User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Serious Question

Why does a HS prospect who will not get a scholarship still enroll in a non scholarship school forking out up 30k a year.

I get they like the sport and there are a lot of things I'd love to do but not sure I'd fork out a hundred grand or more to do it.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 05-15-2018 at 03:25 PM..
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A litt;e confusing

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Why does a HS prospect who will not get a scholarship still enroll in a non scholarship school forking out up 30k a year.

I get they like the sport and there are a lot of things I'd love to do but not sure I'd fork out a hundred grand or more to do it.
Avid, if a kid is not going to get a scholarship anywhere but wants to play FB what choice does he have but to go a school where he has a chance to play? Or did you mean choosing a private school compared to a less costly public school?

And don't forget financial aid. If kid qualifies for aid he'll get all his family needs at UD. And at some school the aid package will be 100% grant money...no debt......just about a free ride.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-22-2018), Flyer Gramps (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:51 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Showme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant future
My two cents, my son had offers from various D2 schools one of which has won multiple
national championships, but the school was small and in the middle of nowhere. The pioneer league teams in the area all wanted him but Dayton was the biggest school and has the big school feel. The financial package he got makes the cost about the same as an instate school. And finally its a competition thing, don't know if you were ever an athlete or not but it is hard to give up, I played competitive softball well into my fifties
and still miss it but can't afford the pulled muscles anymore.

Hope that helps.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Showme Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (05-18-2018), Avid Flyer (05-16-2018), Cardsflyer (05-22-2018), Flyer Gramps (05-17-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-16-2018), rollo (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks just always wondered especially when some stay for a 5th year.

I did play, football, baseball and basket ball mostly at cyo level. Had I applied at UD I'm sure after seeing my athletic skills I would have received a full ride......to not play sports at UD.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
I'm with Showme. Mine had some "preferred" walk on offers at MAC schools, D2 offers, yet chose UD. Yes it is/was expensive. But as he discovered, the competition is just as tough in the PFL and the kids are here for academics not a ticket for a chance at a better life. I'd say at least 90% of the PFL schools are highly rated and you will get a job out of school. The network of a school such as UD is over the top. Something he didn't realize until he graduated and was looking for employment. Some bonuses are the chance for him (us too), to go places he normally wouldn't have. When you see where the PFL takes you is amazing. California, New York, Florida, who would have thought Iowa would be a nice trip. Much better than many scholly schools where it is a minimal 2-4 hour bus ride. As for the 5th year, if you're here for a reason, why not? For mine it was a PFL championship and a playoff game. Could you imagine the regret if he passed that up.

I know this is long winded, but just a little bit of our experience.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (05-16-2018), Cardsflyer (05-22-2018), Flyer Gramps (05-17-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-16-2018), PittsburghFlyer (05-19-2018), Showme Flyer (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:32 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
About the incoming class
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...itter_2014_sfp
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (05-18-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Avid: You've gotten a number of very good answers to your original question.

I'll just add one more simple answer: In most cases, the student/athlete you're asking about isn't paying the 30+ grand/year. Rather, he has parents that really love and support him and his dream of playing DI football.

As for the guys that come back for a 5th year, in most cases it's not really a year. Most guys simply go back for the fall semester and only take the minimum number of hours required by the NCAA to be eligible (6). So, while it's not free, it's not as expensive as a full year or even a full semester. Having said that, in most cases the answer is the same; they come back for a 5th "year" b/c they have parents that love/support them.

As for me, I would have happily paid double for the friendships, enjoyment and pride I've experienced over the past 4 years. Looking forward to this last ride beginning in the fall.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-22-2018), Flyer Gramps (05-17-2018), jaburr91 (06-10-2018), jack72 (05-17-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-10-2018), NEOFlyer (05-21-2018), PittsburghFlyer (05-19-2018), Showme Flyer (05-17-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:21 AM
1st Lieutenant

skyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really nice
Many reasons. One is the player won't be lost in the crowd.
Two is it's a larger university than the size of a large high school.
Three is that the players become very good friends.
Four is that the competition is division one.
And lastly the reason why they play a fifth year is that they'll never get that chance again and it solidifies the friendships that they made during the previous years along with the belief that they can win another championship.

I'm sure that there are more reasons as there are players and each player has their own specific ones.
Mad Props to skyflyerfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (06-15-2018)