UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Red-Blue Scrimmage

Tonight at 7 pm. This should be a very competitive match. I don’t know how TH is going to split the team, but we are deep at all positions.

I’m looking forward to hearing some feed back from those that attend. Im pretty sure Margo will be the Libero and Kendyll will hold down one of the MB spots. Everything else is probably wide open. Camp has to be really competitive.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-18-2018)
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2018, 09:52 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
With 18 players, I figured we wouldn't have male practice players involved, but we had 2. Mostly just 1, but a second played in set 3.

So, red won 3 sets to 1, winning the first 3, and blue won set 4 which was to 15 points.

The red team is probably close to what the starting lineup will be. As BeckysTXA stated, Margo and Kendyll will probably be starting. They played all 4 sets in red, as did Bruns, so I put her in stating lineup too.

As for setter, it probably depends on if they play 1 or 2 setters. They played both ways. 2 sets they played on the same team, the other 2 sets they played opposite. Vondran (#4) also played a little bit of setter. This position will determine the rest of the starting lineup. Brooke will most likely play all around, but if Doherty is setting too, that's may be one less backrow player.

Sierra Pla was playing right side with Amelia Moore and Alli Papesh playing MB2 behind Kendyll. It looked like Papesh was doing more MB2 though, because last set with Brooke on blue team, Pla played MB2.

I think the last front-line hitter, which might be an all-around, could be #1 Mikaylah Van Lanen.

As for back row replacements, that could be a toss up. #2 Collins was libero for blue twice, #3 house once, and #20 Beyer once. We need one for Bruns and Pla, if the rest of my thoughts are right.

1 - Pla w/ backrow help
2 - Brown w/ Wolf (L)
3 - Bruns w/ backrow help
4 - Westbeld (RS / backrow S)
5 - Moore/Papesh w/ Wolf (L)
6 - Van Lanen (all around)

Peterson was (obviously) not dressed. As well as Olivia Dubay.

It will be interesting to watch when Papesh or Moore and Pla are on the court at the same time. Pla 6'3" and Moore 6'4" could be hard to beat on the RS block. (Though, #12 got in between them a few times.)

An interesting point to me was that both Albarran and Weaver were on blue team all night, except for when Weaver went to red for 4th set. Did they get pushed down the depth chart with the incoming class?

Doherty played all around in the 3rd set as setter, so blue only had 2 front line hitters.

Papesh served as MB for set 3 instead of Kendyll. Maybe 4th set too.

Bruns has a fast serve. I think we need a speed gun on that.

#4 Vondran looks a lot like Sloan, it was hard for me to notice the difference. #12 almost looked like Megan Campbell, too.

I was enjoying the match the first set, and near the end of the match Pla went from red to blue since she had just gotten off the court, and I think coach wanted to have her in the other side to try and stop the red team from winning quickly. Then I realized, I need to figure out who was setting.

I asked for, and was given, a box score printout. Male practice player had 37 attacks to lead everyone, with Lauren having 31 coming in 2nd. Brooke on red hit .545 and 400 while on blue for 1 set. #5 Papesh had more attempts than #15 Brown on red at 26 to 17. Low hitting percentages though. Doherty had 38 total assists (8 red, 30 blue), while Westbeld had 20 while on red. (she played hitter on blue) Digs went to Wolf, on red with 18, while #20 grabbed 15 digs on blue for 3 sets. Moore had 7 total blos, 3 on red, 4 on blue, with Asmus got 5 on blue.

Heard them screaming some things on the court, the one most I heard was "Cease Fire". I think they might have also said "Live Cease Fire", so I figure that's some kind of play call, either how to server, or what the setter to attacker attempts will be in some order. I think there was another call, but I couldn't hear it. Seemed like much more communication than I've noticed in years past.

Anyway, next week, it starts for real.

Go Flyers!

Figgie
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-19-2018), Chris R (08-18-2018), jack72 (08-19-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-18-2018), springborofan (08-19-2018), udisit19 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 08:57 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Great info figgie! Thanks for all the details.

First, it was good to hear Mackenzie was on the court. Based on the DDN writeup she has been out sick and it appeared to be up in the air when she would be back. Missed practice time may have played into her playing on the blue team at this point. Also sorry to hear Olivia didn’t suit up. One would have to assume some type of injury. Because of her absence, we don’t know if she is ahead of the two freshmen at MB or not.

The surprise was Alli Papesh at MB. It might have been because Olivia was out and we were short there. I will be shocked if she plays there long-term during her UD career, but who knows. If she is quick off her feet to hit the low-quick set and has great lateral movement/ speed to get to both outsides to set blocks, she might be the second coming of POY Amber. We would all take that. But most likely I see Kendyll and Amelia starting at MB next weekend if Olivia is out.

Lauren will be our OH1 and then it appears Mikaylah is the best backrow OH so far and if the first match was today she would win the OH2 spot based on the combination of her 6 rotation skills (front and back row). But Alli also has great 6 rotation skills and Mackenzie’s back row skills are also very good. So I expect the OH competition to continue into the season.

Setter and Rightside OH: Based on both the DDN and figgie reports, I would say we are leaning towards playing two setters. There are a couple ways to play two setters. The first is to simply have your setters sub in for each other every 3 rotations. We could do this. Bridget being the shorter setter always playing the backrow and Brooke being the taller setter always playing the front row to set, attack and block. That means for Brooke’s rotations you only have two hitters in the front row - which is what you have when you play one setter.

Second option is to go with 2 Rightside OHs and 2 setters and have them sub in for each other. This puts both setters always in the back row with 3 hitters always in the front row. You always have to hide your setter on serve receive so she doesn’t take the first touch and gets into position in the front row to take the second touch - the set. You use one less DS in this system and one more Rightside DS. Brooke would also not be able to block in this system or attack above the net.

The last couple years, all of our OHs have played both right and left so they don’t have to overlap/switch during the serve. That’s becoming the “norm” over 10 years ago everyone was doing a lot of switching. So Lauren and Mackenzie can play both pins and I would assume Alli and Mikaylah can too. Sierra was a MB in high school. Moving to RSOH is a common transition. Hitting from the left would take a little more time to get the angles down.

Finally, Margo will be our L. It sounds like there is a battle for the DS job between Collins and Beyers. You can never have too many good backrow players and if Collins and Beyers push each other for the Colored Jersey the next 4 years we will be very good - because it all starts with a pass.

The rotation looks to be 8-9 players. 3-4 of them could be freshmen.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 08-19-2018 at 09:00 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (08-19-2018), springborofan (08-19-2018), udisit19 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 AM

Other pre-season results for top A10 contenders.

VCU - traveled to William and Mary. Only reported scores of first two sets on Twitter. VCU won both. Surprise was first set was 27-25. Second set was 25-13 which is what I would have expected. I assume both of these sets were projected starting rotations.

SLU - hosted Western ILL during last week. SLU won 3-2. W ILL out blocked them 12-8 and out hit them .134 to .119. They also appeared to use a 5’6” Soph Setter (Cordia) the entire match. That’s going to be tough to stop hitters when she is in the front row. You simply hit over that block. Their starting setter from last year did not play. (5’9” Sr Rivas) so she must be injured. SLU can’t seem to get over the injury bug to major contributors. They played an alumni match this past weekend. No stats but a couple videos and it’s Cordia setting. They need Rivas back if they want to contend.

GW hosted Delaware but only got a final score. Delaware won 3-0. DUQ traveled to WVA, but no results posted.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 08-20-2018 at 11:15 AM..