UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-23-2021, 08:25 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,481 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Game of Notes 2021

Since there are going to be so few matches this season...what the heck...let’s keep track of some of the other matches.

A10 goes 2-2 on opening day.

3-0 VCU over Liberty
3-0 Davidson over Jacksonville
2-3 LaSalle falls to Liberty
0-3 George Mason falls to Old Dominion
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2021, 05:07 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Well it didn’t take long....Davidson has paused team activities. They cancelled two OOC matches from last weekend and have postponed two conference matches this coming weekend. That means DUQ doesn’t start their season until 2/12. But the bigger “issue” is SLU. If the match doesn’t get rescheduled, SLU could lose out on a win they might need to make the conference tournament. I’m not in favor of the 2 teams from the East and 2 from the West selection process. I’m not worried about UD...I just feel the best four teams should play and at least 3 of the best teams are in the West - maybe all 4.

I haven’t seen any matches this year, but I’ve seen photos. All players are wearing masks on the court. I wonder who decided basketball doesn’t have to wear them...volleyball needs to? I honestly at this point don’t have an opinion either way...was just curious. I wonder what soccer will do? Anyone know about men’s tennis?

Anyway...VCU is 4-0 and have swept all four matches, but they haven’t played anyone yet. They host SLU on Friday. That’s the big match this week. Since we play SLU four times and VCU twice, I’m pulling for SLU...like RPI matters. LOL
Old 02-05-2021, 01:37 PM

VCU takes first set off SLU 25-22.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:06 PM

VCU up 2-2 on 25-21 2nd set. SLU can’t pass the ball and it’s not because VCU is so great at serving or attacking. SLU is staying close because they do appear to get a block up pretty good. They are getting some blocks but more importantly they are getting their hand on block touches and causing the Ram attackers to go long trying to avoid the block.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:36 PM

SLU takes the 3rd pretty easy after their best player OH Maya Taylor goes on a 7-0 service run. Taylor is a good all around player. She has more digs that kills because when she’s in the front row, they can’t pass it. When she’s in The back row, she can pass...and SLU gets it to their MBs on the slide.

First set VCU has dropped this season.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:37 PM

COVID-19 stuff - everyone playing with masks on plus they are not switching benches between set or at half time.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:19 PM

VCU wins in 4. Neither team looked that impressive. They both like to slide their middles. In addition, VCU likes to go right to their OH a lot. That’s been the case the last couple years. They have freshmen middles this year and I think they are playing a freshman (king) at right OH. Those sets are right into an very tall block by UD. (JPete/Moore/Yates).

VCU is not as fast as they have been in the past. So I couldn’t tell if it was the a VCU slower offense that allowed SLU to set up the block or if SLU is really good at net defense.

SLU makes their own mistakes and is slow to recover. Last year they were bad at ball control early in the season, but they did get better.

I watched 2.5 sets of one match, but if this was a solid day by these teams, UD should have no problem with either. We are faster, taller, more experienced and more athletic. But the big difference is our back row was very good last year and will be even better this year.

As always we have to be healthy, but these teams are suppose to be 2-3 in the conference. Today was not a big enough sample, but I’m beginning to formulate the question...is the Flyer bar after Louisville tomorrow...to not drop a set during the regular season? In this crazy year, just maybe this team can pull that off. Alyssa D’Errico was a member of a Penn State team that did it during a 30 match season. I think she will be able to keep everyone focused if we get on that kind of roll. The pressure to be perfect was a lot on the seniors at PSU that year. But a shorter season and someone who has been thru it would help. The Louisville exhibition and then the trip to SLU will tell a lot.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:17 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,159 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I believe if we have to rely on JPete less, this team will be better. When we had to rely on Alaina Turner for every quality hit, teams always knew where the ball was going. But JPete will be a better player if a couple other hitters also play at an A10 All Conference level. REALLY hoping Moore becomes an immovable object at the net on O and D.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I believe if we have to rely on JPete less, this team will be better. When we had to rely on Alaina Turner for every quality hit, teams always knew where the ball was going. But JPete will be a better player if a couple other hitters also play at an A10 All Conference level. REALLY hoping Moore becomes an immovable object at the net on O and D.
Agree. This is another area Swink can help this team. It sounds like she will also go 6 rotations. That one more hitter the defense has to worry about every play. Last year when JPete was in her 3 front row rotations, there were no hitters in the back row. This year two of those rotations there will be.