Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Recruiting Question...

Hopefully those of you that have gone through the process can shed some light on how UD football recruiting works. How does the recruiting process work? What kind of kid does UD target and specifically what can they actually offer a football player in terms of financial help? I realize that UD doesn't offer athletic football scholarships, but do football players have a better chance of landing more favorable financial aid or academic scholarships?

In all honesty, paying full tuition at UD is probably off the table at this point. Believe me, I love UD but I don't think we can swing that kind of tuition and strapping my son with that kind of debt is unacceptable in my mind. In reality, if we can't land some financial assistance we are probably looking at doing two years at a community college and then transferring to a state school. (maybe NKU) If my son can parlay his football into some kind of financial help, I'm all for it. Believe me, I'm not sticking my nose up at any offer, that includes NAIA or D-II.

Here is my situation. My son is the starting DT for a very good Ohio high school football program that lost last season in the regional championship game. The team finished the season second in the state in the AP poll. While my son isn't a super star, he's pretty solid and received 2nd team all league honors. He does have some experience playing both ways (all be it sparingly) on both the offensive and defensive lines. He might be described as undersized at 5'11.

He has a solid GPA. Right now, he has a 3.85 cumulative GPA. As you can imagine, we've already heard from all the usual suspects (Mt. St. Joe, Thomas More, Baldwin Wallace, John Carroll, Capital, Wilmington, Mount Union etc.) We have no scholarship offers at this point, but hopefully that will change after a better football season.

I've got about $30K in a 529 plan which I'm now thinking might have been a mistake because it's my understanding that comes strait off the top of any financial aid package. Ugh, if any of you have been down this road before I'd love to get your advise.

Last edited by Gem City; 06-13-2012 at 12:05 PM..
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.udayton.edu/apply/undergraduate.php

The link above will take you to the page where UD lists the typical academic scholarships for accepted students. A good test score on the ACT and/or SAT could yield up to $65,000 or more off the list price, (over 4 years). This aid is available for every student including students that happen to play football. Your son's GPA puts him in the area of a President's or Trustees' scholarship level if he can garner a high score on the ACT/SAT. My undersanding is that need based aid can also be awarded based on the FAFSA that you will fill out. Be careful as some of that "aid" is in loans, so you have to read it closely.
Your son certainly sounds like he fits the UD model. There is a reason why so many UD football recruits are honor roll students. In theory, football players do not get preferential treatment over non-football players. That is not to say that the financial aid office will not work with any student/family to make UD as affordable as possible. The results are not always good, but if it is a concern, start talking to them NOW! Finding excellent football players that are great students is not easy, so I think they would work with you in every way possible. (As they do with any family working to afford a UD education). UD is not going to be able to compete on price alone. A "full ride" to an NAIA or Division II school is something that UD probably cannot match. But, the quality of the education and experience at UD compared to say an NKU cannot be dismissed just due to money. Some debt might be worth it to get the UD degree and experience. Tough decisions at the end of the day. My son will be starting at UD in the fall, (not a football player), and I am scratching my head as to how we will get him through, but I feel strongly enough about a UD education / experience that I am bound and determined to make it happen. We got my daugher through, (2008 grad), so we will figure a way to do it again. Good luck and keep us informed on where he ends up, especially if he plays college football.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 06-13-2012 at 12:59 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (06-13-2012), UACFlyer (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...d-1390326.html

First off, DIII schools do not offer scholarships. They can offer financial aid packages to help reduce the cost. My son was being recruited to play basketball at Wittenberg and they put together a nice package but he decided he had enough basketball and is at UD.
My advice for you would be to play out the current season and see where it takes your son. At the end of it all he may be gung-ho about playing in college or he could say, "Nope, I am done with football. I want to be a student." Somehow things seem to work out and it will be a decision that your son will have to make. Good Luck
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
1st Lieutenant

Charlie B is on a distinguished road
Voting for Obama because he's Black is just as stupid as voting for anyone because he's white. Obama is way over his head as a president.He was NEVER qualified as a leader of this great nation.and he proved it these last 3 years.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Consider...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...d-1390326.html

Interesting that in a desciption of UD FB recruits...emphasized is scholarship, leadership, etc. Certainly, that reflects a significant difference between UD-style non-scholarship FB and big-time FBS FB.

Good for us.

Go Flyers!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I really have to give it up to those kids that play football at UD. I understand that some kids may not get into an Ivy or other prestigious school without football ability. But UD is not that difficult to get into and if they are just getting the same scholarships as a kid that does not play football, they must really enjoy the game.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MichiganFlyer60 (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
It is an interesting model

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I really have to give it up to those kids that play football at UD. I understand that some kids may not get into an Ivy or other prestigious school without football ability. But UD is not that difficult to get into and if they are just getting the same scholarships as a kid that does not play football, they must really enjoy the game.
Only the Ivy League and PFL use this type of aid model in FCS. There are advantages that are not always obvious. If a football player leaves the team, they keep all of their aid. Nobody ever thinks about that as a high school senior, but kids do leave teams for a variety of reasons. I think it also helps to hold the coaches accountable as they cannot abuse kids because there is no financial incentive for the kids to take it. You are right that the kids that play for UD are unique. They are typically great students, (look at the majors some time), they are leaders, they are good kids that can be coached up, and they do in fact, love the game! It is not always easy to land recruits at UD, but our program knows the type of kid that is going to excel at UD and they find them every year. Great kids, great families, and great football players. They are a joy to be around and they are a joy to watch develop during their time at UD. Of course they win a bunch of games as well. The overall balance our players have, (athletic ability, good students, good families, leadership, etc.), are what allows them to defeat teams with "better pure athletes". Cannot wait for this coming season to kick off.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (06-13-2012), Flyer Gramps (06-13-2012), MichiganFlyer60 (06-13-2012), PittsburghFlyer (07-08-2012), UACFlyer (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 PM
1st Lieutenant

chriscage will become famous soon enough
Keep the politics outta here!

Must we endure any more of this politicized nonsense?
Get used to it. Some of us support the President...some do not. 'Nuff said.
Mad Props to chriscage For This Totally Excellent Post:
ICDWS (06-14-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Gem City: A lot of great information above. The one thing I would add is that if you just want financial help the DII and NAIA schools will do more for you for two reasons: (1) they can give direct athletic scholarships and (2) they "tend" (not an absolute) to be a little weaker academically so they may offer more in the way of academic money as well. That is, your son is likely a higher caliber of student than most of their students so the pool of students competing for academic scholarship money is not as strong so he may well get more academic money than he would at a better school where more "better qualified" students apply. The trade off (and it is clearly a big one) is that he will go to a lower tier school. The fact that he goes to a lower tier may or may not be a big deal depending on his plans out of college. If he has plans to get a high demand professional type degree (nurse, teacher,...) it may not matter as much because there is currently a demand and jobs are a little easier (I said easier not easy) to find and once you get a job performance is what matters. On the other hand, if he wants to go into something a little less defined like "business" then the school he graduates from will carry more weight.

Good luck with your decision and the process. I am sure if you do your homework and put in the time you can find the right fit.