Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
WSOC On to St Louis 9-29-2019

Dayton has drawn the unfortunate schedule card of potentially having to travel to conference favorite St Louis two times this year, both for the regular season and then again if the playoffs if the Flyers and Billikens draw each other again. This scenario reminds me of 2014 when the top two in the conference standings, La Salle & Dayton, met in Dayton twice and split the games.

Regardless of the unlucky draw, Dayton has to show up in these games that count "extra" because of tiebreak scenarios. A road tie or win against St Louis would give Dayton an edge if they should finish tied in the standings with either an A10 team that had tied Dayton, or another team which was not already a 2019 regular season scheduled opponent.

Sunday's game in St Louis is available on the WatchESPN app for a subscription fee of 4.99 per month. Connect your web browser, then unmute the feed in the lower left corner of the screen. (Not sure if this is everybody's experience, but mine seems to default to mute every time I log in.) You do have the option to connect it to a television in one of several ways. I use a Chromecast stick ($25 to $35) or HDMI cable ($5 to $15). Or, if you have a roku box ($30 to $99) or similar streaming device, download the ESPN app and then log in to your account for a seamless digital feed to your television.

For the most easy to use interface I prefer roku, but it is the more expensive option of the three.
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2019, 01:55 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I think Sloo is going to unfortunately handle us pretty easily. The talent gap is huge. The most disappointing part of Thursday night's tie to URI was, in my opinion, the lack of leadership out of the upperclassmen. The juniors and seniors should have recognized early in the match that the work ethic was substandard and held themselves and their teammates accountable with self-reflection and self-correction. But that never happened.

The reason I dont think it happened is because for juniors and seniors to be those General Patton type leaders on the field, they have to walk the walk and have the respect from their peers as a player who leads by example and gets the job done by example. The upper classes however are significantly limited in the talent and success department both personally and as a team. Its hard to be that respected kind of leader when you routinely make mistakes on the pitch, take plays off and days off, and have your minutes eaten alive by true freshmen. You just dont have any collateral to wield to influence the team when things go south. And when things went south rather quickly in the first half, little was done to address it.

Golz has no choice but to play the frosh. He is starting 5-6 frosh because those 5-6 frosh are just better than everybody else. Yet they are frosh. A freshman cant be a team leader because they havent accomplished anything yet. So you have to throw those players out as leaders. Now you're down to 4-5 players on the field that are even potential leaders. Becker is a sophomore and first-year starter at GK -- Im not sure she even played at Portland. So rule her out. A couple other players are sophomores. Unless you're a studmuffin sophomore like Waters or Colleen, you aint gonna be a team leader as a second-year player either.

The staff has no choice but to play the young urchins and when you do that you often get inconsistency -- especially in the effort department. They are still used to being a star in HS where natural ability paid the freight and they didnt have to work nearly as hard on every single play. In the meantime, you need the upperclassmen to fill that hole with Rambo work ethics and physicality until the frosh figure it out on the job. Golz is not getting that tow line however out of his older players -- they are often just as inconsistent and take as many plays off as the new kids.

When thats the reality, you're going to suffer some ugly matches. I can excuse frosh doing the "parabola" flight pattern in the effort department, but its inexcusable from upperclassmen. And it just sets a poor example for the younger players. But, its also why the younger players are playing -- the older ones aren't offering nearly enough.

I do like our young players. They are not ready for prime time yet but few frosh are. But we should put 2-3 on the All Rookie team. They will be pretty good in 2-3 years. And next years incoming class (grapevine) is looking pretty good as well.

Thus far, my favorite newbie is Jess Sheldon. Not because she's the most talented but because she sells out every single time she's in the game. You get a lot of leash with me when you do that. She plays fast and has less "HS trot" than anyone else. Shes got a long way to go like the others, but fans notice this kind of stuff. The Spaniard has also given a tough effort most nights despite being way smaller than most of her opposition. Shes been pushed off the ball at times, dispossessed etc and a lot of it is her size going up against seasoned upperclass midfielders. But shes pushed back as much as shes gotten pushed and has played larger than her frame. Fans notice that too. She drew more fouls vs URI than the rest of the team combined just from her spunk and second effort. We only fouled 3 times however -- an indication the team as a whole was soft and passive.

Dayton is an effort program that won titles because of all the grinders. We need more slavedrivers and the roster space to add them. There are some on the roster that are simply not second-effort wired. Its a problem because effort wins far more games in WSOC than MSOC because far greater % of mens teams give a hard physical effort and its more about technical ability and nuance. Less parity in WSOC so effort makes up a lot more ground. Always has.

If we can keep the SLU game to within 2 goals and get a goal of our own -- say a 3-1 final -- Id consider that success. If we play like we did against URI though, it might be 6-0.

My .02.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 09-29-2019, 07:50 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
Current A10WSOC Standings through games of 9-29-19

Mad Props to soccerflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 08:28 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
4-1 SLU - about as expected. However, a much better effort than the match against URI. We started 7 freshmen, a red-shirt soph at GK that never played a college match prior to this year, one true soph, and two seniors. That is about as green as it gets. SLU started 6 seniors, one junior, 3 sophs, and one freshman.

Golz finally started Sheldon - a no-brainer IMHOP. We play best with her and Huber up top. First 25 minutes or so of the match were pretty even. We had one shot off the post and the Steiert goal. SLU started to impose their will when we subbed. A bad give-away from our back line led to the first SLU goal. An unmarked runner led to the second. The third goal was off a bad clear and the fourth off a free kick from a foul just outside the box.

As the match progressed, I thought the physical maturity and experience of SLU wore us down. Golz even tried Bucknor at center mid for a while - trying to get some size and physicality in the middle. Unfortunately, Bucknor did little to use those attributes to her advantage.

Sheldon continued to put quality crosses into the middle from the left side. If I am Huber, when I see Sheldon flying down the side with the ball, I head for the 12 yard line and look for the cross that is sure to come. Huber was there once in the second half with space, but a weak left foot led to a soft shot.

Our passing out of the back today left a lot to be desired. Far too many give-aways. Indeed, our passing was poor at a lot of positions all over the field. Give-aways up top are frustrating, give-aways in the back can be lethal.

The only solution that I see is growth as the young pups learn on the job.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
soccerflyer (10-02-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:49 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
I was at the game. Surprisingly, UD appeared to be the better, more motivated team in the first 15/20 minutes. Not sure if it was the pending subbing or if SLU simply woke up after one UD shot hit the post and then UD quickly scored just a few minutes later. My initial reaction was "well this isn't what I was expecting". I sat with some SLU parents/friends that have some kids on the team. After all of our initial shcok of the Flyers up 1-0, I quelled their fears and suggested that I still expected SLU to walk away with a 3-1 victory. Admittedly though, I found myself very engaged and was thinking to myself, maybe they can hang. Then came the first goal after sloppy backline play, inability to keep the SLU player from getting a shoulder/hip turn on a solid left-footed shot. It wasn't a rocket, a ball that hugged the turf most of the way, and I thought Becker might be able to get a piece of it, but those balls on the ground are tougher for the 6-foot keepers. Then came the second goal and I quickly realized what was coming.

I agree with most sentiments. Flyers played more spirited yesterday than Thursday, against a team that is better than the rest of the A10. The back line was the achilles yesterday.

I like what the future holds for Golz, and these underclassmen (women). I hope he (or Dean) finds a firecarcker or two on the recruiting/transfer trail to take even another step forward and get closer to the top of the A10 again.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-30-2019), ud69 (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
I like what the future holds for Golz, and these underclassmen (women). I hope he (or Dean) finds a firecarcker or two on the recruiting/transfer trail to take even another step forward and get closer to the top of the A10 again.

Another recruiting class like this year's (7 starting), plus the added year of maturity from the current frosh, would seem to be the step forward we are hoping for.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (09-30-2019)