UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2013 Match Threads

2013 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 11:24 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
LaSalle I Thread

Flyers sweep 3-0. Not much of a surprise.

What was a surprise though, was the lineups. I can only suppose Coach decided to rest some players knowing that we had a good chance to win with our backups.

Megan Campbell and Alaina Turner did not play. Yes, you read that right. DID NOT PLAY! Angel Agu and Alyssa Beach both played instead. I suppose that blows Beach's redshirt year now. At first I thought that maybe they had missed the '1' in their stat program, you know, #12 Campbell, not #2 Beach, but the gallery definately shows #2 playing, so there you have it.

Next game is a big one for UD. At VCU. The girls really need to win that game to get back in the thick of things for a regular season title. Sure, they need outside help from VCU, but splitting with them for the year will be good.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-05-2013)
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2013, 01:25 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yes you are right both Turner and Campbell did not play but that wasn't the only surprise. Shayne Brown played outside hitter. The decision to play Beach may be due in part that Turner is not getting the job done on a consistent basis, ergo the need to work Brown there as well. Its not Turners fault because are double teaming her, figuring her inexperience (soph) would help nutralize the outside. Shayne being a senior willbring some experience to that position if need be. In that case Beach may see more pt.

With Shayne playing outside hitter and the insertion of Beach will make VCU rethink their strategy against the flyers. Probably just to throw them off, but then that may be a good option.

We'll find out Sunday at 1pm. Go Flyers, retake the A-10.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, Shayne with 14 kills hitting .407 her first game as an outside hitter! Shayne hits the ball HARD and FAST, tough to dig and someone had suggested that she play outside hitter. It will be interesting to see who plays on Sunday. I am curious whether Shayne played all rotations or if she came out when in the back row. Her passing has improved a lot but I don't remember ever seeing her returning serve.

Thanks for the info, both of you
Old 10-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
With Shayne playing outside hitter and the insertion of Beach will make VCU rethink their strategy against the flyers. Probably just to throw them off, but then that may be a good option.
We lost to VCU, at home, last week in 5 sets. I don't see Beach getting any action tomorrow.

As for Shayne playing leftside, I'm not sure what they would do. Will they swap Alaina and Shayne on the outsides? Have Loiars back up Shayne like she did last night on the left? So, middle would be Megan/Isolde/Angel for the 6 rotations with Isolde/Angel swapping places on coaches decision, then you would have Jenna/Alaina(?) on right? And Shayne/Loiars on left, with Jenna and Alaina doing back row duties?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I am curious whether Shayne played all rotations or if she came out when in the back row. Her passing has improved a lot but I don't remember ever seeing her returning serve.
Looking at the box score, she did not play back row. The standard of she serves, and when we side out, Applegate takes her place.

Trying to put together how they rotated last night, and it took me a little while to follow.

Jendryk played all 6 rotations, but noone else did from what I can tell. Looks like Z/Angel were MB, Shayne/Loiars were left, and Jendryk/Beach were rightside. Angel served instead of Megan's serve, and Krafka swapped in when the side out occurred for Angel. Krafka served for Z. Morey, Jones and Applegate were back row, with Jendryk doing 6 rotations, and Krafka taking Angel and Z's defensive spots.

If I did it right, this is what it looked like:
1: Jendryk Krafka/Agu Applegate / Beach Hannan Loiars
2: Morey/Loiars Jendryk Krafka / Brown Beach Hannan
3: Krafka/Hannan Morey Jendryk / Agu Brown Beach
4: Jones Krafka Morey / L:Jendryk Agu Brown
5: Brown/Applegate Jones Krafka / L:Loiars Jendryk Agu
6: Agu/Krafka Applegate Jones / L:Hannan Loiars Jendryk

Morey and Krafka got most of the serves for the team, 38 out of 73. They got points on 26 of the 38 serves for a 68.4% clip. That's nice. (Jendryk went 1/4 on the night with 2 service errors...)
Old 10-05-2013, 02:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
We lost to VCU, at home, last week in 5 sets. I don't see Beach getting any action tomorrow.

As for Shayne playing leftside, I'm not sure what they would do. Will they swap Alaina and Shayne on the outsides? Have Loiars back up Shayne like she did last night on the left? So, middle would be Megan/Isolde/Angel for the 6 rotations with Isolde/Angel swapping places on coaches decision, then you would have Jenna/Alaina(?) on right? And Shayne/Loiars on left, with Jenna and Alaina doing back row duties?
I wouldn't be surprised if Beach got pt tomorrow as Turner has not gotten the job done on the outside. Matt has to shake things up and if Turner don't get the job done in the first set I would expect to see Shayne move to the outside. Turner has a great serve but is usually followed by a serve error. We cannot afford to give 13 serve errors to VCU like we did SLU. Turner had 5 of those 13 serve errors.

Problem is we usually look good on first set then melt. Beach could hold her own for a set while Shayne bolsters our weakness on the outside. Matt has to pull out all the stops to upright the ship. When Turner is on she is unstoppable but when she is not.....

Against SLU Matt substituted Applegate to serve for Turner and she too had a net serve error. No room for error tomorrow if we expect to be in the top tier at seasons end.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:01 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post

It is impossible to know if the lineup would be shayne and Jill a****ters the left side hitters or shayne and alaina. But, alaina will not swap positions with shayne. Alaina will either play left side or not at all.

I thought that if shayne played left side they would sub her out in the back row which they did
Old 10-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,462 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Okay - team hit .390 against LaSalle -- but it's LaSalle so don't get too excited folks. However, can't wait to see the VCU match on Sunday.

All that said, really, really, really glad to see Shayne on the left. Beach on the right was a surprise. I would have thought it would have been Z or Angel to save Beach's readshirt year -- which I'm 99.8% sure they wanted to red shirt her or we would have seen her before now. So my take is Turner is hurt - hopefully it's not serious and maybe just a little more rest headed into VCU????? Traditionally we hold out some starters against LaSalle, but not to insert a redshirt candidate.

Line up on Sunday will tell us a lot more. But UDBrian is correct, with Turner out of the line up, who plays all 6 rotations will be a huge issue. It didn't matter against LaSalle because no set was going to be long -- we closed them out fast and substitution limits never came into play so we could sub out all 3 OHs and both MBs without a problem. We get sets where both teams score in the 20's and sub limits will come into play for us if we are trying to sub everyone again. Shayne has on occasion played some back row -- but it's been limited. Loiars and the middles will not be playing back row. And we have no reference on Beach. I would have played whoever in the backrow against LaSalle just to get some experience even against a weaker team.

Also -- on another note. Was in a Vegas bar on Thursday afternoon watching Penn State vs Indiana. PSU has a local Dayton girl playing - Megan Courtney. She was wearing a dark pink ribbon in her hair with #14 Kacie on it. She played club ball at Dayton Juniors when she was younger and would have known the Hausfeld sisters. Very nice to see. #Flyersrepresent

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-05-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (10-05-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 11:34 AM
General of the Air Force

Matt mentioned in his interview that he wanted to get players ready for the sunday match. I think that Alaina probably starts at one left outside position and Shayne starts at the other one. I would guess that Alyssa Beach plays right side just as she did on Friday. Unless Megan is seriously injured she will start today and probably have Isolde as the #2 middle.

Even if that guess is correct I'm wondering if they would play Shayne as #1 left outside or #2 left outside. They have stats on all the games, maybe alaina doesn't play as well on the 2nd match of the weekend? This is just a guess, I don't have any inside info and I didn't even stay at a holiday inn express! Any other opinions?
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-06-2013)