD and another top A-10 school (not part of their pod) choose to play each other a second time during the season? It would not count in the conference standings but would obviously help strength of schedule for both teams. As an example, UD could schedule a two-year deal with VCU--playing the non-conference game at the location opposite to the conference game.

Seems like an easy way to help two schools constantly saying they can't schedule quality home/home series.
Not sure about the Atlantic Ten, but it is fairly common in non-revenue sports for rival schools who only play one conference game to play a second OOC game. Indiana and Purdue did this one year in basketball when the Big Ten only had them slated to play once. There's no NCAA rule against it, but there may be a conference rule against it.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Field of 64 (06-04-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Brigadier General

THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Sadly for him, Qualls tore his ACL in his first pro workout with the Suns. That stinks. He probably should not have left early and now has no chance of getting drafted. Good luck to him during his recovery.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
Sadly for him, Qualls tore his ACL in his first pro workout with the Suns. That stinks. He probably should not have left early and now has no chance of getting drafted. Good luck to him during his recovery.
Posted via Mobile Device
That ain't fair! Tough break for the kid! I hope he heals well and makes some money next year somewhere.

Last edited by College B-Ball Fan; 06-15-2015 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
THirt (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
That ain't fair! Tough break for the kid! I hope he heals well and makes some money next year somewhere.
Agreed. He was an exciting guy to watch. Good luck to him.

In actual scheduling news, saw a tweet that the North Florida Ospreys would be returning to UD Arena for a game this year. Didn't see any date announced yet.
Posted via Mobile Device