UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,412 Times in 2,484 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
AVCA Poll

UD should return to the Top 25 this season, but don’t expect them to be in the preseason poll which is released today (8/13). If coaches from Pitt, FL, MI, Louisville and MO along with any A10 coaches are on the voting committee this year, we might get a Recieving Votes mention in preseason. The Pitt coach knows we will be good. He’s played us the last three years. He knows we’ve been missing key players due to injury and (cross our fingers) those players are healthy right now. Otherwise we are flying under the radar right now. With our tough OOC schedule, we won’t be for long if we knockoff some of these teams, which I think we can. My prediction is we will be ranked after the second week of play - the Dayton Invite with MO, MI and No ILL. That follows a brutal week against FL, Louisville and TXAM. FL, Louisville, MO and MI should all be ranked/RV in the preseason poll and TXAM will also be very tough.

Some interesting stats on the poll which started in 1982:

Only 19 schools have ever been ranked #1. There are around 330 DI schools.
NE has been ranked #1 99 times.
Penn State is second on that list - 95 times
Stanford has won the most National titles - 8 - and I expect Stanford to be #1 this afternoon.
NE and Stanford have been ranked in the top 25 the most - 542 times.
It surprised me that Penn St was #6 on this list - 492 times ranked in the Top 25
In resent years, I’ve thought UD’s program has been on par with Colorado State. I was surprised by the following...CSU needs one more week to be only the 14th school to have been ranked in the Top 25 - 300 weeks. That might come today. They are expected to be good this year.

Only 14 schools that have consistently been ranked over the years, but it’s good to see a program like CSU on that list.
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2019, 03:36 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,412 Times in 2,484 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Pre-season

UD opponents:

#10 Florida
#12 Pittsburgh (Exhibition)
#15 Michigan
#25 Louisville

Receiving Votes

Missouri (100 Votes-technically#26), Cincinnati (6 Votes)

Full poll

https://www.avca.org/polls/di-women/8-13-2019.html

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 08-14-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-13-2019)