Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 03:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

skyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really nice
Drake at home.

They're killin me!
Mad Props to skyflyerfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-20-2018)
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
We could win out to go 6-5, but who cares?

When is the last time Dayton allowed 30 ppg? That has nothing to do with losing your QB.

Coach Chamberlin is a good man ... Who needs to go.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2085&s=300937
Mad Props to Columbia Blue For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
We simply are not the program we used to be. Pioneer League is SDU and a bunch of teams named Moe. Buck does stop with RC. Will probably struggle to have a winning season, but it is doeable.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
I rarely post in the football forum, but I’m here to concur with those questioning Chamberlain’s coaching. That little pooch kick from Cook early in the game was a ridiculous call. For starters, it’s about the fourth or fifth time they’ve done that this season, so it isn’t fooling anyone. Secondly, why kick at all? It was like fourth down and five deep in Drake territory — about the 30-yard line or so. Why NOT just go for it? The territorial swap wasn’t going to be all that great. Made no sense to me.

The play calling was unimaginative the entire game. Yes, Cook had a lousy afternoon throwing downfield. How about a screen pass or two to get his confidence back? And the defense has more problems than I want to discuss.

The scary thing is, another losing season will have repercussions on recruiting, and we’ve already seen a bit of a slide in that department. Dayton, once the flagship of the conference, is now clearly second-fiddle to San Diego and pretty much on even terms with everyone else. Obviously, not all of this is on Chamberlain. Losing Alex Jeske was huge, and Cook (other than today) has been almost heroic in filling the void. But it’s clear Dayton has big holes across the board, and that IS on Rick.

Do I expect him to be pink-slipped? Not gonna happen this year. But if it were up to me, he’s on a short leash that doesn’t extend beyond next season unless there is a return to the top. And I doubt we’re going to see that.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-20-2018), Columbia Blue (10-21-2018), Showme Flyer (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
I can't believe how depressing of a game today. I never felt like we were in the game. Why Drake spent the last 8 minutes of the game trying to let us back in it by passing and fumbling and on a 4th and 5 we walk back to the line like we have all day when we are down 11 and have 4 minutes on the clock. Then we throw a bomb down the sideline...horrible coaching all game long and no sense of urgency on the part of the players.

I will give credit to the two defensive guys who never quit when the Drake QB broke off that long run in the 4th quarter. They chased him down and recovered the fumble at the 1.

Cook is going to be a good QB when it is over in 4 years. He is calm and has some decent decision making abilities and will get better.

We are looking at back to back losing seasons for the first time in almost 40 years. I am thankful for what our staff has done in the past, but time for some changes to our staff.

We get no pressure on defense, rarely blitz, can't seem to coach our corners into turning around at the end of a deep pass play and they don't ever play press coverage. If you aren't getting rid of Chamberlain then overhaul the defensive coaching staff.

Ok done venting, just a sad display of football today against a team they could have beaten.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (10-21-2018), Flyer Gramps (10-21-2018), Showme Flyer (10-21-2018), The Fly (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:43 AM
1st Lieutenant

skyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really niceskyflyerfan is just really nice
"• By the fourth quarter, all four cornerbacks who had started a game this season were sidleined. Backup safety Brandon Easterling was moved over to play the unfamiliar position." Copied from the UD football website.

This is not a good sign. I hope they are all healthy.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to skyflyerfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-21-2018), Flyer Gramps (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Offense had a tough day and the defense did what it always seems to do.Injuries have depleted the secondary but even so we have been soft all year.
Agree that Cook will be a good one but I have a concern that we as an overall program are slipping both in the area of X's and O's and Jimmies and Joes. It's a little awkward to be critical of the level of play of the players with most of the posters of the site being family of the players. RC and his staff bear the responsibility either way. SDU built their program starting with Jim Harbaugh and have continued to dominate the league. We on the other hand have slipped to become just a middle of the pack team. I'm sure this is not news to the staff, doing something about it is the issue.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-21-2018), Columbia Blue (10-21-2018), Flyer Gramps (10-21-2018), Showme Flyer (10-21-2018), The Fly (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:25 PM

Showme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant future
Most of the player on the team were recruited by Drake, Butler and Valpo and some Ivy league teams mixed in. Dayton gets the better recruits due to past tradition and facilities
so I don't think it is the Jimmies and Joe's. I think it is the turnover in coaches, for example the team we lost to Saturday pretty much have the same coaches who recruited my son same for Butler and Valpo, we have not. I know we can do better but need to make some changes on coaching staff I think.
Mad Props to Showme Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-22-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 AM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
Agree with Showme, Flyers were 9-2 in 2016, 5-6 last year, and hopefully they find the right side of .500 this year. Offense has been solid despite some growing pains for a red shirt frosh QB which can be expected. Still think the QB has done an outstanding job. Maybe some coaching realignment or changes on defensive side is in order. It seems the problems are evident to everyone but the coaches. Maybe coaches can take a page out of JMU practice playbook and spend 20-30 minutes each practice having corners find the ball and work on catching it. Instead of having the underthrown ball hit them in the back.
On another note not making excuses for Drake game but the west coast trip, actually trip back from west coast, took a lot out of Flyers. Those travel arrangements were a disgrace and UD Athletics should be ashamed of themselves.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Can you enlighten us on the travel arrangements?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyers had 2pm game then after team was taken to eat at a place where to a man they said Golden Corral would seem like a 5 star restaurant. After dinner to airport for a 10pm flight to Chicago. Once in Chi town the Flyers had a 5 hour layover where according to several people the team was obviously exhausted and players were laying all over the terminal trying to catch an hour of sleep. Granted I’m sure a W would have made trip a bit easier but several players said that many people in terminal were stepping over them like they were in a homeless shelter. Flyers returned to campus late morning on Sunday with most players now awake for well over 24 hours. Many parents were told that in years past team stayed over Saturday and could eat with family if family made trip. Not sure if that’s true or not. All kidding aside it seemed like a scene out of a John Candy movie, not the “first class” team travel that is told to recruits. I’m sure down the road many players will certainly remember and laugh about trip but until then let’s hope for a 6-5 season and build towards a championship in 2019.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NYFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-24-2018), jack72 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
In the old days nobody could score on Dayton. If you scored 13pts you had an offensive explosion vs our D.

While we also typically scored 40 points. it didnt matter. We could score 17 and literally win almost every game of the season. Not the case anymore. In the last 10yrs we've had issue shutting teams down and been forced to outscore opponents. Giving up 20-30pts in a game is no longer the rare exception. In the old days nobody put 35pts on us except Augustana or UAB.

Admittedly I dont follow things as closely as others, but in my opinion it all starts on defense. Championship teams have championship defenses. Sooner or later when you go up against other teams with equal or better talent, its a fight to see who can limit the other team's chances in the red zone. You cant put up 35pts on everybody and just outscore them. Against good teams you need to learn how to win 17-10.

Not saying the offense doesnt need some work, but when I think of old school UD football, I think about a Berlin Wall type of defense that could stick a cork in just about anybody. You couldnt run on us, you couldnt pass on us. You were behind the chains on almost every possession and were kicking 49yd FGs to try to get something on the board.

The 80yd TD runs and TD receptions just never happened. Nobody gouged us with chunk plays. You'd have to go 16 plays and 85 yds and convert about four third-and-longs.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-24-2018), Flyer Gramps (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 AM
1st Lieutenant

There is a lot of good opinions here, but it is tough to compare a DIII team to a FCS team. The traditions of a great DIII program can carry over to FCS, but the flyers had to step it up when they went to FCS. Heck, the pioneer league never got respect until they got the automatic selection in the playoffs. In 2016 the flyers had finished as a better team in my opinion than USD and got ignored for an at large selection in the playoffs. Instead they put 4 teams from one conference in the playoffs, when clearly the flyers could make it past the first round like USD depending who they played. Lesser teams were selected for the playoffs, in my humble opinion. If the flyers played an opponent like USD, the results would probably have been the same. The prejudice against the pioneer league is obvious.

It may also be about dollars. The four teams from the one conference with 3 at large selections probably brought in more money at the gate.

Maybe our league got better and we are getting beat up more. The only way to know is to see what happens in the playoffs, but hell will freeze over before a pioneer league team gets an at large spot.

Last edited by skyflyerfan; 10-24-2018 at 08:22 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to skyflyerfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-24-2018), PittsburghFlyer (11-06-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
To NYFLYERFAN, Sorry to hear about the "sorry" team travel to San Diego. That should have been the best trip for team & parents - as it was a few years ago. They had a 4pm (California time) game & players could go out with parents after because it was another overnight. Don't know where the players without "dates" ate.

Sounds like a cost savings the way it was done this year. Shame on UD!

Re days of yore with a UD defense, our leader may have been referring to Div. 1 UD teams. In 2007 San Diego scored 16 points against us. In 2008 they got 22, in 2009 14, in 2010 20 and lost to our 21.

In my humble opinion, there still is a thick thread in our defensive coaching (and history) that was spun in the days of running with the football. We need to develop a thicker thread for the current passing game. I can't wait for the next Kansas City Chiefs game on my TV to watch offensive plays like no other Pro team uses and a QB with a photographic memory!

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 10-24-2018 at 10:16 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-26-2018), skyflyerfan (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
NY Flyer – If my memory serves me right, two years ago when the team headed out to SD, they had a long layover in Atlanta. I kind of chuckle thinking about it, 50+ boys laying around a highly congested airport terminal, all dressed in the same BRIGHT RED outfits (you should be thankful they changed to dark blue). Oddly, enough, my son mentioned Valpo had a layover at the same time in Atlanta. Both teams hanging in the same area, one in all red, and the other in whatever the god-awful colors Valpo has. It had to be a sight to see.

On the football side of things, despite the apparent downward trend of the program, I am extremely comfortable knowing my son, through football, was able to get a quality education, a quality experience, and was able to get a very good start in the real world. That is what I ended up being thankful for. The records didn’t seem to matter as much. As much as I love Dayton football (and I will always follow it) most people barely know Dayton football exists.

Our family came to Dayton several years ago excited about the possibility our son tearing up the college football world. College football is not easy and reality set in pretty quickly. We made the hours long trek to Dayton religiously with the hope that he would start seeing the field. Many times we thought it would never happen. He finally got his opportunity and we were proud of what he accomplished (it seemed like completing four years of football was an accomplishment in itself).

That was all well and good. What I am trying to get at, though, is we left Dayton not so much missing the football (we do) but all the wonderful parents and kids we were able to meet along the way. We wish we could have met people earlier and met more people. This includes Gramps who many of us were eager to meet at Davidson last year but he was unable to attend the game. It is somewhat heartbreaking not knowing if we will ever see these wonderful people again.

Dayton and Dayton Flyer football left an incredible impression on our family. We will cherish it for a very, very long time.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-26-2018), Flyer Gramps (10-25-2018), FlyerIllini (10-25-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-25-2018), PittsburghFlyer (11-06-2018), skyflyerfan (10-24-2018), ud69 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 AM
1st Lieutenant

NEO, I get the whole layover thing and the bonding that a team shares but a 5 hour layover after a red eye ain’t easy lol. It wasn’t just the parents complaining it was every player that traveled that said it was brutal. With that being said I’m with you on fact that I wouldn’t trade the experience my son is receiving for anything. We have met some, hell every parent and player we have met is awesome. We were all laughing at tailgate how selfish we are as parents hoping our sons do a “5th” year so we can have another great year of tailgating!! 🍺🍺 It sucks knowing that with just a few adjustments this team could easily be 7-1,6-2 or at worst 5-3. That’s life !! Flyers need to finish strong work their tails off in off season and show the PFL these last 2 years were an aberration. Good Luck at Butler!!
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NYFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-26-2018), Flyer Gramps (10-25-2018), NEOFlyer (10-25-2018), Showme Flyer (10-25-2018), skyflyerfan (10-30-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
NY -- It would be great if they win out and I am hoping they do.

Sorry, the travel sucked. I do also remember the complaints on the travel back from SD two years ago even though they stayed an extra day.

We too were selfishly hoping our son would play a 5th year for the very reasons
you mentioned. Looking back, though, if he had stayed for the 5th year, i seriously doubt he would have landed the very good job that he has now. Somewhat of a silver lining.

GO FLYERS!! I wonder which Butler will show up this week. The one that beat YSU or the one that got stomped by Valpo
Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 02:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wondering what Flyers show up as well!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to NYFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Further to NEO Flyer's comments....we lived on the other side of the county from you and like you, two grandpa's did a "What, Where"? when we heard of the school our grandson would attend. We both knew about UD basketball, but not football.

And now I'm so proud that he went there. While we met a few parents. we didn't get the experience that you guys have enjoyed with each other. I know more friends & alums of the school than parents. That's why our trip to SD was so great - got to see the parents in the motel, the Friday workout, the restaurant after the game. BTW, five players lived together for four years and now four of them are married. They've been at each other's wedding but so too have THEIR PARENTS BEEN AT EACH WEDDING! (The 5th one is scheduled for vows next summer) Some parents have too much fun!

Would you believe that I made friends with the father of a Butler football star? That strangers have asked for specific photos from games they knew I attended? I have more UD friends than from my own college experience. I certainly hope that every parent of a UD footballer ends up with special good memories regardless of how many snaps your boy took, how bad his injuries were or what the won-loss record was. God Bless you for supporting him and the program. I love ya'all!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-26-2018), FlyerIllini (10-25-2018), NEOFlyer (10-26-2018), PittsburghFlyer (11-06-2018), skyflyerfan (10-26-2018)