UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Slu 3 ud 0

Flyers bow out in A10 Qtrs to #1 SLU 3-0.

This outcome was never going to be in doubt. Dayton ended up getting shut out in 9 of 19 matches this year -- almost half. When you cant score in almost 50% of the matches you play, you are going to have about a 0.5% chance of beating a #1 seed on their home field who ran through the A10 with a perfect record.

If you reread my preseason preview: http://www.udpride.com/forums/showth...hlight=preview

...I predicted an 8th place finish and loss in the A10 Qtrs. Also stressed the lack of a midfield to control possession and no proven scorers would be our greatest problem areas. Pretty much precisely what happened. Unlikely anyone on the team sniffs All Conference or All Rookie other than maybe Pestell with a long-shot.

I think Golz got as much out of this squad as humanly possible. They reached their ceiling. There was just not any additional talent out there to do much better. Seniors were part of some very good UD teams and some pretty inept ones so they lived both sides. Some of it their own doing some of it not. Will especially miss what Johns and Pestell did for this program. I felt there were too many times when they deserved more help and did not get it.

As for next season, Golz will be challenged even further. Very possible we could take a step back and not make the A10 tourney. On a team lacking talent, we lose pretty much the only talent we had. Until this staff can get 3-4 recruiting classes of all their own players in that they spent a full 2-3 years recruiting and getting in early on at the prep/club level, we're not likely to see much in the way of progress.

In other words, you better continue to be patient. Golz gets two passing grades so far in his first two years. He hasnt had anything to work with. My only real criticism of the staff thus far is I have not seen playing time used as leverage to get players to compete at a higher level to change the immediate culture. Seemed like no matter how inept certain players were, their starting jobs were never threatened. I dont think any team should ever have that no matter how void of talent there is. My starting 11 better be my hardest working 11, and there were times I didnt think that was the case. Perhaps sending a message that nobody is too important to grab some pine if they are not going to give 110% every night would have helped change the disposition of some players a bit quicker and acted as a cattle prod.

But then the risk of that is losing more games while sending that message. And when you lose more matches, you're recruiting profile and salesmanship sufffers from even less to sell a kid. So maybe the staff swallowed pride and felt winning games no matter what -- even if you had to put up with certain efforts that might otherwise send you to the bench on a more talented team where you could afford to use tough love -- was the better long game. I can certainly buy this argument.

Hang in there fans. This program still has the most to sell in the A10. The staff just needs to sell it, bring in more technical players with significantly more pace and speed. They are out there. We got them in the past and we can get them again.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (10-28-2018)
Advertisement