» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
The Basketball Roller Coaster Capital Of The World
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-23-2019

DAYTON (OH) -- Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky rightfully claims to be the “Roller Coaster Capital of the World.” They’ve got a bunch of ‘em –- the next one scarier than the last -- and CP seems to unleash a new torture chamber every coupla years.

But when it comes to basketball thrill rides, one needs to travel 200 miles to the south to UD Arena to find the ultimate in nerve-wracking, pants-wetting, heart-pounding college hoops. No one can top the Sons of Anthony Grant for incredible highs and death-defying lows -- oftentimes in the same ballgame!

I got a FitBit for Christmas and let me tell you the heart beat monitor on that sucka has been getting a workout every single time the Red and Blue suit up.

David Jablonski in The DDN does a great job illustrating my point:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...uEilhb8prDt1O/

The one outlier in all of UD’s A-10 tilts was the game @ SLU, where the Flyers totally sucked from start to finish. After that road stinker, “FTS” put a mental check mark next to the rematch and made plans to be there in person to witness the revenge return trip.

So, will the Flyers mimic the killer Millennium Force roller coaster or the totally smooth Lake Erie & Cedar Point RR ride? We are about to find out.

The UD Arena is a sea of red as today’s tilt is a “Red Out.” Chatted with John R before the game and he is lot happier with the color scheme vs. last week’s “White Out” vs. VCU.

The crowd is ready to rock. The student section is full. What’s not to like?

I really enjoyed the Obie dunks and the rest of the team jumps pre-game ritual that the Flyers have adopted. The UD pre-announcement video and new and improved music ain’t too bad either. The student section is hopping in anticipation. This is a big-time college basketball environment.

The good news is that SLU didn’t start out on a 10-0 run like last time. UD is 1-4 on three pointers and Josh has touched the ball once. The good guys lead 6-5 at the under 16 media TO.

SLU benefits from a desperation 3 by Goodwin as the shot clock was running out and leads 13-9 with 11 minutes to go. The Flyers are still jacking too many threes early in the shot clock—I’m looking at you Ryan Mikesell.

Obi is riding the pine and SLU extends their lead to 17-9 with under 7:00 remaining. Having Frankie, Trey and Dwayne on the floor at the same time is not an optimal offensive unit. It’s about time to wake up fellas.

Five minutes without a basket ends with a Mikesell triple. The Flyers are crawling back, down 19-14 with 3:06 to go and Josh at the line for two freebies…and he makes them both! Down to 21-19 as Mikesell gets the hoop, the harm and converts on the FT.

Jalen Crutcher finally delivers a three in UD’s last possession and the Flyers regain the lead 22-21 at intermission. I believe that is the first time this season that Crutch has converted before the halftime buzzer sounded.

For the first half UD shot 33% from the field, 3-11 from three (27%) and got outboarded 19-17. Not a pretty 20 minutes.

UD enjoys a 36-32 bulge with 15 and ½ to go. Flyer Super Fan Tom Hirt was recognized at the TO. He and his family seem to travel everywhere with the team and he is a veteran of the Twitter Al—Star Pickup Extravaganza put on by David Jablonski every year. Good for you THirt!

At the under 12 UD leads SLU 47-40. Jalen Crutcher is feeling it now as he hits a three described as “from the Marriott across the river” by the CBS Sports Net announcers (according to Mrs. Swampy).

Matt Schwade on Trey’s triple: “Oh no!” Yes! UD up 56-48 at the under 8. UD is up to 48% on triples thanks to Jalen’s 4-8. SLU big man French fouls out on a Trey Landers bucket. Obi restores order with a length of the floor layup for his double/double. UD up 66-58 with 1:13 on the clock.

It’s parade to the foul line time for UD. Crutcher’s one FT gives UD a 9-point advantage. Obi splits a pair. Ballgame.

Final:

UD 70
SLU 62

It was worth the trip!

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools