Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Dayton vs. Los Lobos
Dayton vs. Los Lobos
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-01-2011
Dayton vs. Los Lobos

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- The Dayton - New Mexico game on New Year’s Day had been on my personal radar screen for a while now, for a variety of reasons:

-- Since I don’t drink, I could drive down I-75 with a clear head and relatively traffic-free roads

-- I don’t have an emotional attachment to any of the teams participating in the bowl games today, so I wouldn’t be missing much

-- The NMU game had a 2:00PM tipoff, meaning I could actually get home to Michigan at a reasonable hour instead of sometime after 1:00AM like I do for a 7:00PM tilt

-- We owe these suckers, big-time after that homer job in “The Pit” a year ago

The lovely and talented Doug Hauschild has me seated next to Matt Schwade from FlyerHoops.net so it should be a fun afternoon. UD Pride Master of the Universe Chris Reiman stopped by – hey he actually got the day off from work! Talked to Larry Hansgen and he mentioned that BG pointed out in the pre-game show how important it was for Luke to hit those three pointers vs. GMU. Luke is one of the most popular guys on the team and when he’s hot it picks up his teammates, the coaches and the UD Arena crowd. Hopefully, we’ll see LF and JS working the pick and pop to perfection this afternoon.

-- Looks like close to a sellout here. Doug Hauschild said they still had 500 ducats remaining as of yesterday. I have no idea who the CBS College Sports Network announcers are. Ref DJ Carstensen came over and gave Matt a ration of crap saying he has the best job in the world.

-- CW wins the tip and blocks an NMU shot into the 2nd row then snuffs the Lobos big man. The Flyers having a little trouble getting up a shot here. 6-0 NMU. CW with the trey to break the ice. 8-3 at the under 16 media TO.

-- JP hits a bomb and it’s 10-6 bad guys. NMU getting to the line a bunch—14-6 on freebies. Offense is lacking big time, so here comes Luke. JS gets undercut on a dunk attempt and gets called for the offensive foul! Mascara call by the zebras on Gordon, but they’ll need to do more than that to make up for that horrendous call. The “principle of verticality” states that a shooter has the right to come down and the ref took that away from Juwan. Still 14-6 at the under 12. CJ misses a layup from the right hand side—he’s a lefty. LF draws the charge at the other end. No flow for UD at all. 24 second violation as Luke didn’t know how much time was on the clock. Josh B draws his 2nd charge. PW with a layup—hey! CJ for three! 16-11 Los Lobos.

-- CJ with a tremendous block but NMU gets the putback to go. 18-11 with 8:30 remaining in the 1st half. JS gets called for another BS charge. At least the refs are consistent. I really don’t like the feel of this game at all. Alford has obviously scouted UD well and knows all of our tendencies. Then again, NMU isn’t a BCS school so why should we be surprised that they actually scouted and prepared for the Flyers. CJ gets hooked going for a rebound and he makes one of two FTs. PW for three, but Luke misses another and CJ gets tied up on the rebound. 22-15 with 6:00 left. Josh P with the 3 and here comes the crowd! 22-18 NMU.

-- Now it’s a three point shooting contest—they hit 3, we get 1; that ain’t good. NMU up by 10 after a CW driving layup, 33-23 with 3:00 to go in the half. Josh P with a step-back J. NMU in the double bonus, as is UD so Josh B hits a pair. The other Josh does likewise and the Flyers are down 7 with a chance to get the ball back. CJ hits a three before the buzzer and somehow UD is only down 6, 38-32 at the break, when it should be much more.

-- The official halftime stat sheet says that UD is 7-15 from three, which is really the only thing savin’ their bacon because they are a craptastic 3-18 inside the arch. UD is getting out-boarded by 5, 22-17. Juwan has one dime and only played 10 minutes—that needs to change if UD wants to win.

-- PW with the mid-range J and a steal and he gets fouled, which should have been a breakaway but wasn’t. CW charges on the old bull in a china shop move.

--WOW! CW goes way up high and jams, off the oop from JS! PW for three and the crowd is back in it as UD trails 44-39 with 16:00 to go. Excellent ball movement leads to a CJ 3. Josh P steals but Spearman can’t convert. 44-42 with 15:00 to go. Good travel call by the zebras on NMU. PW with the offensive board. Matt K with the missed tip—argghhhh!

-- “Kendall is my girlfriend’s name!”

-- CW crams the JS miss to tie it up and the building is up for grabs. “Airball!!!” Good D by UD leads to the violation. 46-44 bad guys at the under 12 media TO. JS dime to big Matt and we are tied once again, plus he was hacked. 47-46 UD. Oh My Goodness! CW with the absolute monster jam and the foul, 49-47 UD. JS drilled going to the rack and makes one.

-- JS Jam everybody! Juwan with the driving dunk, his first as a Flyer I believe. Clear out for Chris Wright and he nails the jumper. UD up 3, 54-51. Josh P for three, 57-53 with 7 minutes to go. UD in the bonus and NMU makes 2. JP steal leads to a JS layin. UD by 4. Matt K gets called for a suspect foul on Gordon, who proceeds to brick the 1st FT and make the 2nd.

-- CW gets whacked going to the rack. Makes both, UD by 5, 61-56 at 4:30. CW with the sick block but a CJ TO leads to a score. JP off a JB screen for 3. UD up 6. Airball by NMU to JB. NMU hoop cuts it to 64-60 with 2:45 left. 12,804 folks are chewing their nails in what Larry and Bucky always aptly term a “nail-biter.”

-- JS misses the floater and NMU boards. “Kendall” scores to make it 64-62 with 1:21 on the clock. Jump ball to NMU. “Kendall” again and it’s tied at 64 with 24 seconds to go and no time on the shot clock. Matt Schwade and I are calling for the JS drive and kick to Josh P on the OB play. UD instead goes with the Staten isolation and three follow-up tips fail to fall, so we are headed to OT.

-- CJ misses the three and CW misses the tip. NMU scoes on a too-easy layup on Josh B and Matt K replaces him. CJ hits a pair and we are tied. Gordon walks with Kavs playing good D on him. Rugby scrum under the UD hoops leads to NMU ball with 3:30 remaining. PW with the huge three. 69-68. Matt K with good D and Gordon dribbles off his foot. JS drives for 2. UD up 3, 71-68 at the 1:28 mark and the crowd is rocking to Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It Any More.”

-- JS fouls “Kendall” and he gets two but only makes one. JS misfires the jumper and NMU scores to tie it at :29 with 29.9 on the shot clock, meaning UD will have a chance to win without NMU being able to answer. Juwan drives and kicks to JP for the game winner that doesn’t fall. Say hello to my lil’ friend, Mr. Double OT.

-- PW opens up the festivities with a trey. CW with a manly rebound, but then reprises the bull play. Matt K with more excellent D and PW with the strong board. CW with his 4th PF. “Kendall” makes 1-2. 74-72 UD with 2:45 to go. CW fouled going to the hoop, NMU in the double bonus. Chris makes both and UD leads 76-72. Matt K says goodbye on the worst call of a fairly crappy game by the short, bald ref.

-- PW misses a three and JS gets absolutely manhandled trying to save it, but of course, there is no call. NMU ball down 3 with 1:19 on the clock. Dalrese airballs a three and the 24 second clock expires. NMU misses, Josh B wrestles for the ball and smartly calls TO with 10 ticks. PW inbounds the ball way up high where only CW can fly and he gets fouled. CW misses both and NMU secures the rock with only 5.9 on the scoreboard, trailing by three. The Flyers foul and “Kendall” obliges by missing the first, intentionally bricks the 2nd and comes up short on the game tying three.

Flyers win!

After the game, BG said that UD beat an extremely talented and well-coached team, probably the most complete team that the Flyers have played to date. UD obviously didn’t start off well and BG attributed that to “offensive impatience.” He felt they got really good looks at the end of regulation and the first OT, but they didn’t convert. He said they practice “winning time” every day and it paid off – finally. BG was pleased with the 18 offensive rebounds, 11 in the 2nd half. Of Paul Williams he simply stated “we don’t win that game without him.”

12-3 is good but it won’t mean anything tomorrow – there are a lot of things that the Flyers need to get better at to succeed in A-10 play.

Coach felt it was a great way to start the New Year and to end the non-con part of the schedule.

Game Notes

-- Luke wears two pretty serious looking composite ankle braces when he plays. I asked if they limit his mobility and he said no, you get used to them.

-- LaDontae "Buckets" Henton was in attendance and brought a Lansing Eastern teammate. He and Devin Oliver are former AAU teammates and good buddies.

-- London Warren sighting, minus the dreads. I had to do a double take to figure out if it was really him!

-- I was lamenting the Global Sports Main Event which gave UD 3 home games vs. high RPI programs and a road game with UC. Doug Hauschild pointed out that originally, Morehead State (currently RPI #137) was scheduled to play in it, but backed out. UD could have taken a powder "but being the good guys, we stayed in."

-- Saw Dr. Dan after the game and he was still all worked up over it.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools