UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
SLUs Rygelski

SLUs OH1 has taken 1001 swings this year. As a comparison Jess has taken the most swings for UD at 641. They both play 6 rotations as the OH1. Rygelski's arm has to feel like it's having an out of body experience most weeks. I can't imagine her not winning the POY for the A10.

It appears SLUs other OH Okoro must be out for the year with injury. She is on the roster but has not played and I did not see her dressed out for our match, but could have missed it. This has hurt SLU. I'm sure they scheduled thinking they had two experienced and talented OHs. Okoro played well against us last year. For whatever reason, that didn't happen. Plus they are going with two setters who aren't very tall. One is a senior, so they might be going next year with a freshman setter.

HC Miller has had some solid recruiting classes, but has for one reason or another, not been able to pull it together. We need 3 strong teams in the A10 and another 2 that push those 3 and win OOC matches. The conference is a long way from that right now.
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Rygelski might have the swings, but if Sloo continues to lose matches, gonna be tough to get POY from a mediocre team. If theres a player from Dayton with some honest comparable (strong) numbers, I think being on the first place team may trump that if the Bills are middle of the pack.

Just saying it may not be a slam dunk. Postseason awards tend to favor the best player on the best team (fair or unfair).

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 02:42 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I can appreciate that Chris, but right now there is no other horse in this race. The closest option is Amber. But when you are a 3 rotation player vs a 6 rotation player, you have to do everything at a very high level. Amber had a couple so-so hitting weeks in the A10 when she and Jane's timing was off. She has time to turn this around, but right now both Kendyll and Jamie and a couple other players from other teams have higher hitting percentages than Amber in conference only stats. She could end up with the best hitting percentage in the A10, but it will take a massive effort to fix the other area. She isn't a top blocker right now, not even averaging 1.0 blocks per set and the A10 doesn't even list you if you don't hit that mark. In the past we have had POY MBs (Barhorst, Fletmier) but both had great hitting percentages and were top blockers. There is time for Amber to step up and excel in both these areas, but even then I think Rygelski runs away with this. She is leading the country in both kills per set at 5.9 and the most important individual stat -points per set at 7.5. And she is doing this on a team where EVERYONE they play KNOWS where the ball is going. And she's doing it against the toughest schedule in the A10. SLUs SOS is currently ranked 73. Dayton's is 150. In the end both players will be on the all-conference team with several other UD players.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that in a close race the nod would go to the player on a winning team but this doesn't seam close enough to have anyone else in the running. 7.5 points per set is pretty close to amazing and think how many double blocks she has hit against. I would like for UD players to win every award but in this case I have to say she deserves it.

I'm looking forward to seeing her play in a ud win at the frericks

Last edited by UDBrian; 10-12-2016 at 03:09 PM..
Old 10-12-2016, 03:07 PM

I do want to add something about Ambers blocking numbers. She plays MB1. That means she has 2 of her 3 rotations with Jane holding down the Rightside spot in the front row. So for those rotations its 5'10" Jane and 6' Amber blocking the opponents OH. For Janes size, she is a pretty good blocker. But it's a fact teams can hit over her. I think Amber is a good blocker, but blocking is a pairs function most attempts so Amber does have a little bit of a disadvantage when paired with Jane's height. No disrespect to Jane. I'm 5'7". It would be disaster if Amber was paired with me.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
My question is, is this Sloo girl really that good or is she simply a stat byproduct of taking so many swings. I dont know - thats why Im asking. GW mens basketball used to have the leading scorer in the A10 every single year by a wide margin, but it was because they took 30 shots a game and their teammates were substandard. And they always shot under 40%.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 10-12-2016, 08:55 PM

Fair question. She is hitting .273 from the OH1 position and plays all 6 rotations hitting out of the back row. Point of reference - last year's A10 POY Alaina Turner played the same position, all 6 rotations and hit .228. Rygelski is running away with this. She also deserves to be an AA, but we will see if she get a 1st team selection. I agree with you that at that level on a team that probably won't make the NCAAs, it will probably come into play. She will probably drop to 2nd team, and maybe even HM.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (10-12-2016)