Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
2017 A-10 Week 2:

I'm busy traveling this week, so no full list.

VCU has already lost to Norte Dame 3-1 in Toledo.
Fordham hosted Cleveland St. But lost 3-0 (25-19, 25-21, 29-27)

Duquesne beat Coppin State at home 3-0 (25-17 -21 -11)
La Salle swept Tenn Tech (25-14 -19 -21) in Akron

And Rhode Island vs Clemson is underway. Clemson is up 1-0 and tied at 20 in the 2nd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
SLU is 0-5 right now. The team is hitting .128 for the season. They haven't played that tough of a schedule. Their OH1 Okoro is hitting .006. They are only blocking 1.33 per set. One has to wonder if their head coach Miller is on the hot seat. He came out of Illinois where he was an assistant. Highly thought of on the recruiting trail. And, he has brought in some good classes, but year after year they seem to under perform.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
I actually thought SLU's schedule was fairly tough. But I agree, I thought they would perform better during their home tournament this second week. It get tougher before it gets better for SLU since they play Pittsburgh and Western Kentucky this weekend.

You might be right. Kent Miller may be on the hot seat. Under his leadership SLU has challenged for, but never won the A-10 championship. His teams have consistently beaten most teams in the A-10, but they have yet to find much success out of conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Colonel

During the 2nd weekend the top of the conference could not get any big wins. But the bottom of the conference pulled their weight. La Salle and Davidson won all three matches, and Fordham was able to beat Rider. Rhode Island even picked up wins against Clemson and Delaware.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Colonel

VCU could not defeat Norte Dame but they did beat Toledo on their home court. VCU has one of the most interesting games this season coming up on Tuesday. VCU will play High Point and face off against a team Dayton already defeated. It should make for a very interesting comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's a match up that got even more interesting after this weekend because High Point got wins against Georgia, Ohio, and Oklahoma. So that is helping Dayton a lot. It would be nice to see VCU get the A-10 another quality win, but then Dayton would know they have true competition.

Last edited by udisit19; 09-04-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Old 09-04-2017, 02:08 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Someone posted Ohio had two starters go down during the UD match. I wonder if either played in the VCU match? And I agree the High Point match will be interesting. High Point was the big surprise our first weekend. They were better than everyone thought going in.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Someone posted Ohio had two starters go down during the UD match. I wonder if either played in the VCU match? And I agree the High Point match will be interesting. High Point was the big surprise our first weekend. They were better than everyone thought going in.
Becky,

High point was in a tournament during week two w/ Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio.(Ohio was able to beat Oklahoma in 5 sets, so despite their injuries they are doing okay). VCU hasn't played Ohio yet, VCU plays Ohio during weekend 3. (VCU,Ohio,Howard, &a Virginia in Charlottesville). Those matches should all be interesting as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-05-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:36 AM
Colonel

Becky, I just checked Figstats and noticed an interesting figure. THANKS FIGGIE!

St. Louis has the toughest SOS Pct in the A-10 conference of 0.5880. They have played a tough schedule, and it shows in Figstats. The teams they have played have had success in their other tournaments. Here is a list from toughest to easiest schedules so far:

SLU - 0.5880
GW - 0.5631
DAV - 0.5044
UD - 0.5007
DUQ - 0.4876
GM - 0.4769
RI - 0.4691
VCU - 0.4257
LAS - 0.3916
FOR - 0.3500

It is still early, so I think this will change more and more as we move into conference schedules. I find it a little hard to believe Davidson has a tougher schedule than UD, but I think when Miami OH and High Point start having conference success, Dayton will rise.

Gonna be hard to predict the bottom of this conference. RI and GM have bad records, but have more difficult schedules than La Salle and Fordham.
BeckysTXA (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
VCU swept Ohio U last weekend - 11-15-22. I think they will be our biggest A-10 challenge.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Colonel

I think VCU will be Dayton's biggest A-10 challenge as well. VCU plays another Dayton opponent this weekend when they host Seton Hall. Plenty of ways to compare UD to VCU.

I definitely don't think SLU is the second best team in the A-10 this year. But I am trying to figure out how good, or bad SLU is. Earlier Becky said she didn't think SLU's schedule was tough, but at this point it is still the toughest of any A-10 team in 2017. I'm not sure we know SLU's ceiling quite yet, but I think Dayton and VCU are above it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-14-2017), ud69 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
VCU swept Ohio U last weekend - 11-15-22. I think they will be our biggest A-10 challenge.
Agree.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
I think VCU will be Dayton's biggest A-10 challenge as well. VCU plays another Dayton opponent this weekend when they host Seton Hall. Plenty of ways to compare UD to VCU.

I definitely don't think SLU is the second best team in the A-10 this year. But I am trying to figure out how good, or bad SLU is. Earlier Becky said she didn't think SLU's schedule was tough, but at this point it is still the toughest of any A-10 team in 2017. I'm not sure we know SLU's ceiling quite yet, but I think Dayton and VCU are above it.
When they were 0-5 - they hadn't played that tough of a schedule and there were matches I expected them to win at that point. When their schedule came out over the summer, I posted they did a good job of scheduling. I think they have done a better job than UD in the last couple years putting together a good schedule.

They did just win their first match this week - western ILL- so they are 1-9. I think they should be more like 5-5. I certainly won't hold BYU or tOSU losses against them. But what about UTRGV, ILL St, Kennedaw St, and ETSU? So even if you dropped one of those, you're playing 400 ball going into this weekend against DePaul, UALR and LA Tech - all winnable matches to put you over 500 and battle ready for the A10, having played some good programs to prepare. Instead, at best they will be 4-9. Not what I expected from SLU this year.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
They did just win their first match this week - western ILL- so they are 1-9. I think they should be more like 5-5. I certainly won't hold BYU or tOSU losses against them. But what about UTRGV, ILL St, Kennedaw St, and ETSU? So even if you dropped one of those, you're playing 400 ball going into this weekend against DePaul, UALR and LA Tech - all winnable matches to put you over 500 and battle ready for the A10, having played some good programs to prepare. Instead, at best they will be 4-9. Not what I expected from SLU this year.
I agree. SLU is under performing. One win out of 10 just doesn't seem like enough for that program. SLU had Illinois State at home and East Tenn State on a neutral court. Both of those are matches that are winnable. SLU has much easier matches this weekend. Let's home they can beat DePaul, Arkansas Little Rock, and Louisiana Tech at home.
Posted via Mobile Device
BeckysTXA (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Udisit- thanks for doing all the conference team breakouts. It's going to be a busy fall and I appreciate getting what you have time to do in these threads.