Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Blocking MUST improve

Against GW, Dayton had - no BS ( which I think means block scores )

After the GM game we get St. Louis.

Look what is coming. Against GM, the SLU OH "Rygelski" had 31, yes 31, K's in a three set match won by SLU (25-19, 25-23 and 31-29).

It is a good thing TH has time to plan for this. Maybe he plays AE and KB together at the net.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2016, 02:48 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,407 Times in 2,482 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I like blocking so tend to watch it more than the average fan. And from my posts this year it's been a concern. It is a work in progress. We have improved some, but sit at around 2.2 blocks per set. Good blocking teams are over 2.6. We have the talent, just haven't put it together yet. Your MBs are going to get the most blocks because they have a shot at every attack. Then your right side OH will have the next most chances to block This spot also is occupied by the setter for 3 rotations. And last in block attempts would be your left OHs. With our offense, all 3 OHs play both left and right spots, so that evens it out a little.

This coaching staff does a lot of things better than the Sheffield staff. But I have to give credit where credit is due and the previous staff was better at coaching the block. We use to swing block, which is preferred by team USA. We don't swing block now but I don't know enough about it to know what the best technique is. I do know it takes awhile for a team to 'get' swing blocking. Like 2 years for most players/teams. So you can't just implement it for next weekend.

Rygelski will be a challenge and require extra attention. I'm glad we play them twice, because we need to be challenged in this area of the game.

Finally, I'm not sure what the block scores means. We did have 7.5 blocks against GW. You only get credited for blocks that score a point. The .5 block is recorded when you have a triple block up that works. Any ball blocked back over the net that is dug up is not a block that shows up on the stat sheet. You have to score off a block. Same for a block that is tipped back and your teammate digs it. Those are sometimes called block touches, but they are not blocks.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-24-2016 at 02:53 PM..
Old 09-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
BS= Block solo

http://tennesseevolleyball.net/2007/...all-box-score/

We definitely had blocks that scored. I don't think a block counts unless there is a score.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think that BA means block assist and BS means block solo If they cannot determine who made the block they share it between players as a block assist. If only one player is there for the block it is pretty obvious, it is a solo block

It is very possible that Jamie will be on the Right Side to block against Rygelski. I haven't watched this in detail but I think that Jamie is staying on the left side if that is the way the rotation works out. It is possible that they may run Jamie from left to right to block against Rygelski because there isn't much doubt Jamie is our best outside blocker. BECKYSTXA mentioned that they substituted Brianna for Jess at one point. If Jess is directly across from Rygelski this might happen against SLU if they can afford the substitution

Jess and Jamie were both credited with two BA in the last match, Bruns had three so the blocking is improving but still needs to get better

Last edited by UDBrian; 09-24-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Old 09-24-2016, 04:44 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
BA is block assist and BS is a solo block. BE is blocking error.

They have been playing at least Lauren and Jamie on both outsides. Last year Jess also played some right side but not sure if she is doing that this year. And they did bring Bri in for Jane for at least one rotation to put 3 hitters on the net at the end of at least one set.

For the home match, I think the home team gets to put in their rotation last. So we can set it up where Jamie plays all 3 rotations against Rygelski. Probably 2 with Amber and 1 with Kendyll. SLUs other good OH hasn't played yet this year, so you have to guess she is hurt. If she is back, it will put more pressure on our blockers to help our back row defense.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:15 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
My apology for saying they replaced Jess with Bri, it was Jane If Rygelski ends up across from Jane we might see that again. Maybe that was practice

The SLU match is on the road so they can make the last lineup change I believe. It will be interesting to see what they do
Old 09-25-2016, 03:35 PM

UDBrian is correct. SLU will try to match up Rygelski against our weakest blocker. By height default that is Jane. It was good to see Bri put up 2 blocks in the 1 set she played today. We may see some of the Bri for Jane subbing if Rygelski gets on a roll. It will also be important for the middle to close the block on the Rightside to stop her. We've had some holes this year as players learn to play next to each other. Blocking is very much a team sport.

We will also probably put our best digging defenders in the back row when Rygelski is up front. And we will have to serve very well so they pass poorly. If we know it's going to her, our block can get set.

Nice we only have one match this week to prepare for SLU.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Maybe we will play similarly to what GW did against us. Cheat on the block always expecting a set to Rygelski and allow other hitters to go one on one.

And I agree on the serving, everything is much tougher on outside hitters when passing is bad and they are getting sets from bad angles instead of the set coming from 5' off the net.