UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Politics

Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic08 View Post
good post...and i agree. though i can definitely see presidents not all on the same page on who to add. so for me...its not so much that they're going to take this extra year to evaluate us...as much as its how much politics is involved and can curran/wabler convince them to go with dayton say over a richmond.

like you i would love to hear them announce the plans all in 1 swoop...but even having to wait until june/july still leaves you worried because again who knows how much politics is going on. so much could change.
I would match Curran up against anyone when it comes to politics on an otherwise level playing field. It's the Jesuit connection that may be the show stopper.

As for contrarian thinking, of the C7, four are not Jesuit schools. Add X and BU to get to nine and then four are Jesuit schools, four are other Catholic orders and one non-Catholic.

Creighton and SLU are Jesuit schools. Does that give them an advantage? Probably with the four other Jesuit schools...but maybe not with the other four Catholics. Maybe not. Depends, I suppose, on how thick the politics really is.

Again, I'm back to footprint. Look at a map. As for area covered, adding UD adds little if anything to the footprint. In contrast, both CU and SLU significantly expand the conference footprint....a word that one hears often in connection with TV.

But, adding any of those schools to get to 12 makes the Big EAST primarily a mid-western conference, with 7 from that area and 5 from the east coast. Would they really want that? Seems to me that a six-and-six arrangement would have more appeal. And I'm not sure these guys want to be thought of as a "Catholic" conference. Adding a Richmond or equivalent to go with Butler would help in that regard.

Sad to say, I can't think of a single thing that UD brings to the table that the C7 wants or needs. Our excellent olympic sports, facilities and fan support are "nice". But those are certainly not C7 "needs",....or primary "wants".
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rick Scaia View Post
These are university presidents making the decisions, here, not diptards from sportstalk radio who lack the attention span and critical thinking ability to synthesize information from longer than 4 days ago.
Yes, university presidents have done such a rational, intelligent job of handling the conference realignments.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I would match Curran up against anyone when it comes to politics on an otherwise level playing field. It's the Jesuit connection that may be the show stopper.

As for contrarian thinking, of the C7, four are not Jesuit schools. Add X and BU to get to nine and then four are Jesuit schools, four are other Catholic orders and one non-Catholic.

Creighton and SLU are Jesuit schools. Does that give them an advantage? Probably with the four other Jesuit schools...but maybe not with the other four Catholics. Maybe not. Depends, I suppose, on how thick the politics really is.
Actually only two of the C7 schools are Jesuit, the other five are not.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (03-04-2013), UACFlyer (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,079 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I'm back to footprint. Look at a map. As for area covered, adding UD adds little if anything to the footprint. In contrast, both CU and SLU significantly expand the conference footprint....a word that one hears often in connection with TV.

But, adding any of those schools to get to 12 makes the Big EAST primarily a mid-western conference, with 7 from that area and 5 from the east coast. Would they really want that? Seems to me that a six-and-six arrangement would have more appeal. And I'm not sure these guys want to be thought of as a "Catholic" conference. Adding a Richmond or equivalent to go with Butler would help in that regard.

Sad to say, I can't think of a single thing that UD brings to the table that the C7 wants or needs. Our excellent olympic sports, facilities and fan support are "nice". But those are certainly not C7 "needs",....or primary "wants".
TV eyeballs is a Need, perhaps the only need, of FOX. And FOX seems to be driving the bus on picking c7 teams. It seems to me that "butts in the seats" and "eyeballs on the the TV" would be highly correlated so how could we deliver the first and not deliver the latter?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Define huge. There are about 6000 alumni that call all of NY, NJ and CT home. In all of IL it is just under 6000. One would probably be better off touting the Cleveland market.
Yes. That are active participants in the Alumni Association. Now add all those grads that are not active members, then yes it is huge.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM
1st Lieutenant

415 Kiefaber is a glorious beacon of light415 Kiefaber is a glorious beacon of light415 Kiefaber is a glorious beacon of light415 Kiefaber is a glorious beacon of light415 Kiefaber is a glorious beacon of light415 Kiefaber is a glorious beacon of light
I have seen several university presidents in action. While I believe Curran has done many things to move UD in a positive direction, he is an average "politician" in my humble opinion. I hope that I am way off, but I am concerned that our president does not have the influence needed to sway presidents at the Catholic 7 schools.

My hope is that this will be a great opportunity for Dr. Curran’s leadership and political acumen to show up and shine!

Go UD!

Last edited by 415 Kiefaber; 03-03-2013 at 09:56 PM..
Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Best advice in this article...

"Stay tuned," he said. "Not much else to tell them, because this is clearly a situation that an event of great significance will either happen or won't happen. In terms of this separation, two halves of the Big East, it certainly feels like it's going to happen, but I've just told them all to sit by and wait until we know whether it does."

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/stor...84&src=desktop
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone joining for 2014/15 will be announcing within the next 3 to 4 months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Captain

axehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really nice
Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
Best advice in this article...

"Stay tuned," he said. "Not much else to tell them, because this is clearly a situation that an event of great significance will either happen or won't happen. In terms of this separation, two halves of the Big East, it certainly feels like it's going to happen, but I've just told them all to sit by and wait until we know whether it does."

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/stor...84&src=desktop
Whenever there is uncertainty, N.D. is often swimming in the water. See the quote ""And if they were interested in accommodating us, it would certainly be a viable option."
I believe Fox is pushing for N.D. for the 10th team if only for one year. Also if N.D. could (unlikely) be convinced to join permanently, the ten team league could stand.

Different source but a lot of the same. see below.

Notre Dame wants to talk to Catholic 7
By The Sports Xchange | The SportsXchange – Fri, Mar 1, 2013 10:11 PM EST

As negotiations between the Big East and breakaway Catholic 7 schools proceed, there already is talk of adding another famous catholic school to the newly forming league....

Last edited by Chris R; 03-03-2013 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: please only post snippets from 3rd party articles. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Thanked 6,163 Times in 4,196 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Another jersey guy update this evening. I'll be glad when this is all over, regardless of what happens.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5423
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone else heard the rumor that Dayton is looking into joining the remnance of the Big East if we don't get an invite to join the new Big East. I saw this on the A10 board but apparently it originated on another thread.

If the rumor is true, it does not reflect well on the administration's confidence in our chances to make it into the new league.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 PM

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,079 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Another jersey guy update this evening. I'll be glad when this is all over, regardless of what happens.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5423
wow the three football schools left standing will get about 25 million each out of this deal. That is a nice consolation prize.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM

Thanked 17,143 Times in 5,114 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Has anyone else heard the rumor that Dayton is looking into joining the remnance of the Big East if we don't get an invite to join the new Big East. I saw this on the A10 board but apparently it originated on another thread.

If the rumor is true, it does not reflect well on the administration's confidence in our chances to make it into the new league.
Some person coming up with yet another idea to add to the 50 other possible outcomes. Someone will end up being right if you sling enough mud on the wall.

Going to the football Big East would be an unmitigated disaster. The entire reason that league just shattered into a million pieces is because football schools run roughshot over basketball schools. They cannot co-exist. Basketball schools cannot compete with football money. Dayton would be a sitting duck to have to compete against the bottomless pit of football money. Though whatever money the football Big East now gets will surely be less than it was.

Do you really want Dayton running to a league that saw about 12 schools just abandon ship on? Including 7 hoops only schools? Talk about buying a ticket on the Lusitania. Everyone else is running out the front door of the house fire, and UD wants to move our things in. That would be a doozy to wrap my brain around.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-04-2013), bobber (03-04-2013), UACFlyer (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Curren---UAC?

****UAC, I don't get your arguements regarding this issue. I won't check previous postings by you but at one point in either this thread or another---you were arguing that an issue of this nature was of such a lofty level (high level), that it was above Tim Wabler's pay grade and only someone with the clout/expertise etc. of Dr. Curren could be "really" in charge of the process for UD with the other Universities involved in the C7 issue--and that was indeed the case in terms of any discussions!

I believe that was soon after news of our possible inclusion in the new league broke or near that time frame. I know that I commented to you that Tim Wabler was a very capable guy----and that I was sure that Tim Wabler also was instrumental in the "process" on behalf of the University of Dayton. Honestly, you made it sound like only a guy like Dr. Curren (with all of his successes, talent, clout etc.) could be in charge of this for UD........

Now, after the news doesn't seem as rosy (possibly), I come back and there's multiple comments by you making it sound like The University of Dayton quite possibly had "no real chance" of becoming an "invited member" of the "new big east" because of things like the "jesuit" issue, market share, etc.?

Thus, Dr. Curren shouldn't be "blamed" IF we do not get an invite??

Which is it?

It seems apparent that you must work for the guy or something? If we get an invite----Curren deserves all the "credit" but if that doesn't occur---than "we never had a real shot" and it really had nothing to do with Dr. Curren's skill, connections, clout, lack thereof etc?

What am I missing--other than the most recent discussion(s) about our possibly NOT be included OR included?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,162 Times in 2,320 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer69ers View Post
(There used to be a "Knick Train" from UD to NY for the holidays - maybe still is)
There is absolutely no passenger train service in Dayton. You'd have to head down to Cincinnati, and catch a 3am Amtrak to take 16-20 hours to get into New York City's Penn Station via Washington. I've thought about it, but when I can drive across I80 in 12-13 hours from Dayton to Long Island, there's no need to take 3-7 hours longer on a train.

Or you can go upto Cleveland to grab a train through Albany, or Pittsburgh/Philly.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Some person coming up with yet another idea to add to the 50 other possible outcomes. Someone will end up being right if you sling enough mud on the wall.

Going to the football Big East would be an unmitigated disaster. The entire reason that league just shattered into a million pieces is because football schools run roughshot over basketball schools. They cannot co-exist. Basketball schools cannot compete with football money. Dayton would be a sitting duck to have to compete against the bottomless pit of football money. Though whatever money the football Big East now gets will surely be less than it was.

Do you really want Dayton running to a league that saw about 12 schools just abandon ship on? Including 7 hoops only schools? Talk about buying a ticket on the Lusitania. Everyone else is running out the front door of the house fire, and UD wants to move our things in. That would be a doozy to wrap my brain around.
I disagree. The BE football and basketball schools coexisted very successfully for many years. The BE began in 1979. Football was introduced in 1991. That's over 20 years of successful coexistence.

The reason that the BE broke up was because the c7 were not happy with the new additions to the conference, the c7 felt that the new additions were degrading the conference. If some combination of Pitt/Syracuse/West Virginia were still in the BE, the c7 would probably still be in the BE today, and no breakup would have occurred. The BE turning down ESPN's big tv contract offer also played a big part in the breakup.

The new BE, or whatever you want to call it, will still have Cincinnati, Connecticut, Memphis, Temple, and USF. Even if you lose both UC's to the ACC, you still have Memphis, Temple, and USF. In addition, Houston, SMU, and Central Florida may have some potential.

The new A10, depending on what happens, may only have VCU, St. Joe's, and Dayton. Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, LaSalle, and GW have had some success at times too.

I definitely think UD should consider membership of some sort, whether it be basketball-only or all sports, in the new BE. If the new A10 adds some good schools though, the new BE may end up being of about the same quality as the new A10. Depending on who the A10 adds though, Dayton and Duquesne may end up being the only midwestern schools in the new A10.

Again, the new BE and the new A10 will probably end up being about equivalent in terms of basketball quality if Cincinnati and Connecticut move to the ACC. If both UC's stay in the new BE, then the new BE will be better than the new A10.

New BE:
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Memphis
Temple
USF
Central Florida
Houston
SMU
Tulane

New A10:
Dayton | FlyerHoops.net
Duquesne | OnTheBluff.com
Fordham
Geo. Washington
La Salle
Rhode Island
St. Joseph's
St. Bonaventure
VCU

Potentially gone: Butler, Xavier, Richmond, St. Louis, Charlotte, UMass, and Temple

Last edited by ud2; 03-04-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Misunderstanding me....

Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
****UAC, I don't get your arguements regarding this issue. I won't check previous postings by you but at one point in either this thread or another---you were arguing that an issue of this nature was of such a lofty level (high level), that it was above Tim Wabler's pay grade and only someone with the clout/expertise etc. of Dr. Curren could be "really" in charge of the process for UD with the other Universities involved in the C7 issue--and that was indeed the case in terms of any discussions!

I believe that was soon after news of our possible inclusion in the new league broke or near that time frame. I know that I commented to you that Tim Wabler was a very capable guy----and that I was sure that Tim Wabler also was instrumental in the "process" on behalf of the University of Dayton. Honestly, you made it sound like only a guy like Dr. Curren (with all of his successes, talent, clout etc.) could be in charge of this for UD........

Now, after the news doesn't seem as rosy (possibly), I come back and there's multiple comments by you making it sound like The University of Dayton quite possibly had "no real chance" of becoming an "invited member" of the "new big east" because of things like the "jesuit" issue, market share, etc.?

Thus, Dr. Curren shouldn't be "blamed" IF we do not get an invite??

Which is it?

It seems apparent that you must work for the guy or something? If we get an invite----Curren deserves all the "credit" but if that doesn't occur---than "we never had a real shot" and it really had nothing to do with Dr. Curren's skill, connections, clout, lack thereof etc?

What am I missing--other than the most recent discussion(s) about our possibly NOT be included OR included?
B-Ball Fan, I think you have misunderstood my meaning. Just as the C7 presidents are calling the shots for that group, I was stating that Dan Curran should be the one at the point for UD.

And if we don't get an invite,....as seems probable,...I will not be "blaming" anyone. I wouldn't be thrilled to learn that UD didn't do everything possible...but, I'm sure that's not the case.

Re the Jesuit issue, previously I had not thought of that. With SLU and CU being Jesuit schools, that's just one more (small?) issue we have to face.

I think the very biggest issue(s) blocking Dayton is our average BB performance compared to X and BU, for example, and...more important, our proximity to those schools. Nothing Curran or Wabler can do about that.

Some Priders have insisted that Dayton's TV situation is as good or better than SLU's (probably no better than CU's, which is a lot like Dayton.) I don't know if that's true or not. But, if true, it could be important if we are significantly better....it's too important to speculate about.

I think UD should hire the most prominent, most respected TV market research firm in the country to thoroughly analyze the market reaslities of SLU, CU and, indeed, all the C7 schools. We may not like the result. But, if it turns out to be favorable, that firm should then prepare an iron clad, bullet proof presentation/proposal for the C7 presidents and Fox to provide an objective, third party factual analysis. (I doubt if the results would favor UD...but it's too important to be guessing about...we've got to know.)

As for my connection with Curran....none,...I am so imopressed with the guy because of how he has transformed our U.)

Hope this helps clarify my views.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Looking at the potential scenarios again, if Cincinnati and Connecticut both end up in the ACC, I would think that the new BE may have to merge with Conference USA or the new BE may have to poach CUSA or some other conference. This whole thing is sort of hard to keep track of.

The new BE would be down to 7 full members if both UC's leave:

Memphis
Temple
USF
Central Florida
Houston
SMU
Tulane

Conference USA:

East Carolina-joining new BE for football in 2014
Marshall
Rice
Southern Miss
Tulsa
UAB
UTEP

8 future members of CUSA joining in 2013:

Charlotte
Florida Atlantic
Floirda International
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee State
North Texas
Old Dominion
Texas San Antonio

Last edited by ud2; 03-04-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Old 03-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,770 Times in 934 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
You would think CUSA wants nothing to do with the Old Big East after all of this nonsense. Plus if they merged it would be a massive conference (26 teams if you count Navy, ECU, UC, UConn, and USF).
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry if this has been posted.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/tee...911,full.story

Good read and sounds like UD is in.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Major

westchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post

Looks like this requires a subscription.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post

ummm anyone else not able to view the article? telling us we gotta sign up for something to read it
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
browsing over at that holylandofhoops site and saw these two posts from today...

"People think this is fluid whereas I've been told it is not. The teams were decided long ago. Nothing has changed. Lot of details and contracts to draft but the core of the decision has remained constant.

Again, this is just what I'm hearing but what the reports are saying now is pretty much what I heard a couple of months ago."

"I hear the same-3 teams in for next season and UD and STL for the 2014 season-have been hearing it's been a done deal for quite some time."

who knows what anyone knows...just adding to more of the speculation.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerFanatic08 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-04-2013), Flyer 86 (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM

runnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to all
ummm anyone else not able to view the article? telling us we gotta sign up for something to read it
No luck here.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:34 PM

Thanked 15,910 Times in 6,994 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I did a quick cut-and-paste in the 5 seconds we were allowed to view the article...here's the key paragraph:

"The so-called Catholic 7 -- basketball-centric, faith-based schools splitting from the old Big East – of Georgetown, Providence, Marquette, Seton Hall, DePaul, St. John’s and Villanova – are, according to ESPN, set to add the A-10’s Butler and Xavier as early as Wednesday, with perhaps Dayton, Saint Louis and the Missouri Valley’s Creighton to follow."

I'm not sure 'perhaps' means we're in so this article is nothing more than a repeat of everything else we've been reading.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry got it off of twitter feed.

Atlantic 10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade smiled wryly when asked Saturday if someone might declare a cease-fire from college sports’ relentless conference realignment raids.
“If there is a call,” she said, “I haven't gotten the memo yet.”
McGlade huddled with five reporters prior to Saturday’s marquee A-10 basketball game between visiting Butler and VCU, amid reports that at least two and as many as four league schools soon will announce their intention to join the new Big East.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM

Well, shouldn't that article say as many as 5, not 4, A10 schools going to the c7, unless it has already been determined that Creighton is in?

5: Xavier, Butler, Dayton, St. Louis, and Richmond or VCU.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Captain

FSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really nice
You may be right...FSU is closer to B12 schools than WVU.

Interesting that the B12 is sitting still, not with 14 schools, or 12, but with ten! They seem happy with ten.

Can that last? Doesn't seem likely. If they move, I agree, FSU would be a likely target. But, suppose the B12 does have its eye on FSU....indeed, FSU is the #1 target. FSU would also jump at an SEC invitation...in fact, that would be much better for them. That being the case, can the B12 sit on its hands thinking that it can nab FSU any time it wants...the way the ACC knows it can have either UC any time it wants?

The Big 12 seems so content to sit and watch.

Odd.
I think FSU is positioning itself to be the lynchpin of ACC instability. If the SEC and Big Ten truly have their eyes on an ACC expansion, the best way to jumpstart it is to get FSU to leave. The ACC won't be long for the world after it's largest tv revenue generator just bounced. Joining the Big 12 as another other than a last resort would be a colossal failure.

===============

The Big East just needs to go to 13 by adding Dayton, Butler, Creighton, Richmond, Saint Louis and Xavier. Sets up for a division-less conference where you can play every school 3 times every 2 years with an 18-game schedule.

Last edited by FSUFlyer; 03-04-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Well, shouldn't that article say as many as 5, not 4, A10 schools going to the c7, unless it has already been determined that Creighton is in?

I think the general consensus is that A) Creighton will be the 10th team and B) VCU is no longer a legitimate candidate (debatable as to whether they actually ever were).
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FSUFlyer View Post
The Big East just needs to go to 13 by adding Dayton, Butler, Creighton, Richmond, Saint Louis and Xavier. Sets up for a division-less conference where you can play every school 3 times every 2 years with an 18-game schedule.
Agree. I said awhile back they should just go to 14 and throw in VCU too - giving them seven in the East and seven in the Midwest.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke with someone in the VCU athletic dept. this past weekend. VCU is out, Dayton is in. His words. Take it for what it is worth.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-05-2013), bobber (03-04-2013), hawkoooo (03-04-2013), jpk4ud (03-04-2013), Medford (03-04-2013), rollo (03-04-2013), TA111 (03-04-2013), ud2 (03-04-2013), UDEE79 (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
the sad part of this no matter of how it plays out is that if the A14 after Temple and Charlotte were to kick out (Lasalle, Fordham, SBU and Duquesne) it would have been a great conference.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Let me go on the record before an official announcement is made saying that I hope and pray that we get invited to the C7-BE Conference...but not for the reason anyone has ever discussed here.

The one reason we need to be added is so that when the BCS boys decide to start their own NCAA Basketball Tournament, we still have a shot to eventually qualify.

BCS football is what, 119 teams? To qualify for BCS football you need minimum requirements with attendance and scholarships...but you see no restrictions with NCAA D1 basketball...

It is my firm belief that in the future...distant...the big shots in basketball will also want to form their own basketball tournament. Of course the BCS Conference members will be automatically eligible...and there's no doubt they'd have to invite the Marquette's and G'towns of the world, too..and maybe a handful of others (memphis, byu, gonazaga who will also be doing all in their power to move around and up). Anyone who's not in the 4 (or 6) major BCS football/basketball Conferences or C7-BE is potentially going to be on the outside looking in.

If we're left in the A10 it's only a matter of time until we're potentially designated as D1-AA, which due to perception is a program killer.

So if we're invited I'm now on the record as being excited while at the same time saying we don't deserve it, haven't earned it and are going to struggle madly for a long, long time.

But as a fighter, I believe that option is better than being left out of the ring completely.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM

From the Marquette board.

C7 featured on ESPN's Outside the Lines

Pitino:

C7 Deserve the BE name
C7 Deserves the MSG tourney home
C7 should have been fed up and left 3 years ago
C7 is getting a great deal from Fox
Football rules sports

Katz:

Fox Deal is driving this to start '13-14
Fox Insists on Xavier and Butler
Fox Working to get Creighton in this year
Fox wants to add SLU and Gonzaga
GU wants another eastern seaboard program

Fox may want 16 teams over time
C7 won't cut check; Will leave majority of Tourney Units (Tourney Units pay out over 6 years)
Remaining Schools (RS) will need ECU & USNA to come in as full members
UND & Louisville will join ACC this fall

Andrew Brandt (Sports Law at Nova; former GB Packer Exec)

BE Name highly valuable
WSJ puts value in excess of $500MM
Brand Equity is in Fox Deal
C7 will flourish financially

Originally Posted by Buick-Flyer View Post
Did anyone else see the 'Outside the Lines' segment to confirm the above? I don't trust anything from the Marquette board.
You were right Buick, the info on the Marquette board was wrong.

Originally Posted by flyerfever View Post
No mention of Gonzaga. Ley did mention SLU and Dayton early on in this podcast as additional members in 14/15. No mention of Gtown wanting an east coast member. Everything else was pretty much as has been speculated...Fox wants the splash next season with their new networks. Something may happen in the sponsor roll out on Tuesday.

Andy Katz did mention that Creighton's buy out was quite a bit less than what X and Butler have to pay, and they think the Jays are the 10th team

Quoted Pitino as mentioned above. Discussed how the money issues may be addressed via the tourney money that is disbursed over 6 years.

Check it out...it's about 10 minutes with Ley and Katz.
Thanks.

I have no idea why the stuff posted on the Marquette board was presented as having been actually discussed in Outside the Lines.

I don't get it, it looks like the poster was lying? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I didn't listen to the Outside the Lines show, but it sounds like Gonzaga to the c7 wasn't discussed, GU wanting another eastern seaboard program wasn't discussed, and Fox wanting 16 teams eventually wasn't discussed.

Last edited by ud2; 03-04-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Size of the pie...

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Agree. I said awhile back they should just go to 14 and throw in VCU too - giving them seven in the East and seven in the Midwest.
If it's "all about money", as seems to be the case, every school that is added above the minimum (nine?) has to result in an increase in the money from TV sufficient to cover the additional slice of the pie that is required.

Understandably, a point is reached where the increase in TV revenue by adding a school reduces the amount the other schools receive because of the extra slice of the pie. When that occurs determines the maximum conference size.

For the new C7 conference is the "tipping point" size 10 schools, 11, 12, 13, 14? I don't know. It may be ten. More likely 12. I cannot envision that it will be financially beneficial for the new league to have more than 12 teams....maybe even that number is too high.

What do you think longtimer?

Re which schools, if all the schools mentioned are added, the conference becomes dominated by mid-west schools. I don't see that as attractive to the five east coast schools. Richmond is a good fit in a number of ways. Seems to me that UD would have no significant advantage over UR...and UR would provide geographic balance. For sure, VCU is a poor fit.

I wish I knew how important fan attendance, facilities and olympic sports are.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
It's a little more complicated than the typical analysis of the monetary benefits because of how badly the new FOX networks will need programming. More teams provides more programming.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (03-04-2013), TA111 (03-04-2013), UACFlyer (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Let me go on the record before an official announcement is made saying that I hope and pray that we get invited to the C7-BE Conference...but not for the reason anyone has ever discussed here.

The one reason we need to be added is so that when the BCS boys decide to start their own NCAA Basketball Tournament, we still have a shot to eventually qualify.

BCS football is what, 119 teams? To qualify for BCS football you need minimum requirements with attendance and scholarships...but you see no restrictions with NCAA D1 basketball...

It is my firm belief that in the future...distant...the big shots in basketball will also want to form their own basketball tournament. Of course the BCS Conference members will be automatically eligible...and there's no doubt they'd have to invite the Marquette's and G'towns of the world, too..and maybe a handful of others (memphis, byu, gonazaga who will also be doing all in their power to move around and up). Anyone who's not in the 4 (or 6) major BCS football/basketball Conferences or C7-BE is potentially going to be on the outside looking in.

If we're left in the A10 it's only a matter of time until we're potentially designated as D1-AA, which due to perception is a program killer.

So if we're invited I'm now on the record as being excited while at the same time saying we don't deserve it, haven't earned it and are going to struggle madly for a long, long time.

But as a fighter, I believe that option is better than being left out of the ring completely.
Rollo, I agree. At some point in the not to distant future the big boys may decide to go their own way in basketall, as they have done in football. Being in a top 10 conference then may be the only way to survive if that happens.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Captain

axehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really nice
I hope we are in and the announcement states as firmly as possible that 2014 is our year. Having said that, I was just reading expansion items on a Buckeye FB board and some poster with, oh yes (inside info) stating that Fox wants ND as a permanent member and is willing to pay $4 M per team.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM

Madness!

How could the C7 and new members agree to having Gonzaga as a member? It's clear why Fox would like to add Gonzaga. If that happens we know that the schools have sold their souls.

Traveling 2000-3000 miles to play volleyball, softball?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
I spoke with someone in the VCU athletic dept. this past weekend. VCU is out, Dayton is in. His words. Take it for what it is worth.
this someone you trust, i imagine?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
WOW!! Marquette has a real hard on against us. Maybe we ruined Dwayne Wades Marquette legacy his Junior year Is it because of the Chris Wright dunk? Winning 5 of 6? I know Al Mcguire called the Fieldhouse a dump back in the 60's. I just dont understand their opposition and i really dont get G-Town's opposition, they must be scared of us, ive been watching since 92' and we've never played them.

Its becoming apparent who the glass half full guys and glass half empty guys are. The empty guys drain me..........really drain me. They call it "being a realist" but seriously, UD hoops is a getaway from life and stress, just have faith in DC,TW and AM to get the job done. We will return to prominence!!! Anyone else watch Pierre,Robinson and Price go off Saturday!! They are the future.

Keep it upbeat fellas!!

Go Flyers!!!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-04-2013), bobber (03-04-2013), UACFlyer (03-04-2013), UDEE79 (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Thanked 2,210 Times in 975 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
My 1.5 cents

browsing over at that holylandofhoops site and saw these two posts from today...

"People think this is fluid whereas I've been told it is not. The teams were decided long ago. Nothing has changed. Lot of details and contracts to draft but the core of the decision has remained constant.

Again, this is just what I'm hearing but what the reports are saying now is pretty much what I heard a couple of months ago."

"I hear the same-3 teams in for next season and UD and STL for the 2014 season-have been hearing it's been a done deal for quite some time."

who knows what anyone knows...just adding to more of the speculation.
This makes a lot of sense. Also, I believe there will be one announcement. If it is going to be a 2 year phase-in, I think all will be announced together. i.e. Xavier and Butler will join in 2013 and Dayton and SLU will join in 2014. There is no economic advantage to a year of ambiguity. Obviously, with Temple and Charlotte eligible for championship play, the A10 has no rule about preventing teams who are leaving from playing in conference tournaments so there is no punishment for UD and SLU being 1 year delayed.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM

I just hope Notre Dame doesn't come in and screw us over. I'm not sure I could dislike them any more than I already do, but I would certainly try.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-04-2013), Beatty Town Coach (03-05-2013), bobber (03-04-2013), Flyer69ers (03-04-2013), jpk4ud (03-04-2013), rollo (03-04-2013), UACFlyer (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Re which schools, if all the schools mentioned are added, the conference becomes dominated by mid-west schools. I don't see that as attractive to the five east coast schools. Richmond is a good fit in a number of ways. Seems to me that UD would have no significant advantage over UR...and UR would provide geographic balance. For sure, VCU is a poor fit.
Wouldn't VCU would be the only public institution if they were invited? That would force the league to open the books to the public, wouldn't it? What other downside issues are there for having a public institution as part of the league? Are there other losses of privacy for the league?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Have no fear Flyer Fanatics, Dayton is in the Big East, just got it confirmed from a very reliable source. Didn't get his name but he did stay at the Holiday Inn last night.

Hey its as reliable as everything being reported
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-04-2013), Viperstick (03-05-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM

VCU

Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Wouldn't VCU would be the only public institution if they were invited? That would force the league to open the books to the public, wouldn't it? What other downside issues are there for having a public institution as part of the league? Are there other losses of privacy for the league?
My comment re VCU being a poor fit was because VCU as an institution is completely different from the C7+.

Of course, the A10 is made up of an institutional mix or state and private, large and small. But, it is a "mix"; there is a degree of balance. VCU would be a single outlier among a group of private schools. Bad fit.

On another topic: Fox may want a large footprint and has a need to fill air time...and Fox writes the checks. But, Fox doesn't send its olympic sports teams from school-to-school to play games. Hopefully, the presidents are not losing sight of such issues.

Even Creighton is a helluva haul from the east coast....SLU's coach complained about that.....Gonzaga? Nuts!

West Virginia fought to join the Big 12, with FB the driver. Probably that's a good thing for WVU. But, the travel distance issue has surfaced after less than one year.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Besides the public/private thing, VCU has explored (and according to some is exploring) the possibility of playing FBS football. That would make them a better fit with the football schools.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
There is a short interview tape with the VCU AD floating around somewhere, and on it he says it's just a matter of time before they go hard into football. They are, after all, a big, public, southern school. And like Charlotte, they'll have their football come heck or high water.

That alone, plus the freedom of information issues, make VCU an unlikely candidate.

Charlotte, on the other hand is private and very strong academically. But, as the columnist from St. Louis pointed out recently, they have only 3K undergrads and they seldom fill their arena because many alumni are from the northeast and they don't follow the program once they leave Richmond.

Last edited by bobber; 03-04-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Major

bigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to behold
Not sure if this link has been posted anywhere. Interesting!

http://oneminuteremaining.wordpress....ce-simulation/
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by bigudfan View Post

Verrryy Interesting.

And did you notice they have Dayton in the East with X in the West?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Say what, bobber?

Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Charlotte, on the other hand is private and very strong academically. But, as the columnist from St. Louis pointed out recently, they have only 3K undergrads and they seldom fill their arena because many alumni are from the northeast and they don't follow the program once they leave Richmond.
The "Charlotte" that's in the A10 is a large, public school with over 20,000 undergrads.

Charlotte is the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
ClevelandFlyer05 (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Lieutenant General

The "Charlotte" that's in the A10 is a large, public school with over 20,000 undergrads.

Charlotte is the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
My bad, meant Richmond.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Verrryy Interesting.

And did you notice they have Dayton in the East with X in the West?
And we finished with a better league record than X. That must be why they want to hold us out of the new BE.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 PM

Maddening!

This is like waiting to learn the results from a biopsy!
bobber (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Let's hope the NY Post is right ...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...U9DYdMu5YKicDP
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
axehandle (03-04-2013), walkon (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Brigadier General

‏@SIPeteThamel
Catholic 7 update: Don't expect an official announcement tomorrow at Fox Upfront. Expect something formal within a week.

‏@SIPeteThamel
The number of C7 teams for next season -- 9, 10 or 12 -- still hasn't been decided. Creighton still percieved leader for No. 10.

that jersey guy blog who has seemed to be on top of this also mentioned in his newest blog post:

http://ajerseyguy.com/

"The frame-work of an agreement which will allow the Catholic 7 group of schools to break away from the Big East by this July as well as take the “‘Big East” name has been reached, with an official announcement expected by Wednesday or Thursday, barring some last-minute snag."

if the announcement of that comes late this week..makes sense something formal from C7 could come early next week from fox/C7 as thamel reported

Last edited by FlyerFanatic08; 03-04-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Mad Props to FlyerFanatic08 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Commander in Chief

‏@SIPeteThamel
Catholic 7 update: Don't expect an official announcement tomorrow at Fox Upfront. Expect something formal within a week.

‏@SIPeteThamel
The number of C7 teams for next season -- 9, 10 or 12 -- still hasn't been decided. Creighton still percieved leader for No. 10.
There must be some big disagreements to drag it out this long.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Captain

Dayton in the East.... I could live with that. Perhaps for other sports a little imagination with scheduling can help. Also, relatively speaking we are in the middle of the conference geographically. In fact we could have a better travel schedule than the Eastern teams going West or the West teams going East for the non divisional games..
Mad Props to axehandle For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD90 (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
If divisional play is the way things go in 2014 (they'll do an 18 game/home-and-home-with-everybody schedule, with 10 teams in 2013, no divisions), I don't think anybody needs to waste any time thinking about geography.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the big stinks raised by the Marquettes and/or Georgetowns of the world was how they wanted to always be able to play each other at home, every year, regardless of conference alignment, for box office reasons. Villanova might have been involved, too. Ergo, you're never gonna see Marquette slumming it in a "western" division, where they only get G'Town coming to their home court every other year.

They'll just use divisional play as an excuse to create a "league within a league" where the legacy schools (well, 6 of them, minus lowly DePaul) all stick together in one division, and retain their precious home and homes.Then the new blood can fight among themselves, and only receive a semi-annual visit from the big boys. [Or you can do it with no divisional play, and just use a "pod" system that just so happens to result in the same sort of scheduling.]

It's still shady, old boy network shennanigans, but it beats the hell out of being left out of the new conference entirely...

Rick
Mad Props to Rick Scaia For This Totally Excellent Post:
hawkoooo (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Captain

If divisional play is the way things go in 2014 (they'll do an 18 game/home-and-home-with-everybody schedule, with 10 teams in 2013, no divisions), I don't think anybody needs to waste any time thinking about geography.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the big stinks raised by the Marquettes and/or Georgetowns of the world was how they wanted to always be able to play each other at home, every year, regardless of conference alignment, for box office reasons. Villanova might have been involved, too. Ergo, you're never gonna see Marquette slumming it in a "western" division, where they only get G'Town coming to their home court every other year.

They'll just use divisional play as an excuse to create a "league within a league" where the legacy schools (well, 6 of them, minus lowly DePaul) all stick together in one division, and retain their precious home and homes.Then the new blood can fight among themselves, and only receive a semi-annual visit from the big boys. [Or you can do it with no divisional play, and just use a "pod" system that just so happens to result in the same sort of scheduling.]

It's still shady, old boy network shennanigans, but it beats the hell out of being left out of the new conference entirely...

Rick

Hmmm... you might be on to something.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Brigadier General

Notre Dame should just be the 11th member next season. If the ACC implodes it can stay. What is the risk? BE can always add Richmond to even things out.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute

Rick
If, I repeat, if its UD, slu, creighton, x and butler, I doubt you'll see a old 6 new 6 setup. I'd imagine Marquette would want to play cu and slu. I could see the johnnies wanting UD in town every year, theyd be stupid to avoid a home and home between UD and x, etc... I think you'd see some matching not based on geography nor standing, and no formal divisions ala what the sec did for a season or two
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute

Rick
Home-and-away every year with:

Butler
Depaul
Creighton
St. Louis
Xavier

Home game every year against three of the following:

Marquette
Georgetown
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Seton Hall

Where do I sign up for tickets?

Even better though, a suggestion above which hasn't gotten enough love IMO:

Originally Posted by FSUFlyer View Post
This is brilliant. It would mean getting every team at home 3 out of every 4 years. It would also mean giving up annual rivalry games at home 1/4 of the years, but that is a good tradeoff.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM

ND

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Notre Dame should just be the 11th member next season. If the ACC implodes it can stay. What is the risk? BE can always add Richmond to even things out.
I don't want to see any arrangement,...of any kind,....that in any way, shape or form accommodates Notre Dame.....nothing, not a thing that makes ND's life easier.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-04-2013), axehandle (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM

When, when, when,...

...will there be reporting from a source,...any source,...that really can be considered accurate, athoritative, credible.....information that we can take to the bank?
bobber (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
How do you know that report hasn't already been written and published? There have been several articles, only a select few know if they are accurate or not, I guess the unwashed masses will know for sure un the next week or so.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,426 Times in 677 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
USA Today reporting Catholic 7 will be Big East and play tournament in MSG. Also indicates ND to ACC in the fall. Good for UD, obviously

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tions/1963671/
Old 03-05-2013, 09:16 AM

If it's "all about money", as seems to be the case, every school that is added above the minimum (nine?) has to result in an increase in the money from TV sufficient to cover the additional slice of the pie that is required.

Understandably, a point is reached where the increase in TV revenue by adding a school reduces the amount the other schools receive because of the extra slice of the pie. When that occurs determines the maximum conference size.

For the new C7 conference is the "tipping point" size 10 schools, 11, 12, 13, 14? I don't know. It may be ten. More likely 12. I cannot envision that it will be financially beneficial for the new league to have more than 12 teams....maybe even that number is too high.

What do you think longtimer?

I wish I knew how important fan attendance, facilities and olympic sports are.
13 must be the point when the payout starts to decrease, otherwise, I don't see why they just can't add all 6(leave out VCU)or 7(VCU included)that they are considering, to get to 13 or 14.

At 10, the payout is $3 million/school.

At 12, the payout is $3.33 million/school.

So, theoretically, you would think that the payout at 13 and 14 schools would just keep increasing, correct?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
General

having 13 means you'll always have a team with a weekend off. Not exactly the best plan. with 10-12 weeks of conference play, that means most everyone would have at least 1 saturday off.

Early in conference play, that's not so bad as you can probably fill that with a buy game or a decent cross conference game. However, towards the end of the season it becomes much harder, and the last weekend of the season, whomever has the bye has no shot of finding a game (the smaller conferences are playing their conference tournaments, the bigger conference teams are probably not going to schedule an OOC game right before their conference tournament). There migt be an exception for an independent or a team ineligible for their conference tournament, but its a problem they'd like to avoid.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Captain

oRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant future
...will there be reporting from a source,...any source,...that really can be considered accurate, athoritative, credible.....information that we can take to the bank?
starts today...multiple news sources (I heard it on Bloomberg radio early this am) Fox has presser today to introduce Fox Sports 1. Hard to imagine Fox schedules a presser and doesn't have their headline college basketball programming ready to announce...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Keep listening Red,..

Originally Posted by oRed View Post
starts today...multiple news sources (I heard it on Bloomberg radio early this am) Fox has presser today to introduce Fox Sports 1. Hard to imagine Fox schedules a presser and doesn't have their headline college basketball programming ready to announce...
Keep tuned into to Bloomberg and keep us ip-to-date.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Captain

oRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant future
I think it might make more sense to tune into Fox Sports radio
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
or to tune out.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Radio?

What's a "radio?"
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
What's a "radio?"
I think that's where Bucky and Larry live.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-05-2013), BRob2Perryman3 (03-05-2013), rollo (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting article on the Fox Sports 1 & ESPN alliance. The article says that Fox Sports will be sublicensing C7/Big East games to ESPN because both are trying to squeeze out NBC Sports. This would make getting into the conference even more important.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J.../ESPN-Fox.aspx
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM

AustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
What's a "radio?"
It's an app on my iPhone.
Mad Props to AustinFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Brigadier General

apparently there won't be any announcement about the new league...they might mention it off hand at that fox presser..but not details. the BE and C7 have to finish up their divorce first
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
having 13 means you'll always have a team with a weekend off. Not exactly the best plan. with 10-12 weeks of conference play, that means most everyone would have at least 1 saturday off.

Early in conference play, that's not so bad as you can probably fill that with a buy game or a decent cross conference game. However, towards the end of the season it becomes much harder, and the last weekend of the season, whomever has the bye has no shot of finding a game (the smaller conferences are playing their conference tournaments, the bigger conference teams are probably not going to schedule an OOC game right before their conference tournament). There might be an exception for an independent or a team ineligible for their conference tournament, but its a problem they'd like to avoid.
I don't think that would be a problem. We had at least two weeks this year when we had only one conference game. We did not have a game on Sat, Jan 19, or Wed, Feb 20. Archie said he liked the week between games to regroup and prepare. The only negative about the week off is that it drives the folks on this board crazy.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-05-2013), UACFlyer (03-05-2013), UD Sam (03-05-2013), Viperstick (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
getting closer?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-sour...50--ncaaf.html
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM
General

I don't think that would be a problem. We had at least two weeks this year when we had only one conference game. We did not have a game on Sat, Jan 19, or Wed, Feb 20. Archie said he liked the week between games to regroup and prepare. The only negative about the week off is that it drives the folks on this board crazy.
A weekend w/o a game (w/ the possible exception of Christmas and New Years depending on when that falls is pretty rare. Everyone has a day or 2 off during the middle of the week during conference play, in just about every conference in the country.

Now at UD, that may not matter much, they'll still get 11,000 no matter if its a wedneday, thursday or saturday. I'm not sure if that is true at a place like Depaul, providence, Seton Hall, St Johns, etc... Saturday is also an easier time to host potential recuits.

Its not a huge deal, the ACC ran with 9 schools for a long time, but its not ideal. It would definently suck to have a weekend off right before the conference tournament (well maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't, it would definently be different than anything I'm used to while UD has been in the A10)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Details, deschmails,...

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
A weekend w/o a game (w/ the possible exception of Christmas and New Years depending on when that falls is pretty rare. Everyone has a day or 2 off during the middle of the week during conference play, in just about every conference in the country.

Now at UD, that may not matter much, they'll still get 11,000 no matter if its a wedneday, thursday or saturday. I'm not sure if that is true at a place like Depaul, providence, Seton Hall, St Johns, etc... Saturday is also an easier time to host potential recuits.

Its not a huge deal, the ACC ran with 9 schools for a long time, but its not ideal. It would definently suck to have a weekend off right before the conference tournament (well maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't, it would definently be different than anything I'm used to while UD has been in the A10)
In my mind the only thing that matters is whether we are in or not. If those guys announce that they will go with a 9 team league next year, with X and BU added,...and expand to 12 the following year, but without announcing the name of the other.three school, well, that would be....that would be, ..just,...unb......
bobber (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Lieutenant General

If posted before, a thousand pardons, Sahib.

http://marquettetribune.org/2013/03/...than-expected/
Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM

Wow. With all due respect, I'd like to know what these guys were smoking when they ran this simulation. #3 out of 12 in a hypothetical new BE last year with a NCAA bid? No way.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM

Interesting reading about Gonzaga, X and BU,..

Without comment...

http://college-basketball.si.com/201...?sct=uk_bf1_a4
Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5471

Jersey Guy is saying an announcement will be made tomorrow.

The $110 million that the BE has from exit fees and NCAA units has apparently been divided up. Approximately $90 million to Cincinnati, Connecticut, and USF, divided in 3 for $30 million for each of those 3. Approximately $10 million to the c7. Approximately $10 million to the other BE football schools.

The c7 caved, the c7 were trying to get as much as $35 million. Had the c7 waited until next year, the c7 would have gotten significantly more.

Some speculation that Fox may sweeten the c7 deal in order to compensate the c7 for their loss. Sources saying as much as $10-12 million more for the c7 from Fox. That would put the Fox tv deal in the $50-52 million/year range.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Brigadier General

UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't hear anything today as ESPN reported we would ...

* Did Fox make their big announcement today about all of this hearsay yet?
* Did the Xavier, Butler, and Creighton ADs make an announcement voicing their excitement of participating in the new Big East?
* Did I miss it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Brigadier General

ahh come on UD90...i know the speculating is getting tiresome...but its what message boards are for.

also the big east/C7 haven't officially split up yet...hard to announce a new conference when the big east is still in tact

give it till the weekend. hopefully everything shakes out by then and doesn't run into next week.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Brigadier General

Nothing wrong with speculation unless it is perceived as the truth before it's fully baked. The oven timer hasn't even been set yet.
Mad Props to UD90 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jpk4ud (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
Without comment...

http://college-basketball.si.com/201...?sct=uk_bf1_a4
Have you read Outliers? It's on my list, most likely for this summer.

Regardless, the luck component should not be downplayed. Each of those schools had an initial Tournament run that really put it on the map and helped propel it to the next level.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 View Post
Regardless, the luck component should not be downplayed. Each of those schools had an initial Tournament run that really put it on the map and helped propel it to the next level.
And, according to some, two of the three got where they are partly due to taking risks on recruits with academic and/or character issues. And some on here who want to replicate their success don't want to give MK a second chance. I received my Flyer Connection in the mail today and there is a very interesting article by Larry Hansgen stating why he feels MK deserves a second chance to finish his degree and playing career at UD.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM

I will do a 180 and support Kav's return on one condition...

He has to move in with longtimefan.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I will do a 180 and support Kav's return on one condition...

He has to move in with longtimefan.
Why would you do that to Kavs, he's a great kid and deserves better
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-05-2013), rollo (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM

Did not receive mine...

And, according to some, two of the three got where they are partly due to taking risks on recruits with academic and/or character issues. And some on here who want to replicate their success don't want to give MK a second chance. I received my Flyer Connection in the mail today and there is a very interesting article by Larry Hansgen stating why he feels MK deserves a second chance to finish his degree and playing career at UD.
Did not receive my Connection yet.

Can you summarize the highlights of Hansgen's reasoning?

As for recruiting: I have no issue with taking a chance with kids that bring with them academic risk,...even if we have to assign a full-time tutor to the kid. Character risk is another matter entirely. Never worth it. Should not be done.

Re MK. whatever Hansgen's reasoning, the good of the U comes first. Suppose we wind up in a new conference with the C7. Do we want to be playing a kid carrying all that baggage as we embark on a new groundbreaking adventure?

I realize that MK will be gone by the time UD joins the new league, if that happens. Nonetheless, if UD is invited to join the C7, that will be one of the most significant developments in the history of Flyer athletics, if not the most significant. Why we would want to muddy the water when we don't have to?
rollo (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 View Post
Have you read Outliers? It's on my list, most likely for this summer.

Outliers is a great read. It discusses opportunity, being in he right place and preparation. The SI article highlights the preparation. UD has been in the same location, but seems to lack the preparation.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Just off the Jet

dcflyer will become famous soon enough
Apparently Espn.com is reporting that Creighton will be the tenth team. No mention of whether there will be two more teams added the following year or who they might be.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/stor...Id=9019093&src
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Did not receive my Connection yet.

Can you summarize the highlights of Hansgen's reasoning?

As for recruiting: I have no issue with taking a chance with kids that bring with them academic risk,...even if we have to assign a full-time tutor to the kid. Character risk is another matter entirely. Never worth it. Should not be done.

Re MK. whatever Hansgen's reasoning, the good of the U comes first. Suppose we wind up in a new conference with the C7. Do we want to be playing a kid carrying all that baggage as we embark on a new groundbreaking adventure?

I realize that MK will be gone by the time UD joins the new league, if that happens. Nonetheless, if UD is invited to join the C7, that will be one of the most significant developments in the history of Flyer athletics, if not the most significant. Why we would want to muddy the water when we don't have to?
I think you are overreacting.... A lot. Come on it is hardly "one of the most significant developments in the history" of UD. As I've stated countless times the U should decide the severity of any punishment and the associated penalty which includes whether to rejoin the team. Larry is a lot closer to the situation than anyone on this board so he probably has info we don't. There will be no "muddy" waters.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM

You'd be surprised how close some people on this board are to the situation.
College B-Ball Fan (03-05-2013), shocka43 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM

Thanked 9,813 Times in 4,074 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
There is a difference in taking a chance with an unknown risk and taking a second chance with a proven risk.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Captain

hoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to behold
Don't believe everything espn is reporting, there's a reason FS1 and Fox are keeping quiet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to hoch21 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD90 (03-05-2013)