UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,165 Times in 5,121 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Flyers sweep SBU this weekend

Golz' team swept St. Bonaventure this weekend 5-1 on Thursday and 2-0 this afternoon at Baujan. The Bonnies goal on THU was their first and only goal of the season so they are obviously winless (and terrible).

The Thursday game was streamed but not todays match. I watched Thursday and we looked REALLY solid. Moved the ball around well, got a couple early goals and then mostly coasted in the second half by adding some insurance. The goal we gave up was a botch defensive sequence with our backs and GK as a set piece ball was kicked into the box and went untouched on one hop into the net. Everybody thought there would be a tough but there wasnt.

Gemelli continued to stay hot with two more goals. Going into today's match she was leading the league in goals (8). Pretty good for a frosh.

Today's game was StatTracker only but looked like much the same from the box. Both goals were on PKs so nothing in the run of play which is a little disappointing - but we dominated in shots 24-2 and corner kicks 6-0 so we did everything but put it in the net. And Golz played 21 players so he spread the minutes around.

The two wins put us at 7-3-1 (4-1-1) heading into the final two games of the season at Saint Louis next week. SLU is responsible for our only loss in league play. Right now we're sitting comfortable in 2nd place in the newfangled Covid West division behind SLU. I think the top two teams in each of the three divisions make the A10 Tourney so we should already have our ticket punched. SLU is 6-0 and best of anyone in the A10, but Dayton is 4-1-1 and the only other team with fewer than 2 losses and the next best overall winning percentage. Its REAL tough to gauge just how good everyone is because teams only played within their divisions. That meant we played Duquesne twice, SLU 3 times, and SBU three times. SBU is the worst team in the A10. Duquesne is not good either. But we played SLU really tough in the earlier match.

On paper it might suggest UD is the 2nd best team in the A10 at this stage but we have not gone up against LaSalle and UMass and Davidson and I think their pods have been overall tougher than ours -- though there is no SLU type team in any other division but ours.

These next two SLU games should be good barometers in how much progress we've made. Was the last game vs the Bills just a flash in the pan or can we honestly hang with a Top-20 team in terms of tactics, possession, and run of play (regardless of score?). This as much as anything else will tell us how far we've come this year.

One last thing. After the SBU match on Thursday Golz talked about his team and described them as a good team. Hes pretty reserved in heaping unearned praise and this is the first time since he's taken over the program that I can remember him labeling the team a strong talented side. This tells me he likes what he's seeing but more importantly he feels more comfortable placing additional responsibility on them in terms of performance expectations. We are still so young, but the talent pool has seen a major upgrade in the last two recruiting cycles.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (04-05-2021)
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post

Right now we're sitting comfortable in 2nd place in the newfangled Covid West division behind SLU. I think the top two teams in each of the three divisions make the A10 Tourney so we should already have our ticket punched. SLU is 6-0 and best of anyone in the A10, but Dayton is 4-1-1 and the only other team with fewer than 2 losses and the next best overall winning percentage.

Check that. Only 4 teams qualify. SLU is the only team that has clinched an appearance in the semifinals. Dayton has to at least split or draw in this upcoming road series to keep pace with the other divisions, particularly the A10 North where three of the five teams are still in the running.

Because of COVID cancellation in the Fordham-La Salle match, I am not sure what will happen if UMass finishes 5-2-1, and La Salle finishes 5-2. Another possible scenario is UMass at 4-2-2, and Fordham/La Salle at 4-2-1. Normally you'd tip UMass the bid with 1 more pts than the other team. But they are supposedly going by "conference winning percentage." As such, the umass tie won't count favorably. It might even go in as half of a win, in which case 5 wins in 7 games is actually 2 hundredths better than 5 wins and a tie in 8 games? (Unofficially. ) I am sure that the tiebreakers are going to be more complicated than usual. I would have thought Fordham/La Salle should have announced a make-up by now if they were going to, but in a normal season, it is possible they would wait to announce it until it became meaningful for playoff implications. If I recall right, softball has a "no makeups" rule even before COVID but I remember soccer going to greater lengths in past years to make up contests to allow some semblance of schedule parity.

Long story short, Dayton has control of its destiny, but it is by no means a comfortable situation to be in. And even if Dayton gets the 4th seed, the reward would appear to be a third straight match at St Louis...
Old 04-06-2021, 04:37 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,165 Times in 5,121 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Dang! I thought it was six with a 2-team bye for the two highest winning % teams. Yeah we definitely have work to do and I think we are among the four best teams. But playing SLU three times is a tough ask to overcome when the A10 season was so short.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 04-06-2021, 10:11 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
URI is on COVID pause. So it turns out scheduling URI on the tail end of your season is not the boon it was thought to be after all. I think this will mean the ceiling for La Salle is 4-2-0 instead of 5-2-0. VCU, still in contention also has a 4-2 ceiling. It does not look like the A10 has any plans to do makeup games or play in games, creating a lopsided situation where these two teams have 6 results but most everyone else played 8. Right now it is looking like 6 or 7 teams or so are still in contention for the last 3 spots after St Louis. Teams ranked any better than 4-2 appear to be safely in. Teams sitting at 4-2, or worse, may still need help from other results around the league. We shall see. Just win, baby.