UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Funny thing, I stuck by AM through that terrible conference start and was proven to be right when all was said and done. See, I didn't need to learn from that because I was right all along. And I'm willing to wager it all to say I'm going to be right again. This program is going to go backwards from the AM years and I'm not referring to some temporary reset with AG, his record speaks for itself.
I stuck by AM the whole time too.

We have to allow for the possibility that AG has learned from what went wrong at Alabama and will make the necessary adjustments.

The results so far are concerning, but we will just have to wait and see what happens over the coming years.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2018), Jeff (12-14-2017)
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,079 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Funny thing, I stuck by AM through that terrible conference start and was proven to be right when all was said and done. See, I didn't need to learn from that because I was right all along. And I'm willing to wager it all to say I'm going to be right again. This program is going to go backwards from the AM years and I'm not referring to some temporary reset with AG, his record speaks for itself. And that's the **** shame of it all. Just because people want an alumni as coach thinking that it's better than a great coach using us as a stepping stone. Well, guess what, because the program is being set back again, it means more stepping stone years from now when we have a good coach again. The real way to stop being used as a stepping stone is to become a destination program for great coaches not a final program for a mediocre one.
Smitty, could you do us all a favor and lighten up (Francis)...

I will give coach Grant a full 3 years and if by then i don’t see success- maybe (maybe) I’ll feel the same and admit you had psychic insight. I recall year 3 of the AM era as being the turning point and the natives were plenty restless. Grant inherited a mess here in terms of injuries, defections, druken tirades, etc...and because he was a successful Flyer as a player, was coached by a HoF coach and has been more successful than failed- he’s my coach and I’m behind him. And at this point, success by AM feels like a distant memory. Lets move forward and support the team...i for one see lots of positives and I don’t have the energy to dwell on the learning curve this team has in front of it or the setbacks they likely will experience this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-14-2017), Flyer14 (12-15-2017), MikeFlyer (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:49 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
Smitty, could you do us all a favor and lighten up (Francis)...

I will give coach Grant a full 3 years and if by then i don’t see success- maybe (maybe) I’ll feel the same and admit you had psychic insight. I recall year 3 of the AM era as being the turning point and the natives were plenty restless. Grant inherited a mess here in terms of injuries, defections, druken tirades, etc...and because he was a successful Flyer as a player, was coached by a HoF coach and has been more successful than failed- he’s my coach and I’m behind him. And at this point, success by AM feels like a distant memory. Lets move forward and support the team...i for one see lots of positives and I don’t have the energy to dwell on the learning curve this team has in front of it or the setbacks they likely will experience this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry to dampen your spirits with my opinions. This is a message board and if all opinions were the same, I doubt it would have as many members. I said before he was hired that I was afraid that being a former alumni, if things go bad, we'll start hearing excuses and he will get more passes than any other coach. I just didn't expect that it would be this bad this soon with both performance and excuses.

This is only the 2nd time since the Flyers became prominent under Blackburn that we hired an experienced head coach. It's easy to give a first time head coach some slack, learning curve, but not an experienced one. I expected more out Purnell(and I got it, since he followed our very worst years) and I expect more out of Grant since he's followed what arguably are our best. I even expect some temporary decline, but this is ridiculous so far IMO.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
We aren’t even a third through the first season- I’m going to at least wait until 3/15/18 before i make a judgement on the first year. You should consider it alao
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Funny thing, I stuck by AM through that terrible conference start and was proven to be right when all was said and done. See, I didn't need to learn from that because I was right all along. And I'm willing to wager it all to say I'm going to be right again. This program is going to go backwards from the AM years and I'm not referring to some temporary reset with AG, his record speaks for itself. And that's the **** shame of it all. Just because people want an alumni as coach thinking that it's better than a great coach using us as a stepping stone. Well, guess what, because the program is being set back again, it means more stepping stone years from now when we have a good coach again. The real way to stop being used as a stepping stone is to become a destination program for great coaches not a final program for a mediocre one.
OK, so I'm going a little apples & oranges here, but:

Joe Torre wasnt exactly HOF managerial material before going to the NYY.
Belichick - not too hot with that team in Cleveland
Coach K @ Duke - Army & first three years at Duke...meh

Just like your stock portfolio.....past performance is no guarantee of future results. It's more than just the coach, although in Mens CBB it is a significant part.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-14-2017), FLYER5 (12-14-2017), MNFats (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10
It's easy to give a first time head coach some slack, learning curve, but not an experienced one. I expected more out Purnell(and I got it, since he followed our very worst years) and I expect more out of Grant since he's followed what arguably are our best. I even expect some temporary decline, but this is ridiculous so far IMO.
From what I recall OP in his first year didn't improve much, if any, on what UD did the previous season
Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
From what I recall OP in his first year didn't improve much, if any, on what UD did the previous season
OP was 67-77 his first five years. He was 11-17 in his fifth season.

Last edited by longtimefan; 12-14-2017 at 11:31 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
OP was 67-77 his first five years. He was 11-17 in his fifth season.
He was 11-17 in his 5th season- but iirc that was also the year Chris Daniels passed away mid season and the team took not only a huge hit productivity wise but also played the rest of the season in shock. For the record- I still applaud and love AG as our coach and hire.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Purnell became coach in 1994. Chris Daniels died in 1996
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
As a side note, UD currently has the fifth highest SOS acording to UDpride and #4 at ESPN. Pride rpi is 87. So the competition hasn't been easy by any stretch. Results could be a bit better but given our youth and inexperience it isn't the dumpster fire portrayed by some( make that 2).
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:42 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Those judging Grant at the end of this season may be in for a disappointment. Given the roster, this year will be a washout. Start judging him at this point next year.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
None of Archie's assistants got HC gigs anywhere else, Archie didn't even take them with him.
UD assistant coaches becoming head coaches is a pretty exclusive club, Dan Hipsher(Donoher-Wittenberg, Stetson, Akron, and Texas Pan-American/Texas Rio Grande Valley)and Ron Jirsa(Purnell-Marshall)are the only 2 that I can think of off the top of my head.

If that is the bar that has to be cleared, then I think we are being unrealistically demanding.

Last edited by ud2; 12-15-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
May be a faster way but, Hit Quick links, go to user control, hit edit options, go to settings, hit edit ignore, away you go
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
This whole thread is comical. Let me understand the thought process by the small minority of posters. By coming out early in season one of the CAG era, you shout from the mountain tops how bad of a coach he is. Let's move forward four years. Have you for those four years hoped your prediction was true? If yes, just get off the **** bus now! We don't need you! If not, then what is the point of all this?

I can guarantee you two things: 1) if it goes as badly as you say it will, a change will be made 2) you aren't going to be heralded as some savant who "could see this from the beginning". I don't gave a rats a$$ that you think you are smarter than everyone else. So, if that is what you're counting on, give it a rest.

Lighten up and try to enjoy the growth by a young team.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-16-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-15-2017), FLYER5 (12-15-2017), FlyerinChicago (12-15-2017), Gazoo (12-20-2017), JimBo (12-15-2017), MNFats (12-15-2017), priceg75 (12-15-2017), TXFlyerFan (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
May be a faster way but, Hit Quick links, go to user control, hit edit options, go to settings, hit edit ignore, away you go
Thank you ☺
Old 12-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
I can guarantee you two things: 1) if it goes as badly as you say it will, a change will be made 2) you aren't going to be heralded as some savant who "could see this from the beginning". I don't gave a rats a$$ that you think you are smarter than everyone else. So, if that is what you're counting on, give it a rest.
It's true, everybody HATES the guy who said "I told you so". If we are successful with CAG, I will not be that guy. Promise.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
It's true, everybody HATES the guy who said "I told you so". If we are successful with CAG, I will not be that guy. Promise.
Buddy, me neither. On the other hand I will commend a person for being correct with foresight that ended up bearing fruit paralleling the outcome. That's if the person is respectful of the membership and doesn't become a nuisance. In which case they'll get no praise from me.

Last edited by FLYER5; 12-15-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
It's true, everybody HATES the guy who said "I told you so". .
I don't think that's true. On this MB there have been some posters who simply were relentless in their attack on our team, certain players, our coach, et. al. To the point of being obnoxious and unrelenting. And they turned out to be wrong in some cases.

They are deserving of a beat down or two when they are wrong.

The title to this thread is "We absolutely are very young and inexperienced". With that as a starting point, all opinions are on the table. But if you come on too strong and are eventually wrong, well..............

It's a fact that we are trying to earn our wings against an SOS of 5 right now. Some may not have been impressed with the names we have played, but the teams were pretty good. We are getting a pretty good baptism of fire. We'll see how it all plays out.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Brigadier General

The title has been revised. I'll be behind you when you berate them for being wrong. However I won't take part in piling on. The fact that they know that I know that they were wrong, is satisfaction enough for me. They won't see my huge smile either ☺ Well, maybe..
Old 12-15-2017, 02:46 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
This whole thread is comical. Let me understand the thought process by the small minority of posters. By coming out early in season one of the CAG era, you shout from the mountain tops how bad of a coach he is. Let's move forward four years. Have you for those four years hoped your prediction was true? If yes, just get off the **** bus now! We don't need you! If not, then what is the point of all this?

This isn't about and never was some investment in future credibility. I don't say what I think hoping to come back and say I told you so. But when a poster tries to dump me in the bucket of posters that didn't learn a lesson during AM's 2014 conference struggles, I have to point out that I just don't criticize based on small sample size. How do I do that, by saying that I was one of the patient ones during that terrible start to conference play.

Now, when I say I'd wager money on my prediction for the AG era, again, I'm taking my own projection and having confidence that I feel I'm right more than wrong in these matters, trying to make a profit the same way I try to make a profit at the horse races or betting on sports teams.

But believe me, every time I watch a Flyers game this season, I'm rooting for the Flyers to win, not for me to be right, and if someone took me up on my bet, it would be small enough for me to root for losing it.

Somehow none of you can get it through your thick skulls that I'm concerned that this program is going backwards. You might not share those concerns but don't ever tell me I'm rooting for them to lose. Heck, when I get to that point, why would I be here dealing insufferable emotional attacks from people like FLYER5 who just can't get over the fact that, yes, I was right about Charles Cooke and the great chemistry he tore down while he was here.

I'm a Flyers fan that sees trouble on the horizon, most of you are Flyers fans that see great success for the future. Deal with it.

Oh, and by the way, I was very wrong about DMO, I thought he would amount to be nothing on the basketball court. See, it swings both ways.

Last edited by Smitty10; 12-15-2017 at 02:49 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
PFlyer (12-15-2017), rollo (12-15-2017), ud2 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:57 PM

So, I don't understand what you are saying at all. I see big trouble on the horizon. What am I supposed to do? Just sit here and shut up and not say anything at all? I am not allowed to criticize AG at all?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:10 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
So, I don't understand what you are saying at all. I see big trouble on the horizon. What am I supposed to do? Just sit here and shut up and not say anything at all? I am not allowed to criticize AG at all?
Maybe not say the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over. And, again, nobody said AG couldn't be criticized. What was said is that it is too early to call him a failure.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-16-2017), priceg75 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 PM
General

Maybe not say the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over. And, again, nobody said AG couldn't be criticized. What was said is that it is too early to call him a failure.
I agree, it's too early to call him a failure. It's not too early however to project him as a failure which is the extent we've gone.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:24 PM

I see talent at the position, so I assume that the coach isn't doing his job by getting them to play like point guards.
Archie had Crosby for two years and couldn't "get him to play like a point guard," but you expect AG to do it in nine games. I guess AM was a "failure" with regard to Crosby. And I don't think Scoochie was any better than Crutcher after nine games, yet apparently you expect AG to turn a late recruit freshman into an experienced point guard in nine games.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:28 PM
General

Archie had Crosby for two years and couldn't "get him to play like a point guard," but you expect AG to do it in nine games. I guess AM was a "failure" with regard to Crosby. And I don't think Scoochie was any better than Crutcher after nine games, yet apparently you expect AG to turn a late recruit freshman into an experienced point guard in nine games.
A PG's main job is to get assists. To QB the team. If they aren't doing that or doing that poorly, there's a Point Guard problem. What more do you want? I really hate to keep repeating myself but: excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses...
Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
I don't get why anyone thought this would be a good season.
First we graduate 4 seniors with the 3rd most points in NCAA graduating last year.
Next we have a coaching change.
Next we loose the best recruit pt guard coming in.
Then our remaining point guard quits the team and then comes back.
We loose one player for being an idiot and embarrassment to the U.
We loose another player this season due to surgeries
One of our top recruits can't play and is a partial qualifier.
One of the Freshman is not even close to ready to play at the speed of the college game.
One of our two best returning players has had back issues and missed 1/2 the games.
Another player is injured.
And we are playing lots of freshman - one of which has a target on his back because who his brother is.

Again tell me why anyone thought or thinks this season is going to be a winning one? Next year - heck yeah - but not this year. This year is when our Freshman get lots of minutes and experience that will pay off next year. This season just chill and get to know all the new faces. The 3 freshman playing - are all going to be great players for us - in the future. This year it will just be little flashes of greatness.
There are many excellent posts on this thread but I think this is by far the best! podcast411 didn't offer eleven excuses or put all the blame on Anthony Grant for our 4-5 record. On the contrary, he offered eleven facts which can't be disputed!

Perhaps the 2014-15 team had more attrician because they were down to seven players, none taller than 6'6" thanks to Devon Scott and Jalen Robinson getting kicked off the team and Khari Price and Alex Gavrilovic transferring. That team was fortunate that assistant coach Bill Comar discovered walk-on Bobby Wehrli a year prior during a pick-up game at the Rec Plex because he was the last in the seven man rotation and even started at times!

As I segway back to the present I would love to have Bobby Wehrli on this years team!!! I miss his consistency and the willingness to dive onto the floor for loose balls. He could teach some of our players a thing or two especially by example!

My final point is that the big difference was that there was no coaching change in 2014 and the Flyers had just come off of an elite eight run the year before and had momentum. They were blessed not to have injuries during the season. With all the injuries we have presently and the freshman needing the whole season to get their feet wet we probably shouldn't let ourselves get all bent out of shape with the wins and losses. There are going to be games that we won but we should have lost (ie Ball St.) and games that we lost but we should have won (ie Miss. St). They should even out.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program! Lets let Anthony Grant have a chance to get some of his own players in the fold. I am already anxious to see what Dwayne Cohill provides next season!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
This isn't about and never was some investment in future credibility. I don't say what I think hoping to come back and say I told you so. But when a poster tries to dump me in the bucket of posters that didn't learn a lesson during AM's 2014 conference struggles, I have to point out that I just don't criticize based on small sample size. How do I do that, by saying that I was one of the patient ones during that terrible start to conference play.
Oh come on. How could anyone draw that conclusion about you? It's not like you just did that to start out your latest tirade.

You are like one of the old ladies at the nursing home. 'I don't like to gossip but did you here about Betty?'
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2017, 04:06 PM
General

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Oh come on. How could anyone draw that conclusion about you? It's not like you just did that to start out your latest tirade.

You are like one of the old ladies at the nursing home. 'I don't like to gossip but did you here about Betty?'
Posted via Mobile Device
Because nothing I've posted is inconsistent with what you quoted. Look, I get it, you're emotional, things aren't going good for you so any negative projection on our beloved basketball team feels personal to you. Like I said, I feel I'm right more than I am wrong. That's my opinion and others might believe I'm wrong about that. But I'm going to make one more projection. Take it or leave it. I think a Mydol will make you feel better.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
A PG's main job is to get assists. To QB the team. If they aren't doing that or doing that poorly, there's a Point Guard problem. What more do you want? I really hate to keep repeating myself but: excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses...
He asked you a simple question about AM being a failure with not developing Crosby. Can you not answer it? Crosby has had 15x the success in 9 games with Grant than he had in 2 seasons with Archie..
Old 12-15-2017, 04:12 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
He asked you a simple question about AM being a failure with not developing Crosby. Can you not answer it? Crosby has had 15x the success in 9 games with Grant than he had in 2 seasons with Archie..
That's an unfair comparison. Crosby is older and has more of an opportunity now
Old 12-15-2017, 04:15 PM
General

He's was a Freshman and then a sophomore with very little playing time. He's now a junior getting more playing time. I think AM was a great coach, but there were some negatives with him last season. But what's funny is that wasn't the question now was it? He was stating that we have a point guard problem due to inexperience and Crosby being a bad player, yet you are stating Crosby has already 15x the success he's had in previous seasons. Which is it?

Last edited by Smitty10; 12-15-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 05:47 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
There is one assumption on this thread that I think is completely innacurate. The belief is that Anthony was hired primarily due to being a UD alumni. There were members of the search committee who did not have long standing history ties that would place alumni as the top requirement.

I believe that being a UD graduate important, but the committee examined the complete body of work. Anthony shared his issues at Alabama, but also said his NBA exoerience taught him a lot

It is tough to return and coach your alma mater. Patrick Ewing is facing that too. I think Anthony understands that he is required to win and not move the program backwards.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
That's an unfair comparison. Crosby is older and has more of an opportunity now
It's also an outlandish assessment.
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
maybe not say the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over. And, again, nobody said ag couldn't be criticized. What was said is that it is too early to call him a failure.
bingo!!!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:19 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I really hate to keep repeating myself but: excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses...
omg. Is that really necessary?

Degrees of rhetorical interface:

Discussion.
Debate.
Argument.
Hissy Fit.
Childish retort.
Mindless drivel.

Let's see, what level did the above response reach?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-16-2017), NYCFLYER (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Because nothing I've posted is inconsistent with what you quoted. Look, I get it, you're emotional, things aren't going good for you so any negative projection on our beloved basketball team feels personal to you. Like I said, I feel I'm right more than I am wrong. That's my opinion and others might believe I'm wrong about that. But I'm going to make one more projection. Take it or leave it. I think a Mydol will make you feel better.
I'm not emotional at all. That's comical actually. I was just pointing out your contradiction and thus your motive for constantly posting as you do. In your reponse to someone's accusation of you that you like to be able to come back later and point out how right you were (and I'll add) hoping to receive the accolades you so richly deserve and seek.

In your response to him which I quoted, and now again to me, you did very thing you say you don't do. You can't help yourself because it appears to be who you are and how you think.

I see you as an egotistical blowhard with diarrhea of the mouth. I too may be an egotistical blowhard but at least I waited for enough evidence to be presented before I formed my opinion about you. It would be nice f you did the same with AG.

P.S. I'm more of a Pamprin guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Major General

Smitty...
I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play, I am perfectly fine with our PG play,.......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2017, 11:08 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
1. He finally listened to me and started J Davis and we had like 12 points at the first time out
2. Gotta love the shot clock violation right in front of the bench late in game and DD had no clue, guess the coach never wanted to yell it
3. Gotta love the clear out play by GS with 7 secs to go and we just let him lay it right up
4. AG put in Kostas the first time and we instantly lost a 12 point lead, so we get up 10 in second half and we put him back in and they go on a 11-0 run this time
5. I wanna thank the husband for letting his wife sit next to me tonight cause she was a "10" and I don't hand that number out very often
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-16-2017), jack72 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 PM
Brigadier General

Scott, she's back on my other side for the next game, pal. Thanks, though.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I don’t t know how Kostas can cause big runs when he played only 2 minutes. Good grief!
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I don’t t know how Kostas can cause big runs when he played only 2 minutes. Good grief!
Look at the scoring page, it will prove me right and he played 6 mins
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
Scott, she's back on my other side for the next game, pal. Thanks, though.
I love my wife to death and she is beautiful but this lady tonight was absolutely stunning
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
I love my wife to death and she is beautiful but this lady tonight was absolutely stunning
Posted via Mobile Device
That was me. Decided to switch it up last night. You stud.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:28 PM

There is one assumption on this thread that I think is completely innacurate. The belief is that Anthony was hired primarily due to being a UD alumni. There were members of the search committee who did not have long standing history ties that would place alumni as the top requirement.

I believe that being a UD graduate important, but the committee examined the complete body of work. Anthony shared his issues at Alabama, but also said his NBA exoerience taught him a lot

It is tough to return and coach your alma mater. Patrick Ewing is facing that too. I think Anthony understands that he is required to win and not move the program backwards.
I sure would like to know who was on this search committee.

Patrick Ewing is 8-1 right now, but Georgetown has not played anybody noteworthy. GU just lost to rpi-end-of-season-projected #33 Syracuse in OT.

Last edited by ud2; 12-19-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Old 12-19-2017, 06:06 PM

I sure would like to know who was on this search committee.

Patrick Ewing is 8-1 right now, but Georgetown has not played anybody noteworthy. GU just lost to rpi-end-of-season-projected #33 Syracuse in OT.
The search committee is an obvious group. Very similar to the search commmittee that hired Archie.

The search committee was NOT a one man committee consisting of just Don Donoher. It was an objective group.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Brigadier General

The Flyers would be better experienced if udscott and maddog07 were allowed to attend each practice. Where do I vote?
Tony T 71 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
The Flyers would be better experienced if udscott and maddog07 were allowed to attend each practice. Where do I vote?
Or coach a practice...I'd pay to see that.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 PM

The search committee is an obvious group. Very similar to the search commmittee that hired Archie.

The search committee was NOT a one man committee consisting of just Don Donoher. It was an objective group.
So this was the same group that hired Archie?

What about Tim Wabler and Dave Harper? They are both no longer at UD.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Tim Wabler was involved. Harper is at another school.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:00 PM

I said similar, not exact same.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 11:58 PM
Brigadier General

DD had a bad game. Almost as bad as their fans. What a lame whiteout..
Old 12-20-2017, 12:05 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Those were some veteran players who knew how to turn it up a notch at crunch time. Meanwhile our guys are just happy to compete for 30 minutes. Veterans vs Rookies.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (12-20-2017), Flyer 86 (12-20-2017), Gazoo (12-20-2017), San Diego Flyer (12-20-2017), shocka43 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Brigadier General

Someone needed to reel Kostas in but because our senior had a terrible night there wasn't anyone to do it. Did he really have the green light for all those shots.. Needs to lose the smirk after every foul he commits.
On a good note Sally Field was on Colbert and she's still a dish! Wowza.. Burt Reynolds looks like death warmed over but she looks like she's 50.. Anybody catch that..
Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 AM
Colonel

Garbage, absolute garbage, did u see st Mary's in our face the whole game ? Not us we're just sitting back behind the three line letting them run whatever they want, one other thing who waits till 2:30 mins to go, down almost 20 and then says hey let's try a full court press ? R u serious let's wait till we're down 17 to try something different
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-20-2017), PFlyer (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Colonel

Someone needed to reel Kostas in but because our senior had a terrible night there wasn't anyone to do it. Did he really have the green light for all those shots.. Needs to lose the smirk after every foul he commits.
On a good note Sally Field was on Colbert and she's still a dish! Wowza.. Burt Reynolds looks like death warmed over but she looks like she's 50.. Anybody catch that..
Absolutely correct he shot that three 5 secs into the clock and I said why is he still in the game, a good coach would have tanked his azz instantly
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2017, 01:27 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely correct he shot that three 5 secs into the clock and I said why is he still in the game, a good coach would have tanked his azz instantly
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure...we can ignore the fact that he was one of the main reasons their big guy (and best player) had 2 points at half.

So enlighten us - if you were the coach and "tanked his azz" who would you have put in the game to guard their 6-11 guy?
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:46 AM
Brigadier General

He did play good defense until the 2nd half. Then he got careless. The foul on the three from the baseline was a terrible decision. He knocked the shooter into the first row and then wondered how they could call a foul. Plays like that usually have an adverse and lingering effect on the rest of the team.
PFlyer (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Garbage, absolute garbage, did u see st Mary's in our face the whole game ? Not us we're just sitting back behind the three line letting them run whatever they want, one other thing who waits till 2:30 mins to go, down almost 20 and then says hey let's try a full court press ? R u serious let's wait till we're down 17 to try something different
Posted via Mobile Device
LMAO...Um, how bout' your former UD coach Archie Miller who got slammed well into almost 175-200 games into his HC career to finally start putting on full court presses...
Old 12-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
Sure...we can ignore the fact that he was one of the main reasons their big guy (and best player) had 2 points at half.

So enlighten us - if you were the coach and "tanked his azz" who would you have put in the game to guard their 6-11 guy?
DD does the same thing several times a game even when he’s shooting 0-11. Maybe AG could set a presidence by sitting his senior for once when he’s playing like garbage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Kevinob15 For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Those were some veteran players who knew how to turn it up a notch at crunch time. Meanwhile our guys are just happy to compete for 30 minutes. Veterans vs Rookies.
Exactly! My sentiments 100 percent! Its exactly what we did to other teams last season. We could count on the winningest class in Flyers history to be able to turn it up a notch at crunch time. Scoochie took his game up a notch when he singlehandedly beat Davidson at their place in the overtime!

The problem is those guys graduated and since we are not UK, Duke or other Power 5 schools and can't recruit one and dones we can't just reload. On the contrary, we have to go through growing pains with younger inexperienced players.

No one said Kostas was going to be as good as Giannis. He is far from it! Rather than criticize can we at least allow him to mature without judging how he is playing currently. I too am frustrated with his fouling but he is the one who has to realize he has a problem before he can correct it! As far as shooting early in the shot clock it is up to AG to threaten him with loss of minutes if it continues.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (12-21-2017), jack72 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Colonel

LMAO...Um, how bout' your former UD coach Archie Miller who got slammed well into almost 175-200 games into his HC career to finally start putting on full court presses...
2 different stories, he tried it down 17 37 1/2 mins into a game, archie might have tried it 200 games later but he started the game with zone, its amazing how people on here just defend garbage
Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
PFlyer (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,110 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure, let's go gull court press on the road against a team who we had just committed the fifth foul against, at what the 13 minute mark, and who shoots nearly 80% from the free throw line. Makes a lot of sense.

This is a garbage post.
Mad Props to JimBo For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Major General

2 different stories, he tried it down 17 37 1/2 mins into a game, archie might have tried it 200 games later but he started the game with zone, its amazing how people on here just defend garbage
I'm talking FC press, clown...AM got killed on here, and rightfully so imo, for NOT putting on the FC press and/or trap earlier in games to both get back in games when down and to get easy buckets. Just liked he never ever went ZONE just to mix things up for a possession or two..
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
LI Flyer (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Colonel

Absolute garbage! Our offense absolute garbage, if your not with me yet on firing AG you r blind !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
The losses don't hurt as much when you know there is a good possibility that they will happen. But firing the coach does nothing but set your program back several years.
Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Absolute garbage! Our offense absolute garbage, if your not with me yet on firing AG you r blind !
Posted via Mobile Device
Good then root for URI
Old 12-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
AG is another Oliver / Brian... at best
Mad Props to Falcon7 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:20 PM

Wish Grant could coach better, but coach who? Crutcher is unsure and mediocre out there, Landers has no shot and little D , Matej plays like a walkon, Williams is MIA, Kostas and Pierce are not ready to play at this level.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-30-2017), longtimefan (01-01-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:25 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
You have made it clear that you don’t like the hire. Rooting for him to lose immediately into the season is rooting no for the program to fail. Fire a coach now and you never hire another good coach for 20 years. No good coach would take a job knowing the plug can be pulled after a few games.

I am not sure any coach could turn this team into winners. There is a deep lack of talent and experience problem. For example, he would be starting if Kostas were half the talent of his brother. Right now, he is not. Maybe someday.

Grant is the coach. Live with it.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:26 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Willy418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of light
Agree Jack 72!
Mad Props to Willy418 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
The losses don't hurt as much when you know there is a good possibility that they will happen. But firing the coach does nothing but set your program back several years.
I totally disagree.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:31 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We are on an at least an 8 year rebuilding plan. This year doesn't count, lets blame Archie & be patient
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2017, 06:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,996 Times in 2,669 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Wish Grant could coach better, but coach who? Crutcher is unsure and mediocre out there, Landers has no shot and little D , Matej plays like a walkon, Williams is MIA, Kostas and Pierce are not ready to play at this level.
Your criticism is a little bit harsh, but your points are well-taken. Crutcher has potential but is a work in progress. Landers would be a D-III All-American as a PF, but is a bit lost as a D-I wing. Matej had some good moments in the 2nd Half today, but has otherwise looked lost for much of the season. For whatever reason, X has taken a couple of steps backward this year. Kostas has the maturity of a 12-year-old. And Pierce seems to have a long ways to go. That’s half of this year’s active roster.

Make no mistake: Archie “sold high”, leaving when his stock and that of the UD program were near all-time highs. I seriously doubt that he’d be any better than 8-5 with this year’s squad at this point, given that only 4 guys on the active roster played any significant minutes last year (and one of those - X - has been injured for half of this year).
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-30-2017), Flyer 86 (12-30-2017), FLYER5 (01-06-2018), priceg75 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:50 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
We are on an at least an 8 year rebuilding plan. This year doesn't count, lets blame Archie & be patient
Posted via Mobile Device
Gawd, I hope it doesn’t take 8 years. I’m thinking we should be back to the top of the league by 2020 or 2021.

That said, yes, Archie did some great things in 6 years, but he left a fairly barren cupboard. 4 proven players (1 of whom is out all year) and a lot of ?????.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Make no mistake: Archie “sold high”, leaving when his stock and that of the UD program were near all-time highs. I seriously doubt that he’d be any better than 8-5 with this year’s squad at this point, given that only 4 guys on the active roster played any significant minutes last year (and one of those - X - has been injured for half of this year).
Posted via Mobile Device
I totally disagree.

Last edited by ud2; 12-30-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Old 12-30-2017, 10:45 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 PM

omg, your argument does not even hold water, Indiana has lost to like 2-3 top 15 programs, we got losses to Penn, and 2 other meatball schools, Archie has 4 straight NCAA appearances with a elite 8 in there, AG has 4 out of 6 years at Alabama below .500 in conference, at the end of the day, the talent UD draws should beat the meatball teams, You have not heard me once complain about a loss to a decent program, its our losses vs the bottom of the barrel
Indiana lost to ISU and IP Ft. Wayne this year. ISU is 6-7 right now.

There are fans on message boards at IU who think Archie is terrible hire. They think his defense stinks. Others say that Crean left him with a lot of bad players.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-31-2017), Tony T 71 (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 08:07 AM
General of the Air Force

Indiana lost to ISU and IP Ft. Wayne this year. ISU is 6-7 right now.

There are fans on message boards at IU who think Archie is terrible hire. They think his defense stinks. Others say that Crean left him with a lot of bad players.
Wow! Change a few names, and change the word “defense” to “offense”, and that could be the UDPRIDE message board. And IU is only 8-6 right now, so it’s very possible they’ll finish with a sub-.500 record this year.

My only point is, while criticism is fine (and often deserved), we need to give AG a few years to get personnel and systems in place, just as IU fans need to do for AM. And then, if we’re not back in the NCAA (or, at least, a high seed in the NIT), feel free to blast away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 12-31-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Old 01-01-2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
I totally disagree.
On second thought, I agree with you. I was overreacting to the Duquesne loss. Bringing in a new coach would set us back an undetermined amount of time. It is hard to say how long it would take a new coach to turn things around at this point. Archie's system has been replaced at this point, and we are in the early stages of installing a new system. I do not advocate replacing Grant at this point, that would not be fair and would look really bad. He should be given at least 3 years, more likely 4 or 5 years.

This year is going to be very painful if things do not improve significantly.

Last edited by ud2; 01-01-2018 at 11:34 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AZFlyer85 (01-01-2018), Flyer 86 (01-01-2018), jack72 (01-01-2018)