Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 PM
1st Lieutenant

chriscage will become famous soon enough
It is official...PFL Gets Autobid!

The AP reports the Pioneer Football League will receive an automatic bid as part of FCS playoff expansion to 24 teams in 2013!

The NCAA site says "For the FCS championship, all 11 conference champions receive automatic qualification into the bracket. The remaining 13 teams are selected at large.

The top eight teams will be seeded and receive first-round byes. The remaining 16 teams would bid to host first-round games. Geography and travel costs will play a role when the committee makes pairings in the bracket."

It's about time.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to chriscage For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (08-18-2012), Charlie B (08-18-2012), DetroitFlyer (08-18-2012), Fan4allUDSports (08-17-2012), Figgie123 (08-19-2012), ICDWS (08-20-2012), jmitch (08-17-2012), PittsburghFlyer (08-18-2012), San Diego Flyer (08-18-2012)
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Major

Fan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to all
I think this is long over due. Especially after our 2007 Mid Major National Championship. I think that team may have been able to win a game or two. However, now that the auto is locked up my question will be how far will we eventually get? I for one don't think it is possible for us to win the National Championship(though I hope I'm wrong), but what should be our reasonable expectations? Sweet 16(either a bye or win) or Elite 8 round? Is going to the 'Final 4' a realistic goal?

On a side note, I hope this helps us push for the bid to host a game, and perhaps an updated football stadium. I know some of the issues with DPS and the costs vs. reward, but for us to be able to host well the NCAA tourney for volleyball, soccer, and basketball I would hope that we would be able to find a way to host a NCAA football tourney game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fan4allUDSports For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (08-18-2012), PIONEER 8 (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lurking Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe this will ensure stability in the PFL. Spend less while still qualifying for the tournament. Why go anywhere else?
Mad Props to Lurking Dog For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Oustanding news now we just need to show we belong and I think we can and Dayton should be front and center in proving we belong. For those who think we cannot compete without full scholarships I would point you to the Patriot League which just went full scholarship but prior to that: The PL champ one its opening round game (on the road) each of the last two years and in 2009 took eventual champ Villanova deep into the 4th quarter before losing. Also, Colgate made the championship game in 2003 (got blown out but got there). I offer this for nothing more than anicdotal evidence that non-scholarship teams that have smart hard working kids can compete if given the chance.
Mad Props to PIONEER 8 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jmitch (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Let's not forget 2007. Our Flyers went to Fordham and won. Fordham went on to win the Patriot League that year. They lost in the first round to UMass 49-35, a very competitive game. No reason to think our 2007 Flyers would not have done as well, (if not better), than Fordham. Winning any games in the playoffs is by definition DIFFICULT. Without looking it up, the MEAC has never won a playoff game, (and still retains it autobid by the way). The OVC has not won a game in a very long time as well, (also keeps its autobid). In any given season, the team that wins the PFL will have a shot at making a run. NC, doubtful, but that is why they play the games. I would have loved to see what Kevin Hoyng and the 2007 Flyers could have done in the playoffs. With the new structure, is actually seems more likely that we could get a win. Part of the problem for the MEAC and OVC is that they are always matched up against a very powerful foe in the first round. If the PFL plays the OVC or MEAC or NEC or PL in the first round, winning that game is not a stretch at all. Now that next round…. Still, talk about exciting. Making the NCAA playoffs builds excitement for ANY sport. Not having access for all practical purposes has been very bad for the PFL. As LD points out, not only should this stabilize the PFL, it could also coax continued expansion as schools like Detroit Mercy and others think about PFL type football. I can see the day when we have multiple NON-ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP conferences in FCS that have autobids to the playoffs….
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (08-21-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Interest there?

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
Let's not forget 2007. Our Flyers went to Fordham and won. Fordham went on to win the Patriot League that year. They lost in the first round to UMass 49-35, a very competitive game. No reason to think our 2007 Flyers would not have done as well, (if not better), than Fordham. Winning any games in the playoffs is by definition DIFFICULT. Without looking it up, the MEAC has never won a playoff game, (and still retains it autobid by the way). The OVC has not won a game in a very long time as well, (also keeps its autobid). In any given season, the team that wins the PFL will have a shot at making a run. NC, doubtful, but that is why they play the games. I would have loved to see what Kevin Hoyng and the 2007 Flyers could have done in the playoffs. With the new structure, is actually seems more likely that we could get a win. Part of the problem for the MEAC and OVC is that they are always matched up against a very powerful foe in the first round. If the PFL plays the OVC or MEAC or NEC or PL in the first round, winning that game is not a stretch at all. Now that next round…. Still, talk about exciting. Making the NCAA playoffs builds excitement for ANY sport. Not having access for all practical purposes has been very bad for the PFL. As LD points out, not only should this stabilize the PFL, it could also coax continued expansion as schools like Detroit Mercy and others think about PFL type football. I can see the day when we have multiple NON-ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP conferences in FCS that have autobids to the playoffs….
DF, so long as PFL attendance remains so poor it seems unlikely that other schools will be "coaxed' into starting programs. Baldwin Wallace and Otterbein, Div III schools, draw better than Dayton and most other PFL schools.....presumably because there is more interest in FB at those schools.

If UD was drawing 7500-10,000 fans I think the likes of SLU, MU, XU would have interest. But at the 3000 level, and often less, at one of the best non-schollie programs in the country.....well, we're pretty much a BB school; that probably explains it.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (08-20-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Here is the link to the story on the UD website.

http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/foo...rticle_id=9000
Mad Props to PIONEER 8 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Nice job UD!

Originally Posted by PIONEER 8 View Post
Here is the link to the story on the UD website.

http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/foo...rticle_id=9000
I like it, I like it alot!!!! No mention of how our STUDENT/athletes fund their education, just strap on the pads and go play the 20th ranked team in the country! I have a feeling that this Flyer team is going to open some eyes come September 1, 2012 around say 4:00 PM Central time....
Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Lieutenant General

Well....

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
DF, so long as PFL attendance remains so poor it seems unlikely that other schools will be "coaxed' into starting programs. Baldwin Wallace and Otterbein, Div III schools, draw better than Dayton and most other PFL schools.....presumably because there is more interest in FB at those schools.

If UD was drawing 7500-10,000 fans I think the likes of SLU, MU, XU would have interest. But at the 3000 level, and often less, at one of the best non-schollie programs in the country.....well, we're pretty much a BB school; that probably explains it.
when you are effectively barred from the NCAA playoffs for 20 years, fans tend to lose interest.... It may take some time, but winning the PFL AND going to the NCAA playoffs will rebuild fan interest. I clearly remember my time at UD in the Division III days, (1980 - 1984), when we drew numbers like those you quote. Granted, we won the NC in 1980 and had several good playoff runs up until we were forced into developing the PFL, but I still say that playoff appearances will bring the fans back. Playing for PFL Championship or even a Gridiron Classic game is just not that exciting when virtually ever other team on campus is playing to get into the NCAA playoffs. Of course improved schedules, (routinely playing top 25 teams in the division will help). If we can ever get an ISU or YSU to come play in Dayton, especially YSU, it would be standing room only! This is a HUGH step in getting football at PFL schools back on track.
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
PIONEER 8 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
I like it, I like it alot!!!! No mention of how our STUDENT/athletes fund their education, just strap on the pads and go play the 20th ranked team in the country! I have a feeling that this Flyer team is going to open some eyes come September 1, 2012 around say 4:00 PM Central time....
I like your attitude