UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,093 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Exhibition: Dayton 2 Burlington (ON) 1

Fall sports got underway tonight with the 2017 season's first preseason exhibition. UD WSOC hosted Burlington Bayhawks, a club team from Ontario with several D-I commitments on the team (including one headed to UD). UD's Keagin Collie also played for Burlington.

Also debuting tonight was the Eric Golz era of UD WSOC.

Match was broken into three 30-min periods. The brief summary is UD won the first period, Burlington the 2nd, and Burlington the 3rd with a bit of an asterisk.

FIRST PERIOD

UD looked most dominant all evening in the first 10-12 minutes of the match, picking off balls, weak passes, and pushing forward. UD's physicality seemed to cause issues for Burlington early on. UD missed a couple great early chances to score, including a beautiful combination that involved A. Kiehl giving the ball up and getting it back on a through-ball to the right side. All she had was the GK to beat and it was even by her account an easy finish, but she popped it and it skipped over the crossbar. I doubt she misses such an easy one again all year. Kiehl did not start (perhaps due to her rehab) but was effective early.

Burlington found their legs and adjusted to the speed of the game late in the first period. They challenged UD on a couple great chances and hit the crossbar on a ball that had Johns beat between the pipes. Beth Kampaus -- mostly an offensive player in the past -- played central defender tonight and for the most part did a solid job.

SECOND PERIOD

Quincy Kellett got UD on the board with a 28yd rip from the right side that found the upper 90 of the left corner of the net. Whether it was an intended shot or dangerous ball in the mixer, it was highly effective and placed as well as a ball can be placed from that spot on the field.

Up 1-0, UD relaxed a bit and got caught napping on some marking assignments. Additionally, Burlington found more pace and won more loose balls. The Flyers had a lot of unnecessary giveaways in terms of possession -- oftentimes playing balls into the middle third with no purpose or targets. When the balls did have a target they were often weak and easily picked off. This gave Burlington some chances to push forward and make something happen.

Burlington tied it up on a corner kick directly at the near post that Johns moved on and snatched, but the ball slipped through her mitts and bounced behind her near the goal line. A short scrum knocked the ball in the net to tie things at 1-1. Johns should have had it and while the sun was in her face from being low on the western horizon, the corner kick was 90 degrees from the direction of the sun and cant be solely blamed.

Golz began substituting quite a bit and giving lots of players a good look. He also tweaked the positioning a bit, moving Pestell into a wide attacking role for a while. Kiehl did not play heavy minutes either or "do anything stupid" to find an unnecessary injury.

THIRD PERIOD

Leroy played up top and put UD up 2-1 after getting a great slotted ball from frosh Morgan Henderson that she knocked past the Burlington GK from 12yds out. Leroy threw her frame around while on the field and knocked some people around and while she lacks pace, does give UD a dose of physicality up top.

With more liberal subs, UD played much of the third period with fresh faces and a number of starter-caliber players on the sidelines. Burlington ended up outplaying UD for much of the last 20 minutes and actually bunkered the Flyers for an extended period late in the game that UD couldn't seem to crawl out of. Dayton struggled with with clears, errant passing, a lack of off-the-ball movement, and losing the 50/50 battle. Again, wasnt exactly UD's best 11 out there however.

Burlington is probably as good as a low level D-I squad. They have 6-8 players going D-I to some solid schools and are well coached. The biggest difference is just 3-4 years in age difference. They dont have the weight room muscle on them -- that said -- many times they managed to dig balls out from UD players. I attribute some of this to just a shaky UD effort on the first dress rehearsal. Burlington plays together all the time. This was UDs first chance to find out what was what.

Kiehl will be Kiehl. Pestell should be solid. I have some optimism for Kamphaus in the back. If she can become a poor woman's Kelsey Miller, Golz will take that all day and twice on Sundays. She is a good athlete with some height and quicks. But it takes a special toughness to be a back line player. Golz seems to think she has what it takes.

Some of my concerns:

1. Playmaking central midfielder. Didnt really see anything out there that allowed UD to play through the middle and distribute. We've been spoiled in the last several years with such imposing passers and playmakers in that position, but this looks like a work in progress right now. Much of the UD possession went from defense to offense without a conduit in the middle third to make the transition more compact and accurate. Long balls are only good for so long. As for possible names to take on this central MF role, Im not quite sure myself. Keagin Collie has size to knock bodies, but you also need quicks and vision. Vision is key to the whole thing. A good central MF is 3 passes ahead of the rest of the game. I suspect Golz will be searching for a permanent solution to this for a while.

Cant draw too much from Day 1. Lets see how we look vs Miami University on Friday. Will be a better gauge of progress, and tell us if we got better since Burlington and worked on some things.

Weigel did not play. Tough to say on the frosh. I think finding pace will be a real key. We need additional speed on the field but thats been an uphill fight for the last 3-4 seasons. Alexis cant be the only one with another gear on offense. Pestell has deliberate speed on defense. Golz tried her at outside mid for a while -- she had a couple good crosses in the box. Undersized however, its never easy for her no matter the position. I was undersized when I played so I respect the struggle to overcome it on a nightly basis.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-09-2017)
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of my own thoughts-

While Johns allowed a soft goal when the ball went through her hands, she had 2 or 3 really good stops in one-on-one situations. She did get wrong-footed on one shot off the cross bar, but that may have been due to the sun directly in her line of vision. Also thought she was much more vocal with her teammates.

Still did not see any Flyers with speed. Burlington had a striker with some really good wheels.

I think I saw Golz run Kamphaus up top for a bit as well as Pestell. Perhaps looking for another striker alongside Kiehl.

Too many Flyers were flopping to the ground from minimal contact. Need to have a stronger attitude.

Deliberate or not, the ball that Henderson slotted to LeRoy on the winning goal was perfectly placed and weighted. Certainly good vision - so credit to her.

Hard to get a read on any of the newcomers in one scrimmage

Miami on Friday. They were 8-9-2 last year and lost 4-2 to NKU in an exhibition last night. All 4 NKU goals were scored by Macy Hamblin - last year's Horizon POY. NKU won the Horizon tournament last year. Miami outshot NKU 14-5.

Last edited by ud69; 08-09-2017 at 12:05 PM..