User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 02:15 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Are you not entertained?

If you're not enjoying the he** out of this team, you need to check your priorities in life.

1. All signs point positive for next year. The recruits + players returning from injury lined up for next year to join this year's team (less Cunningham) are at least on paper top 25 quality.

2. AG says he wants to be here. Let's all take a moment to believe that 10 years from now AG is still here, still recruiting at a high level (including next year's players in this assessment), competing for NCAA seeding, and a 10 year wiser coach. No stepping stones.

3. Obi is ridiculous. The dunks, the energy, the ball handling for a 6'10" guy, the smile, and the as-yet untapped potential on defense. Let's not forget, he's 5-10 from 3 on the year, and looks just fine shooting it from there. It's not a large sample size but it's also not simply the luck of 25 foot heaves going in as the shot clock expires. I'm not suggesting volume shooting but what if he takes 2 per game next year and just shoots 37%?

4. Guard help is coming. As for now, they're giving what they've got.

5. Despite this team knowing they're not good enough, they FIGHT. And maybe just as good as that, they don't rattle. That will serve us well when we have the talent to win. Look at Indiana right now. They know they're not good enough, that is a team of quitters. You can see it in their body language they don't care.

6. Ryan Mikesell. Remember all the "RM is a traffic cone, he can't guard anyone" groupthink around some parts of this board? Ryan is a very reasonable defender (even assigned to shut down StB's scorer at the end of the game), and is second on the team in blocked shots (averaging almost 1 block per game in conference play, the same as Obi). He's 3rd in 3 point shooting (min 11 attempts), 1st in FT's, 5th in scoring, 3rd in rebounds, 2nd in assists. And he's back next year as our no-ego glue guy.

7. As far as I know, no one has been arrested or is a major discipline problem.

8. This team looks like it's having fun. Team cohesiveness seems pretty high, and AG's serious but not overbearing demeanor seems to keep the guys grounded pretty well.

9. Our average margin of loss is less than 7 points, with our largest loss 10 points. It's not like we're getting blown out. We've got talent, just not enough along with the size of our bench right now. If we could trade out Jordan Davis for Jordan Siebert, this team would not be performing all that far behind the short bench 2014 team that went 13-5 in conference. We're 8-4 and Davis is scoring the ball like crap.

Lighten up Francis. It's entertainment, not a fight for the soul of our country. I can root like heck for these kids. If you want to win at all costs call Adidas, but I don't. We can be frustrated by the major shortfalls but I'm enjoying being on the upswing.
33 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-18-2019), BOF02 (02-18-2019), ChampCar (02-19-2019), ChrisInVenice (02-18-2019), Cityengr (02-20-2019), ClaytonFlyerFan (02-18-2019), Clear Prop (02-18-2019), Flyer 86 (02-19-2019), Flyer14 (02-19-2019), Flyer2 (02-18-2019), frisco flyer (02-18-2019), fuz_forward (02-18-2019), jabo911 (02-18-2019), Jeff (02-18-2019), JimBo (02-18-2019), John C. (02-18-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-18-2019), MikeFlyer (02-18-2019), MNFats (02-18-2019), Monster Man (02-18-2019), Radar (02-18-2019), Rita 1 (02-18-2019), SeasonTicketFan (02-18-2019), sheg (02-18-2019), Sid Louick (02-18-2019), SLUFLYER (02-18-2019), steverino015 (02-19-2019), The Fly (02-18-2019), tirebiter (02-18-2019), Townie (02-18-2019), UD_NY (02-18-2019), Wallage (02-18-2019), wes (02-18-2019)
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2019, 02:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Good post. Mikesell is one hell of an athlete. Way too many people try to equate athleticism with only running and jumping. While he lacks lateral quickness for the most part, the blocks this kid has made on numerous occasions this year with players going up for both layups and dunks is ridiculous. I'm talking ESPN highlight blocks......

Gotta think he has a chance to be a 2nd team A10 selection next year with all the attributes he brings along with much improved 3 point shooting if he can keep it up.......Can see him being a 13 plus ppg/ 4-5 rpg player next year...

Last edited by steve; 02-18-2019 at 02:38 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-19-2019), springborofan (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 02:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
agree. I have said many times this year theses guys are fun to watch!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Great post. Well timed perspective and assessment.

FWIW, we do have an 11-point loss to Oklahoma and 13-point loss at SLU.

Oklahoma would not be considered a blowout loss. I was at the SLU game, and we did get blown out. Fell behind by double digits early and never climbed out of the hole. Cut it to 7 late in the first half and in the 2nd half, maybe we cut it to 7 or 8 once.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:35 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Great post. Well timed perspective and assessment.

FWIW, we do have an 11-point loss to Oklahoma and 13-point loss at SLU.

Oklahoma would not be considered a blowout loss. I was at the SLU game, and we did get blown out. Fell behind by double digits early and never climbed out of the hole. Cut it to 7 late in the first half and in the 2nd half, maybe we cut it to 7 or 8 once.

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (02-18-2019), CoffeeCan (02-18-2019), CT Flyer (02-18-2019), Figgie123 (02-18-2019), Flyer 86 (02-19-2019), Flyer14 (02-19-2019), Glen Clark (02-18-2019), OSU Flyer (02-18-2019), SLUFLYER (02-18-2019), TA111 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
My complaint all season with Mikesell has been the number of times he has passed up an open shot, usually a 3 point attempt. Hopefully taking 12 shots and making 9 of them in the last game is how he plays the last 45 to 50 games of his career, and you never hear me complain about this again.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Good post. Mikesell is one hell of an athlete. Way too many people try to equate athleticism with only running and jumping. While he lacks lateral quickness for the most part, the blocks this kid has made on numerous occasions this year with players going up for both layups and dunks is ridiculous. I'm talking ESPN highlight blocks......

Gotta think he has a chance to be a 2nd team A10 selection next year with all the attributes he brings along with much improved 3 point shooting if he can keep it up.......Can see him being a 13 plus ppg/ 4-5 rpg player next year...
I'm not discounting your projections for Mikesell next year but I would temper the averages for next year because I think minutes will get pretty evenly distributed. I'm not sure I see anyone getting more than 25-27 minutes next year. A good problem to have.

If he continues to play like he did Saturday, I agree with 2nd/3rd team chance for next year. He is not flashy enough and will play on a balanced team so 1st team is probably out of the question. BUT, I would argue, probably an MVP candidate for a team like UD that will have multiple scoring options next year.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:19 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Great post.

Wouldn't bet the farm on all the transfers taking us into the top 25 in 2019-20. More likely half of them (let's include Matos for the discussion), will make a solid contribution. That should be enough to position the team for the A-10 league title, which in year 3 is an accomplishment.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
The team in position for the A10 title is often a fringe top 25-35 team at worst. It's not a stretch.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-19-2019), Gazoo (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
I'm not discounting your projections for Mikesell next year but I would temper the averages for next year because I think minutes will get pretty evenly distributed. I'm not sure I see anyone getting more than 25-27 minutes next year. A good problem to have.

If he continues to play like he did Saturday, I agree with 2nd/3rd team chance for next year. He is not flashy enough and will play on a balanced team so 1st team is probably out of the question. BUT, I would argue, probably an MVP candidate for a team like UD that will have multiple scoring options next year.
One think working in Mikesell's favor besides becoming more productive these past several games is CAG leaning on his leadership which he's referenced more than one time of late. With all these late-game mishaps and inability to close out games UD has experienced this year, CAG is valuing maturity and leadership as keys going forward.....
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 AM
General

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Great post.

Wouldn't bet the farm on all the transfers taking us into the top 25 in 2019-20. More likely half of them (let's include Matos for the discussion), will make a solid contribution. That should be enough to position the team for the A-10 league title, which in year 3 is an accomplishment.
Not top 10, but UD is not often a top 10 team. But top 25? I really don't think that's a stretch. If even 1 of the transfers performs at a high level we're top 25, while the rest just need to provide productive minutes.

Swap out an (apparently) ailing Cunningham for a 6'11" center who averaged 9 & 4 as a freshman in a major conference. Let's be conservative and call that a push.

Now add some guard help just so Crutch can play 30 minutes per game. Assume the backup does nothing except avoid turnovers and plays some defense.

Add a year of maturity to Obi. Assume we add nothing else to Obi, I'm just subtracting the early season lack of experience.

Add NO DEVELOPMENT for all other players. Just a year wiser, nothing else.

Add Ibi as just a minor scoring threat. Not 15 PPG, just a guy who can attack the rim occasionally and make a jumper occasionally. A guy who has this year's version of Jordan Davis type of stats. Very much mediocre. But able to give Jordan more of a rest so each is more fresh for defense.

Add the Florida kid as a spot up shooter who does virtually nothing on defense, and rebounds just OK. Not great. Just enough to add a wrinkle to the offense and give Obi some extra rest.

You put all that together, and I think we win several big games we lost this year. I really don't think we need to make wild assumptions about player development to put this team at the edge of the top 25.

What if someone turns out to actually be kinda good, like the Alabama transfer?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-19-2019), TA111 (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Maui 2019 is going to be huge. Need to announce our coming out party there. Anybody remember what happened the last time UD was in Maui? And how that season went?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:28 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
i thought we’d go from 14 wins last year to 20 this year and 24 next year. I will stand by those assessments. We will have more overall talent next year than any time I can remember in 40+ years of following the Flyers.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
i thought we’d go from 14 wins last year to 20 this year and 24 next year. I will stand by those assessments. We will have more overall talent next year than any time I can remember in 40+ years of following the Flyers.

That is pretty close to what I thought. Losing Matos hurt us and with Landers now out all bets are off. The ****ing contest of whether we would win 18 games or 20 games is now moot as far as I am concerned. We still could win 20 games, but it will be much tougher without Landers.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:01 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
That is pretty close to what I thought. Losing Matos hurt us and with Landers now out all bets are off. The ****ing contest of whether we would win 18 games or 20 games is now moot as far as I am concerned. We still could win 20 games, but it will be much tougher without Landers.
I was about to type the same thing but I was going to add, next year we will lose Cunningham for sure but for once I think we could lose another 1 or 2 players and it would not be the devastation that usually follows.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
We are only a three point underdog tonight AT (emphasis mine) Davidson. I would have thought we would be more.

Therefore, others outside of our UD community & faithful as well as us, still see something strong and good in us for this year. That's why I think Gazoo's post is excellent.

All is not lost for this year and next year will take care of itself. Our expectations are going to be sky high next November but for this year, Gazoo, you are right. Enjoy the current ride wherever they take us.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
We are only a three point underdog tonight AT (emphasis mine) Davidson. I would have thought we would be more.

Therefore, others outside of our UD community & faithful as well as us, still see something strong and good in us for this year. That's why I think Gazoo's post is excellent.

All is not lost for this year and next year will take care of itself. Our expectations are going to be sky high next November but for this year, Gazoo, you are right. Enjoy the current ride wherever they take us.
I'll be rooting for our Flyers tonight, but if I had $1000 and was told I had to bet one way or the other, I'd be hard pressed to bet on UD tonight. On the road, against the 1st place team in the conference, a team that shoots the three very well and UD team that seems to struggle defending the three. Plus, if you recall, we were favored AT SLU a couple of weeks ago.

I don't get too caught up in the lines (simply based on where money is coming in at) when evaluating UD's chances of winning or my general expectations of the Flyer's performance for a certain game.