UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
NCAAs

Lots of matches tonight for trips to the Sweet 16. Dayton had a great schedule this year. 10 of our 31 matches were against NCAA teams and who would have thought tOSU wouldn't make it. Of those 10, 4 are still playing.

Pitt was sent to #1 Penn State for the 2nd year in a row. We got sent there 3 years in a row, so I'll feel sorry for them next year if it happens. They won't beat PSU. But, I do like our chances with the other 3 teams.

WKY vs #4 KY will be the toughest, but a lot of people didn't think KY should be a 4-seed.

Cal Poly plays #15 UCLA. I don't think UCLA was that good this year - all year long. Still a great program, but not historical. Cal Poly will have to play great, but they can pull the upset.

Finally, #14 Iowa State plays unseeded Wisconsin. I went to ISU way back before they had a volleyball program, so I'm pulling for the Cyclones. It seems like there is a second reason I want ISU to win, but it's not coming to me right now. ����
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-02-2017)
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2017, 08:08 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I was very impressed with Pitts coach when we played them last year in the NCAAs. I watched one set of Pitt vs VCU and Pitts serving was outstanding. Now Pitt just evened up the match with PSU 1-1 by serving the best I've ever seen a total team serve. Can Pitt knock out the #1 seed???
Old 12-03-2017, 08:27 AM

None our our 4 opponents left in the NCAAs makes it to the Sweet 16 as 5 seeded teams go down.

8 power conference teams beat smaller conference teams. 7 matchups were between two power conference teams, and BYU beat Oregon for the lone smaller conference win.

6 of the 8 Big10 schools are headed to the Sweet 16 further solidifiying that as the best volleyball conference. 5 of the 9 PAC 12 schools are still alive, making that a close second in the what conference is the best discussion. Utah is the newest PAC12 school to make a Sweet 16 and one of the big surprises this year. The other is Colorado, who got a new coach 2-3 years ago and have that program headed in the right direction.

3 SEC schools - MO, KY and FL. TX is the lone Big12 and BYU out of the WCC.

In other news...14 of figgie rpi top 16 made it thru to the Sweet 16. It doesn't get any better than that.

It also makes me wonder why the NCAA doesnt move this to a top rpi field of 32. They should make power 5 conferences schedule 12 matches a year against non-power 5 teams. That makes them 'want' to schedule against the better mid-major teams to help their rpi, because they have to be in the top 32 to be invited. It helps the better mid-major teams rpi because they too have to be in the top 32 to get invited. Then add a mid-major championship tournament of 64 teams - making it bigger and hopefully just as widely followed, than the NCAAs. Power 5 conference teams can not qualify for this tournament. If a mid-major is a top 32 rpi, but would rather play for the mid-major championship, let them decline the NCAA bid and that tournament picks up rpi 33 to fill out the bracket.

It's becoming very clear that finishing 6th or 7th in the Big10 or PAC12 or 3rd or 4th in the SEC, you are still one of the top 30ish teams in the country. And if the system is set up where you need to schedule as many very good mid-major teams as you can each year to keep your rpi where it needs to be to make the top 32 cut or you're at home watching post-season play on tv, then it also helps those non-power 5 conference teams have a chance to qualify for the Big Dance every year and to advance their programs to the highest level.

On the flip side, a mid-major championship gives more schools a real shot at competing for and winning a national championship. There is only like 11 schools out of the 320 or so DI schools that have won the current championship. Anyone think that is going to change dramatically anytime soon? Of course now that I've said that, it will probably happen this year.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:05 AM

I watched the first two sets of ISU vs WI on the iPad. WI just out-powered ISU. WI was just more physical.

I watched the last 3 sets of PSU vs Pitt at the same time on the tv. Pitt served great in the second set which they won. After half time, PSU just played at a different level. PSU just has several very physical, athletic players. They are also a great blocking team.

Then I watched the MN vs UNI match. I don't think MN played that great. I've seen them play a couple times this year and they played much better in those earlier matches. I think MN has one of the top freshmen in the country and they didn't go to her much early. They also have a great left OH. MN can win the whole thing but they have to play better than last night.

In all the matches, by all 6 teams, there were some unreal digs and some pinpoint bump sets when out of system. It's clear these teams have spent time figuring out how who can set an out of system ball and what hitters can terminate a ball that travels from the backrow forward. This didn't happen a couple times. This happened a lot and hitters terminated. And when these teams were in system, some of these hitters just crushed the balls and put them on the floor were no one could have gotten them. The hitters get up so fast and their arm swings are lightning fast. If you aren't a good blocking team, you have no prayer to stop them.

The scary thing is there are so many of these hitters out there now. It's use to be there were a handful of these elite hitters. Now there are teams that have 2-3 playing at the same time. We weren't a great blocking team this past year. Our stats got better as the year went on but I don't know if we got better or if the A10 competition just made us look better??? Watching these second round matches, it's clear we have got to get a lot better at blocking to get to the second weekend of the NCAAs.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-03-2017)