UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Rachael Fara - Northwestern Grad Transfer?

Newest Flyer per D'Errico Twitter - also indicating she will be part of the team in the Spring
https://twitter.com/alyssaflyerswvb?lang=en

As best I can tell she may be a grad transfer from Northwestern. Perhaps coming off an injury or even academic concentration? Played only 1 match in 2017 and none in 2018.
https://nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5447&path=wvball

Not exactly cupcake majors either - Biochem and Biophysics in 3 1/2 years?(showing '18 NW graduation)
https://www.instagram.com/rachaelfara/

Assuming she will only have 1 year of eligibility.

Updated roster tree:
Added 6" 3" Rachael Fara - 12/6/18, removed class of 2015, removed Ogogor from class of 2019, updated Sandt and Dynda to signed

Class of 2016(2020 graduates) - Jordan Albarran, Sierra Pia, Rachael Fara (grad transfer from Northwestern)

Class of 2017(2021 graduates) - Jamie Peterson (red-shirted in 2017), Bridget Doherty, Brooke Westbeld(red-shirted in 2016), Olivia Dubay(red-shirted in 2016)

Class of 2018(2022 graduates) - Molly Asmus, Carissa Beyer,Maura Collins, Allison Papesh(enrolled early), Mikaylah Van Lanen, Amelia Moore, Elizabeth House, Josie Vondran

Class of 2019(2023 graduates) - Livie Sandt(signed), Grace Dynda(signed)

Class of 2020(2024 graduates) - Lexie Almodovar (verbal), Anna Wuensch(verbal), Lindsay Winner (verbal), Alayna Yates(verbal)

Class of 2021(2025 graduates) - Katie Gale (verbal)

Last edited by ud69; 12-06-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
One of the instagram posts say she is working on her MS in chemical engineering. Since she is not on the NW 2018 roster, maybe two years eligibility if she was injured in 2017??
Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
One of the instagram posts say she is working on her MS in chemical engineering. Since she is not on the NW 2018 roster, maybe two years eligibility if she was injured in 2017??

She played in 2015. Only one year left to fit into the 5 year window.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-06-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Played high school ball at Benet Academy in Naperville, ILL. They are a volleyball factory in that tons of great players that are highly recruited come out of Benet. Also played at Spotrs Performance club.

Top 250 recruit out of high school as a 6’3” MB. 6’ is going to be short on this team for the next couple years.

This is a great pick up. I have no idea how she came to UD, but this is a nice addition to next year’s “senior” class. I too assume a grad transfer and very possibly she might enroll for spring semester, which gives her a chance to train and play with the team this spring.

Exciting news. Here is her NW bio

https://nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3918
Old 12-07-2018, 10:34 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
My guess is both Amelia and Mikaylah will slide a year after they take medical redshirts for this year. I’m not sure when that officially happens. Since the season is over my guess is the program can file the forms with the NCAA for those designations.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:02 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
What are we getting - Rachel Fara

When I saw the first post here about her I went to Northwestern athletics - women's volleyball. I then looked at statistics and saw her's for her Northwestern career. It appears that she played very little there.

I do not know how much she practiced. I do not know how much TH was aware of her prior to her going to Northwestern. She is 6'3" and as stated recently, she came from a good high school and club program.

This sounds like a trust TH and his staff addition.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:51 PM

A couple things from the announcement on df.com. First great high school and club background. Her club team won two consecutive AAU 18 Open Championships. The Open Division is the most talented division and 18 is the oldest girls. Since she won two, that means she “played-up” when she was 17 years old. All that is as good as it gets in the club world and very hard to accomplish.

Second is TH comments about her MB skills. Says she can terminate balls both in front of the setter and behind the setter. Behind the setter means she can run a slide. The last great slide attack middle we had was Megan Campbell. The two best we ever had were Faye Barhorst and Becky Novacek. Bethany Akerheilm and Z Hannah were also pretty good. But as you can see from the “historical” names, we haven’t had that skill at MB for awhile and it’s been missed. All the Sweet 16 teams have great slide attackers. We’ve had very talented MBs, but they attacked off sets in front of the setter. Amber and Kendyll off quick, low sets and Lindsay and Amelia appears to be in the Lindsay style of MB, quick higher sets in front of the setter and Lindsay just hit over the block.

Third, reading between the lines, it appears Rachel came in and worked out with the team. That is common. TH coached Faye. He’s probably been looking for a MB that hits the slide. He certainly knows it’s value in an offense and how hard it is to stop. I’m trusting he found one.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:44 PM

I just popped out to Rick Kern’s Site and he has listed Rachel on our 2019 recruits. It’s rare he lists transfers. He only does it when they could have a major impact on a recruiting class and it’s potential ranking. I’m not saying this class of 3 players will be ranked, but if Rich added this transfer to our listing our class will now be seriously considered for a ranking.

As fans we are flying blind here at this point, but based on others in-the-know, this grad transfer is looking very good. I especially like she will be with the team this spring.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
To BeckysTXA If Rachel Fara has been all this, why didm't she get more done at Northwestern? Hurt? Did Northwestern have a great MB? Issues with the coach?

Still trust TH.