Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Attack of the Emails!
Attack of the Emails!
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-02-2008
Attack of the Emails!

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) –- Time to unleash a can of emails on y’all. Here we go.

The first entry is from an expatriate Flyer fan:

I am a Flyer fan since 1961-62 and a transplanted Daytonian living in Iowa City in Hawkeyeville. I just wish we would schedule Iowa so I could bring my trombone to Carver and play the UD fight song. I am an Indiana grad so this is a lot like 1984 when both IU and the Flyers were in the Elite Eight. Unfortunately both lost. IU had beaten MJ and NC and then blew it all to Virginia and UD of course got nailed by Georgetown. Painful but it was fun while it lasted.

Also similarities with Drake who like the Flyers went to the Final 4 in 1969 after we did in 1967. Both teams are awesome this year. It is a lot of fun for me to see the Flyers on my new computer this year. I don't get cable or want it so it is fun seeing them online for the first time in 17 years.

Keep up the good work and I hope we beat the Mushkies at least TWICE this year for a change. Thanks again for all you do.

Joe Page
Iowa City IA

GO FLYERS!

Joe obviously wrote to me before the first X game. I wouldn’t hold your breath on seeing that UD/Iowa game anytime soon, Joe.

Next up, I got a few notes after my “Half Empty/Half Full” column:

Thanks. I needed that.

I could not even get on the UDPride board for a few days because some of the messages. I too recall the ND games, UCLA and the tough JOB years (I went to UD for my BA and JD, sandwiched around a teaching fellowship and grad school elsewhere). Every year, I truly believe that the Flyers will go undefeated. Reasonable, well no; however, it shows how deeply my beloved Flyers are part of my life.

Take care.

Mike Mutek

GO FLYERS!

I think we all know what you mean, Mike. After 34 years of marriage, my wife still doesn’t get why I care so much about Flyer hoops –- and I don’t even yell at the computer nearly as much as I used to.

Another response to my response to the X game from a fellow former UH resident:

Swampy:

Great article! We don't need to be ranked-they just need to get back to winning and I am confident they will. And it can't hurt that Thomas, Searcy and Perry are getting playing time now. When that A-10 tourney starts with one game after another they are going to need to spread the minutes to spell the regulars-not the time for getting your feet wet. This experience could end up paying big dividends. You are so right--adversity is when you find out what you are made of.

Go Flyers!

Frank Floriani '72

“That which doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger” I always say, Frank.

The next coupla emails are a dialogue I had with reader Bob Heidkamp about the triple overtime game vs. UCLA in 1974:

By the by, Swamphog, you got it dead wrong about the 1974 NCAA game and the timeout. It was called and signaled by the referees long before Donald uncorked that shot (you couldn't hear the whistle for the crowd noise). So don't ever try to infer something about the greatest basketball coach this city's ever had.

I replied to Bob thusly:

Bob:

I wasn't faulting Mickey--it was just a case of bad timing. Had he not called it, Donald's jumper would have given UD the lead.

Swampy

Which didn’t sit so well with Mr. H:

WHAT I AM TRYING TO TELL YOU IS, YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVEN MAKING THE INFERENCE. THE TIMEOUT (AND THIS IN ON THE FILM, BECAUSE I WAS IN DONOHER'S COACHING CLASS AND SAW IT MYSELF) WAS CALLED AND WHISTLED BEFORE SMITTY EVEN GOT THE BALL IN HIS HANDS. CHECK IT YOURSELF AND CLARIFY WITH YOUR READERS (WHICH, OF COURSE, YOU WON'T, AS IT'S YOUR COLUMN, AND YOU KNOW EVERYTHING UD-WISE). YOU MAKE IT SOUND LIKE COACH DONOHER DELIBERATELY MESSED UP THE GAME WINNING SHOT WHEN THE FACT IS, UCLA IS WALKING TOWARD THE BENCH BECAUSE THE TIMEOUT HAD ALREADY BEEN CALLED.

BH

My response was this:

Bob:

No need to get huffy, dude. I don't know everything and have never professed to know all. I'm relying on my memory of a game that happened 34 years ago; you have obviously analyzed tape of it. I'll note your correction in a future FTS.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Swampy

Which was okay by Bob:

I KNOW Coach Donoher will appreciate that. He has torn that tape apart so many times, punishing himself for no reason (taking arguably the greatest college team in NCAA history to the limit, and second-guessing himself needlessly). And the thing that bugs him the most, is that your perception (an incorrect one) is exactly what a whole lot of people THINK happened. Sorry for barking, but there's never been a greater injustice in basketball than what Frericks and "the boosters" did to a great coach, and an even better person. So, his accomplishments don't need to be screwed with, embellished, or incorrectly interpreted. They speak for themselves.

He is a Hall of Famer…in life as well as basketball.

Amen, Bob.

I got this rather cryptic message from one Amita Snyder after the “Half Empty/Half Full” column ended with the prediction that UD will get its collective sh*t together on 2/24:

.........dream on............it's over......... X fan

Which produced this response:

..………REM sleeping.......just gettin' started.......see you on the 24th

Finally, like most of you, I couldn’t understand how in the world a dude with a broken foot could be back playing hoops in only 17 days like Charles just managed to do. So I emailed the future Dr. Younger Swampette the analysis of his injury from the DDN and she wrote back:

Dad:

Sesamoids are a general class of bones that are found embedded in tendons near joints that basically function to make the muscle’s job easier. Sesamoids are inherently unique, as their location and shape is not the same in every body. About 25% of people may have a bipartite sesamoid, meaning that the bone is actually made up of two fragments. This anatomical variation is usually found bilaterally so differentiation between a sesamoid fracture and bipartite sesamoids is simple—do an x-ray of the other side. This is what UD’s athletic trainer is implying was the case with Little. Little’s foot pain may be caused by sesamoiditis (inflammation around the sesamoid), turf toe (a tear in the joint capsule of the big toe), or another such condition. All of these possible diagnoses are much more less severe than a sesamoid fracture, which may have put Little out for up to six weeks (for immobilization and rehabilitation).

Caitlin

Everybody got that? You better have, ‘cause there will be a quiz in the morning.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”

You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools