Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 06:56 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Ddn /whio

The coverage by The DDN and Whio of the Flyers needs improved. Jabonski does the best of the lot but he has double duty with the Bucks. But here it is Tues and we have no definitive answer why X didn't play the second half and why Kostas was benched. Larry who is a good soul simply wont ask any tough questions and we are left to guess and presume what is happening. AG is a standup guy, if you beg the question he will answer it. Hell John got hurt Thur and we didn't know until game time. Its not espionage or convert operation just ask the questions that matter.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (01-02-2018), C-time (01-02-2018), Dillomernda (01-02-2018), jack72 (01-02-2018), NYCFLYER (01-02-2018), Radar (01-02-2018), rollo (01-02-2018), Smitty10 (01-10-2018)
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Not saying the coverage can't improve...but we also don't hear much at all out of the AG camp regardless. May be a combination of both...
Old 01-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Major

Agree... but is not much..in the post game weather your Larry or a beat writer simply ask...why didn't X play? Did the incident with Kostas keep him on the bench? Anthony will answer when he is asked.
Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Agree... but is not much..in the post game weather your Larry or a beat writer simply ask...why didn't X play? Did the incident with Kostas keep him on the bench? Anthony will answer when he is asked.
I don't think of Larry as a reporter at all and know he's never going to ask a tough question. It's just not going to happen when he travels with the team on the bus or plane.

As for asking those questions after the Duquesne game the DDN got caught because Jablonski couldn't get to Pittsburgh because he was covering the tOSU bowl game the night before. I think they sent Pendleton instead and I tend to think that when the regular beat reporter isn't there the questions won't be very good. I think Jablonski would have asked those questions.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:40 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
UD historically has not disclosed injuries. Why give your opponents another edge?

You would be shocked how beat up some of the players have been and played in the past. I can tell you some players have probably played when they would have been wiser to not play.

My best guess is Williams injury has really affected his play; probably nowhere close to 100% and might be playing a few minutes just to give starters a badly needed rest.

I think it is obvious that Kostas sat the bench in the 2nd half for attitude issues.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Major

So you as a fan...Guess and you think..all they have to do is ask and I bet he answers. So Anthony we could have used X experience and his 3 point shooting down the stretch, Did his back act up??? I am not asking a lot just the questions we as fans have on our minds. That's what reporters do. They will answer some and the ones they cant they will defer.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
I don't think of Larry as a reporter at all and know he's never going to ask a tough question. It's just not going to happen when he travels with the team on the bus or plane.

As for asking those questions after the Duquesne game the DDN got caught because Jablonski couldn't get to Pittsburgh because he was covering the tOSU bowl game the night before. I think they sent Pendleton instead and I tend to think that when the regular beat reporter isn't there the questions won't be very good. I think Jablonski would have asked those questions.
I'll give you that Larry has never, and will never, ask about playing time in his post-game chat...or even the Mon night show. But Pendelton's been around the block enough to know that questions about X and Kostas are relevant, especially given the fact that AG left Kostas in even after that little stunt he pulled but then chose not to play him in the second half. And why wouldn't he ask about X? Sure, we all know he's been hurt. But AG himself said he wouldn't return unless fully cleared by the medical team...so what gives? AG can simply say the back issue flared up. Then end. Otherwise, he can briefly explain it was a matchup issue, or, as I saw it from my living room, and unless I hear or read otherwise...an EFFORT issue.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
UD historically has not disclosed injuries. Why give your opponents another edge?
Historically? Well, I think historically coaches in general do not let giving updates. Tactical advantage has something to do it with probably in some cases, but mostly, coaches aren't doctors - they don't know squat about how long stuff takes to heal, but if they tell you something that isn't right, they look bad. But I don't know if Dayton is historically worse at this this then others...

With Archie, it just seemed like he hated answering any media question. If you asked him an injury-related question, he'd dismiss it immediately by saying it's a bone bruise. I don't think it was so much in relation to it being a tactical advantage, but more just due to Archie being sort of a curmudgeon and just not liking having to talk to media.

Brian Gregory was all coach speak. He could address any topic and give you what sort of felt like was a solid answer, but really lacked substance. Maybe he didn't disclose injuries for tactical advantage, but I think you're giving him too much credit there. After all, his entire offensive system was a tactical disadvantage.

Purnell? I'm not sure I remember. I think he probably was similar to Gregory in giving a lot of coach speak. O'Brien? Injured or not, his team couldn't beat anyone...

Grant seems to give thoughtful answers that's more than coach speak when he does speak with media. So I guess he's probably your best bet at getting a real injury update, although in general this coaching staff seems to keep information pretty tight across the board.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:43 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Did the incident with Kostas keep him on the bench?
I think it is obvious that Kostas sat the bench in the 2nd half for attitude issues.
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
AG left Kostas in even after that little stunt he pulled but then chose not to play him in the second half.
For someone who (thankfully) didn't watch the Duquesne game, can someone summarize "the incident" / "attitude issue" / ""stunt" that's being talked about here? What exactly did Kostas do?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
I just want to know as it determines my pick the score entries. It really is all I have left apart from watching JDavis and Josh.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
KA followed up a miss with a dunk over their big man and jawed at him after the dunk and the two had a minor altercation. Both were "T'd" up. DU made both of their free throws and UD missed both of theirs. It was a big momentum loss as UD was playing pretty good and the delay to figure everything out took that momentum away.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:03 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Video of incident:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/947223261242318848

It was a knucklehead move on Kostas' part. Happened right in front of me.

As to Flyer coverage in The DDN, Jablo wasn't in Pittsburgh, so Marc Pendleton filled in for him. If you have ever watched him, David works his a$$ off during a game, shooting pics, video, tweeting and then writing game summaries. With all due respect to Doug Harris, Gary Nuhn and others who have covered UD, we have never had it so good.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 01-02-2018 at 01:09 PM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (01-02-2018), CE80 (01-02-2018), DallasFlyer (01-03-2018), Radar (01-02-2018), ruechalgrin (01-03-2018), THirt (01-11-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I'll give you that Larry has never, and will never, ask about playing time in his post-game chat...or even the Mon night show. But Pendelton's been around the block enough to know that questions about X and Kostas are relevant, especially given the fact that AG left Kostas in even after that little stunt he pulled but then chose not to play him in the second half. And why wouldn't he ask about X? Sure, we all know he's been hurt. But AG himself said he wouldn't return unless fully cleared by the medical team...so what gives? AG can simply say the back issue flared up. Then end. Otherwise, he can briefly explain it was a matchup issue, or, as I saw it from my living room, and unless I hear or read otherwise...an EFFORT issue.
Agree completely. Pendelton simply did a poor job and didn't ask the right questions. I wasn't giving him a pass but instead thought he didn't ask certain questions because maybe he just didn't think to ask them because he is not as familiar with the team as Jablonski. For example I bet Jablo would have asked about if X's back had acted up. Maybe that thought didn't come to Pendelton because he doesn't know the team as well.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Major General

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Agree completely. Pendelton simply did a poor job and didn't ask the right questions. I wasn't giving him a pass but instead thought he didn't ask certain questions because maybe he just didn't think to ask them because he is not as familiar with the team as Jablonski. For example I bet Jablo would have asked about if X's back had acted up. Maybe that thought didn't come to Pendelton because he doesn't know the team as well.
You may be right in that Jablo would have asked...maybe. And I too witness Jablo in action and met him in Pitt last year for A10 tournament. Great guy, very very hard worker. Having said that, in today's DDN about St Bonnie game, nowhere in his "5 things you should know" about the game is there a reference to XW. And although nothing written about JC's status, he lists him as a starter for tomorrow's game. Is he just printing what Hauschild gives him or has he talked to AG? And if he talked to AG, could he at least ask about JC's and XW's status?

Last edited by Radar; 01-02-2018 at 03:03 PM..
Old 01-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant General

You may be right in that Jablo would have asked...maybe. And I too witness Jablo in action and met him in Pitt last year for A10 tournament. Great guy, very very hard worker. Having said that, in today's DDN about St Bonnie game, nowhere in his "5 things you should know" about the game make any reference to XW. And although nothing written about JC's status, he lists him as a starter for tomorrow's game. Is he just printing what Hauschild gives him or has he talked to AG? And if he talked to AG, could he at least ask about JC's and XW's status?
I think he's talking to AG right now if you check his twitter. AG said Crosby will practice today and compete tomorrow.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Major

Boys X was benched on Sat as was Kostas....my way or there will be a house cleaning it appears!!!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-02-2018), TXFlyerFan (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Jablonski's latest article. It appears X was benched as flybye said.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...yNFGO2TlPOenO/
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-02-2018), jack72 (01-02-2018), Jeff (01-02-2018), mikeymo85 (01-02-2018), ruechalgrin (01-03-2018), TXFlyerFan (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I'll say this. Assuming that reading is correct, then that makes me feel much better about AG. He has expectations and if they aren't being met, you will be riding the pine, no matter who you are.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-02-2018), redbengal (01-03-2018), Runnin' Rebel (01-03-2018), shocka43 (01-03-2018), THirt (01-11-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 08:31 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
I'll say this. Assuming that reading is correct, then that makes me feel much better about AG. He has expectations and if they aren't being met, you will be riding the pine, no matter who you are.
Agree. Always more to the the story. Hopefully, they meet the challenge.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
What did X do to get benched? Is AG too strict? I hope that AG does not drive off players or make guys not want to play for him. I think this sort of thing might have been a problem at Alabama.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
KA followed up a miss with a dunk over their big man and jawed at him after the dunk and the two had a minor altercation. Both were "T'd" up. DU made both of their free throws and UD missed both of theirs. It was a big momentum loss as UD was playing pretty good and the delay to figure everything out took that momentum away.
It should have been to UD's advantage. Both teams got 2 FTs but UD got the ball back. The players just blew it with missed FTs and not converting the possession into points.
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
What did X do to get benched? Is AG too strict? I hope that AG does not drive off players or make guys not want to play for him. I think this sort of thing might have been a problem at Alabama.
It's what he didn't do: effort.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:05 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I do not remember X having attitude/hustle problems under Archie.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Don't assume. You, myself, and virtually all others know very little here..
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 01:44 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
With some peole as long as things are great and the shots are falling, things are great. Give them some adversity, like the threes not falling and being criticized for not rebounding and poor defense, and they become unraveled and pout.

Crosby is an example of a guy who let it roll off, and still plays hard. Williams may be in the opposite camp.

Another factor is that last year Williams could get lost behind the great seniors. This year he has been asked to step up and do more.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-03-2018), Tony T 71 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Crosby is poor example of someone letting things roll off. He quit the team in the off season.
Cunningham was benched the last 10 minutes of the second game. Did it cost UD a win?
With Williams he missed games because of a back injury. How well did Cunningham play last year when he returned or Pollard his junior year.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:09 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Jablonski's latest article. It appears X was benched as flybye said.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...yNFGO2TlPOenO/
The article does not say he was benched. It just says he wasn't putting himself in a position to help the team. "Benched" implies malice (despite the author of the article using that term); pouting, brooding, discontent. What AG said was XW just wasn't the right player at the right time. While it COULD mean the same thing, that's not what he said if you ask me. It simply could have been a matter of rust for XW.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:54 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
Crosby is poor example of someone letting things roll off. He quit the team in the off season.
Cunningham was benched the last 10 minutes of the second game. Did it cost UD a win?
With Williams he missed games because of a back injury. How well did Cunningham play last year when he returned or Pollard his junior year.
I am talking about this season. Maybe Crosby has grown up. Crosby was benched for a freshman. Maybe you did not see the incident at Charleston, I was twenty feet away, when AG loudly and angerly lit into Crosby for a blown D and poor play. It was Bobby Knight-like. I personally thought Crosby was done, but he comes right back and regains his starting job.

That is what we need from Williams.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
The article does not say he was benched. It just says he wasn't putting himself in a position to help the team. "Benched" implies malice (despite the author of the article using that term); pouting, brooding, discontent. What AG said was XW just wasn't the right player at the right time. While it COULD mean the same thing, that's not what he said if you ask me. It simply could have been a matter of rust for XW.
Come on Gazoo. Read between the lines a little bit. No coach is going to say he benched a player especially AG. Instead he kindly said he "wasn't putting himself in position to help the team" which translates to I've benched him because him because his (performance/attitude/something else) currently isn't good.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
You can church it up and try to spin it all you want...

X isn't performing as AG wants. He has had one good game and another decent game all season. 9/42 from 3. 7 rebounds in the last 5 games he played. He hasn't shot better than 50% from the field in a single game. Sorry to be harsh, but that is the reason why he got the pine. If you look at the stat lines since returning there hasn't been any reason why he should get the nod. AG says perform or sit. Who knows what is going on in practice either. X isn't stupid and he will be motivated by this. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

AG appears to play who shows up on any given night. That was apparent with Crosby and others all season.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Effort = Rebounding (from X and Kostas)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Great quote from Jablonski (regarding conference play):

"The conference provides the same lessons every season. Of course, this year, many of Dayton’s players are learning them for the first time."

"Road victories never come easy. Home is sweet. No team is unbeatable. No team can be overlooked. Things are rarely as good or as bad as they appear."

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...gU6zhp0gUEzrM/
Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
THirt (01-11-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:03 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
You can church it up and try to spin it all you want...

X isn't performing as AG wants. He has had one good game and another decent game all season. 9/42 from 3. 7 rebounds in the last 5 games he played. He hasn't shot better than 50% from the field in a single game. Sorry to be harsh, but that is the reason why he got the pine. If you look at the stat lines since returning there hasn't been any reason why he should get the nod. AG says perform or sit. Who knows what is going on in practice either. X isn't stupid and he will be motivated by this. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

AG appears to play who shows up on any given night. That was apparent with Crosby and others all season.
To me, "benched" = poor attitude, getting in a shouting match with a coach, get an F on a test. It's not shooting poorly from 3. You can certainly be placed on the bench for poor performance, or having your head in the clouds and getting lost on defense, or being in poor rebounding position. To me that's "having your minutes cut because of performance."

Definitionally I'm saying "benched" to me is "put your punk-arse on the pine until you get right, son." That's different from "you need to put in more work in the film room and improve." I'm saying there is no evidence XW has been "benched" under this definition.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Tonight, Larry, Dave J and Mike H are hosting a session in the Flight Deck from 5:30-6:30
prior to the women's game. If you're interested, the code is Flyers. Ticket free, but you need to print it. More info
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-up-c...AgUE18ZW1haWw=
Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
...AG appears to play who shows up on any given night...
This is an area where AG seems to be fairly “old school”, and that’s one thing I like about the guy. Generally speaking, if you meet his performance expectations, you’ll play and, if you don’t, you’ll sit.

That’s possibly why Trey played as much as he did last night. Clearly, AG wants his guys to attack on offense, and Trey was doing that, so he played. Similarly, Crutcher wasn’t taking good care of the ball at the start of the 2nd half, and AG is increasing emphasis on valuing the rock, so he pulled Crutcher and put Crosby in. But then AG also used that bench time with Crutcher to provide a bit of 1-to-1 instruction.

And maybe we’re starting to see more of this because AG has decided that “the honeymoon is over”? Dunno. Not close enough to the program to know. But he’s been here for 9 months now, and the season is halfway over, so maybe AG has decided “It’s time.”
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
To me, "benched" = poor attitude, getting in a shouting match with a coach, get an F on a test. It's not shooting poorly from 3. You can certainly be placed on the bench for poor performance, or having your head in the clouds and getting lost on defense, or being in poor rebounding position. To me that's "having your minutes cut because of performance."

Definitionally I'm saying "benched" to me is "put your punk-arse on the pine until you get right, son." That's different from "you need to put in more work in the film room and improve." I'm saying there is no evidence XW has been "benched" under this definition.
Definitions or not...XW got the pine again against Richmond after two plays. Both involved long and lazy passes cover the middle. One was in the first half when he threw one from, IIRC, the right side of the court to the left wing where it was promptly intercepted for a transition break. The second was a half assed pass from the right block, cross court, to the perimeter where it was snatched. Both passes were lazy. That's why he was parked.

So...it seems as though AG is rewarding effort more than results. Svoboda got minutes against Richmond because he was providing effort and he had some positive offensive possessions. He also got those minutes because X had mental mistakes as listed above.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-11-2018), m21eagle45 (01-11-2018), THirt (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:47 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Wednesday's print edition of the DDN did not have an article on Tuesday's game against Richmond. That is uncalled for
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Captain

Southwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to behold
Wednesday's print edition of the DDN did not have an article on Tuesday's game against Richmond. That is uncalled for
Don't worry. They'll have a recap in by Saturday.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Major General

Since moving production to Indiana, deadline for print is 4pm. They're begging you to cancel home delivery subscriptions, so I took them up on their offer. And their online product is woefully poor as well, especially if you're looking for high school sports coverage/game results. DDN is a mess.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (01-11-2018), rollo (01-11-2018), springborofan (01-11-2018), TXFlyerFan (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Definitions or not...XW got the pine again against Richmond after two plays. Both involved long and lazy passes cover the middle. One was in the first half when he threw one from, IIRC, the right side of the court to the left wing where it was promptly intercepted for a transition break. The second was a half assed pass from the right block, cross court, to the perimeter where it was snatched. Both passes were lazy. That's why he was parked.

So...it seems as though AG is rewarding effort more than results. Svoboda got minutes against Richmond because he was providing effort and he had some positive offensive possessions. He also got those minutes because X had mental mistakes as listed above.
He also made no attempt to block out on the defensive rebound and Richmond started killing us on the glass, getting multiple offensive rebounds. X was just getting pushed around down low. Rebounding is all effort and awareness.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
And maybe we’re starting to see more of this because AG has decided that “the honeymoon is over”? Dunno. Not close enough to the program to know. But he’s been here for 9 months now, and the season is halfway over, so maybe AG has decided “It’s time.”
It is time. It's not too late to right the ship, but the message has to get out to the whole team. Don't keep losing while making the same mistakes or you will sit and watch for a while.
The game really does slow down when viewed from the bench. It's an integral part of the learning process.

Anthony is not a fool. This team needs instruction and discipline and his future is on the line. Anybody could have coached last years team. Corporate executives get paid the big bucks to fix the really tough problems and that may only occupy 20% of their work year. If they don't excel in that 20%, what they do with the other 80% doesn't mean a rat's tail and they are entering an insecure dark place.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-11-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-11-2018), shocka43 (01-11-2018), udx2 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Anthony is not a fool. This team needs instruction and discipline and his future is on the line.
Bingo. I can observe/critique systems and styles all day long and still be satisfied if a coach runs a tight ship and does things the right way. May not be happy with end results all of the time, but I would rather lose the right way than win the wrong way. Permitting poor behavior is the wrong way.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
runnerup (01-11-2018), THirt (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
These are what I call wtf turnovers. We eliminate these and I think we see better outcomes.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:19 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Cool It's pretty simple.

WLWLWLLWLWLWLWLW

That's our pattern of Wins and Losses. If you are shooting guns you can live with that pattern.

If you are coaching basketball teams, you don't fully have their attention. They win a game and then swagger like they are ranked. Then they get beat and can't wait to get the bad taste out of their mouth.

If we are making progress, we will beat VCU. If we get punked, we are still living off the Richmond win and we don't get it. And the lousy beat goes on.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:45 PM

WLWLWLLWLWLWLWLW

That's our pattern of Wins and Losses. If you are shooting guns you can live with that pattern.

If you are coaching basketball teams, you don't fully have their attention. They win a game and then swagger like they are ranked. Then they get beat and can't wait to get the bad taste out of their mouth.

If we are making progress, we will beat VCU. If we get punked, we are still living off the Richmond win and we don't get it. And the lousy beat goes on.
Except some of these losses were expected given our team this year. Auburn, St Mary's, and ODU were just better teams. The other five losses were against winnable teams. The only clear letdown was against UMASS when we scored only 60 points against a weakened team, after we beat Bonnie.

I would think we would be expected to lose against VCU. They are 11-6 with 5 losses against good teams. Now if we get beat by more than eight and score less than 60, then we got punked.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Except some of these losses were expected given our team this year. Auburn, St Mary's, and ODU were just better teams. The other five losses were against winnable teams. The only clear letdown was against UMASS when we scored only 60 points against a weakened team, after we beat Bonnie.

I would think we would be expected to lose against VCU. They are 11-6 with 5 losses against good teams. Now if we get beat by more than eight and score less than 60, then we got punked.
Flyers -1.5 against VCU
Old 01-11-2018, 03:59 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Flyers -1.5 against VCU
I'd bet everything I had and borrow more to take VCU and the points but I lost everything I had and then some by borrowing money by taking SBU and giving the points.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-11-2018), jack72 (01-11-2018), Runnin' Rebel (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 PM

I don't understand your logic. VCU is 0-5 against top 50 teams. Where are these 5 losses against "good teams" you speak of? Their RPI is 94 and SOS is 82. If we have 5 losses against winnable teams, we should be an odds-on favorite to break the trend of alternating W's and L's and post a nice win. Our RPI is 87, SOS 5, and we are at home!
Old 01-11-2018, 04:48 PM
General of the Air Force

I don't understand your logic. VCU is 0-5 against top 50 teams. Where are these 5 losses against "good teams" you speak of? Their RPI is 94 and SOS is 82. If we have 5 losses against winnable teams, we should be an odds-on favorite to break the trend of alternating W's and L's and post a nice win. Our RPI is 87, SOS 5, and we are at home!
I don't look at the Ws and Ls. I watched the 2nd half of the Duquesne at VCU game after our game at Richmond. VCU was down 10 at the half and then they came out and played intense, physical basketball after halftime. Duquesne was whipped. I'm with jack72, if we can hang with them and keep it close, I will be impressed win or lose.
jack72 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 05:03 PM

runnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to all
Bingo. I can observe/critique systems and styles all day long and still be satisfied if a coach runs a tight ship and does things the right way. May not be happy with end results all of the time, but I would rather lose the right way than win the wrong way. Permitting poor behavior is the wrong way.

All you need do is look south. It appears to me that players are allowed or even encouraged to be punks. Give me Coach Grant anyday.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM

You are reading too much into early season RPI.

VCU losses:
Virginia (15-1), Marquette (12-5), Michigan (14-4), Texas (11-5), Seton Hall (14-3). That group is 66-18. And Joe's (7-8).

They also beat ODU and Duquense, two teams that handled us easily.

Wow, how about us getting that schedule?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:07 PM
1st Lieutenant

DaytonInsider is a jewel in the roughDaytonInsider is a jewel in the roughDaytonInsider is a jewel in the rough
I just don't get how people do understand why Williams is not playing. In my mind he is the biggest disappointment on the team. I am by no means saying that I know the game better than anybody else but since he came back from his injury I have been watching him closely expecting a change with his performance.

It has not changed at all, his body language is terrible IMO and he continues to just shoot anytime he wants. Not getting very specific cause that would mean I would have to re-watch the games and break him down and watching some of these game have been brutal the first time, but I remember a game recently (Duquesne) where he was in for like 30 seconds and as soon as he touched it up goes a 3. When we lost at the end of our last home game (UMass) when the ending play screwed up it was Williams who cut the wrong way and then just stood there for 2 seconds right in the pass line of trey to Cunningham and cost us big time. The play before by not going hard for a defensive rebound and allowing them to take the lead. Richmond he had 2 terrible and costly passes that were turnovers. His effort is not there and then I will point out the obvious

He is shooting 34% from the field and 25% from 3 point range while taking the 4th most 3's on the team in 5 less games then everyone else.

IMO he transfers after the year. Just my Opinion but he is not fitting in with AG at all.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 AM

VCU losses:
Virginia (15-1), Marquette (12-5), Michigan (14-4), Texas (11-5), Seton Hall (14-3). That group is 66-18. And Joe's (7-8).

They also beat ODU and Duquense, two teams that handled us easily.

Wow, how about us getting that schedule?
Yeah, I totally agree, how about us getting that schedule?

Chastisement coming from other posters in 3...2...1...

Last edited by ud2; 01-12-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 09:51 AM

How in the world did VCU get games against both Texas and Virginia at home?

VCU notable OOC games this year:

Virginia at VCU
Texas at VCU
VCU at Seton Hall
Marquette vs. VCU at neutral
California vs. VCU at neutral
Michigan vs. VCU at neutral
#72 Old Dominion at VCU

That is 7 notable games. We have 6 notable games: SMC, Auburn, Miss State, and 3 neutral tourney games.

Last edited by ud2; 01-12-2018 at 10:01 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
The Texas series happened only because it was spelled out in Shaka Smart’s contract when he left VCU. UD had a similar deal with Georgie Tech when BG left. Only wish they’d had it with Archie, too. Virginia plays in-state schools regularly, unlike OSU (unless you’re talking MAC or lower-level schools).

Last edited by The Fly; 01-12-2018 at 09:59 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-12-2018), ud2 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
The Texas series happened only because it was spelled out in Shaka Smart’s contract when he left VCU. UD had a similar deal with Georgie Tech when BG left. Only wish they’d had it with Archie, too.
Ok, then it would seem that we had a perfect opportunity to play a 15/15 in back-to-back years when we played GT in a home-and-home series due to BG's exit agreement.

It just feels like I am constantly being lied to on here.

IMO, the bottom line is that UD could have played a 15/15 against top-notch/p5 competition, during those 2 years, but chose not to. The "no one good will play us" excuse does not seem at all valid during those 2 years.

Last edited by ud2; 01-12-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Ok, then it would seem that we had a perfect opportunity to play a 15/15 in back-to-back years when we played GT in a home-and-home series due to BG's exit agreement.

IMO, the bottom line is that UD could have played a 15/15 against top-notch/p5 competition, during those 2 years, but chose not to. The "no one good will play us" excuse does not seem at all valid during those 2 years.
You caught us. I can't keep this sham up any longer. We go on Pride++ and plan how we are going to respond to your posts about the schedule.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (01-14-2018), UD62 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

Virginia at VCU
Texas at VCU
VCU at Seton Hall
#72 Old Dominion at VCU

That is 7 notable games. We have 6 notable games: SMC, Auburn, Miss State, and 3 neutral tourney games.
When you go to 7 tourneys in a row & 9 out of the last 10 years it opens doors
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (01-12-2018), jack72 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldnt call it early season. Half the season is over. Many of the metrics get largely locked in by now because everyone is in-conference and their level 2 RPI values are identical since all leagues finish .500.

I do foresee further dropping of UDs numbers since the A10 had a weak non-con, but UD had no ability to affect either the schedules or outcomes of those other A10 foes and cant be blamed for metrics out of their control.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 01-13-2018, 12:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I'd bet everything I had and borrow more to take VCU and the points but I lost everything I had and then some by borrowing money by taking SBU and giving the points.
I thought for sure I could make back what I lost on the SBU game but betting with money I didn't have was not too smart. Now I am looking at a couple of broken legs.
Figgie123 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I don't look at the Ws and Ls. I watched the 2nd half of the Duquesne at VCU game after our game at Richmond. VCU was down 10 at the half and then they came out and played intense, physical basketball after halftime. Duquesne was whipped. I'm with jack72, if we can hang with them and keep it close, I will be impressed win or lose.
So, how are you and Jack feeling today? We failed to keep it close.
CE80 (01-13-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-13-2018), The Fly (01-13-2018), ud69 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:21 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't understand your reasoning here (I seldom do). VCU is playing 17/14 this season with only one true non-conference road game, so how does that calculate into UD playing 15/15??? You should be scolding VCU for playing 17/14 with only one non-con road game. (CE80, does that cover everything I was supposed to say?)
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 PM
General of the Air Force

I won't speak for Jack but I feel f'n great!!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DaytonInsider (01-13-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-13-2018), San Diego Flyer (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 AM

Virginia at VCU
Texas at VCU
VCU at Seton Hall
#72 Old Dominion at VCU

That is 7 notable games. We have 6 notable games: SMC, Auburn, Miss State, and 3
neutral tourney games.
Those are some respected names VCU snagged. But if that schedule is so good, why is VCU's SOS 95 and ours is 4. FOUR! Which team's SOS looks appealing to the NCAA Selection Committee?

And if VCU is so hot, why is their RPI 109, and ours is 70?

Could it be that our AD has actually aced the scheduling puzzle?

Just sayin'.
Fairborn Fan (01-14-2018), JimBo (01-14-2018), shocka43 (01-14-2018), The Fly (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 AM

I almost choked on that crow I was eating for a late night snack on Friday night. I had some Flyer Ketchup in the fridge and that helped me swallow the last few bites.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-14-2018), San Diego Flyer (01-14-2018), ud69 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 AM
General of the Air Force

I almost choked on that crow I was eating for a late night snack on Friday night. I had some Flyer Ketchup in the fridge and that helped me swallow the last few bites.
Crow is actually pretty good when served with ram skewers.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
When you go to 7 tourneys in a row & 9 out of the last 10 years it opens doors
Posted via Mobile Device
Looking more closely at VCU, they started improving their SOS, and thus seed, in the 2012-2013 season. They did it by playing a 15/15 setup by playing 1 or 2 home-and-home series against teams that had good rpi's(in addition to h and h series against p5 and high major teams), those teams were non-p5/non-high major teams that UD typically almost never plays in a home-and-home.

So, I will agree that they took a different route. I will have to look more closely at Butler, Temple, and Xavier, 3 schools that also regularly did 15-15.

VCU got bids in 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

So, they were maybe 5 bids in when they started getting better sos results, that resulted from their scheduling and from joining the a10 in 2012-2013.

History

Season Record RPI Rank SOS Rank
2016-2017 26-9 0.6198 15 0.5829 15
2015-2016 24-10 0.5876 37 0.5524 59
2014-2015 26-9 0.6198 15 0.5829 15
2013-2014 26-8 0.6258 13 0.5715 27
2012-2013 26-8 0.6099 24 0.5621 41

Last edited by ud2; 01-14-2018 at 10:20 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Major General

For anyone who listened to the post-game show with Larry and AG...AG wasn't having any of Larry's attempt to sugarcoat or find any sort of silver lining. You could feel AG seething through the radio. Larry made a feeble attempt at throwing out a "points off turnover" stat at AG saying maybe that's where the game was lost, or that it was poor defense, etc. AG's response was: "it was offense and defense and I don't look at stats, what I saw on the floor was related to effort..."
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (01-18-2018), flyerfanatic86 (01-18-2018), jack72 (01-18-2018), shocka43 (01-18-2018), TXFlyerFan (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
The 2018 Dayton Flyers

have quit on their coach. They are going through the motions and defying his advice. There is a complete disconnect between what the coach says and what we see on the court. Xerious Williams should take a seat and watch for a while. He looks like he has not practiced in over a year. Crutcher had a fine effort and looks like a magnificent scoring guard not necessarily a point guard who distributes the ball to team mates and runs a half court offense. Darrell Davis is having a great year but he gets guarded against the better teams as does JC. There is absolutely no defensive know how in the man structure. No "D" played with the feet all hands.
Zone is the only viable option and they cannot rebound out of the zone. What is the hope for the future? In a word....transfers.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
have quit on their coach. They are going through the motions and defying his advice. There is a complete disconnect between what the coach says and what we see on the court. Xerious Williams should take a seat and watch for a while. He looks like he has not practiced in over a year. Crutcher had a fine effort and looks like a magnificent scoring guard not necessarily a point guard who distributes the ball to team mates and runs a half court offense. Darrell Davis is having a great year but he gets guarded against the better teams as does JC. There is absolutely no defensive know how in the man structure. No "D" played with the feet all hands.
Zone is the only viable option and they cannot rebound out of the zone. What is the hope for the future? In a word....transfers.
I assume you mean quit last night, but maybe not by your title. The team did not quit on the 9 games they won and many they lost, like Miss St, ODU, Auburn and St Mary's. Don't confuse lack of talent and inexperience with lack of effort. This team came off of one of the best efforts we have seen in the VCU game. So like a bunch of inexperienced players they thought they could get by on talent. At this point we only have two talented players, and the rest are nothing without effort.

Did they quit last night? Heck they barely started. It reminded me of the low scoring game we lost at Fordham under Archie.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
By Standards Achieved By The Dayton Program

this edition has quit on the coach and the season. They exhibit minimum effort. Not all of the players but some.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
this edition has quit on the coach and the season. They exhibit minimum effort. Not all of the players but some.
Did they against VCU and Richmond? There is a difference between a letdown and quitting for the season.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:26 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
It reminded me of the low scoring game we lost at Fordham under Archie.
Archie didn't lose against Fordham in his entire term as coach.