UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball > Archived Seasonal Game Threads > 2010-2011 Game Threads

2010-2011 Game Threads Specific threads dedicated to each home and away game for UD Men's Basketball.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,569 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
WH's A10 Predictions

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlan...26-dayton.html

DAYTON

W - MT SAINT MARYS
W - AKRON
W - at Ole Miss
W - SAVANNAH STATE
W - FLORIDA A&M
L - At Cincinnati
W - EAST TENNESSEE STATE
W - MIAMI
W - CENTRAL CONN STATE
L - At Old Dominion
W - WESTERN CAROLINA
W - WINTHROP
L - At Seton Hall
W - GEORGE MASON
W - NEW MEXICO

12-3 Nonconference

The key to Dayton's succcess this year will depend on the following: solid point play from touted frosh Juwan Staten and transfer Josh Parker; improved outside shooting by the likes of Parker, Paul Williams, Chris Johnson and others; better production down low from Searcy, Benson and Kavanaugh; and the development of several reliable bench players.

I expect this team to be the best one in the Gregory era, even better by year end than the team that won the NIT. Wright and C. Johnson are two of the best players in the league. The Flyers have more balance and better outside shooting. They should get more offensive production at point and center, without much dropoff in defense. All the experience will also help.

The Flyers start off easy with Mt Saint Marys. Akron is always good under coach Keith Dambrot, but the team is young and ripe. Ole Miss has a borderline NCAA team on paper, but Dayton gets them at the right time. I expect the Flyers to lose to Ole Miss or Cincy, but not both. Cincy gets some home cooking.

East Tennessee is always one of the best teams in its conference and is capable of an upset. So is Miami of Ohio. I could see Dayton falling asleep in one of these games, but I call them both a win. ODU returns four starters and they are always tough at home. Western Carolina is not as talented as last year's 20-win team and Winthrop struggles to score. Dayton should win both at home.

Seton Hall is arguably the only team on Dayton's schedule with just as much talent. This is a tough game if Herb Pope plays. Hazell is a terrific scoring guard. Mason returns all five starters and gave the Flyers a scare last season. I expect GM to give Dayton a scare once again. Finally the Flyers get revenge on a New Mexico team that falls a bit from last year's exalted perch.

BONUS

A-10 PREDICTION: 11-5.

The Flyers pair up with Xavier, Duquesne and St. Louis. They go to UMass, LaSalle, URI and GW on the road. Not the toughest among unbalanced skeds. It's favorable enough to merit a 12-4 finish, but I go a bit conservative based on Dayton's historic road woes in the A-10.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, I think this Dayton team should be better than I predict. If Staten plays as advertised and Parker is a big help, the Flyers should win the A-10. I expect Paul Williams to have a big year, CJ to make another leap and CW to make up for last year's "relative" disappointment. No reason Benson can't be one of the league's better bigmen, either.

On the Cincy game: I know it's not at the Bearcats' true home arena, but it's still in Cincy and these regional rivalry games are tough. Cincy will be looking for revenge from the NIT loss and they will play HARD. I know you know we can count on that.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.basketballforum.com/atlan...tive-view.html

Per WH:

All-CONFERENCE TEAMS: (Yet) Another Alternative View
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Juan Fernandez

FIRST TEAM

Juan Fernandez – best all-round player in the league.

Kevin Anderson – If reports of improved jumper are true, he’ll repeat as POY.

Lavoy Allen – No low-post player does more for his team.

Damian Saunders – Jack of all trades has highest motor in the A-10.

Chris Wright – League’s most athletically and physically imposing player.

SECOND TEAM

Andrew Nicholson – A First Teamer if he stays out of foul trouble.

Shamari Spears – Inside-out forward will have a dominant senior season.

Delroy James – Most explosive two-way player in the conference.

Aaric Murray- Huge talent can make treys, block shots. Ready to break out.

Chris Johnson – Tour de force scorer and rebounder when he’s on his game.

THIRD TEAM

Tu Holliday – smart, tough, clutch. A better J puts him in the same class as KA and Juan.

Justin Harper – Versatile big forward finally playing like an NBA prospect.

Chris Gaston – Almost impossible to guard one on one with his range of skills.

B.J. Monteiro – Most underrated and underappreciated player in the A-10. Get ready.

Lasan Kromah – Potential NBA prospect with his size, skills and shooting ability.

BONUS: FOURTH TEAM

Chris Braswell – Next-gen A-10 star already rebounds and blocks shots. Scoring comes next.

Terrell Vinson – Another next-gen star in the A-10 with an advanced inside game.

Cody Ellis – Smooth shooter and passer will be even better now that he’s in shape.

Ramone Moore – The most gifted natural scorer in the league this side of Delroy James.

Akeem Richmond – Best pure shooter in the league will really light it up this year.

Anthony Gurley – Strong-bodied scoring guard has been forgotten, but he will be heard.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Lavoy Allen – best all-round defender in the league by a wide margin.

ALL DEFENSIVE TEAM
Lavoy Allen
Damian Saunders
Kevin Anderson
B.J. Monteiro
Dante Jackson
Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Commander in Chief

WH Ranking the A10 Coaches:

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlan...coaches-3.html

Re: Ranking the Coaches
There are two ways to rank coaches in broad terms: lifetime achievement or shorter-term window.

Lifetime achievement evaluates coaches over a career, recognizing that most have peaks and valleys. John Chaney is a Hall of Fame coach, but he was clearly fading in his last 5 years, at least based on comparison to his earlier career.

From a lifetime approach, Majerus is clearly No. 1 and Dunphy No. 2. Martelli is third and Baron fourth.

I have based my evaluations in prior years on effectively a four-year moving average – judging coaches by their most recent performance. Charlotte’s new coach is a complete unknown since this is his first year, and Chris Mack really should not be judged yet. But I will.

1)Fran Dunphy. His teams are always well balanced and fundamentally sound on offense and defense. They don’t beat themselves. Dunphy is also the best coach in the league at developing players. His big downside is so-so recruiting. You’d think Temple would be getting higher-level recruits after three straight NCAA appearances and A-10 tourney titles. With Xavier-level talent, the Owls would be a Final 4 threat every so often.

2)Chris Mooney. Great rebuilding job at Richmond. Mooney has a good eye for talent and has recruited very well. He would do even better at a bigger school. The offense is well organized and the Spiders have become an above-average defensive team. Mooney is almost like Dunphy lite, though he has to have the same success for a number of years to match him. One caveat: the Spiders suffer more bouts of inconsistency than Temple.

3)Brian Gregory. Gregory has recruited exceedingly well at Dayton despite some problems finding a topflight point guard. His teams are athletic, tough and physical. Sure, the offense has been a sore spot at times, and Dayton still isn’t a consistently good road team, but Gregory’s pluses far outweigh his minuses. I think he grew a ton as a coach last year and we’ll see the fruits of it this season.

4)Rick Majerus. Big Rick looks ready to take his place in the top two if there are no roster disruptions this season. SLU has massively upgraded its talent level and the team is very organized at both ends of the floor. RM has a good eye for talent and develops players almost as well as Dunphy. He is the best coach in the league when he’s at the top of his game. The question is, does he still have a fastball? We’re about to find out.

5)Jim Baron. The Baron is recruiting as well as he’s ever done and the Rams have been consistent winners over the past four years with … 89 wins! Hard to believe because URI has not made the NCAA tournament over that span. And that’s the problem to Rhody fans. Whatever Baron’s merit as a coach, postseason success (NCAAs) has eluded him. Fans rightly question whether he’s taken the program as far as it can go. Give Baron this. He’s willing to reinvent himself as a coach to find success. Most coaches are afraid of change.

6)Phil Martell. The second-longest serving coach in the A-10 has won fast and won slow, but lately he hasn’t won much at all. Martelli is a terrific X and Os guy when he has the right personnel. Problem is, his recruiting and player retention have been very spotty the past few years. This is a sideways program at the moment. I am not sure Martelli can get back to being the coach he was, either.

7)Chris Mack. He’s only been a head coach one year, but Mack grew steadily as a rookie boss and Xavier looked pretty ****ed good by season’s end. The offense smoothened out and the defense solidified. Those are marks of good coaching. What’s more, Mack is recruiting on paper as well as any coach in league history, based on his current and pending classes. Quite the fast start, even with all the advantages the Xavier program conferred upon him.

8)Ron Everhart. RE has made a dismal program respectable in short order. Ask Fordham how hard that is to do. He finds good players in odd places and plays an exciting brand of ball. Every A-10 opponent has to be ready for Duquesne these days because no one knows what to expect. Now, can Everhart stabilize the talent base and bring more consistency to both sides of the ball? The Dukes have been helter skelter under his leadership.

9)Karl Hobbs. Hobbs has been very uneven the past four years, but he might be back on the rise. He took a very young squad last year and made it respectable right away. I saw more intensity and energy and just better play all around. Hobbs is into coaching again and no longer resentful on the sidelines after missing out on a big job. He did a great job recruiting for last year’s class and seemed to have followed up with more solid recruits. On his best days, Hobbs is one of the finest teachers of fastbreak basketball in the NCAA. I think he would do even better as a coach and recruiter at a high-level school in the SEC.

10)John Giannini. Dr G has been up and down in his A-10 tenure. He has proven he can coach and recruit, but not consistently. His teams often lack a key part or two and he can’t seem to get the offense and defense functioning properly at the same time. Partly that’s because of an unbalance roster that’s lacked sufficient ball handlers and shooters. It seems G has rectified those problems, though roster depth is shallow. Whether the fault is the coach or the school, LaSalle just needs to get all its ducks in a row to truly contend.

11)Tom Pecora. The new Fordham coach posted some excellent seasons in the Colonial. He has a good eye for talent and is a great motivator. Yet he never managed to break into the top echelon of a lesser league. Nor has he garnered an invitation to the NCAAs. I need to see how he does in the A-10 for at least a year to properly evaluate him.

12)Mark Schmidt. Former Xavier assistant has recruited better than I expected, but like Giannini, he can’t seem to accumulate all the necessary components of his roster at the same time. It feels like Bonaventure is running in place after Schmidt made the program respectable again. I don’t think the Bonnies have excelled offensively or defensively. They don’t really stand out in any one way.

13)Dereck Kellogg. Two years into his coaching career the jury is still out on the former UMass point guard. Sometimes the team looks great, sometimes it looks terrible. DK appears to be a terrific recruiter. He is bringing in loads of topflight talent.Yet the offense is erratic and the defense has been subpar. I don’t get the sense yet that DK has a handle on everything required of a coach.

14)Alan Major – incomplete. I like how much he’s talked about defense and he seems to be recruiting well in his first season. Changing a coach is always a gamble, but it was worth taking in Charlotte’s case. I am excited again about the Niners.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:45 PM

jcubspoe will become famous soon enoughjcubspoe will become famous soon enough
Just wanted to add that WH feels that with the loss of Redford, that could equate to 1-3 more losses for X, more if Martin is ruled ineligible.