» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Once Again a Tale of Two Halves
Published by Swampy Meadows
12-17-2016

CHICAGO (IL) -- “From the Swamp” is coming to you live and in living color from The United Center in downtown Chicago, site of the matchup between your UD Flyers and the Wildcats of Northwestern. Mrs. Swampy and I made the drive in from Michigan on Friday morning, in advance of the end-of-the-world forecast for wind, snow, freezing temps and dogs and cats living together. Oddly enuf, it never really materialized in the city but in talking to David Jablonski from The DDN, it got nasty further south. The Swampettes are in attendance as well and even tho the Younger Dr. Swampette is an Orthopaedic Resident at Northwestern, she will be pulling for the Red and Blue because everyone else in her family went to UD. The Cubs World Series trophy is in the house and she will be doing a week at Spring Training in Arizona with them in February.

Ron Thalman from FlyerHoop.net is here and he said that there were 700 folks at the pre-game Alumni event. Jablonski said it was his understanding that UD sold something on the order of 4,,000 ducats to tonight’s tilt…that’s a lot of sweater-vests! Finally got to meet Shawn Ley from WDIV in Detroit who is a proud UD alum and put his press credentials to good use to make it to the game.

Nice that they played the UD hype video before the game, to the delight of the Flyer partisans. Of course they showed NU’s as well but ours was cooler and got a better reception.

Let's get this party started!

-- What's not to like? My favorite band—Alan Parsons Project—and my bestest hoop squad UD at The House That Jordan Built.

-- Nice placement of the TV timeout to drain the adrenaline out of the building before they even tip this sucker off.

-- KP going right after Barrett Benson early but nothing to show for it. UD down 8-0 way too fast. Make that 11-zip. Not good on either end of the floor thus far: Mikesell has 2 PF and NW is 4-6 from the floor.

-- KP finally wakes up the crowd with the hoop, the harm and the FT. Scooch makes 2 and it's 11-5. Sam gets the shooters bounce on a three but NW matches it. Kyle gets absolutely jobbed by the zebra on a clean block. On the other end Sam gets his layup attempt sent away. 18-8 NW at the under 12 media TO.

-- The only offensive category where Dayton leads is points off TO 5-1. UD can't put two positive possessions in a row.

-- Are you Xeyrius with that 3 pointer off the top of the backboard? 27-12 with 8 minutes remaining in the first stanza. Now NW is just throwing stuff up and it's going in. Not gonna make a ballgame of this if that keeps happening.

-- Darrell’s three was off when it left his hands but he redeems himself with a nice save on the other end. KP picks up 2 fouls in about a minutes time. 33-12 with 4 to go. NW triples to triple the tally 36-12. UD a fugly 3 of 26 from the field thus far.

-- In their two losses this team has mounted tremendous 2nd half comebacks only to fall just short. Don't think they have a 23 point rally in them on this particular evening, as it is 40-17 at intermission.

-- I was sitting in the secondary media section 7 floors above the floor. It wasn't “peanut heaven” but you could see goober paradise from there. I bailed and moved down to the excellent seats that the Elder Attorney Swampette had bought us for my birthday. This allowed me to actually see what was going on (and how bad the refs really were) as well as cheer my butt off for Archie's guys, which is verboten in the press area.

-- I was right, the Flyers only had a 20 point comeback in them and fell to the Wildcats 67-64.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Swampy Meadows on 12-19-2016, 07:34 PM
David Jablonski provided the answer to my questioning Larry and Bucky saying UD ranked #7 in steals.

Dayton ranks #7 in steals percentage which is # of possessions divided by # of steals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Comment

Article Tools