UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: The UnGolden War Eagle Egg goes to....
Sir Trey Landers 8 pts, 11 rbs and 2 turnovers 1 2.08%
Cunningham 14 pts, 5 rbs, 4 turnovers 3 6.25%
JDavis 9 pts, 1 rb and 3 turnovers 5 10.42%
Crutcher 11/6/5a, 2st and 7 turnovers 37 77.08%
Mikesell 15/8 and 4 turnovers 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
UnGolden War Eagles Award - Auburn

1st of all, Bruce Pearl is a slob. I don't trust him any more than I trust a D or R politician. If he's talking, I'm not listening.

But his basketball team is good...Top 10 good. Long, strong and fast is a great combination on a basketball court.

Offesnsively, My Team played well. We had the same amount of 2-pt FGs as Auburn, they has 1 more 3-pointer and 7 more FTs. Turnovers were the problem and will be as long as we insist on dribbling into trouble or not coming to the ball at the right time.

So today's UnGolden Award is an awkward one because it'll be given to a Flyers who played hard and scored pts, but who - outside of offensive stats - laid a War Eagle sized egg.

Vote away.

FWIW, I think our non-conference schedule has more than prepared My Team for the A10 schedule and I look for good things to happen from here on out.

Go Flyers!!

King Rollo the ...OUT!
Gazoo (12-09-2018), The Fly (12-09-2018)
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Landers. The starter with the least turnovers.

If all of our starters only had two turnovers, we win the game.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 12-09-2018 at 10:12 AM..
Old 12-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I will go with the hotel front desk. They apparently didn't give them the wake up call until 5-10 minutes into the first half.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-09-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-09-2018), Flyer 86 (12-09-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Can I choose the refs who swallowed their whistle's all game? I didn't feel like UD got homered but they surely let them play which advantaged the older/stronger team. It's as if the refs were reading a thread on UD pride and learned from Rollo on how to ref..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-09-2018), rollo (12-09-2018), UDGutter2 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
The one time I would have chosen Grant/coaching staff and it’s not an option. I’ll still use it as my write-in vote. The two reasons are that they didn’t hit Auburn first in the opening minutes and instead got down 17-4, and then when making a late run they didn’t foul until way too late. Maybe the team was too tired, maybe grant was playing the “game” of the new NET system, I don’t know. Oh, and I’ll add not having Obi for most of the first half. We saw the impact he had in the 2nd.

I loved the rebounding, the zone D, and some other things the coaches called. But, for the reasons stated above, they get my vote.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:36 PM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to vote for anyone, and only did so to see the vote totals. No one who laid an egg considering the opponent. Easy to point to Crutcher, but what help did he get handling the ball and moving the ball? He is a sophomore up against probably a first team all-american senior. How about Grant for not having them prepared? No way. Grant had the game plan, but we could not execute the first half, because our players could not adjust to the warp speed of Auburn versus Detroit. No on to blame. We just do not quite have the horses and experience to compete at that level.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Good post Jack, but you don't have to vote to see the poll results. Just click on the "View Poll Results" on the right across from the Vote button. I don't believe I have ever voted in the "Un" poll, but I do sometimes check the results.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 02:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I voted Crutcher, on the basis of 2 plays that kind of set the tone:
-The airballed 3 early in the game, that set a tone of “we can’t pound the ball inside”. And
-The blown dunk, that set a tone of “we’re not quite good enough”.

I love the kid, and I’m glad he’s a Flyer. And last night’s loss was an overall team effort, and not the fault of any 1 person. But the mistakes Crutch made had the brightest lights on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2018, 05:16 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I voted Cunningham because we needed him to be effective from the start to the finish and IMRO, he didn't pick up the effort until we were already down double digits.
Radar (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:40 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Group guard effort..A/TO brutal. Have to take care of the ball...even against intense pressure like Auburn brought.

Good news is the team never folded, kept playing hard, and was just a few shots from being in the game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill202 (12-11-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-11-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
The one time I would have chosen Grant/coaching staff and it’s not an option. I’ll still use it as my write-in vote. The two reasons are that they didn’t hit Auburn first in the opening minutes and instead got down 17-4, and then when making a late run they didn’t foul until way too late. Maybe the team was too tired, maybe grant was playing the “game” of the new NET system, I don’t know. Oh, and I’ll add not having Obi for most of the first half. We saw the impact he had in the 2nd.

I loved the rebounding, the zone D, and some other things the coaches called. But, for the reasons stated above, they get my vote.
I voted for Crutcher since there were only five choices but I totally agree with redbengal! Anthony Grant must have had a different agenda. On the game thread I posted "Why isn't Toppin playing" midway through the first half. T-Bone 84 answered, "I'm guessing it's because he got two fouls with little production." Apparently Anthony Grant was adhering to the golden rule that many coaches ascribe to. That is if a player picks up two quick fouls early he sits for the remainder of the half! After seeing what impact Obi had in the 2nd half I believe that if he would have stayed in the game Crutcher would have had more options (alley oop dunks etc.) and would not have had as many turnovers that he ended up with. Obi not playing for roughly 15 minutes of the first half really cut down Crutcher's options on offense!

Last edited by CvilleFlyer; 12-09-2018 at 09:32 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 10:32 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
I voted for Crutcher since there were only five choices but I totally agree with redbengal! Anthony Grant must have had a different agenda. On the game thread I posted "Why isn't Toppin playing" midway through the first half. T-Bone 84 answered, "I'm guessing it's because he got two fouls with little production." Apparently Anthony Grant was adhering to the golden rule that many coaches ascribe to. That is if a player picks up two quick fouls early he sits for the remainder of the half! After seeing what impact Obi had in the 2nd half I believe that if he would have stayed in the game Crutcher would have had more options (alley oop dunks etc.) and would not have had as many turnovers that he ended up with. Obi not playing for roughly 15 minutes of the first half really cut down Crutcher's options on offense!
Hopefully, Obi learned a valuable lesson and is less likely in the future to commit silly fouls early in the game. AG made the right call.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
One other point that I didn’t mention in my game thread comment is that, with Obi still being a Freshman, and only in his 9th collegiate game, Coach Grant probably didn’t want to risk having Obi make a “freshman mistake” by picking up his 3rd foul before halftime. If Obi was a junior or senior, Coach might have left him in. But with Obi being that young and inexperienced? Nah, baby, nah.

Also, to echo Chris R’s observation, Grant is not as unwilling to adapt as either of his 2 immediate predecessors. As Chris mentioned, Archie was practically allergic to using any kind of a zone D. And BG, well, he had his rules for basketball, and God forbid you deviate from any of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Hopefully, Obi learned a valuable lesson and is less likely in the future to commit silly fouls early in the game. AG made the right call.
I also hope that Obi learned a valuable lesson! Kendall Pollard never did seem to figure it out even his junior and senior season. Archie would sit him for the balance of the first half when he picked up two early fouls.

After only 9 games Obi seems to be progressing slowly but smoothly! Hopefully he is learning from other new experiences as well! The example that comes to mind to me while watching the Virginia game on TV Thanksgiving Day was when he was guarding De'Andre Hunter on the crucial made 3 pointer at the end of the game that really changed the momentum. Obi was in a good defensive position on the play but Ty Jerome ran into him. It was definitely a moving screen but the official made no call as Obi absorbed the contact but was taken out of the play and couldn't contest the shot. I hope he learned if that ever happens in the future he should "sell" the contact more, maybe fall down and force the official to call a foul! Jerome should have been given the game ball!!!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
I voted Crutcher, on the basis of 2 plays that kind of set the tone:
-The airballed 3 early in the game, that set a tone of “we can’t pound the ball inside”. And
-The blown dunk, that set a tone of “we’re not quite good enough”.

I love the kid, and I’m glad he’s a Flyer. And last night’s loss was an overall team effort, and not the fault of any 1 person. But the mistakes Crutch made had the brightest lights on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Definitely Crutcher. He could not run the offense, did not penetrate or defend. Was content to take threes - he never made a two. Completely overwhelmed by better guards.
Posted via Mobile Device