UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
2020 Season cancelled

Just announced. UGH!
jaburr91 (08-07-2020), jack72 (08-07-2020)
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
I am sad about this one. I understand it, but sad nonetheless. I have been a season ticket holder since 1981 and this is just a bummer.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (08-08-2020), jaburr91 (08-07-2020), PittsburghFlyer (08-29-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 01:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Pioneer League to play Spring 6 game season
https://flyernews.com/sports/pioneer...on/11/23/2020/
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-25-2020), Glen Clark (11-23-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 03:46 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
I just hope as fans we are allowed to watch these games. I miss Flyer football and March weather isn't any crazier than November weather.

Go Flyers!
Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-26-2020)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:48 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
FB opted out of the Spring season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2021, 07:04 PM
Major

I am so sad to hear this news. These seniors had worked so hard and it was just a short season anyway.

As a season ticket holder this is the first time for me not seeing a game in 39 years.

Still...Go Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (01-13-2021), moville (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
They will hold spring practices but no spring PFL games...strange.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...EH7RKU4SBHD34/
Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:17 PM

My daughter is dating a starter so I follow FB more now than ever. So I’m wondering if baseball, softball and track have also been cancelled. Assuming that this is Covid related decision, I’m also wondering why we’re still playing basketball. As a UD parent, I get reports weekly from UD telling me how low the Covid numbers are on campus. So this decision to cancel FB is confusing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Major

I think the fact this is not a money maker that makes it easy to cancel.

Does anyone know if the seniors can still come back for a free year?

Go Flyers
Old 01-13-2021, 08:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

comebackkids0708 is a jewel in the roughcomebackkids0708 is a jewel in the roughcomebackkids0708 is a jewel in the rough
They won’t be the last. I’m sure financials play a part along with what was mentioned about pure demand on the athlete. Testing, extra hotel rooms, extra busses, practices without 100% of the team, potential of not having key starters for some games because of contact tracing not just a positive test, practice & playing during spring finals, MCATs etc. All that for what? To play 6 extra games for most teams, maybe 7 or 8 if you win the league. Kid tears his ACL in March, he can forget playing in the fall, different than getting injured in Sept.

If in fact there are PFL teams that do play they will most likely have to go undefeated and cross your fingers you have all 22 starters available each week. Keep in mind its not just positive tests, it’s contact tracing too. Could you imagine the week before the final game of the year, chance to win the league and your starting QB and RB have to sit out because contract tracing, not because of a positive test. Or you lose you 1st 2 games because you had 5-6 starters out each week. The virus is unpredictable and as we saw with FBS you can have all the protocols you want in place and still have people out. Having just spring ball most likely won’t “require” testing, don’t know 100% but I believe it won’t be required, unlike playing where it was 2-3x a week. Also, Spring Ball is not as much of a “demand” on the players in various aspects.

All schools are going to look at it differently but end of day it’s Risk vs Reward and it would appear risk is much greater than reward.

One of the differences with basketball is they are still on regular cadence for a season. Had COVID came in to our lives November 2019 first the playoffs are cancelled (like March Madness) but maybe there is enough time and more FCS leagues play 2020 fall as it keeps the regular season cadence going. Spring football is like having MBB play during the summer then turn around and start up again in October.

Again, I don’t think Dayton will be the last team to opt out and if I had to guess Morehead, San Diego, Marist won’t be far behind. All we can do is hope the next 3-4 months is used efficiently to prepare for a 2021 Championship Run. I’m not happy like everyone else but I have to be a realist and I’m not surprised by this decision. These are my opinions, everyone has their own.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to comebackkids0708 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (01-15-2021), jaburr91 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 11:53 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Disappointed that UD didn't at least give it a try.
They could have moved forward and quit as they saw the need.
Quitting without an attempt is not leading your Ath Dept.
Did you see that WITT, who cancelled winter sports two months ago is now looking at a 10 game mens basketball schedule? Why'd they quit in the first place?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (01-15-2021), rollo (01-14-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 04:21 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
1,700+ have read this thread about UD cancelling the Spring football season
and 10 have a comment!!!!
Maybe that show that few Flyer fans care if we have football or not?
Old 01-15-2021, 06:34 PM
Major

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
1,700+ have read this thread about UD cancelling the Spring football season
and 10 have a comment!!!!
Maybe that show that few Flyer fans care if we have football or not?
I think this is because the University doesn't promote the program. If they promoted it a little better more people would come to games and see what a great quality program we have and how hard these kids work and how talented these young men are.

We have a player who is in the NFL and we have two more that are very possibly going to get a look.

I sure wish the University would move it to campus as well. This would garner more kids coming and make it just one more option for students to support their classmates.

Just my opinion. Go Flyers
Old 01-15-2021, 07:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cardsflyer View Post

I sure wish the University would move it to campus as well. This would garner more kids coming and make it just one more option for students to support their classmates.

Will admit I do not follow UD football year to year, nor do I have the time too as many other options I spend my time with on Saturday afternoons in the fall.

But I have been to 4 or 5 Flyer games over the last 30 years. A move to campus might be the only thing that helps at this point, as quite frankly Welcome is about the worst possible place to watch a football game. The seating is even further from the field than most high schools, crappy concessions with rude workers, and not exactly comfy seating from what I recall. The ambiance sucks. Bottom line for a casual fan like myself, even if we get lucky and catch a competitive good football game, the overall impression of the place is so bad it just does not make me say hey, lets do that again next Saturday afternoon. I have even been to a few high school football playoff games over the years at Welcome as well, and just not a great place to see a game.

Build something on campus, very similar to Fairmont High schools stadium where fans can be right on top the action, and you might gain students and improve the game day experience and start to draw more fans in general.

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 01-15-2021 at 07:08 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Always Proud (01-16-2021), Cardsflyer (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 10:37 PM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not sure a lack of interest is dictated by the number of responses or interest. I read the forum almost daily, I just no longer have a vested interest, as my son graduated a few years ago. Also, not sure how many parents of current team know this site exists. Years ago I stumbled upon it by chance.