User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 12:31 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
UD Arena...13,400/game next season?

Basketball season ticket time is here.
Will we be allowed to attend EVERY game?
What do you hear?
Prof sports say no fans if/when they resume MLB, NHL, NBA, etc.
College football is discussing/considering attendance procedures.
Personally I see "social distancing" being recommended/enforced until a vaccine is available......that means no 13.400 at Flyer home games......or TBT/Red Scare in August

Thoughts?

Hope all are well and safe.

Go Flyers!
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2020, 01:14 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If they are waiting for a vaccine before lifting social distancing practices then there won't be 13,400 at UD Arena for a few years.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:59 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I can absolutely see season ticket holders getting a red UD bandanna with a blue flying-D logo on the front with each ticket purchased. With a bandanna, you can still eat and drink via the open bottom. I think requiring a face covering while in the the arena and temperature tests at the door will be required and fans will have to agree to this and what temp will nullify entry. Sure the face coverings are going to muffle the volume, but if it allows fans in seats it’s a win.

Beyond that, possibly plexiglass partitions to the left and right of your “group” of seats. If you have 4 - they are open between your seats but separated from the next group. I hate they will be screwing the plexiglass to the sides of new seats, but it shouldn’t be too big a deal and again, if it allows fans it’s a win. A couple Disinfectant spray bottles and paper towels available for every row. Fans asked to remove their own trash to keep the cleaning crew safe.

I think it can be done based on what we know now. It might cost every ticket holder a flat $20-$25 fee, but again, small price to get to attend games.

Finally, you might have to arrive and exit in timeslots to limit the flow of people in any one area. Probably have to set aside more time to enter and exit. It’s not going to be the same if they can pull it off and hopefully it will be for only a couple months before a vaccine can be distributed nationwide.

And, to be honest, I’m not sure what you can do with the student section. Maybe someone has suggestions here.

I think it can be done, it just has to be planned out.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:16 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Why not have 13,000 plus at the games this year... we had that many at the games in Jan/Feb/March, when the virus was already here in Dayton - as antibody testing has confirmed patients from Miami, Montgomery, Richland, Summit and Warren counties had the virus in January (1st case was January 7th).
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-27-2020), JimBo (05-28-2020), longtimefan67 (05-28-2020), Monster Man (05-27-2020), TA111 (05-28-2020), UDGutter2 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 03:36 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
"you might have to arrive and exit in timeslots to limit the flow of people in any one area. Probably have to set aside more time to enter and exit. It’s not going to be the same if they can pull it off and hopefully it will be for only a couple months before a vaccine can be distributed nationwide."

I want to go to two hour doors opening...#1 to give more time to get the fans in and temp scanned and #2 more time to sell concessions / fan store. Never understood the shortened doors opening. Yes, it would cost more for support staff for the extra half hour, but sales have to more than offset that cost.

And if there are bandanas, please make sure made in the U.S.A.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Ask me about November 1

Anyone making decisions on events such as this 5 + months in advance needs fired, kicked out of office, etc. depending upon circumstances.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Monster Man (05-27-2020), UDGutter2 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:26 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with FINAL decision timeline being in the fall, but looking at options now is how you get to a place where you make a good final decision. I’m sure there are people working on all kinds of options as we “post”. UD Athletics has always been great at contingency plans if coaches leave, etc. considering how important men’s basketball revenues are, I’d expect the appropriate parties are starting to formulate multiple options

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 05-27-2020 at 08:21 PM..
Old 05-27-2020, 08:05 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Crazy... having to make modifications to our newly renovated UD Arena

Last edited by Runnin' Rebel; 05-27-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Old 05-27-2020, 09:37 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Social distancing would probably limit attendance to about 15% of the total capacity. Limited bathrooms & concessions.

Season starts during beginning of flu season just think of the cluster all that brings into whether or not you may be infected using some of the symptoms the CDC keeps on throwing on the list

Any workable vaccine EVEN IF done by end of year you would need millions of doses and millions of people getting shots and then a few weeks to build up antibody in system, we're talking mid to late January '21.

If vaccine is both safe AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Effective!

Why with all that pessimism you would think I was maddog .....
Old 05-28-2020, 12:00 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Doesnt matter how much they restrict capacity/attendance to sprinkle the fans around the Arena. With the number of times people in my row walk directly past me to drain the lizard, puff a Winston, or fetch some Double Dippers, they could have West Nile, Zika, MERS, Wu Flu, TDS, or Epistemophobia and I'm 100% going to get it.

In my row, there's no stopping the spread.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
MrFlyerFanatic (05-28-2020), NJFlyr71 (05-28-2020), runnerup (05-28-2020), UD62 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:21 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Would be interesting to see if this was self policed.

Assuming no vaccine...

Would ticket holders in age groups that experience high infection and potential mortality rates attend given the opportunity? Or would they put their health first?

What if policy was: over age xx, cannot attend. Everyone else tested.

Would that mean a crowd of below 25 only? IIRC that group is below 1%.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Basketball season ticket time is here.
Will we be allowed to attend EVERY game?
What do you hear?
Prof sports say no fans if/when they resume MLB, NHL, NBA, etc.
College football is discussing/considering attendance procedures.
Personally I see "social distancing" being recommended/enforced until a vaccine is available......that means no 13.400 at Flyer home games......or TBT/Red Scare in August

Thoughts?

Hope all are well and safe.

Go Flyers!
You'll have to ask Gov. Acton

Last edited by Radar; 05-29-2020 at 01:07 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (05-28-2020), rollo (05-30-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:49 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If they went with limited attendance I'd think they'd have some tough choices on who gets to go to the games. Also, what would that do to the athletic departments bottom line
Old 05-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
If they went with limited attendance I'd think they'd have some tough choices on who gets to go to the games. Also, what would that do to the athletic departments bottom line
In 2018 the overall athletic budget was a bit over $29M, income from all athletic sources was about $18M. Men's BB had an income of about $14.2M and expenses of $7.25M, so it contributed the vast portion of the athletic income and a net positive $6.95M to the overall budget. Missing all or a big part of that income would be a hit.

Last edited by UD62; 05-28-2020 at 06:00 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-28-2020), OSU Flyer (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Being in a crowded, indoor facility with a lot of people yelling and cheering for a couple of hours seems to tick off a lot of boxes as far as what we know today to be high risk environments. There may be ways to effectively mitigate those risks, but I don't know what they would be.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (05-28-2020), San Diego Flyer (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
... people in my row walk directly past me to drain the lizard, puff a Winston, or fetch some Double Dippers, they could have West Nile, Zika, MERS, Wu Flu, TDS, or Epistemophobia and I'm 100% going to get it.

In my row, there's no stopping the spread.

Wow! Chris sorry to hear this. I wasn't aware that you shared the row with Rollo!

Go Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-28-2020), rollo (05-30-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 04:19 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
. . . Would ticket holders in age groups that experience high infection and potential mortality rates attend given the opportunity? Or would they put their health first? . . .

I would definitely put my health first. There is no way I'm attending a crowded sporting event during a pandemic if I'm not vaccinated.
It remains to be seen how UD handles season ticket sales if the venue is unsafe or unavailable.

San Diego Flyer (05-29-2020), UACFlyer (05-28-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Captain

Southwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to behold
If they allow 20% of capacity, some of our Atlantic 10 brethren would probably be ecstatic to draw that!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Southwest For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (05-29-2020), flyerfanatic86 (05-29-2020), OSU Flyer (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Captain

LI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to all
When do you think we will hear on the Myrtle Beach Tournament as I was going to rent a 4 bedroom oceanfront condo for my college roommates and I. Golf, Flyers and the Beach with +40 year Flyer buds. The trifecta of fun.
Mad Props to LI2UD2PA For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Outdoor Sports Venues are Opening

with no fans or reduced attendance. I think it is highly unlikely that indoor venues will be considered safe by the science community. Academia is really trained to follow science. The decision will not be made by the Athletic Director.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
from a medical/scientific standpoint, using the last couple of months in terms of what we’ve learned as an example, I don’t think we could make a realistic guess until at least August. practically speaking, let’s see how the first big ghetto party goes during the school year. You can’t tell me that 7000 pent up college students that have been away from their friends for five months won’t come back and make a huge racket the first night regardless of whatever policies are in place. Let’s talk after that. finally, around that time, we will see if there are huge outbreaks on college campuses. If there are, we can forget about a season, much less being at the arena for one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2020, 08:40 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
Wow! Chris sorry to hear this. I wasn't aware that you shared the row with Rollo!

Go Flyers!

And just like Rollo, they never ask me if I want anything.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-29-2020), rollo (05-30-2020), San Diego Flyer (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 04:22 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
As long as there is media frenzy on this I have concerns. I fully expect some hot spots to happen this fall and with the election coming in November the media will focus on it whether it is warranted or not.

I'm hopeful that we will be in the stands in January after the election.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:28 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Either the virus goes away like SARS or we just get used to it being around. There's really no other alternative. I'm highly doubtful a vaccine will ever be available or effective. There exists no vaccine for any Coronavirus of any variation.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (05-31-2020)