User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 02:40 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
General A10 Tournament Thread

A10 Volleyball Tournament gets started tomorrow.
  • George Washington plays Saint Louis (STL swept both games)
  • Rhode Island plays Duquesne (host school) (URI won 3-2 in only meeting in Pittsburgh)
  • UD beat GW (H) 3-1, (A) 3-0
  • UD beat STL (A) 3-0, (H) 3-1
  • VCU beat URI (VCU swept both games)
  • VCU beat Duq (H) 3-0, (A) 3-1
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-16-2017)
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
The Dukes might beat RI. I expect SLU to make the semi-finals. All that said, I think it still comes down to VCU vs UD in the finals.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:46 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't see it, but surprised Duquesne didn't put up more completion. I thought home court would have them getting after it.

SLU and GW tied 1-1 with GW up by 5 early in 3rd. I have one word for these two teams...SLOW. They just play so much slower than UD.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:49 PM

GW upsets SLU winning the 5th set 15-13. With no one on the A10 post season awards list, good for them!

I just keep waiting for SLU to be really good again and challenge for an NCAA bid year in and year out, but sadly it won't be this year.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:37 PM

It isn't going to make a difference for Dayton, because we have to win the A10 Tournament to get into the NCAAs this year. I believe we will do just that. But for VCU, RI beating Duquesne and George Washington upsetting SLU could very well keep them from getting an at-large bid.

After Dayton beats them on Sunday, they will be on the bubble and both of us playing lower rpi teams today could leave them 1-2 postitions outside the bids. That would be a shame with only three losses and it would be nice to have the A10 send two teams. It's been a long time since that has happened.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Since this could impact a VCU at-large bid, I'll post it here.

tOSU might not make the dance. You have to have a winning record to get a bid. They sit at 14-14. The have Maryland left in MD. They have beaten MD already this year. The other two matches are at home against Ill and IA. tOSU lost to both of them on the road earlier this year. They have to go 2-1 to be eligible.

Here is the kicker. They had to cancel a pre-conference weekend in SC, I believe because of a hurricane threat. Coastal Carolina was the host. Norte Dame and another easy team was scheduled. tOSU would probably have of gone 3-0 that weekend. Worst case 2-1. That would have been a +3 or +1 for their w-l and probably would have put them safely in. Instead they got together with Norte Dame and played a home-away two matches that weekend. tOSU won the first match - leading you to think a +3 was probably what they would have done in SC. ND won the 2nd so tOSU ended up even instead of +3 or +1. It might cost them a bid.

If they don't finish with a winning record, that helps VCU if they are in the hunt for an at-large bid because tOSU has a better rpi, but would not get a bid with a losing record. I wonder if the NCAA would make an exception because of the hurricane?

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 11-18-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 01:38 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I still have a hard time believing that either UD or VCU if they do not win the tournament will get in as an at-large. VCU is in the "bubble" area in the low 40s where usually only Big 5 schools get in. Ohio got snubbed there a year or two ago. VCU does have a top 50 win, which should be High Point. Dayton beating VCU is the best choice so that VCU gets a second top 50 win, as long as High Point doesn't mess up in their tournament.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:49 PM

I agree figgie. You can absolutely say VCU did not schedule tough enough to get an at large bid. No top 25 matches and really, other than High Point, no top 40 matches. But they have never been even close to getting in before. So will the committee recognize their scheduling in that light?

They have been receiving votes in the AVCA poll. The poll use to not factor in, but the last couple years the committee has been using it for just such a case. So it may matter. Who knows. And if tOSU doesn't get in, that's one more spot open for a team with 3 losses - which they would have if UD wins Sunday.

And the following comment is 100% non-scientific. (I'm not sure the computer, formerly known as the human figgie will be able to process this comment. )

Over the years I have gotten the feeling from the at large invites, and more specifically, the last 2-3 teams in, that about every three to four years or so the committee seems to throw smaller conferences a bone and let a small conference school in instead of a major conference middle of the road. It's probably not the case, but it seems like it. Who knows?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
So I'm ready to watch and take down the evil empire of VCU on Sunday. Don't give an inch to those crazy public school wackos from Richmond!
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 08:15 AM

After our only match this year I posted there was nothing that I feared from VCU. We beat ourselves in that match. Mistakes on our side of net that we can clean up. We have improved since then. We need to play focused and fearless. Our setters will be key. They have a big block and our setters will need to send the ball away from the double block, or freeze it. To do that we will need to dig and pass well. We did both of those thing very well yesterday, probably better than we have all year. The setters will also have to defend their Rightside cross-court attack. It will come from their two left handed OHs and the slide attack from their middles. They will go after our setters in the backrow.

Time to play our best match of this very strange season. Stay focused. Play fearless. We got this. Go Flyers!