Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
The Tipping Point
The Tipping Point
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-30-2011
The Tipping Point

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- As bad as the Duquesne game was (and that 2nd half was putrid), what made it even worse (or better, depending on your outlook) was the fact that the game wasn’t available on TV -- anywhere. The Flyer Faithful got a cheap thrill when UD Pride MB poster Runnin’ Rebel stumbled on a site called Sports Surfing that promised hookups to sporting events around the globe, including the elusive video linky goodness live from the Consol Center:

http://sportssurfing.co.cc/

Unfortunately for all of us, Sports Surfing’s business model is as follows:

Step 1: Publish purported links to sporting events around the world

Step 2: Sells ads to companies based on delivering clicks to said bogus links

Step 3: Wait for unsuspecting fans to hit the hot links, providing clicks and page views for advertisers

Step 4: Profit

Obviously I don’t blame you for any of the above Runnin Rebel. All I have to say is this:

Screw you, Sports Surfing

Before the game, I had posted a few thoughts about the upcoming contest on the Atlantic 10 MB and the Dukes fans were very gracious and there was no trash talking at all -- except from freakin’ Xavier fans! Nine -- count ‘em, nine -- X fans posted on the DU/UD game thread before the tilt even tipped off! One of the Eggs geniuses said of UD “I can think of a few high school teams that can compete with them.” Another said “I hope Duquesne beats you so bad to the point that you no longer have a program.” All this in a game thread that had absolutely nothing to do with the Mouskies!

I went back and looked at the game thread from the Richmond/X tilt the day before.

Take a wild guess as to how many UD fans posted on the X/RU game thread?

Zip

Zap

Zero

Screw you, too, you miserable French motor scooters

Last year after I drove nine hours round trip to watch the Flyers drop the Dukes game in da ‘Burgh by a deuce, I called BG’s radio show that Monday night and asked Coach point blank:

“What are you, as a coaching staff, going to change, because what you are doing now ain’t workin’.”

I’m not calling him this year, but the fact is that the question I asked remains unanswered, 12 months later.

BG did switch things up a little bit on Sunday afternoon:

-- The Flyers attempted a 1-2-2 zone press a coupla times.

To no avail.

-- UD tried playing a zone vs. the Dukes…for two possessions.

The result: two wide-open three point baskets for Bill Clark.

-- One thing that didn’t change was the ‘Flyer First-Half Fold’ at the end of the initial 20 minutes, wherein the team somehow went from three up to three down in less than 40 seconds. At least that still works!

What we have here, boys and girls is what you call your basic “tipping point.”

It’s time to:

Man up or give up

Dig deep or get buried

Hold ‘em or fold ‘em

Kick butt and take names or be the kickee and name giver

Make something happen or make more excuses

Do or do not; there is no ‘try’

Screw this, BG, the entire coaching staff and all 17 of the players on the UD Flyers roster (yeah even you, KD)

It’s Go Time! Beat St. Bonaventure like a rental car on Wednesday night and turn this mutha around!

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Spuds on 01-30-2011, 10:42 PM
could you please email your thread to BG directly. I don't think he has gotten the hint yet....
By Piqua Flyer '66 on 01-30-2011, 11:44 PM
the lose at home to Spiders

was the tipping point.
Amen to 2010-11
We won't make the NCAA
Maybe the NIT - but that is not what we want
Wish us all better luck next year
By TommyGola on 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Swampy: In all due respect, you must recognize that BG has created a system in which talented players cannot flourish. The off-season loss of Staten will finally send a message to the administration that BG operates a second or third-rate program. That, Swampy, is the seriousness of the situation.
By 88flyer on 02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Swampy - I agree it's time to man up or give up. As an eternal optimist, I think the Flyers could still finish strong in their "final 10" games. But that will take a monumental shift in performance. I still think there is tremendous talent on this team, but they have to fight for it every night.

Let's see how they start this game against the Bonnies. If they don't come out with a lot of energy, well, that means to me that they have given up.
Comment

Article Tools