User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 03:21 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I love that Josh's two weaknesses are his weight and three point shooting. He has a year and a half to correct both of those, which he should be able to do. Encouraging that he does shoot from the outside, but just needs improvement.

Sentenced to a year at the Rollo School of Muscle and the Archie School of Three Point Shooting.

Anyone know anything about his defense?
I think I saw that he's a 59% FT shooter? That's another major weakness.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (06-12-2015)
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2015, 04:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Another correctable one though. I would think that Archie and his staff's ability to improve players will become a major recruiting point with transfers and high schoolers. That goes great with team success and visibility
Old 06-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Josh's reasons for selecting UD

It's always interesting to listen for the actual drivers that went into the players final decision.

1) He mentions "success on the court" which implies the whole body of work the last few years and not just the E8.

2) "Family atmosphere" (which Illinois would have a tough time matching).

3) "Size of the school" .

4) "Kyle and Kendall's influence on the campus visit" (Kyle being from Morgan Park also, and Pollard & Davis being Chicago guys).

That's all I've read that he has mentioned but it goes with saying that coaches, facilities, campus, et. al. are also factors. (Tom Ostrom in particular).

If anyone has read anything additional, please share it.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (06-13-2015), Bonziflyer (06-12-2015), DaytonInsider (06-14-2015), Glen Clark (06-12-2015), TMPH66 (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
http://daytonflyers.com/news/2015/6/...612153001.aspx

Coach sounds excited.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-13-2015), Runnin' Rebel (06-13-2015), San Diego Flyer (06-13-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 10:34 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of
A great get by all accounts. Hope free throw shooting (57%) will be one his areas of improvement in his year off.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Flyer 79 View Post
A great get by all accounts. Hope free throw shooting (57%) will be one his areas of improvement in his year off.
Can we get a 2-for-1 deal and get Cunningham and Pollard into the same FT clinic? In all seriousness, Archie himself would seem to be the ideal teacher for FT technique. Does it get to the point with someone like Pollard where it's "too late" to change? Or can we hope to see Kendall change that stroke and hit somewhere in the upper 60's?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:15 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I heard he has bad gas. Can Archie fix this too? Oh Archie!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
Can we get a 2-for-1 deal and get Cunningham and Pollard into the same FT clinic? In all seriousness, Archie himself would seem to be the ideal teacher for FT technique. Does it get to the point with someone like Pollard where it's "too late" to change? Or can we hope to see Kendall change that stroke and hit somewhere in the upper 60's?
I think many of you know my thoughts on this. IMHO it is never too late to change your shooting mechanics. But, it is painful and would take months during the off season to perfect it.

I remember a comment from BG about an opposing player. BG said that the previous year they didn't guard him and the next year he was leading the A10 in field goal percentage. He told his players something like "can you imagine how hard this guy worked in the gym"
Old 06-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Cunningham, Josh: CUJO.

Best I got for the all-important nickname.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (06-13-2015), FLYER5 (06-13-2015), FlyerYouBetcha (06-14-2015), Gazoo (06-14-2015), San Diego Flyer (06-13-2015), ud2 (06-14-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post

Cunningham ... The Great Hambino

Old 06-13-2015, 10:51 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
What Archie wants, Archie gets. The longer this recruitment went the more I thought it favored Arch in the end. He's an original, and he's convincing kids he's got lightning in a bottle at UD.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post

Awesome nickname in my opinion.

If CUJO is as mean on the floor as he was in the movie, we are in for a real treat.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-16-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 11:01 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
So many weapons to use in recruiting now. I hate to say it but we now have the portfolio that X had for so many years over us. We have NCAA successes, NBA ex-players, a floor coach that is nationally recognized, year to year winning success, facilities second to none (which X never had and still doesn't), full house for home games, beautiful campus, and passionate administration for continuing our winning tradition. We now have a deep lineup without the necessity of a Freshman hero to fill holes in our lineup. The pipeline is full.

It's a great time to be a Flyer.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buick-Flyer (06-14-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-14-2015), Sarge (06-14-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Hear here!
Old 06-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree but what will we ever have to complain about on these posts?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
I agree but what will we ever have to complain about on these posts?
Well, let's see....
ESPN hasn't reported Josh committing to Dayton over Illinois, but they are making it known about other commits, and transfers.
It's always nice to get a little publicity.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 AM

Talking Some interesting Illinois message board posts

"Dayton has made recent trips to the NCAA tournament...not the NIT. If we land Cunningham it will be a nice surprise since Miller(at the moment) has had more recent success than Groce. IMO Cunningham would contribute something after his sit out year whether it be here or there."

-----------------------------------------------------
"I have mixed feelings on the Cunningham offer. In reality had we never offered him a scholarship I would have been fine. However now that we have, if he doesn't take it I'll be more upset that we were passed over once again, and beat out by Dayton, than being upset over him not being on our team."
-----------------------------------------------------

"LoL, now losing recruiting battles to Dayton! "

--------------------------------------------------------

"I'm so confused, I thought that Illinois was the best option for every athlete."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so it goes. While the poor Illini trash their coach and look forward to a birth in the CBI next season, Archie lands a haymaker on them.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
It's going to take a few more seasons of duplicating the recent success before the pompous fans of any of these name of a state schools give Dayton any respect. Recruits are starting to take notice, and that's the important thing. If Archie keeps reeling in 4 star (or God forbid 5's) talent who choose UD over one or more of the State Name Schools maybe the respect time frame gets sped up. That being said, the vitriol will get much more crass and vulgar before it gets better.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
So now reading the posts on the Illinois message board and dissatisfaction with their coach, when Groche gets fired, we know now who the Illinois posters who will want as their new coach.