Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Major

Donniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant future
This year not so much..Next year high

Just my opinion. This year, back and forth, win some, lose some. I hope I'm wrong. Next year, with the transfers and recruits, we could be a force again.
What do you think?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Donniex3Era For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (11-02-2018), ruechalgrin (11-01-2018)
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2018, 11:45 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If not us, who?
If not now, when?
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
chicago92 (11-02-2018), Flyer69ers (11-02-2018), Larymike (11-02-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Donniex3Era View Post
Just my opinion. This year, back and forth, win some, lose some. I hope I'm wrong. Next year, with the transfers and recruits, we could be a force again.
What do you think?
It's also about learning to close out games better. UD as young and as inexperienced as they were a year ago were in plenty of games with 4-5 minutes left. Gotta be able to take those games down to a couple minutes left and see what happens. Better players this year,more experience and more size should answer a few of those games...
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Defense.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-02-2018), Flyer 86 (11-02-2018), Viperstick (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Like a typical season, we will win some we shouldn't have and drop a few that we were god-awful looking, which we should have won handily ....
Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 AM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
Last years team was inexperienced,undersized and had no bench. Those problem areas appear to be addressed. If Toppin is the real deal and Mikesell is healthy, I expect a dramatic turnaround. Last year I hoped for a break even season and this year I'm hoping for 20 plus wins but each year stands alone. It appears we have 9 players who can play at this level. I'm excited to see how this all works out.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We will surprise and I predict a top four finish in the A10 and a post season berth (NIT or NCAA).
Old 11-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Excluding hour buy games, Games I’m interested in winning,
Butler, Richmond, at George Washington, both games against UMass and Duquesne. I would love to see us splitting with VCU, Rhode Island, and beat Saint Joe’s at home. I have no expectations of beating Virginia if we face them and Auburn. Overall, I’m seeing about 22 wins, 13 of them coming in conference. If we do that, let’s go surprised people in the Atlantic 10 tournament and go from there!
Go Flyers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
This season will be an improvement. They will build and year 3 is where I think everything gets back to "normal" or what the expectation is that UD should contend for conference titles every single year.

The biggest thing that needs to happen this year is leadership and being able to win close games. Yes, there will be games they win and lose that they aren't supposed to. Winning the games they are supposed to on the road will be key.

The talent is there, but the development and game maturity may not be there yet with the younger guys. That will result in highs and lows that come with newer guys.

I am excited for the season to start and think they are legitimately on their way to some good things this year, but definitely next. It is a marathon, not a sprint...if you want to do things the right way it doesn't happen overnight.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-02-2018), Fairborn Fan (11-02-2018), Flyer 86 (11-02-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Last year I predicted about a .500 year

This year we have 31 regular season games, I think we go 18-13 or 19-12

Next year I expect to be 22+ wins. I hope I am wrong and am pleasantly surprised with a 20+ year with a postseason berth, but I think we need another year. We have the players buying in now, but I still expect some growing pains with so much turnover.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TheDuke2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-02-2018), jack72 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 AM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
This season will be an improvement. They will build and year 3 is where I think everything gets back to "normal" or what the expectation is that UD should contend for conference titles every single year.

The biggest thing that needs to happen this year is leadership and being able to win close games. Yes, there will be games they win and lose that they aren't supposed to. Winning the games they are supposed to on the road will be key.

The talent is there, but the development and game maturity may not be there yet with the younger guys. That will result in highs and lows that come with newer guys.

I am excited for the season to start and think they are legitimately on their way to some good things this year, but definitely next. It is a marathon, not a sprint...if you want to do things the right way it doesn't happen overnight.
Landers seems like a locker room and on court Leader. Not sure how much of an on court leader Josh is. Can someone in the know comment on that?

In my opinion we need guys like Ryan and Obi to step up in the leadership department.

Should be interesting season. Let's see how these guys develop and if they can close out games!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
How the heck are we going to make any predictions at this point? Approximately half the team will be officially suiting up for the first time, and we're left with the hype surrounding them. That's it.

Ask again in about a month.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post
How the heck are we going to make any predictions at this point? Approximately half the team will be officially suiting up for the first time, and we're left with the hype surrounding them. That's it.

Ask again in about a month.
That's why a prediction is called a prediction. If we wait it will be fact. Plus that's what people on message boards do.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I for one think we will be much improved:

Jalen and Jordan are no longer freshman. Landers also has an actual year of PT under his belt. Every player from last year that is returning is a year older.

Matos, Mikesell, Toppin, Policelli, Cohill >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Darrell, Pierce, Matej, Kostas

Baby D is one of my favorite Flyers ever, but his statistical explosion last year was born out of necessity. There simply was no one else to score most of the time. And as the season wore on his effectiveness waned. While his production will be missed, we should be a lot more balanced. We had no one to really back up Baby D or Cunningham last year. That will be different this year with Cohill and Toppin available.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
That's why a prediction is called a prediction. If we wait it will be fact. Plus that's what people on message boards do.
People also troll on message boards.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
This year pretty good. Next two years, top 25.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
The good news is we return 4 starters.

The questionable part is these guys had a losing record last year.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Good point regarding the 4 starters. The only thing this team has proven is that they have a poor record with these 4 starters. If the team defense had been solid, I would have much greater optimism. I would call last year's defense as a atrocious and the worst of any UD team in over 40 years. How do you go from awful to exceptional on defense?

If the same starters are starting at the beginning of this season, I expect a 500 record. If only 2 remain (Crutcher and Cunningham) then I will be ecstatic...meaning the new players are judged to be superior to last year's starters.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
It wasn't a starters problem last year. It was that when they had to go out, or couldn't play at 100%, we were atrocious. Matej gave us nothing, Pierce was a bust, Kostas was a head case who flashed some talent, Crosby was never good, and X obviously had issues with AG.

I think Davis, Crutcher, Cunningham, and Landers are as good a 4-man group as any in the league IF Davis can find his scoring touch this year. Defense also MUST improve as many have already said.

Next year, we should be back at the top. Very excited about Watson and Tshimanga and having a legit backup PG.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I think Jordan Davis will be much better this year as he acclimates to the college game. He really faded late in games and later in the season. I expect some excitement.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
This!

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Matos, Mikesell, Toppin, Policelli, Cohill >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Darrell, Pierce, Matej, Kostas
Old 11-02-2018, 04:58 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
A few things.... I think this team will be much better offensively and defensively this year... Health is my only concern, must stay healthy.

Show me plenty of improvement and possibly 20+ wins and I'll be so happy!

Then Let's Roll with a full roster in 19-20 and compete for an NCAA Bid

Just enjoy the ride... There will be ups and downs this year but I expect less downs than last year.
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
John C. (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
In that case, I'll totally spitball that we'll be slightly above .500 this year. We will surprise a team or two, but we'll drop a higher number that we should have won due to youth.

The brightest thing that seems to have happened is that the "attitude problems" from last year seem to be gone, and all reports point to this team having great chemistry. That, in and of itself, can win some games (as we saw on the other end last year as an abrasive team).

It seems we have some good talent in our young kids, but the reality is that freshmen are seldom able to change the game a whole lot. For each one that really does, there are a handful that basically tanked year one - even if they eventually grow into solid players.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Al View Post
This!
Really it should only be Davis, Svoboda and Kostas on that side of the equation because Pierce never played.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Defense.
No,

DEFENSE!