User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 12:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
SDU game

A once Proud football program.....

SDU 21 UD 0

Offense = Vanilla

Defense = Sieve

With 104 left in first half Dayton adds some Hershey syrup on the vanilla offense and scores

Halftime SDU 21 UD 7

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 09-30-2017 at 01:13 PM..
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2017, 01:21 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Happy to see that the longstanding record by UD football of not being shutout is still in tact by halftime.

Sorry to report that my expectations were greater because of all the returnees.

Kudos to the Torreros for being so ready at the start of a 9am game their time.

I did learn how to scroll the F.B page for FCS live by the time the score was 0-14. Oh well, never too old to learn.
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Broadcast said they came in on Thursday to acclimate to the time change.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 02:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
San Diego was by far the better team led in all categories except one.

Dayton won the penalties category.

Perhaps Mike Kelly will have to re evaluate the football program, going in the wrong direction, especially with the number of returnees.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Does this result make red-shirting Jeske a near certainty- if he wishes?
Old 09-30-2017, 05:42 PM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
Didn't Jeske red shirt already?? If he could do a 2nd that's a very expensive proposition. Flyers got dominated on both sides of the ball today a 6-5 team at best this year. Looks like the PFL will be USD, Jville, Marist, hope Flyers sneak in at 4th.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NYFLYERFAN View Post
Didn't Jeske red shirt already??
Posted via Mobile Device

You are correct. I should have said skip this year entirely and come back for next year. No sense rushing back from current injury.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Need feedback if anyone saw a replay on a couple plays.

There was a play where a pass was thrown (North end) and a pass interference was called against U.D. Thought it should have gone the other way for pushing off. I believe this was the first of many interference calls.

The other play is where San Diego receiver stopped at first down marker, but came back a good 1-1/2 to 2 yards thinking we stopped S.D. and the officials gave them a spot not where he caught the ball but where he stopped before he came back to catch the ball.

Would like to see our Q.B. look off to where he is going to throw the ball. Thought he looked at the intended receiver too many times. Thoughts?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Captain

PittsburghFlyer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Flyer Dave View Post
There was a play where a pass was thrown (North end) and a pass interference was called against U.D. Thought it should have gone the other way for pushing off. I believe this was the first of many interference calls.

The other play is where San Diego receiver stopped at first down marker, but came back a good 1-1/2 to 2 yards thinking we stopped S.D. and the officials gave them a spot not where he caught the ball but where he stopped before he came back to catch the ball.

Would like to see our Q.B. look off to where he is going to throw the ball. Thought he looked at the intended receiver too many times. Thoughts?
FD, You are correct on the offensive interference calls. There were 2 or 3 they called on us that should have been on San Diego. The one you speak of was Dewelley in the 3rd Q were he hammered our guy at the Dayton 3 yard line to gain a big advantage. The guy is 6'5", not sure how the ref missed that one.

In terms of the the QB, you are correct. He does not look anyone off. In his defense, he is a new starter and I think he has played fairly well. However, he is not as dynamic as Jeske. The Flyers really miss his leadership.

Overall, this game was a tale of two halves. In the first half, San Diego scored on all their possessions except for one. The Dayton defense did look very porous in the first half. The O in the first half was ok. Nothing spectacular, but put 7 on the board. Second half O tanked and D picked it up. Only score in second half was a safety.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
A once Proud football program.....
Avid: While I may be alone, I think it's still a proud football program.

Admittedly, I don't have the history with Flyer FB that some of you have. Indeed, four years ago, I knew very little about the University of Dayton or it's FB program. Over the past four years, I've become incredibly proud to have my son associated with this program. I'm equally proud to have met so many remarkable young men who make sacrifices that I, for one, never would have made at that age.

Like the rest of Flyer nation, I'm deeply disappointed in the way the season has gone thus far. Without getting into specifics, I also fully recognize that the program has flaws, and that it needs to adapt and change. Having said that, this program is 2 years removed from a PFL championship and its first FCS playoff birth. Last season, this program went 9-2. Again, it's clear that other programs have caught up, and that the entire coaching staff needs to re-evaluate where the FB program is headed. Despite the flaws and disappointment, however, I'm going to remain proud to have my son associated with Dayton FB, and proud of all of these amazing young men.

Note to Avid: My response above isn't directed at you personally. Rather, I'm merely using your comment as a springboard to respond to a sentiment I've heard quite a bit this year. I hope you're not offended and take it in the spirit I intend.

Last edited by FlyerIllini; 10-02-2017 at 11:01 AM..
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-02-2017), Cardsflyer (10-02-2017), Flyer Gramps (10-02-2017), jaburr91 (10-02-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-02-2017), PIONEER 8 (10-03-2017), Showme Flyer (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 11:13 AM
1st Lieutenant

Well said Illini and I agree with you. Let's see Flyers finish strong at 7-4 and carry momentum into the 2018 campaign as well. Go Flyers
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to NYFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
PIONEER 8 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 12:32 PM
General of the Air Force

I've followed the flyers since I was a young lad back in the 50s. We never made it to the big time but was always fun to support. Then we went DIII and eventually PFL where we were the standard bares and THEE program under Mike Kelly. So I have a long history with the strongest memories being the Mike Kelly era.

The one thing we as flyers can always be proud of is that UD is classy and does it right. My statement was in regard to the pang were going through even though we have a recent championship we are not the flagship program we were under Kelley.

Many programs have closed the gap with some taking a championship now an then. But San Diego has taken our place as the flagship (in my mind) with UD as the perinial second place. We are now like the other programs capable of winning it out right every once in a while. No longer the top dog everyone is chasing, but now we too are chasing the top dog.

I know some of the coaches, great people but question the preparation and the x and o of the game.

Basically still a proud football program in every aspect but results since Kelly era. Bottom line I'm spoiled.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 10-02-2017 at 12:40 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (10-02-2017), FlyerIllini (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
A little perspective may help, Rick Carter went 39-7-2 for a .813 winning percentage. UD at the time was Div.III and had a decided advantage in the type of schools we played, thus the 'Dayton Rule", the NCAA instituted requiring a school to compete in only one level of competition for all it's sports, UD chose Div. I FCS (1-AA at the time) for football. Mike Kelly went 246-54-1 with a winning percentage 0f .819. His average finnish in the PFL was 1.87. Rick Chamberlain has gone 74-28, not counting this year, with a winning percentage of .685 and an average finish in the PFL of 2.8. While the level of competition has varied over the years, it is safe to say that the program, while still successful, has regressed somewhat over the RC tenure. The fact that SDU has become a big factor in the PFL has contributed to the dropoff under RC. Like to see us have a winning season but unless there is a change in the quality of play, that may be problematic.

Last edited by UD62; 10-02-2017 at 03:51 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (10-02-2017), Avid Flyer (10-02-2017), FlyerIllini (10-02-2017), Showme Flyer (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 09:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

RC definitely has a tough act to follow but I think the reason several schools such as USD, Jacksonville, Marist to an extent and a few others are knocking on the door is the commitment from the school administrations. Let's face it UD is a hoops school, nothing wrong with that but just a shame that these players kind of get shortchanged in the "D1 Experience". USD has its location going for it and their facilities have improved. Same goes for JU, the coaching staff there are predominantly former West Point coaches who told the school what they need to be successful. Marist just raised 2 million dollars just for football. A wealthy alum ironically named Rich said he would donate 1 million if alum could raise 1 million. Goal was met and first thing they did was install new turf. Next up is a football only weight room and locker room improvements. Foxes were also all outfitted with new state of art helmets. These schools are taking notice and making upgrades to locker rooms and other facilities that they can show off to recruits. Flyers play in the Old Gray Lady and Dayton Oublic schools dictate what can and cant be done. I believe Valpo also has new locker room. These Flyers are a proud and dedicated bunch. They wear their 2 tee shirts and shorts and a sweatshirt with pride . I know games are won on the field but if you don't change with the times, then they pass you by. All in all Flyers had some key injuries and if completely healthy would most likely be 4-1. RCbeen around program forever and I'm sure it's not lost on him what is happening within the PFL. Maybe some influential alums can approach admin to provide football with better resources. Then again winning solves alot of problems so hopefully Flyers run the table , which they are definitely capable of doing and start building for a 2018 championship run. Sorry for rambling. Go Flyers
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NYFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-03-2017), Showme Flyer (10-02-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with what NYFLYERFAN said and to take it further we should be playing in a stadium on campus. I have heard for years this is going to happen. Yet it is always about money or where would they put it...blah blah blah...get this done UD.

I think having it easier for students to go to a game and scream and yell for their classmates would boost the program. I can't believe this would be that big of an outlay of money. They can go to the arena or wherever they go for practice and lifting and whatever else they need, but play your games on campus and get some students in there. The regular fans and parents will still show up to support the program, but make it hard for our opponents to hear with a stadium where the fans are right on top of them.

I think this would change the players outlook on each game and season as well. State of the art facilities and a place that you take pride in changes things a lot for a kids outlook (fans too)

I make this pledge that if I ever win the lottery...after the bills and family are taken care of (and a few close friends) the UD administration building and athletic office is the first place I visit...it would get done then.

Go Flyers
Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
1st Lieutenant

Since we agree I consider myself a "close friend" now $$$$. lol I look at what new coach at Columbia has accomplished in 2 years and they play games 5 miles from campus but he makes sure they have the best of uniforms added a strength coach great practice facilities and best equiptment and outfits the players in the "swag" that this generation loves. Doesn't cost as much as we think. Difference is school president went to him and said why can't we be top program in Ivy? Alums want to know. Coach Bagnoli said give me a bubble practice facility extra strength coach improved football weight room and let me show the kids 4 types of uniforms and fill their New locker room with Nike apparel So far he's delivered currently 3-0 heading into Marist game. Huge turnaround there and starting to generate buzz in Morningside Heights.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to NYFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-04-2017)