UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,178 Times in 4,206 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Scott Nagy would be a really good hire I think. Dooley could be good as well. Those guys have gotten teams to the tourney which you would think would be a likely requirement since that is the reason they fired Donlon. Would not predict a lot of success if they hire Marty Simmons or Cliff Warren.
Well, you called it, Scott Nagy is Wright State's next hc. 49 years old, previously was the hc at South Dakota State in the Summit League.

Looks like a really good hire IMO, he has an impressive resume IMO, I am very surprised that he did not take a better job somewhere else, his resume would seem to qualify him for a p5 job.

3 NCAAT and 1 NIT over the last 5 years...also did well at SDSU when they were in d2...I am guessing that he did not come cheap...good luck to him.

I am guessing that he is the most qualified hc WSU has ever had.

http://m.daytondailynews.com/news/sp...right-s/nqyJm/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Nagy

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
And???
And nothing...I was just throwing that out there.

Last edited by ud2; 04-04-2016 at 01:21 AM..
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I am guessing that he is the most qualified hc WSU has ever had.
Well, I recall being shocked when they were able to hire Brad Brownell. Good for them.

Also - saw it reported by Jeff Goodman (not sure why DDN didn't mention it) but apparently players were given the opportunity to meet with the three finalists for the job. Not sure I've heard of that happening before. Seems like a good idea though to try to get the players to buy in to the process.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 04-04-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I recall being shocked when they were able to hire Brad Brownell. Good for them.

Also - saw it reported by Jeff Goodman (not sure why DDN didn't mention it) but apparently players were given the opportunity to meet with the three finalists for the job. Not sure I've heard of that happening before. Seems like a good idea though to try to get the players to buy in to the process.
Agreed. This move could/may pay dividends down the road.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute

To get the players to buy in to the process is fine. It could cut down on possible transfers. If WSU gives any weight to the opinions of the current players, that is a mistake. WSU has to look longer term, and these players will be gone in 1-3 years. AD has to have confidence in their selection whether the players "buy in" or not.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (04-04-2016), FLYER5 (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
From the DDN this morning: "Goodman said three candidates - Nagy, Joe Dooley of Florida Gulf Coast and Marty Simmons of Evansville - met recently with Wright State players before Nagy emerged as the favorite to replace Billy Donlon..."
Old 04-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
To get the players to buy in to the process is fine. It could cut down on possible transfers. If WSU gives any weight to the opinions of the current players, that is a mistake. WSU has to look longer term, and these players will be gone in 1-3 years. AD has to have confidence in their selection whether the players "buy in" or not.
It's a nice little recruiting exercise for an AD to see how the candidates do in getting players to buy in to their vision. If it happens the guy the players liked is the guy the AD wanted, then probably no harm in letting the players think they drove the hire. If it wasn't the players' choice, there are still ways to make the players feel their feedback was strongly considered and weighed alongside each coach's accomplishments.

Now, it doesn't happen this way at most places with current players. But I think it does happen that way with program boosters because we all know money talks. But if you are going to ask the opinion of a booster, you may as well ask the opinion of current players. Consider none of it maybe but the players' opinions are probably a lot more telling than what old moneybags has to say...
Old 04-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
It's a nice little recruiting exercise for an AD to see how the candidates do in getting players to buy in to their vision. If it happens the guy the players liked is the guy the AD wanted, then probably no harm in letting the players think they drove the hire. If it wasn't the players' choice, there are still ways to make the players feel their feedback was strongly considered and weighed alongside each coach's accomplishments.

Now, it doesn't happen this way at most places with current players. But I think it does happen that way with program boosters because we all know money talks. But if you are going to ask the opinion of a booster, you may as well ask the opinion of current players. Consider none of it maybe but the players' opinions are probably a lot more telling than what old moneybags has to say...
True, but the player will be history shortly, ole moneybags will be there and contributing for the long hall. As I recall ole moneybags was the reason Donlon is missing in action.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:00 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Valparaiso's Bryce Drew to Vanderbilt...certainly helps Wright State.

Drew was also targeted by Georgia Tech.

http://hoopdirt.com/breaking-bryce-drew-to-vanderbilt/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-at-vanderbilt

Last edited by ud2; 04-04-2016 at 02:02 PM..
Old 04-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Valparaiso's Bryce Drew to Vanderbilt...certainly helps Wright State.

Drew was also targeted by Georgia Tech.

http://hoopdirt.com/breaking-bryce-drew-to-vanderbilt/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-at-vanderbilt
Donlon or BG to Valpo?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:20 PM

Thanked 10,173 Times in 5,901 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Capel and Drew both say no to GT, so maybe they hire BG back.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (04-04-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Coach Kuwik and ex-WSU hc Billy Donlon rumored to be candidates for hc opening at Dartmouth.

http://hoopdirt.com/dartmouth-dirt-2/

I’ve heard from a ton of sources on the search at Dartmouth. The names that I’ve heard surrounding this one are: Rob Jeter (former head coach Milwaukee), Shaun Morris (associate head coach Boston University), Dane Fischer (assistant coach George Mason), Dave McLaughlin (associate head coach Northeastern), Matt Kingsley (assistant coach Yale), Brian Earl (associate head coach Princeton) and Kevin Kuwik (assistant coach Dayton). I’ve also heard former Wright State head coach Billy Donlon’s name mentioned here, along with a current America East head coach, and a current MAAC head coach. I should know more here as the search progresses.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Capel and Drew both say no to GT, so maybe they hire BG back.
Might be going after Archie next!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Just saw a tweet from Jeff Goodman listing the remaining Division I vacancies. Safe to say Archie will be in the fold next year.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Good to know after 214 posts that Archie isn't taking any new job opening.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (04-08-2016), jack72 (04-08-2016), SeasonTicketFan (04-08-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Lots of talk that it will be Josh Pastner from Memphis to Ga Tech.

Seems pretty similar to how BG ended up at Ga Tech. He is coming from situation where he didn't get fired but seemed to have plateaued, the fan base was getting restless, and he took a job that many don't see as being that much better than the one he was at.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (04-07-2016), SeasonTicketFan (04-08-2016), Sticks 'n Stearns (04-08-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
Lots of talk that it will be Josh Pastner from Memphis to Ga Tech.

Seems pretty similar to how BG ended up at Ga Tech. He is coming from situation where he didn't get fired but seemed to have plateaued, the fan base was getting restless, and he took a job that many don't see as being that much better than the one he was at.
If I were a Tech fan I would have to give up if they hire Pastner. The Memphis fans on the other hand are celebrating in the streets.

If Pastner is the hire I will retract all of my previous comments that Tech should fire Gregory. Even I can admit BG is a better coach than Pastner.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 08:02 AM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Pastner has a large buy out clause, who is paying that? I have trouble envisioning GTech paying that buyout (I've read its upwards of $9 mil) while still paying two former coaches for the next couple of seasons. Rumors, similar to Crean last season, were that Memphis would have all but let him go if not for that huge buyout. I guess it worked out for Indiana this season.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Pastner has a large buy out clause, who is paying that? I have trouble envisioning GTech paying that buyout (I've read its upwards of $9 mil) while still paying two former coaches for the next couple of seasons. Rumors, similar to Crean last season, were that Memphis would have all but let him go if not for that huge buyout. I guess it worked out for Indiana this season.
Memphis will absolutely negotiate the buyout down just to get rid of Pastner. One thing I saw was that Memphis might just pay the difference between what Tech is going to pay him and what he currently makes at Memphis.

Gary Parrish who is from Memphis just tweeted that Pastner was at a Memphis airport and is flying to ATL
Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Pastner to GT

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...h-josh-pastner
Old 04-08-2016, 10:20 AM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
then, I could see that working for Tech, basically pay him something nominal, let Memphis pay the rest of his salary and both Tech and Pastner are happy. If Memphis is willing to pay the nut, then its an obvious match.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:22 AM
General

so, I guess it should be asked, if FedEx willing to ship Archie down to Memhis? If they're not willing to pay all of Pastner's 10 mil buyout, I doubt they are willing to pay Archie's. I'm expecting a top assistant from somewhere.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:24 AM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC, Memphis wanted to get rid of Pastner but they would be on the hook to pay him $10M if they fired him. My guess is that as others have suggested, they are letting him go to GT without a buyout from him.

Not sure I would describe it as a win/win because I don't think Pastner is a good coach. Search firm ... who knew.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
so, I guess it should be asked, if FedEx willing to ship Archie down to Memhis? If they're not willing to pay all of Pastner's 10 mil buyout, I doubt they are willing to pay Archie's. I'm expecting a top assistant from somewhere.
The University of Memphis is a dying basketball program. To even bring them up as a place AM might want to go is crazy. They don't have enough money in that town to get AM to move.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 AM
General

dude, I was joking about Archie, as I said, I think they'll get a top assistant from somewhere. Perhaps an out of work coach looking to get back into coaching (Steve Lappas is available, at least it would get him off my TV)

Last edited by Medford; 04-08-2016 at 10:37 AM..
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
chicago92 (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Decourcy on the hire. IMO it is likely to be a wreck.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...jackets-tigers
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 AM

Interesting tweet

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS
The NCAA has hit Donnie Tyndall with a 10-year show-cause penalty for his role in the Southern Miss case, a source told @CBSSports.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Interesting tweet

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS
The NCAA has hit Donnie Tyndall with a 10-year show-cause penalty for his role in the Southern Miss case, a source told @CBSSports.
Wow. Same penalty Dave Bliss got. Tyndall's slimy, but he's no where close to Bliss.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...medium=twitter
Old 04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Major General

Jeff Boals finally gets a head coaching gig.

@JonRothstein 1m1 minute ago
Stony Brook has hired Ohio State's Jeff Boals, sources told @CBSSports.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:05 PM

Interesting that Pastner must be taking a pay cut, so Memphis is still paying him to leave ... and this is guy Bobinski wanted? This is likely to be a train wreck for GT.

Eli Savoie ‏@Eli560
According to sources, Memphis will pay the difference of Pastner's GT contract and his Memphis contract for 2 years and then they are done.
Viperstick (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Major General

Interesting that Pastner must be taking a pay cut, so Memphis is still paying him to leave ... and this is guy Bobinski wanted? This is likely to be a train wreck for GT.
Oh, it was already a train wreck, but then Bobinski just couldn't resist wrecking another train on top of the wreckage. I suppose that's why they call them the Ramblin' Wreck.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:41 PM

If Archie had left and UD had hired Pastner to replace him the board would be apoplectic.
C-time (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of
Good preemptive move by Pastner. Lot of rumblings in Memphis. Many said better recruiter than game-day coach.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flyer 79 View Post
Good preemptive move by Pastner. .
Reminds me of when Lappas left Nova for UMass. Beat the posse out of town, then Nova replaced him with Jay Wright.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 PM
General

Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,260 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, it was already a train wreck, but then Bobinski just couldn't resist wrecking another train on top of the wreckage. I suppose that's why they call them the Ramblin' Wreck.
Just stumbin' from one dumpster fire to another.

I bet Bobinski wishes he were back in the Queen City.
Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (04-09-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Memphis has (had) a commitment from Mr. Basketball in Illinois. Now reopened his recruitment. A great point guard, Charlie Moore. We are closer to home and have an opening. Would hope that eventually our success translates to better than a run of 3 star guys that need years to develop.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Memphis has (had) a commitment from Mr. Basketball in Illinois. Now reopened his recruitment. A great point guard, Charlie Moore. We are closer to home and have an opening. Would hope that eventually our success translates to better than a run of 3 star guys that need years to develop.
It's being discussed in the 2016 recruiting thread. FYI.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
While Archie isn't leaving, what about his assistants?

Kevin Kuwik heads this list of replacements for Jeff Boals at OSU, altho this seems like dartboard material as the #2 name is Brian Gregory:

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Artic...State-44704293
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-09-2016), ud2 (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
247sports college basketball coverage is poor imo. Can't see tOSU taking an assistant from Archie in what amounts to a lateral move. Not when they have Archie on their short hire list, whenever Matta decides he's had enough punishment.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:07 PM

Josh Pastner sat at the long table, decked out in a dark suit and gold tie, explaining why he was so thrilled to be the head basketball coach at Georgia Tech.

It was a surreal moment for Memphis fans. It was a day of utterly unexpected joy.

Pastner had somehow found a way out of a toxic situation at his former place of employment. He had given throngs of disaffected Memphis fans reason to hope again.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/colu...375110351.html
Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Just stumbin' from one dumpster fire to another.

I bet Bobinski wishes he were back in the Queen City.
Why couldn't he have made these kinds of mistakes at "that school down south"?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:32 PM
General

Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,260 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
They love to trumpet their three Final Fours, but two of them (1985, 2008) were vacated by the NCAA for cheating. They've also vacated five Sweet Sixteens & six total NCAA appearances.

Without cheating, they are very comparable to Dayton in history.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
They love to trumpet their three Final Fours, but two of them (1985, 2008) were vacated by the NCAA for cheating. They've also vacated five Sweet Sixteens & six total NCAA appearances.

Without cheating, they are very comparable to Dayton in history.
Everybody cheats it's just a matter of who gets caught.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:55 PM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
That article suggests Memphis is a better gig than Wichita State right now. Im not sure it is. Marshall is getting paid top Power-5 money, sells out every home game, hardly ever loses at home, has a clear path to the NCAA every year, and is the toast of the town. There is no other competing sport to fight an audience for. No football baggage.

Sure, Memphis has been to a Final-4, but so has Wichita. Memphis is a city partly in renaissance mode and partly in complete crumbling decay. It is a city with many interests. Its in a conference that's spread all over the country. Its not really a southern school but likes to think it is. $2M goes just as far if not further in Wichita as it does Memphis. Im sure the schools are better in Wichita, crime better, etc.

I think you could make a better case that Memphis is a better job than Va Tech. Other than the ACC, the VT job doesn't have much going for it. Outdated facilities, suspect fan base completely overshadowed by Hokie football, and a conference that in all honestly is much of a hinderance as a help unless you are a superior brand name like UNC, Duke, ND, Louisville, or Syracuse. Va Tech is more like Wake Forest or Boston College in basketball terms.

Memphis is a good job. But Im not sure its the job people make it out to be. Calipari landed there because he needed a parachute and they paid big bucks. It was more timing than anything. They wont get so lucky this time. And conferences looked a lot different back then. When Calipari took the job, C-USA still had DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, Cincinnati, Houston, and St. Louis. C-USA was a pretty doggone good league. By the time he left, C-USA was a shell of its former self and unable to attract the same kind of coach. Yes, the AAC now has some of those schools including UConn, but the BCS collated into the Power-5, further strengthening themselves, marginalizing the gaps between jobs like Wichita (or Dayton) and Memphis in my opinion.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Garson (04-10-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I would here. It's a column on the hires ar GaTech and Pitt. Just a reminder of the gem that is the coaching, momentum and stability we have under Archie and the the importance fro UD to do everything in its power to keep it that way.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/th...588-ncaab.html
Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Saw that Pastner, having never had an experienced assistant at Memphis, is bringing in Bobby Lutz.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:23 PM

found this part the most interesting

What do the Pitt and Georgia Tech situations have in common, beyond spit-take hires? Search firms. Pitt used Collegiate Sports and Todd Turner, the former AD at Connecticut, North Carolina State, Vanderbilt and Washington. Tech used DHR International and Glenn Sugiyama.

Of course, virtually everybody uses a search firm these days. But oftentimes, the top candidates come from an AD’s wish list – the search firm is simply there to provide communication cover.

For both Pitt and Tech, basketball insiders say their lofty initial hopes were shot down. That’s when it became more of a firm-directed search. Pittsburgh’s search coincidentally led it to the guy Turner hired at Vanderbilt 17 years earlier. Tech’s search led it to Pastner.

Both coaches clearly were ready to jump before being pushed. It’s not an uncommon exit strategy in college basketball, sometimes leading to some strange arrangements. That’s how Trent Johnson wound up at TCU, with abysmal results, and how Frank Haith hopscotched from Miami to Missouri to Tulsa – leaving NCAA investigations behind at the first two programs.

It remains to be seen whether Pitt or Georgia Tech will be better for their new hires. But from surface level, there is nothing to get excited about.
AC91 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I think you could make a better case that Memphis is a better job than Va Tech. Other than the ACC, the VT job doesn't have much going for it. Outdated facilities, suspect fan base completely overshadowed by Hokie football, and a conference that in all honestly is much of a hinderance as a help unless you are a superior brand name like UNC, Duke, ND, Louisville, or Syracuse. Va Tech is more like Wake Forest or Boston College in basketball terms.
Agree with everything you said with regards to Memphis and Wichita State, but I have to say something regarding the presence of football since you allude to it. You're not going overboard at all, as I have seen many basketball-only school fanbases do, so this is not so much a reaction to what you've said above as it is reaction to what I feel is a very widely-circulated misnomer that somehow good football is a negative as it relates to basketball. That just screams rationalization to me.

The fact of the matter is that big time basketball recruits like being around big time football players. And vice versa. There is a reason most schools with big time programs use the spring games and football as a major recruiting tool. And football teams use basketball games/tickets to recruit as well.

I am sure there are instances where coaches may feel like Rodney Dangerfield - "overshadowed by football" as you say, but the fact of the matter is that having a big time football is absolutely an advantage.

Now, does this particular advantage make it easier to win at Virginia Tech vs Dayton or Wichita State? No, because it is not the only factor/advantage. As you suggest, status and name brand within your respective league is very important. Dayton and Wichita State are in winnable leagues with great fan support and have the resources and commitment to the basketball program.

If Virginia Tech doesn't invest in basketball, the existence of big time football does not make it a good job. Winning national championships in football every single year can't help that. But to say good football is not helpful - if leveraged properly - is crazy talk.

If Ohio State had to relocate games to Welcome Stadium for the next 4 years, Dayton basketball would benefit. Note - I know that's ridiculous. If Memphis turns into a real football power, that can only enhance the job. I don't buy the notion that football subtracts from fan-bases. It grows name recognition and opens doors. It is a good thing for basketball.
FLYER5 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Pastner will be out of GT in 3 years and will be outcoached in every game.
Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (04-13-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 PM

http://hoopdirt.com/matt-mckillop-pr...h-at-davidson/

Matt McKillop, the son of Davidson hc Bob McKillop, has been promoted to assoicate head coach at Davidson...seems like Matt might be the head-coach-in-waiting.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Major General

I find it interesting that Archie has not promoted anyone to associate head coach. I don't even know who he regards as his number two. But I guess if Archie did promote someone, we might then start to think oh surely he is gone next season.... So I suppose it's just as well.
FLYER5 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a slideshow of 9 possible candiates to replace Pastner at Memphis. I'll save you the trouble -- Archie ain't on it:

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/470...h-josh-pastner
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
Pastner will be out of GT in 3 years and will be outcoached in every game.
They just gave a lesser coach 5 years.

Edit:

That was not meant to be a dig at BG. I think most would agree that Pastner has a better reputation around the NCAA than BG, even though both underachieved (Pastner at Memphis and BG at UD).

Last edited by m21eagle45; 04-12-2016 at 05:45 PM..
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Chris Beard meets with Texas Tech; UNLV hopes issue 'resolved' Friday

Sheesh. Beard's been at UNLV less than one week and now he might be leaving for Texas Tech. It seems like he has connections to Texas Tech and area, but yikes.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Major

Bill Elwood has a spectacular aura aboutBill Elwood has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Chris Beard meets with Texas Tech; UNLV hopes issue 'resolved' Friday

Sheesh. Beard's been at UNLV less than one week and now he might be leaving for Texas Tech. It seems like he has connections to Texas Tech and area, but yikes.

It's called strictly "show me the money" with nearly all of these guys. Almost nothing in college coaching should surprise anyone anymore.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 AM

in a profession that lacks honor and commitment overall, Beard leaving after a week on the job because a better offer came along would be a new low.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:49 AM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It's reported that his daughters and family live near Lubbock and he was an assistant there for ten years
Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 AM
General

While there are ancillary reasons, the proper thing to do, is tell TT that the timing sucks, but you can't leave a job one week after taking it. I guess if I was UNLV, I'd be looking to boot his butt out the door, I mean how loyal do you think he can be, how much do you trust the guy in providing the kind of things he says he needs to build a program if he's willing to talk to another school after just 1 week.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
How long did the guy before Purnell stay here?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
The Guy Before Purnell at UD

did not leave soon enough!
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Wow, sources feel that Beard to TTU is going to in fact happen...TTU will reportedly double his pay vs. UNLV... he was an assistant to Bobby and Pat Knight at TTU...he has family in the Lubbock area...Beard has done something like this before.

A decision is expected today.

http://hoopdirt.com/chris-beard-situation/:

The big story in college basketball over the past 24-hours has been the Chris Beard to Texas Tech talk. After the rumors starting to break early yesterday morning about the newly hired UNLV head coach being involved as Tubby Smith’s replacement at TTU, Runnin’ Rebels AD Tina Kunzer-Murphy released the following statement:

“Late this afternoon, I was contacted by the athletics director at Texas Tech seeking permission to speak with Coach Beard about its men’s basketball head-coaching vacancy,” she said in the statement. “This evening, Coach Beard met with officials from Texas Tech. We were made aware of the meeting before it took place. I have since met with Coach Beard, and we have agreed to have this resolved by tomorrow.”

I have heard from many sources close to the situation, and they all feel that Beard will make the move. The Texas native was a long time assistant at Texas Tech where he worked for both Bobby and Pat Knight. The move would bring him closer to his family, and would also reportedly double his pay.

Lastly, this type of move is not unprecedented for Beard. Back in May of 2012, he accepted the job as the head coach at Lamar State College-Port Arthur, but stayed for less that a week before bolting to McMurry University (TX).

As Kunzer-Murphy said in her press release, this expected to be resolved today. We’ll bring you the latest as we hear it.

Last edited by ud2; 04-15-2016 at 11:29 AM..
Old 04-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Major General

So how long does Beard stay at Texas Tech? Two weeks?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Major

Bill Elwood has a spectacular aura aboutBill Elwood has a spectacular aura about
in a profession that lacks honor and commitment overall, Beard leaving after a week on the job because a better offer came along would be a new low.

So, does UNLV have any recourse??
Old 04-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to tell. Chances are the contract hasn't yet been signed, so probably not.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:38 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
So how long does Beard stay at Texas Tech? Two weeks?
"Beard gone before 4'oclock shadow"
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (04-18-2016), chicago92 (04-15-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (04-15-2016), DallasFlyer (04-15-2016), Medford (04-15-2016), mikeymo85 (04-15-2016), OSU Flyer (04-15-2016), SLUFLYER (04-17-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
UNLV took two weeks to approve his contract and approved him with only a 9 to 4 vote. Commitment is a two way street. UNLV is getting what they deserved.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (04-15-2016), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (04-15-2016), springborofan (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Major General

Too soon for Mick Cronin to squeeze a few more bucks out of UC now that UNLV is open again? I think he asked for the private jet already, but maybe he'd like a private steamboat to recruit up and down the Ohio River?
flyer016 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Major

Originally Posted by bcross View Post
UNLV took two weeks to approve his contract and approved him with only a 9 to 4 vote. Commitment is a two way street. UNLV is getting what they deserved.
Wow, you might be right.
We're going to elect a leader of the free world with a lot less than a 70% margin, so we'll also get what we deserve!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:13 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Bill Elwood View Post
Wow, you might be right.
We're going to elect a leader of the free world with a lot less than a 70% margin, so we'll also get what we deserve!
If the campaign only took 2 weeks that would be a win for everyone
Old 04-15-2016, 06:44 PM

Did not see this posted...Beard to TTU is official.

http://hoopdirt.com/breaking-chris-b...at-texas-tech/
Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Why is it a new low? Beard has a chance to be closer to his daughters. He has been at UNLV for a week or two after the board delayed approving his contract for about the same length of time. He(or Texas Tech) has to pay his $1 million dollar buyout to UNLV. Look back at when Dana Altman accepted the Arkansas job and then went back to Creighton.

If he worked in an everyday business/profession nobody here would question his reason for leaving. He is going to get more money and be closer to his family. In my book those are the best reasons for leaving. Plus it's not like he's abandoning any players at UNLV because they basically have no players left.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Plus it's not like he's abandoning any players at UNLV because they basically have no players left.
I read that they only had 2 players left on scholarship! Sucks to be UNLV although that was a pretty quick, easy million they just made, or raised to throw on top of their next coach's salary.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
How long did the guy before Purnell stay here?
Never mind, found it, it was Mike Deane. Accepted the Dayton job, then turned it down for Marquette.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Never mind, found it, it was Mike Deane. Accepted the Dayton job, then turned it down for Marquette.
Best thing that happened for Dayton
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (04-16-2016), CT Flyer (04-16-2016), UDGutter2 (04-17-2016), Viperstick (04-16-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:40 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Deane jumped around a lot during his coaching career. According to Deane, he was only "offered" the UD position and he turned it down. He also turned down an offer to be head coach at Northwestern. He was scheduled to be at NU at 4 PM for the announcement and at 3:30 PM, he called NU and said he was not coming. Most recently fired as head coach of Wagner.

He is now an assistant at James Madison. How did all that jumping around work out for you, Mr. D?
Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:22 PM

New Mexico State hc Marvin Menzies to UNLV...that is a good hire.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:42 PM

One of the happiest days as a Flyer fan was when Deane turned down the Flyers. The group of Flyer fans I hung out with back then were convinced he was the wrong man for the job. All he ever had at Siena was a run to the NIT final 4 in NYC. Willis Wilson (Rice) also turned down Kissell before Perry Clark pointed him at Purnell.
FLYER5 (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Lieutenant General

I can understand the reluctance of coaches to take over the train wreck that was Flyers basketball after OB. Of course it also was an opportunity that OP took advantage of.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:51 PM
Major General

New Mexico State hc Marvin Menzies to UNLV...that is a good hire.
Good hire. Not a flashy hire though. In Vegas, they like flashy. Menzies can coach though no doubt. Just hope they give him time. Firing Dave Rice mid-season was just an awful decision.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Brigadier General

Jeff Goodman tweeted out Chris Beard is the frontrunner at NMSU.

Perfect comedic timing.
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (06-08-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 04:26 PM

College basketball's coaching carousel has just about stopped spinning. The only thing left to decide is Delaware's coach. But all nine Power-5 jobs that opened have been filled.

And guess what?

Gregg Marshall didn't take any of them.

Neither did Archie Miller. Neither did Chris Mack.

And it should serve as a reminder for every AD in the country, and the reminder is this: unless you have a top-10 job in the sport to offer, you're likely not going to be able to hire an established and successful coach with a decent job who isn't running from something.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ist-candidates
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (05-06-2016), Avid Flyer (05-05-2016), Bat'71 (05-05-2016), CE80 (05-06-2016), Flyer Al (05-05-2016), flyhi524 (05-05-2016), Gazoo (05-06-2016), springborofan (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Music to my ears!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 AM

I don't know, sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I think the definition of Top 10 could be somewhat variable.

What about a guy like Buzz Williams from Marquette to Virginia Tech?

Or Thad Matta from Xavier to Ohio State(who was then on NCAA probation and was banned from the NCAAT for a year)? Not many, from my recollection, thought Matta would take the OSU job.

Or Dana Altman from Creighton to Oregon?

Or Shaka Smart from VCU to Texas?

Or John Beilein from West Virginia to Michigan?

Or Lon Kruger from UNLV to Oklahoma?

Or Mark Turgeon from Texas A&M to Maryland?

Are VTU, OSU, Oregon, Texas, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Maryland all Top 10 jobs?

VTU and Oregon IMO are definitely not Top 10.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know, sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I think the definition of Top 10 could be somewhat variable.

Or Thad Matta from Xavier to Ohio State(who was then on NCAA probation and was banned from the NCAAT for a year)? Not many, from my recollection, thought Matta would take the OSU job.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for sure, but I would put OSU, Texas, and Michigan as consensus Top 10 destinations. Oregon has fast risen up the ranks due to the Nike $.

The article called out that you'll always have guys "running from" certain situations (like Buzz Williams).

From my perspective, the whole point of this school of thought is to keep AM happy & satisfied so he doesn't think he needs to "run from" UD. The jobs he'd consider "running to" are probably very small I think it just brings some data points to arguments that have been made on here over the past several years.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for sure, but I would put OSU, Texas, and Michigan as consensus Top 10 destinations. Oregon has fast risen up the ranks due to the Nike $.

The article called out that you'll always have guys "running from" certain situations (like Buzz Williams).

From my perspective, the whole point of this school of thought is to keep AM happy & satisfied so he doesn't think he needs to "run from" UD. The jobs he'd consider "running to" are probably very small I think it just brings some data points to arguments that have been made on here over the past several years.
Ok, fair enough, but what was Buzz running from? The NBE being a downgrade from the OBE?

He was doing great at Marquette, and MU was IMO totally satisfied with the job he was doing there. I think the MU fans were totally shocked when he took the VTU job.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
I think we are entering a critical period for keeping Archie at UD. The lure of a top 10 job will not likely be the thing that takes him away from UD. What will, is if/when he feels something at UD is impeding him from improving and winning. 2017 recruiting is HUGE. We are losing a lot of GREAT successful players. I think if Archie can’t get signatures from a couple of the highest recruits on his list, he may start to think that the ability to recruit to UD is a hindrance…… IMHO that is when he may start to look around elsewhere…..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-06-2016), FLYER5 (05-07-2016), redbengal (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Major General

After next season, the NC State job is Archie's if he wants it in my opinion.

Gottfried has had some success, but the wheels have fallen off. They are having players transfer out at an alarming rate. Unlike say an Ohio State or Michigan State, it's their best players who are taking off. They were bad this year, and they could be even worse this year. If he turns in two terrible seasons in a row - and I think he will - I just cannot see them sticking with Gottfried if they think they can hire Archie.

So unfortunately I think Archie is gone regardless of what happens at UD, or who he is recruiting. Honestly, the one thing I could see that could actually keep him here when that NC State job is offered, is family. I do believe he's very happy with his daughters situation in school and is comfortable raising a family in Dayton.
FLYER5 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, fair enough, but what was Buzz running from? The NBE being a downgrade from the OBE?

He was doing great at Marquette, and MU was IMO totally satisfied with the job he was doing there. I think the MU fans were totally shocked when he took the VTU job.
I believe that Buzz left for a few reasons. He and the new AD and I believe new President as well were not getting along. He also had issues with the NBE. And while the fans were shocked with the move to VT I am pretty sure he was starting to feel some heat from them as well for underachieving in their eyes.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
And while the fans were shocked with the move to VT I am pretty sure he was starting to feel some heat from them as well for underachieving in their eyes.
Fair enough, MU's fans seem pretty demanding then IMO. I would take the below 6 years in a heartbeat:

2008–09 Marquette 25–10 12–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Marquette 22–12 11–7 5th NCAA First Round
2010–11 Marquette 22–15 9–9 T–9th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Marquette 27–8 14–4 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Marquette 26–9 14–4 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Marquette 17–15 9–9 6th

And Wojo is 0/2 BTW, no NIT's for Wojo either.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Major General

Fair enough, MU's fans seem pretty demanding then IMO. I would take the below 6 years in a heartbeat:

2008–09 Marquette 25–10 12–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Marquette 22–12 11–7 5th NCAA First Round
2010–11 Marquette 22–15 9–9 T–9th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Marquette 27–8 14–4 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Marquette 26–9 14–4 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Marquette 17–15 9–9 6th

And Wojo is 0/2 BTW, no NIT's for Wojo either.
I agree 100%, but I remember reading their boards when it happened, and pulled up some threads from before he left, and there were definitely some not happy.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
After next season, the NC State job is Archie's if he wants it in my opinion.

Gottfried has had some success, but the wheels have fallen off. They are having players transfer out at an alarming rate. Unlike say an Ohio State or Michigan State, it's their best players who are taking off. They were bad this year, and they could be even worse this year. If he turns in two terrible seasons in a row - and I think he will - I just cannot see them sticking with Gottfried if they think they can hire Archie.

So unfortunately I think Archie is gone regardless of what happens at UD, or who he is recruiting. Honestly, the one thing I could see that could actually keep him here when that NC State job is offered, is family. I do believe he's very happy with his daughters situation in school and is comfortable raising a family in Dayton.
I believe the contract extension takes their daughter through high school
Old 05-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not picking on whoever abbreviated Virginia Tech as VTU, I promise.

In 1970, the state legislature allowed VPI university status and gave it the present legal name, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. In the early 1990s, university administration authorized the official use of "Virginia Tech" as equivalent to the full legal name; it has been used as the first-reference name for the school's athletic teams since the 1970s. However, diplomas and transcripts still spell out the formal name. Similarly, the abbreviation "VT" is far more common today than either VPI or VPI&SU.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:01 AM

http://hoopdirt.com/oakland-dirt-2/

Former UD assistant under Coach Donoher, Dan Hipsher, named as an assistant coach at Oakland University.

Last edited by ud2; 05-11-2016 at 11:03 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (06-08-2016), FLYER5 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:08 PM

Off-topic, ex-UD assistant Cornell Mann, also hired on as an assistant at Oakland, so two UD guys working together.

http://hoopdirt.com/oakland-staff-update/
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (06-08-2016), FLYER5 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

You listed 7 programs and asked if they are all top 10 jobs. You did not mention UNC, Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, Kentucky, Louisville, UCLA (?), Indiana, Arizona (?).

In my experience there are somehow always waaaay more than 10 schools in the top 10.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-08-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 07:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Will the Louisville Job Open Up?

With the President of the University Louisville resigning will Rick Pitino be asked to leave? Is this is a job that may attract Archie to leave UD.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
With the President of the University Louisville resigning will Rick Pitino be asked to leave? Is this is a job that may attract Archie to leave UD.
No this could be the beginning of the JOB years
Old 06-18-2016, 09:43 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
No this could be the beginning of the JOB years
?????
Old 06-18-2016, 11:33 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
?????
Louisville is such a mess in all areas, academics, sports etc. that if they boot Pinto they may have a hard time attracting another coach of similar stature etc. Ergo they could end up with a JOB and start a strong decline.

Don't think any worthwhile coach the status of Archie would touch that job. They self imposed a sanction but the NCAA is not through and may attach more.....and more serious.

Just an opinion of course, but quality coaches are staying put more often lately finding the grass is not always greener on the other side. Personally feel UofL has too much baggage.....but then money does talk.

I should add that none of the top coaches in the NCAA have contacted me yet for my opinion just saying

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 06-18-2016 at 11:36 AM..
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-18-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 09:54 AM

Thanked 10,173 Times in 5,901 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Louisville is such a mess in all areas, academics, sports etc. that if they boot Pinto they may have a hard time attracting another coach of similar stature etc. Ergo they could end up with a JOB and start a strong decline.

Don't think any worthwhile coach the status of Archie would touch that job. They self imposed a sanction but the NCAA is not through and may attach more.....and more serious.

Just an opinion of course, but quality coaches are staying put more often lately finding the grass is not always greener on the other side. Personally feel UofL has too much baggage.....but then money does talk.

I should add that none of the top coaches in the NCAA have contacted me yet for my opinion just saying
UofL may struggle to find a great coach, but they will get a very good one despite the setbacks. They are one of the top 10 jobs in the country for basketball. Rabid fans, great arena, big bucks, great backers and a great town.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (06-19-2016), UD62 (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
Gov. Bevin kicked out U of L's board of trustees of which several members wanted Ramsey out as with other sweeping changes. The debate now is could a Gov. legally kick out an entire board? The Gov. will hand pick a new board and lawsuits will be a flyin'. Upon the formation of the new board Ramsey is to resign/retire. However, it is widely speculated that the new board more than likely will not accept his resignation and the status quo will prevail. So if any coach wants to be part of that mess...GOOD LUCK!