UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball > Archived Seasonal Game Threads > 2010-2011 Game Threads

2010-2011 Game Threads Specific threads dedicated to each home and away game for UD Men's Basketball.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JDflyer View Post
I'm starting to really like how Spearman plays basketball end to end....and I notice the student section still likes to cheer the USA chant for out of country players.
Well that is not completely true.........as a gray hair sitting near the students I started it and they picked it up......got an elbow from the wife and laughter from people around me
Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ManhattanFlyer (11-17-2010)
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Colonel

lilrudy4787 will become famous soon enough
Good to see that willie morris has completely surpressed the student section yet. still would like to see some more j@ckass chants though
Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris Johnson has me very confused as to why he is standing around on offense in the corner. When someone else shoots he goes to the boards and then he is down the floor playing defense.

If this was last year with that point production we would of been toast. Has anyone heard if anything is wrong with him.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by masonflyer View Post
Funny that we were worried about post defense this year. We gave up all of 8 two point baskets tonight. Granted part of that was our paranoia of giving up the easy basket and doubling down, but an adjustment could me made during the game.

The biggest problem with the defense is our stubbornness of bringing the big man out to hedge a ball screen 30 feet from the basket. It never forces a turnover and almost always gives up an open look because the floor is so opened up. Just let them set their little screen out there and go around it to the basket side and problem solved.
Bingo....I will get into an analysis tomorrow....but our defensive rotation was garbage tonight. There were plenty of positives, but a wee bit of a double double is negated when you get beat off the dribble two out of three possessions at the same place on the floor....bad rotation ends up givng up offensive boards as well due to bad position. They have to tighten it up or they are going to be in trouble against some good teams. Akron was also a pretty solid team.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Captain

vclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond reputevclark34 has a reputation beyond repute
One great thing I took away from this game was that even with Chris Johnson having a tough game, we were still able to keep up on offense with a team that shot absolutly lights out. Also even though our D was a little slow on rotations and closing to shooters it did come through for us late in the game were Cj got that great block and we had a big steal as well.
Searcy continues to play great, he is playing much stronger than last year on D and is living up to his potential on offense.Also even though Kav played limited minutes he had some great hustle plays out there.
All in all good win for the Flyers.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Some thoughts

When we manned up on them at the arc in the last 11 minutes, they shot 1 for 8 from 3pt.
We showed better last-8-minute defense to win the game.

CJ is not going to get 8/9 rebounds when CW and DS are pulling down double digits. This is the same criticism KW got everytime Finn got double digit rebounds. If the team as a whole beats the opponent on the boards, and two guys get 10 or more, somebody will fall short of their usual quota. What's the difference whether two guys get 11 each, or 3 bigs get 7/8 each? Not an issue. Josh Parker usually gets 5 rebounds and last night he got 1.
Not an issue. The team won the battle of the boards.

Free throws will hurt us at some point if we don't get better, but the big picture last night is we made ten and they made ten.

Our pressure finally got to them. In the last 10 minutes they stopped making 3's, turned the ball over, missed some freethrows, and had trouble getting good looks on offense.

We are a defensive work-in-process, but we are not bad.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
The right player started last year and now this year.

Just remember, that's your opinion. I thought Kurt brought more toughness and was a better defender than Devin last year. I'm not whining, I'm thoroughly happy what Devin has shown us so far. Clearly, banging around with Kurt everyday in practice made Devin a better player. He's a better rebounder than Kurt - I don't know how anyone can argue that. Also, I'm just saying that we had a huge hole offensive in the middle and I would have just liked to see more of what Devin could have done to combat that....that's it. No reason for people to get bent out of shape about it. Geez....I guess if you have a minority opinion around here, you are a freaking leper.

Last edited by Buster Goode; 11-17-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (11-17-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Just remember, that's your opinion. I thought Kurt brought more toughness and was a better defender than Devin last year. I'm not whining, I'm thoroughly happy what Devin has shown us so far. Clearly, banging around with Kurt everyday in practice made Devin a better player. He's a better rebounder than Kurt - I don't know how anyone can argue that. Also, I'm just saying that we had a huge hole offensive in the middle and I would have just liked to see more of what Devin could have done to combat that....that's it. No reason for people to get bent out of shape about it. Geez....I guess if you have a minority opinion around here, you are a freaking leper.
I have no issue with this statement, and I think it's a terrific post. I completely agree that I am thoroughly happy with DS so far this year and DS certainly brings some things into play that Kurt didn't bring. you're previous posts did not come across in the same spirit and I took a little umbrage with that...
"what could have been.....what could have been....

Devin Searcy suppressed on the bench behind Huelsman for three years.

Two double-doubles in first two games as a starter. Does anyone know how many double-doubles Huelsman had in four years?"
suppressed on the bench? The offense is definitely different this year because of personnel - when you change out 5 players who get significant minutes everything will be different. why not simply point out the fact that DS seems to be really stepping it up when we need it this season rather than bringing up what might have been and making what could clearly be perceived as a slight towards Kurt. There are too many other factors that come into play here. From my perspective, Devin is playing at a completely different level than what I saw out of him last year - and that is fantastic.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying and i just wanted to explain where I was coming from.

Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-17-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The above post was/is precisely the issue Buster.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode
He's a better rebounder than Kurt - I don't know how anyone can argue that.
He does get more rebounds than Kurt, but When Kurt would box out and put a body on opposing players, guys like CJ would come in and get the rebounds that DS is grabbing on his own - so I don't know if we're necessarily getting more boards from the play from that position