Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Dayton/Pitt Blogorama
Dayton/Pitt Blogorama
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
12-29-2007
Exclamation Dayton/Pitt Blogorama

DAYTON (OH) – “Well hello again everyone, from high above courtside at the Boston Garden, I’m Johnny…”

Whoa, for a minute there I was channeling the late, great voice of the Celtics, Johnny Most. That’s probably because I am, indeed, up here in the press area in section 301 high above the Blackburn Court at UD Arena for the most anticipated Flyer game in many moons, the nationally televised contest between #6 Pitt and the good guys in Red and Blue.

We’ve got Doug Gottlieb and Tom Brennan from ESPN in the house (and at Flanagan’s later) and tonight we’re blogging, so buckle up and let’s get rockin’ shall we:

-- Before we begin, did anyone out there realize that Doug Hauschild has been UD’s SID for 25 years? That’s an eternity in his line of work and he obviously must be doing some (more likely many) things right. You da man, Doug.

-- It’s an early arriving crowd and Willie has the Pep Band firing up the crowd. Unfortunately the dreaded fugly blue tarp is in place behind them and the student section…I bet it doesn’t even show up when ESPN is doing crowd shots.

-- Chris Wright is getting lots of attention from the training staff at center court, as you might expect. I want CW to play, but I don’t want him to screw up his foot even more than it already is. Hey, he’s making his practice freebies, so that’s a start!

-- Pitt only has 10 guys dressed. I know Mike Cook is hurt, but that seems kinda light, doesn’t it?

-- Generally speaking, I’m not a big fan of towel waving (unless they are “Terrible Towels” and you’re at a Steeler game) but I must say the sight of 13,000 people standing and waving them when the Flyers hit the floor made me smile.

-- Soulful rendition of the National anthem by Dr. Willie. Nicely done. Hope ESPN got some of that.

-- Sam Young proves he will be a matchup problem with a game opening dunk. Kurt must finish….and just like that, he does with a two-handed flush! And he makes two free ones. 4-2, good guys.

-- BRob! 6-4, UD.

-- Keith Benjamin comes in and promptly drains a three, 7-6 Pitt with 16 minutes left in the half. Charles, Thiago and CW check in for the Flyers to a rousing cheer from the crowd. Let’s see what Chris can do. Well, he went flying in towards the hoop, but got nailed. He makes ‘em both, 10-9 Flyers.

-- Turnover city on both ends. London with the drive, the hoop and the harm! Flyers up 13-11 after the LW make.

-- Charles bangin’ the boards! TV timeout at the 12 minute mark, UD still up by 2. Even CL is making the freebies tonight! Flyers up 4, 15-11.

-- MJ learns why you never foul a three point shooter in the act, but Ronald Ramon only makes 2 of 3. Levance does his 3 thing, but BRob answers with a two, to make it 18-17 Pitt. DeJuan Blair picks up foul #2 with 9:30 left and takes a seat. MJ makes 1-2 to tie it at 18.

-- BRob runs under Levance as he is driving for a layup and it works, as Fields blows the bunny. On the other end, KH puts back his own miss for a 20-18 advantage.

-- Sam Young with a tough spin move. Count it and he goes to the line and puts the Panthers up by 1. Pitt now has 9 fouls to 4 for UD. Charles is laser focused and converts the 1 and 1. Next foul = 2 freebies.

-- A coupla friendly bounces and CW makes 2 at the line before taking a seat. Flyers up 3. All of a sudden the refs are trying to even out the fouls as London and Charles both get whistled for their second.

-- BRob for three! And for two! UD up by 7, 29-22. If Dickie V were here (and could talk) he would scream “Better get a TO, Jamie Dixon, get a TO, baby!!!”

-- Pitt makes 2 unanswered hoops but BRob stops the bleeding with a ‘teardrop’ banker to get the lead back to 5, 31-26 with 4 minutes left in the first half. And then after a turnover he hits a jumper and then gets fouled shooting a three. Now it’s up by 10 with 3 left. Pitt scores, but then #2 hits T with a pretty feed for an easy 2.

-- KH with a beautiful feed to MJ for a layup. BRob drains the three at the buzzer and UD is up at the half 45-33. He was 7-10 from the field and made all 3 freebies for 18 in the initial stanza.

Wow.

-- Talked to Coach Tom Brennan of ESPN in the media room at the half and asked him what he thought: “I love it. Boy, that Brian Roberts is something. But, Pitt has been here before. The difference is that in MSG there were mostly Duke fans; tonight they’re all Dayton fans and they are into it!” I lamented the fact that Chris Wright isn’t 100% and he said that they got to watch him in practice yesterday and “you can see he’s something special.”

-- MJ opens the 2nd half with a score and is matched by Levance. Blair gets #3 with 19 left in the contest. MJ hits a follow tip, UD up by 14, 49-35. Jamie Dixon hears Dickie V’s voice inside his head and calls a TO.

-- Levance buries a three, KH hits a baby turnaround and Blair reverses to make it 51-40. Blair gets #4 with 16 left and pulls up some plastic. KH misses both FTs, but Marcus reverses to get it back to 13 at the 15:45 mark. Levance Fields gets helped to the locker room, meaning Pitt is without their 2 major weapons for the next 10 minutes or so.

-- CW with a manly rebound and CL nails a runner and then sticks a put back for a 17 point bulge 57-40 with 14:22 left. Cue Dickie V.

-- The teams both proceed to screw up for 2 minutes, until Benjamin hits a two. That’s okay, the clock is our new best friend.

-- Ramon airballs a three but Benjamin sticks the miss in the hoop. BRob gets the crowd back into it with a three. Pitt airballs yet another shot. At this rate, the Red Scare can yell ‘airball’ at anyone and be right. 60-44 with 10:00 to go when Jamie Dixon listens to his own voices and gets called for a ‘T’ and amazingly enuf, BRob misses one of two and then gets a blow. When LW picks up his 3rd, he returns.

-- BRob for three, UD up by – can it be -- 20 points with 7:51 left. This is kinda fun, ya know? KH hooks over the helpless DeJuan Blair for two, but Blair returns the favor at the other end. Marcus with a put back for a surreal 25 point lead with 6:30 remaining. Is the ESPN/USA Today Coaches panel watching this game?

-- Andres sells the ref that he got fouled and makes them both. CW replaces Sandoval and you can’t tell who the cheers are for, which is nice for Andres.

-- The Binnie Bomb! BRob makes 2 charity throws and we are up by freakin’ 30. It is officially impossible for UD to lose with 4 minutes to go. Many in the crowd are heading for the exits and even John R can’t ***** about that.

-- Sam Young makes a 28 point dunk and we’re all tied. I keed, I keed.

-- The teams go up one end of the floor and then down the other for 2 minutes and UD wins 80-55, as BRob hits for 31 large ones. And quite appropriately, the students do not rush the floor.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”

You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools